ADVERTISEMENT

Future Lineups & Potential Logjams

How could Yianni not be ahead of him for anyone that is not an HR regular? I know I make a bunch of jokes about this but Yianni has 1 loss in his career - to a guy who was a 4x AA, finalist and would have been a 5x AA if he didn't default out last year. Spencer has 5 losses including getting pinned by Pincininni and going 2-2 in his career against Rivera! Spencer is 78-5 which probably doesn't even make the PSU top 5 winning percentage.

Yianni has won over 75 consecutive matches. Please compare that to Spencer's win streak. Dake had a 77-match win streak in his career.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that Spencer has spent his entire career at 125 which is statistically the youngest and thinnest weight class because all the little guy lovers will get all over me.

Stieber gets no respect and only has 3 losses in his career - Zain, Oliver, and Dardanes. Give him another loss to Oliver and he still has only 4.

And if you want to be really objective about it, the only reason Spencer is getting a shot at his 4th is that he is getting his 6th year - 10 or 20 years back this was not happening no matter how injured you were. There are plenty of 3x'ers whose careers would be ranked ahead of his - even if he goes undefeated this year - if looked at objectively. It's kind of silly - and all marketing - when people talk about him being top 5 or even close to the top 10 of all time. Just say he had a great tilt and move on.
He has a great tilt.

Reactions: dicemen99
Not that it’s his fault but Zain wrestled in weak overall weight classes for most of his career. Besides his victory over Stieber, his best competition was Brandon Sorensen
Might have been Zain's fault.

tumblr_o4m0h00usI1qzx6lmo1_1280.jpg

How could Yianni not be ahead of him for anyone that is not an HR regular? I know I make a bunch of jokes about this but Yianni has 1 loss in his career - to a guy who was a 4x AA, finalist and would have been a 5x AA if he didn't default out last year. Spencer has 5 losses including getting pinned by Pincininni and going 2-2 in his career against Rivera! Spencer is 78-5 which probably doesn't even make the PSU top 5 winning percentage.

Yianni has won over 75 consecutive matches. Please compare that to Spencer's win streak. Dake had a 77-match win streak in his career.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that Spencer has spent his entire career at 125 which is statistically the youngest and thinnest weight class because all the little guy lovers will get all over me.

Stieber gets no respect and only has 3 losses in his career - Zain, Oliver, and Dardanes. Give him another loss to Oliver and he still has only 4.

And if you want to be really objective about it, the only reason Spencer is getting a shot at his 4th is that he is getting his 6th year - 10 or 20 years back this was not happening no matter how injured you were. There are plenty of 3x'ers whose careers would be ranked ahead of his - even if he goes undefeated this year - if looked at objectively. It's kind of silly - and all marketing - when people talk about him being top 5 or even close to the top 10 of all time. Just say he had a great tilt and move on.
Great argument! I listened to flo debate this recently and I think they of course went with Spencer “because he is so dominant” in his wins. I don’t like that line of thought. Yes, he has a ton of techs and falls but like you pointed out he has 5 losses while Yianni has 1. I really want to hear the HR response to your post.
My wish list:

Hopke
Duke is going to Cornell source told me
Correa
Davino
Forest
I forgot about Correa. He’s going to be really good. Projects as a heavy in college? Would you rather get Correa or Hopke? Cael has a couple years to work on Duke and show him he belongs at PSU

Yes its fair to compare overall records and losses but in Spencer's favor, he has a shot at finishing as the 2nd highest scorer at NCAAs.

Link

Not that it’s his fault but Zain wrestled in weak overall weight classes for most of his career. Besides his victory over Stieber, his best competition was Brandon Sorensen
So, Zain's two best victories in his career are Logan Stieber (4x NCAA champ) and Brandon Sorenson (NCAA finalist and 4x AA) - who he beat 6 times in his career without a loss - not an easy feat.

Spencer's two best are Suriano once and Tomasello twice (with a loss). Next best win - Pat Glory?? Ha!

Tell me what I'm missing. Again, Spencer lost to Ronnie Bresser, Nick Piccinini, and Rivera twice.

Great argument! I listened to flo debate this recently and I think they of course went with Spencer “because he is so dominant” in his wins. I don’t like that line of thought. Yes, he has a ton of techs and falls but like you pointed out he has 5 losses while Yianni has 1. I really want to hear the HR response to your post.
If Flo went with Spencer because he is "so dominant" then I'm sure they will agree that David Taylor's NCAA career should be ranked ahead of Kyle Dake's - it's not really close.

It makes sense because Flo is the TMZ of wrestling media and I would liken Spencer to the People Magazine GOAT of wrestling.

That’s the “worse loss” in case you missed it.

No, none of those others ever came close to being pinned,would bet most of them never even gave up NF.
Yianni's only loss was to Eierman who took him down with a cradle to a NF with :10 left (Yianni was up 6-4 and lost 9-6). IIRC, he was only turned one other time (maybe twice).

Yes its fair to compare overall records and losses but in Spencer's favor, he has a shot at finishing as the 2nd highest scorer at NCAAs.

Link
Dan Gable is 25th on that list and falling fast.

Somebody tell me how Spencer Lee is a greater college wrestler than Dan Gable.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I think it goes something like "something something bonus wins something something two bad knees something something..."

Fatwa-worthy stat:

- Daton Fix (zero NCAA titles): 73-4, 94.8%
- Spencer Lee: 78-5, 94.0%

With Lee possibly not wrestling a full schedule, it's quite feasible for Fix to lose in the finals yet again and still have a better career W-L record after this year.
With Fix wrestling at "Cut Weight University", maybe he could stay away from dad's juice, slim down to 125 and put an end to the entire HR fantasy land festival.

So, Zain's two best victories in his career are Logan Stieber (4x NCAA champ) and Brandon Sorenson (NCAA finalist and 4x AA) - who he beat 6 times in his career without a loss - not an easy feat.

Spencer's two best are Suriano once and Tomasello twice (with a loss). Next best win - Pat Glory?? Ha!

Tell me what I'm missing. Again, Spencer lost to Ronnie Bresser, Nick Piccinini, and Rivera twice.
Rivera (4 time AA) is Spencer’s next best wins with 2 losses. Suriano and Tomasello are both former National Champions.

Rivera (4 time AA) is Spencer’s next best wins with 2 losses. Suriano and Tomasello are both former National Champions.
Rivera also beat him twice. And was not as good a college wrestler as Sorensen.

We're quibbling which is exactly my point.

#1 win - Steiber (ZR)
#2 win - Suriano (SL)
#3 win - Tomasello x2 (SL)
#4 win - Sorenson x6 (ZR)

Worst loss - Bresser (SL)
2nd worst - Piccinini (by fall) (SL)
3rd worst - Rivera x2 (SL)
4th worst - Mitchell Port - returning NCAA finalist at the time (ZR)

I put Zain up there as his career and Spencers will only be fairly comparable if Spencer goes undefeated this year. And Zain was ranked 16th in the last Intermat all-time wrestler rankings, which was fair. 15 to 20 type guy all-time.

Hopefully Spencer can finish undefeated this year and work his way into the top 20.

Last edited:
Rivera also beat him twice. And was not as good a college wrestler as Sorensen.

We're quibbling which is exactly my point.I put Zain up there as his career and Spencers will only be fairly comparable if Spencer goes undefeated this year. And Zain was ranked 16th in the last Intermat all-time wrestler rankings, which was fair. 15 to 20 type guy all-time.

Hopefully Spencer can finish undefeated this year and work his way into the top 20.
Becoming only the 5th four time champ should put him in the top 20.

Agreed.

Sarcasm aside, if CS wins his 5th a couple of years from now I'm sure you will agree that he is the GOAT.;)
then you get into the unfair advantage of having another year.... what if Cael could go another, etc, etc...

Agreed.

Sarcasm aside, if CS wins his 5th a couple of years from now I'm sure you will agree that he is the GOAT.;)
Cael has another year?

Seriously, if Carter runs the table, he's a 4x champ with 1 career loss as a freshman to an NCAA Finalist/4x AA, and several wins over NCAA champs/finalists. Which is basically Yianni's career.

Cael has another year?

Seriously, if Carter runs the table, he's a 4x champ with 1 career loss as a freshman to an NCAA Finalist/4x AA, and several wins over NCAA champs/finalists. Which is basically Yianni's career.
Hate to break it to you, but Carter has two losses.

Carter has 2 losses.
Yeah, I forgot about Washington.

Career wins are probably comparable.
Carter would have multiple vs. Lewis and Kemerer, plus Hidlay. Plus whoever is incoming/upcoming.

Yianni would have 2x McKenna, 2x Eierman, Meredith, Heil one match before Heil got pinned by Red in the blood round, early-career Nick Lee, and Sasso.

Carter would have multiple vs. Lewis and Kemerer, plus Hidlay. Plus whoever is incoming/upcoming.

Yianni would have 2x McKenna, 2x Eierman, Meredith, Heil one match before Heil got pinned by Red in the blood round, early-career Nick Lee, and Sasso.
Let's just say this, I am jazzed to see Carter win the next 2 and mow through the field with an 80%+ bonus rate.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Carter would have multiple vs. Lewis (only 1x) and Kemerer (2x plus that loss), plus Hidlay and 3x Massa. Plus whoever is incoming/upcoming (wrestlestat shows pretty much nobodies in his upcoming matches).

Yianni would have 2x McKenna, 3x Eierman, Meredith 2x (both when Meredith was #1), Heil one match before Heil got pinned by Red in the blood round, early-career Nick Lee, and 2x Sasso. Yianni has Gomez, Parco, and Sasso (again) in his upcoming matches.

Any list will be tainted by the views of the author(s). The only thing I can say with certain confidence is Cael is/was/and may always be the greatest college wrestler of all time and it isn't even close. I can also say Jason Nolf has been my favorite wrestler to watch since Cael by a wide margin. It is ok to hold a bias. It is what makes us fans. Calling a great poster like JMadden an idiot for thinking Spencer Lee is top flight seems reckless and unfair.

Thanks Dicemen, great argument and support.

I will always have a hard time considering a 125lb or Hwt as a GOAT.
I'm right with you, but as I pointed out earlier, I'm leaving that out of my argument. Whether it is 106 or 125, people always point out the talent that passes through those weight classes, but conveniently leave out that is passes through when it is less mature on their way to real weight classes (95% of the time in HS and 75% of the time in college). As far as the HWT, well, at the ends of the bell curve you've got less competition. People call this crop of 285s passing through "generational." You see that kind of depth at one of the middle weights pretty much every year. That holds true for 125 as well.

Any list will be tainted by the views of the author(s). The only thing I can say with certain confidence is Cael is/was/and may always be the greatest college wrestler of all time and it isn't even close. I can also say Jason Nolf has been my favorite wrestler to watch since Cael by a wide margin. It is ok to hold a bias. It is what makes us fans. Calling a great poster like JMadden an idiot for thinking Spencer Lee is top flight seems reckless and unfair.
I'm not sure why that guy called JMadden an idiot, but it may not have to do with thinking Spencer Lee is top flight. As far as I can see above, the only thing JMadden thinks about Spencer is that he has a great tilt and could possibly be a top 20 wrestler of all time if he wins his 4th. ;)

I think Spencer is top-flight as well, so maybe Nittany thinks I'm an idiot (now I've got myself confused). I just don't think he's "generational" or even the top wrestler of his NCAA era. I think he's in a position to be comparable with a bunch of guys we've seen over the past 10 years if he finishes strong.

He's got a great PR team, though, and that's been true since he was back in HS. Where he lost a few times as well.

Dan Gable is 25th on that list and falling fast.

Somebody tell me how Spencer Lee is a greater college wrestler than Dan Gable.
Actually, the thing that jumps out at me is if Gable, Hodge, and Owings had wrestled 4 years, they may have well been in the top 5 and possible Gable would have been in the top position. I know it's a lotta IFs, but Gable almost had the same number of bonus points in 3 years as Cael had in 4. Maybe I'm reading the data wrong, or maybe the tourney points were different back then. FWIW, it wouldn't be first time for me to be wrong.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT