ADVERTISEMENT

Future Lineups & Potential Logjams

While bringing on Sealy great, this author identifies a possible issue.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...-penn-state-means-for-the-nittany-lion-lineup

Can Cael make all the pieces fit? If I had to venture a guess, I think we see a decommit or a transfer out down the road.
giphy.gif

My favorite line from JD, "As of right now, he’s not a program-changing or unprecedented recruit...". Umm, JD, please tell us who would be a program changing recruit for a team that has won 9 of the last 11 championships.

While bringing on Sealy great, this author identifies a possible issue.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articl...-penn-state-means-for-the-nittany-lion-lineup

Can Cael make all the pieces fit? If I had to venture a guess, I think we see a decommit or a transfer out down the road.
I believe CStar has said he’s not going to take the extra year. If so he’s done after the 23-24 season. That opens up the 24-25 season to potentially be
49 Van Ness
57 Kasak
65 Haines
74 Facundo
84 Barr
Sealy redshirt
Ryder redshirt

In the 25-26 season, there’s potential overlap at 65 with Haines and Sealy and possibly 84 with Barr and Ryder , unless Ryder moves to 97. One other possibility, perhaps Haines stays at 57, opening up 65 for Sealy. But that would create overlap at 49 with Van Ness and Kasak.

I don’t see the logjam as too hard to figure out. 1-2 greyshirt or Olympic RS and it all works out.

149 rFr - SVN
157 Fr/RS - Haines? I’ll go with a redshirt for now
165 rFr - Facundo
174 rSo - Starocci
184 Jr - Brooks
197 Sr - Dean

149 rSo - SVN
157 rFr - Haines, RS - Kasak
165 rSo - Facundo
174 rJr - Starocci
184 Sr - Brooks, RS - Barr
197 ? Maybe we bump up Brooks

149 rJr - SVN
157 rFr - Kasak, OTC Sealy
165 rSo - Haines
174 rJr - Facundo
184 rSr - Starocci, RS - Ryder
197 rFr - Barr

149 rSr - SVN, RS Perry
157 rSo Kasak, RS Sealy
165 rJr - Haines
174 rSr - Facundo
184 rSo - Barr
197 rFr - Ryder

149 rFr - Perry
157 rJr Kasak
165 rFr Sealy
174 rSr - Haines
184 rJr - Barr
197 rSo - Ryder

Reactions: bmw199 and hlstone
149 rFr - Perry
157 rJr Kasak
165 rFr Sealy
174 rSr - Haines
184 rJr - Barr
197 rSo - Ryder
Are you saying I have to wait 4-5 years to get excited about any new top half of the lineup recruits? I just popped the champagne and streamers last night for Sealy.

Oh well, on to the bottom half.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I have a filet and beer in the fridge just waiting for the Hopke commitment, then we will be done with the top half.

Hey wait a minute. I have PJ Duke on my list....

Last edited:
I don’t see the logjam as too hard to figure out. 1-2 greyshirt or Olympic RS and it all works out.

149 rFr - SVN
157 Fr/RS - Haines? I’ll go with a redshirt for now
165 rFr - Facundo
174 rSo - Starocci
184 Jr - Brooks
197 Sr - Dean

149 rSo - SVN
157 rFr - Haines, RS - Kasak
165 rSo - Facundo
174 rJr - Starocci
184 Sr - Brooks, RS - Barr
197 ? Maybe we bump up Brooks

149 rJr - SVN
157 rFr - Kasak, OTC Sealy
165 rSo - Haines
174 rJr - Facundo
184 rSr - Starocci, RS - Ryder
197 rFr - Barr

149 rSr - SVN, RS Perry
157 rSo Kasak, RS Sealy
165 rJr - Haines
174 rSr - Facundo
184 rSo - Barr
197 rFr - Ryder

149 rFr - Perry
157 rJr Kasak
165 rFr Sealy
174 rSr - Haines
184 rJr - Barr
197 rSo - Ryder

Plans can always change, but for now CStar says he’s done after 23-24 season.

Ya, I’m not guaranteeing Carter takes all 5, it was more about showing how the lineup works even with everyone redshirting and using all of their eligibility.

I personally think Carter will use all 5. Just like last season when everyone kept saying RBY wouldn’t come back, I tend to believe the high end guys always use all of their eligibility unless they get severely injured. The rare exception would be Steveson who has a nice WWE deal in place. Even with that deal there was talk that he would return this year, but now there’s reports of a health issue.

NIL and the Snyder schedule make using your eligibility up way easier now. Id love to know the last national champion who was healthy and didn’t use remaining eligibility?

You may not have to look that far back. It appears Gable Steveson.
I specifically mentioned Steveson the paragraph above. I read reports about him having surgery this summer. Before his health problems, most reports had him returning even with his big wwe deal.

I cant wait to see all the guys in navy and blue in 2023.

Full court press Lilledahl, Cael drove to his house , I think we are interested
Sealy was the number 1 guy I wanted so I’m a happy man. My list of the next top guys I really want are
Luke Lilledahl
PJ Duke
Jax Forrest
Koy Hopke
Lilledahl is a big one especially because of the weight. We need a top of the 125 in the pipeline
I know Duke and Jax are young and years away but I see them as some of the top recruits in awhile. Kids that if they continue on the trajectory they are on now will step in and do well from day 1. Hopke is the top heavyweight out there and fits almost perfect time wise with Kerk. I love the recruiting game and it’s fun to speculate especially when your team is PSU. Being in on every top kid is pretty special

Sealy was the number 1 guy I wanted so I’m a happy man. My list of the next top guys I really want are
Luke Lilledahl
PJ Duke
Jax Forrest
Koy Hopke
Lilledahl is a big one especially because of the weight. We need a top of the 125 in the pipeline
I know Duke and Jax are young and years away but I see them as some of the top recruits in awhile. Kids that if they continue on the trajectory they are on now will step in and do well from day 1. Hopke is the top heavyweight out there and fits almost perfect time wise with Kerk. I love the recruiting game and it’s fun to speculate especially when your team is PSU. Being in on every top kid is pretty special
giphy.gif

I l
I will trust Cael & Co. to figure all this out without much difficulty.

I did have one thought…does Sealey’s commitment make it more likely that Haines does NOT redshirt this year as many anticipate? I think the answer is yes. Haines is a go this season.
I love the way you think. Let's get this shit going already

A 160 pound high school junior could end up at 197 in a couple of years.

Logjam; noun. A problem most coaches would love to have.

Also; author looking for something to write about just before season starts.

I believe CStar has said he’s not going to take the extra year. If so he’s done after the 23-24 season.

I counted the times Carter said he'd run it back in the Podcast with Brian Tripp when it was first released. Sure seemed like he'd be going for 5. I listened to it again, thinking I'd post the link and time here, but wouldn't you know, that part was deleted.

In NCAA wrestling why wouldn’t you take all of your eligibility? It’s not like he will be going to the NBA or NFL.

Reactions: mjmirv
I think we can all see a scenario where Carter reassesses, if two years from now he is a 4xer. With two down and two to go, he certainly is the favorite to do it, but there are some mammoth wrestlers who are only 3xers, and it remains a long journey, where injury or even a fluke could derail him.

We can see that Cael's Vulcan mind meld worked pretty well on RBY.

Between facing the reality of becoming the first and only NCAA 5xer in history, coupled with staring down Cael across a desk and saying 'no', I think at the very least, a definitive no is clearly 2 years away.

That said it his decision alone and everyone will respect his choice and celebrate a fantastic career. We will have at least one super stud waiting in the wings to take over if he is done.

Reactions: goldenanimal
I think we can all see a scenario where Carter reassesses, if two years from now he is a 4xer. With two down and two to go, he certainly is the favorite to do it, but there are some mammoth wrestlers who are only 3xers, and it remains a long journey, where injury or even a fluke could derail him.

We can see that Cael's Vulcan mind meld worked pretty well on RBY.

Between facing the reality of becoming the first and only NCAA 5xer in history, coupled with staring down Cael across a desk and saying 'no', I think at the very least, a definitive no is clearly 2 years away.

That said it his decision alone and everyone will respect his choice and celebrate a fantastic career. We will have at least one super stud waiting in the wings to take over if he is done.
Where would Starocci fall on the Mt. Rushmore of NCAA wrestling if he were to finish his career at approximately 125-2 with 5 NCAA Championships?*

*admittedly way early prognostication.

giphy.gif

In NCAA wrestling why wouldn’t you take all of your eligibility? It’s not like he will be going to the NBA or NFL.
Money for one thing. With only 9.9 ships hardly anyone is on a full scholarship so you have to pay to go to school. I have no idea what his family's financial situation is but that has to be a factor.

Money for one thing. With only 9.9 ships hardly anyone is on a full scholarship so you have to pay to go to school. I have no idea what his family's financial situation is but that has to be a factor.
explain 9.9 per yr everyone should be on full ride??times 4 thats the full roster?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT