ADVERTISEMENT

Future Lineups & Potential Logjams

Actually, the thing that jumps out at me is if Gable, Hodge, and Owings had wrestled 4 years, they may have well been in the top 5 and possible Gable would have been in the top position. I know it's a lotta IFs, but Gable almost had the same number of bonus points in 3 years as Cael had in 4. Maybe I'm reading the data wrong, or maybe the tourney points were different back then. FWIW, it wouldn't be first time for me to be wrong.
Don’t have time to research the bonus point issue right now, but one crazy stat almost no one mentions is that Cael was OW at NCAAs all 4 years - no one else has more than 2. That’s crazy.

edit - just looked at Gable’s record. He wrestled 17 matches in 3 tournaments - 6 in two of the years and 5 in his junior year; Cael wrestled 20 in 4. Gable pinned a bunch of dudes - perhaps these 2 extra matches were pigtails?

Last edited:
200w.gif
giphy.gif

LMAO. I just listened to yesterdays FRL. Did anyone else catch Bens argument with the others, saying Iowa recruits never get better? The others disagree but I agree with him 100 percent. You look at the elite guys they bring in, guys their fans predict national championship if not multiple ones and most never really get much better than their superb freshman seasons. Sorry, Shane Sparks and Iowa fans, Ben is spot on with that one.

Reactions: gptakba and danoftw
Yeah, I forgot about Washington.

Career wins are probably comparable.
Carter would have multiple vs. Lewis and Kemerer, plus Hidlay. Plus whoever is incoming/upcoming.

Yianni would have 2x McKenna, 2x Eierman, Meredith, Heil one match before Heil got pinned by Red in the blood round, early-career Nick Lee, and Sasso.
Well your partially right once yani loses to van Ness in the finals it will be the same again lol

LMAO. I just listened to yesterdays FRL. Did anyone else catch Bens argument with the others, saying Iowa recruits never get better? The others disagree but I agree with him 100 percent. You look at the elite guys they bring in, guys their fans predict national championship if not multiple ones and most never really get much better than their superb freshman seasons. Sorry, Shane Sparks and Iowa fans, Ben is spot on with that one.
Nicolls is on record on the HR the other day saying that Iowa is #1 in recruiting in the last two classes that are arriving. Of course, he stopped short of predicting that turns into a NC in a couple of years. I mean we still have a larger endowment than them for the NLWC, you know??
i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Nicolls is on record on the HR the other day saying that Iowa is #1 in recruiting in the last two classes that are arriving. Of course, he stopped short of predicting that turns into a NC in a couple of years. I mean we still have a larger endowment than them for the NLWC, you know??
i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon
He said they are set with the exception of one weight..157. I seriously hope the Iowa coaches agree with him. Those fools over there want to run down Cael for packing his roster with studs…calling him a dirt bag for recruiting over kids but give me a coach like that any day. If Cael would have moved over to Iowa a couple seasons ago, does anyone think he wouldn’t have been looking to find guys so little Brands, Assad and Murin wouldn’t be in his lineup? If he were to go right now, does anyone think he wouldn’t be looking to recruit over Kolby Franklin or even Gabe Arnold? Or be content with Keuter possibly never wrestling?

Reactions: danoftw
He said they are set with the exception of one weight..157. I seriously hope the Iowa coaches agree with him. Those fools over there want to run down Cael for packing his roster with studs…calling him a dirt bag for recruiting over kids but give me a coach like that any day. If Cael would have moved over to Iowa a couple seasons ago, does anyone think he wouldn’t have been looking to find guys so little Brands, Assad and Murin wouldn’t be in his lineup? If he were to go right now, does anyone think he wouldn’t be looking to recruit over Kolby Franklin or even Gabe Arnold? Or be content with Keuter possibly never wrestling?
I am not so sure it is recruiting over. Sounds like it is more the sell of the environment - come here and try and make the lineup. To me it doesn't sound like it is over recruiting when every recruit understands the competitive room.

Reactions: hlstone
I am not so sure it is recruiting over. Sounds like it is more the sell of the environment - come here and try and make the lineup. To me it doesn't sound like it is over recruiting when every recruit understands the competitive room.
I'm using the verbiage of a Hawk fan. I certainly agree with you. I do however feel Cael is going to try to get the best kid he possibly can if he fits the program.

Last edited:
Yep. assuming our guys were at Iowa, Eireman, Marinelli, Kemerer all win at least one each, probably multiples, maybe even ADS.

Not everyone is a Spencer Lee, in a relatively weak weight class barring years 1&2. 3&4 are cakewalk's. Note as well the brackets delivered a gift keeping SeaBass on the other side when he had Spencer's number.

The data doesn't lie. Iowa is where blue chippers go to just AA.

Please bookmark all those HR posts laughing at Sealey. They might be fun to look at in 4 years.

Great argument! I listened to flo debate this recently and I think they of course went with Spencer “because he is so dominant” in his wins. I don’t like that line of thought. Yes, he has a ton of techs and falls but like you pointed out he has 5 losses while Yianni has 1. I really want to hear the HR response to your post.

I forgot about Correa. He’s going to be really good. Projects as a heavy in college? Would you rather get Correa or Hopke? Cael has a couple years to work on Duke and show him he belongs at PSU
If we get the Cornell lawyers involved in the Yanni vs Spencer debate, Yanni wins easily 😆

I almost wished posts from HR could be considered for our newly formed post of the year award.

Thread title:
Anyone going to PSU ?

VAK'S REPLY:
Most of the Top 10 P4P recruits at this point, sigh.
According to Flo’s P4P ranking, Iowa has recruits number 2 Kueter, and number 6 Jeseroga.

We have recruits #7 Ryder and 9 Barr. Sealy at 13 isn’t in top ten. So Zak and his HR friends need to stop their whining.

According to Flo’s P4P ranking, Iowa has recruits number 2 Kueter, and number 6 Jeseroga.

We have recruits #7 Ryder and 9 Barr. Sealy at 13 isn’t in top ten. So Zak and his HR friends need to stop their whining.

I have read that but also read he was number one for his class, at his weight maybe? It didn't make sense to me... I thought maybe he was the top JR, but looking at the list he is not.

I have read that but also read he was number one for his class, at his weight maybe? It didn't make sense to me... I thought maybe he was the top JR, but looking at the list he is not.
Willie has Sealey the number 1 junior but not sure if it's updated. If he drops him after S32 he will probably still be top 10. I like willies ranking over flos when it comes to highschool wrestling.

Reactions: Ja1339
Tan Tom has lost how many consecutive recruiting national titles -- so far?

Please bookmark all those HR posts laughing at Sealey. They might be fun to look at in 4 years.
Well, according to HR Goofyland, St John is still closing the gap on Taylor, Kemerer is catching Nolf and DeSanto will prevail this next time against RBY.

Yeah that P4P mixes classes. Our Jr kids are top 5 in their class, and we are not done yet.

Toss in Lelledahl and Hopke and I say our 2024 class would/will be as good if not better than Ohio State's best ever class last year.

And jts is the world's biggest a$$hole...

Oh wait, they kinda nailed that one didn't they? :)
Do you remember the circustances of your very first banning? Were you trying or was it some kind of overreaction. And how many total?

Edit-I won’t fix my typo because people quoted it and it is fitting. I will just add I hate typing on my iPad, sooooo many typos, most on me, some on Siri.

Last edited:
Don’t have time to research the bonus point issue right now, but one crazy stat almost no one mentions is that Cael was OW at NCAAs all 4 years - no one else has more than 2. That’s crazy.

edit - just looked at Gable’s record. He wrestled 17 matches in 3 tournaments - 6 in two of the years and 5 in his junior year; Cael wrestled 20 in 4. Gable pinned a bunch of dudes - perhaps these 2 extra matches were pigtails?
That really is an amazing record.

I was lucky enough to see the bookend years for Cael in person. 1999 in BJC and 2002 in Albany.

Nicolls is on record on the HR the other day saying that Iowa is #1 in recruiting in the last two classes that are arriving. Of course, he stopped short of predicting that turns into a NC in a couple of years. I mean we still have a larger endowment than them for the NLWC,

Until we have 4x ncaa undefeated 4x OW CHAMP 3x hodge winner, Flo can eat sh*t. Cant believe Askren even tolerated that.

Guys want to be in our room, pretty simple. Cael doesn't get every recruit he is interested in, but has a far-better-than-average percentage at getting those he goes after. Things tend to sort themselves out then over time, as others have mentioned...though the coaches do have a rough sense of where kids end up weight-wise when they recruit them.

As an aside, scholarship limits play a part. Scholarship limits are an attempt at leveling the playing field and it does to a degree, but when a sports dynasty happens, it's contagious and folks want to be part of it, athletes and fans alike, and it feeds itself. Still, National Championships are not easy, and I do sense that many take it for granted.

Starting just after high school (for me), Iowa went on a tear that had me admiring the Hawkeyes. Not just their starters were great, but many back-ups too. They created the model, in general, now it's someone else's turn.

Where do you rank Kyle Dake? He had 4 losses in his career. Reese Humphrey, Ohio St (2 time AA), Zack Bailey, Oklahoma (2 time AA), Kevin LeValley, Bucknell (2 time AA) and Donnie Vinson, SUNY-Binghamton. (1 time AA) If we are comparing bad losses, Spencer Lee’s aren’t as bad as Dake. Ronnie Bresser (2 time AA) and we have already gone over the others accolades. In this case, if Spencer wins his fourth, he would have to rank higher than Dake.

Where do you rank Kyle Dake? He had 4 losses in his career. Reese Humphrey, Ohio St (2 time AA), Zack Bailey, Oklahoma (2 time AA), Kevin LeValley, Bucknell (2 time AA) and Donnie Vinson, SUNY-Binghamton. (1 time AA) If we are comparing bad losses, Spencer Lee’s aren’t as bad as Dake. Ronnie Bresser (2 time AA) and we have already gone over the others accolades. In this case, if Spencer wins his fourth, he would have to rank higher than Dake.
Spencer will have won all of his at 125. Dake eon at 4 different weights. That moves Dake in front of Spencer in my book

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT