ADVERTISEMENT

Interviews w/ our All Stars

Carter is ultra confident, you might even say cocky, AND he has backed it up by winning TWO National Championships and he’s not done yet.

Gilman was an arrogant punk who disrespected his opponents and the sport AND he failed to back it up as a ZERO time National Champion.

BIG difference. Apples and Oranges, in fact.
Well put 🤦‍♂️

Carter is ultra confident, you might even say cocky, AND he has backed it up by winning TWO National Championships and he’s not done yet.

Gilman was an arrogant punk who disrespected his opponents and the sport AND he failed to back it up as a ZERO time National Champion.

BIG difference. Apples and Oranges, in fact.
I can understand someone not liking college Gilman. I enjoyed his antics as a fan--even while I hope I'm raising my boys to act differently. I never rooted for him against PSU of course, but I thought TG brought some color to a pretty vanilla flavor you typically get in the sport. But I get it--it's not for everyone.

What I can't quite wrap my head around is you continuing to dislike him. He's (relatively) humble, reflective, grateful, erudite, and downright deep these days. And now he seems able to achieve the type of winning at the highest level that he was indeed incapable of in college. What's your beef? Or is it just that his prior tough guy act was just too much for you, and he's irredeemable? Seems harsh, but maybe you were a bona-fide choir-boy in college. I know I wasn't.

I can understand someone not liking college Gilman. I enjoyed his antics as a fan--even while I hope I'm raising my boys to act differently. I never rooted for him against PSU of course, but I thought TG brought some color to a pretty vanilla flavor you typically get in the sport. But I get it--it's not for everyone.

What I can't quite wrap my head around is you continuing to dislike him. He's (relatively) humble, reflective, grateful, erudite, and downright deep these days. And now he seems able to achieve the type of winning at the highest level that he was indeed incapable of in college. What's your beef? Or is it just that his prior tough guy act was just too much for you, and he's irredeemable? Seems harsh, but maybe you were a bona-fide choir-boy in college. I know I wasn't.
I never liked him in college for numerous reasons I won’t reiterate now, as I’ve listed them multiple times. As for now, I don’t think he’s displayed any monumental leaps in maturity that would make me change my mind. Just because he’s in the NLWC, isn’t reason enough to change my opinion. Of course, you’re welcome to yours as well.

I never liked him in college for numerous reasons I won’t reiterate now, as I’ve listed them multiple times. As for now, I don’t think he’s displayed any monumental leaps in maturity that would make me change my mind. Just because he’s in the NLWC, isn’t reason enough to change my opinion. Of course, you’re welcome to yours as well.
If you ask me, the whole “my opinion, your opinion” schtick is kind of a conversation killer, but I’m sure Thomas cares quite a bit less about both of our opinions than either of us do, lol.

If you ask me, the whole “my opinion, your opinion” schtick is kind of a conversation killer, but I’m sure Thomas cares quite a bit less about both of our opinions than either of us do, lol.
It’s not worth relitigating the many reasons I’ve already mentioned. I will just note that your calling Gilman “erudite” is most certainly a bridge too far for me.

It’s not worth relitigating the many reasons I’ve already mentioned. I will just note that your calling Gilman “erudite” is most certainly a bridge too far for me.
Ahhhhh, all these opinions of yours must’ve been in that one thread I avoided like the plague the last few years. No need to go there now, I’ll agree with you there. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: WexfordWarrior
Carter was recruited by the guy with the eye, the rest is irrelevant.
but wasn't cael relatively late to the party? i think i remember willie talking about how he didn't get the lack of attention and it seemed like minnesota was the leader.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Carter makes me think of Muhammad Ali. Ali’s vociferous, boastful personality was shunned by many when he came on the scene. It was antithetical to the cliché of the humble, speak softly and carry a big stick, just happy to be here athlete. However, he backed it up just as Carter has done. For me, there’s room for all personalities. From the humble, more soft spoken Aaron Brooks to the brash, ultra confident Carter Starocci. Neither is more “right” than the other.

Reactions: nitlion6
but wasn't cael relatively late to the party? i think i remember willie talking about how he didn't get the lack of attention and it seemed like minnesota was the leader.
Virginia Tech was if any. IIRC, Carter gave the coaches (Robie, Frayer) some extra love after his match with Mekhi this year.

Reactions: El-Jefe
I realize it’s very presumptuous to say this, but if Carter gets 4 straight titles, and passes on a chance for Number 5….not going to lie, I’ll be bummed 🙁
Watching and listening to Carter over the years I am pretty certain when I say the following:
1. He is quite grateful to his father and coaches for getting him to where he is.
2. He is extremely confident in himself because of those contributions and his own work ethic.
3. He doesn't give a rat's ass about whether you or I are "bummed" by his decisions. He has a plan. It might change in the future. But his decisions will not be affected in the least by our wishes. He is a unique character. Enjoy the ride.....however long it lasts.

Watching and listening to Carter over the years I am pretty certain when I say the following:
1. He is quite grateful to his father and coaches for getting him to where he is.
2. He is extremely confident in himself because of those contributions and his own work ethic.
3. He doesn't give a rat's ass about whether you or I are "bummed" by his decisions. He has a plan. It might change in the future. But his decisions will not be affected in the least by our wishes. He is a unique character. Enjoy the ride.....however long it lasts.
Winning five might only be trumped by the fact that he PASSED on the opportunity.

I realize it’s very presumptuous to say this, but if Carter gets 4 straight titles, and passes on a chance for Number 5….not going to lie, I’ll be bummed 🙁
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT