ADVERTISEMENT

Interviews w/ our All Stars

nerfstate

Oct 10, 2017
Many of these appear to not require paid access, and have been floating around in the social media thread, but thought they may deserve their own thread.

Especially after the 40ish minutes of gold Carter dropped today. He's one of a kind, to be sure. Biggest takeaways:
  • Plan is to wrestle through 2024, including winning gold at 74kg that year, then go to MMA (so maybe no 5th title).
  • On Dake's arrival: Might as well bring Sidakov in too--it won't matter.
  • He's still looking forward to a rematch w/ PJ Washington, and if it's off the mat, so be it.
A whole lot of other good stuff--like his talk about coach Casey, where he gets his confidence, and much more.

Also--very nice interviews with Aaron and Greg.

Many of these appear to not require paid access, and have been floating around in the social media thread, but thought they may deserve their own thread.

Especially after the 40ish minutes of gold Carter dropped today. He's one of a kind, to be sure. Biggest takeaways:
  • Plan is to wrestle through 2024, including winning gold at 74kg that year, then go to MMA (so maybe no 5th title).
  • On Dake's arrival: Might as well bring Sidakov in too--it won't matter.
  • He's still looking forward to a rematch w/ PJ Washington, and if it's off the mat, so be it.
A whole lot of other good stuff--like his talk about coach Casey, where he gets his confidence, and much more.

Also--very nice interviews with Aaron and Greg.
Carter broke his hand while warming up for the Iowa dual, and did not practice the rest of the year.

With a broken hand and no practice in the last 7 weeks of the season, he beat Massa, Labriola, Hidlay, and Lewis.

Nobody else except maybe Kemerer is beating all of those guys while healthy.

Simply incredible.

@CSauertiegPSU alluded to the fact that he wouldn't be surprised if Carter called it on folk wrestling after 2024 even if he's 4/4. It's true though, there's not much to prove by winning a 5th. It's never been done but it's not because others couldn't have done it, it's just he would be the only one with a chance. With some of Carter's long term goals, makes sense to just move on after 2024.

Carter broke his hand while warming up for the Iowa dual, and did not practice the rest of the year.

With a broken hand and no practice in the last 7 weeks of the season, he beat Massa, Labriola, Hidlay, and Lewis.

Nobody else except maybe Kemerer is beating all of those guys while healthy.

Simply incredible.
You know what they say…”it ain’t bragging if you can back it up!”

Did he ever get surgery on it? Kid wins the B1G and National championship with minimal practice and one hand. One of the most amazing feats in wrestling in awhile. Nobody knew.

@CSauertiegPSU alluded to the fact that he wouldn't be surprised if Carter called it on folk wrestling after 2024 even if he's 4/4. It's true though, there's not much to prove by winning a 5th. It's never been done but it's not because others couldn't have done it, it's just he would be the only one with a chance. With some of Carter's long term goals, makes sense to just move on after 2024.
Having a plan 2 years out allows one to minimize a huge historical achievement.

August 2024 and leaving Paris as a Gold medal winning, 4 time NCAA wrestling champion and your are ask what is left to accomplish in wrestling. At that moment minimizing the significance of that 5th championship will be damn near impossible.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Did he ever get surgery on it? Kid wins the B1G and National championship with minimal practice and one hand. One of the most amazing feats in wrestling in awhile. Nobody knew.
Yeah he did before WTT. Imagine the panic on this board if we ever got news on just how bad Star's injury was (in his own words, it probably should have been season ending) We never even noticed because of how much he kept dominating.

I had posted this in the long-running social media thread, but figured I'd place it here also:
www.flowrestling.org

Starocci Plans On Being 2024 Olympic Champ Then Retiring From Wrestling

I watched all eleven of the video segments. Carter's personality, drive and outlook on life are unique. It will be interesting to see if those things change as he continues down this road we call life. Cael and the staff are sometimes accused of only pursuing wrestlers that could be stereotyped as polite, professional, humble, and just a little bland. Them pursuing Carter shows that is not the case. I believe the coaching staff feels comfortable bringing in wrestlers who don't quite fit the mold as long as they don't see any character issues.

Carter, like almost every Penn State wrestler who I have seen interviewed, has great things to say about Coach Casey. I believe everyone on the coaching staff is secure enough as men to allow their wrestlers to work within their own unique personalities. That bodes well for the types of athletes who will be joining the program in the future. The above video segment is the one I found most interesting. Carter discusses his future wrestling and MMA plans, whether he will stick around to potentially compete for a fifth NCAA title, what freestyle weight he plans on pursuing in 2023 and 2024 and other items.

Starocci has a Sith Lord approach to Iowa fans. He says their hate makes him stronger so keep it up.

I had posted this in the long-running social media thread, but figured I'd place it here also:
www.flowrestling.org

Starocci Plans On Being 2024 Olympic Champ Then Retiring From Wrestling

I watched all eleven of the video segments. Carter's personality, drive and outlook on life are unique. It will be interesting to see if those things change as he continues down this road we call life. Cael and the staff are sometimes accused of only pursuing wrestlers that could be stereotyped as polite, professional, humble, and just a little bland. Them pursuing Carter shows that is not the case. I believe the coaching staff feels comfortable bringing in wrestlers who don't quite fit the mold as long as they don't see any character issues.

Carter, like almost every Penn State wrestler who I have seen interviewed, has great things to say about Coach Casey. I believe everyone on the coaching staff is secure enough as men to allow their wrestlers to work within their own unique personalities. That bodes well for the types of athletes who will be joining the program in the future. The above video segment is the one I found most interesting. Carter discusses his future wrestling and MMA plans, whether he will stick around to potentially compete for a fifth NCAA title, what freestyle weight he plans on pursuing in 2023 and 2024 and other items.

A few questions for the board please. In this interview, Carter mentions being ready going for 79kg in 2023, then going for the Olympic weight of 74 in 2024. He mentions being ready in advance for that weight.

Would that mean he’d go down to 165 for the 23-24 season? If so, would Facundo and CS switch weights? Or would Barr come into 174 as a true freshman?

If Carter is going to move down a weight, seems like we’d have an opening at either 184 or 197, depending on where AB goes. Perhaps Barr goes 184 his true freshman year, but I’d assume that is unlikely.

So we have now had kids win national titles wrestling with one leg, one hand tied behind his back and another wrestling one handed.

There needs to be a t-shirt made, and Spencer needs to do an interview explaining the wusses and excuses thing again.
I was wondering why they weren't putting up more bonus points...

Reactions: nitlion6
A few questions for the board please. In this interview, Carter mentions being ready going for 79kg in 2023, then going for the Olympic weight of 74 in 2024. He mentions being ready in advance for that weight.

Would that mean he’d go down to 165 for the 23-24 season? If so, would Facundo and CS switch weights? Or would Barr come into 174 as a true freshman?

If Carter is going to move down a weight, seems like we’d have an opening at either 184 or 197, depending on where AB goes. Perhaps Barr goes 184 his true freshman year, but I’d assume that is unlikely.
Not necessarily. He could still wrestle 174. He'd just need to keep his walking around weight in range to make 163 for Trials.

Or he could take an Olympic Shirt.

Reactions: Ja1339
Also given how many events you wrestle in college making 165 multiple a week is a lot tougher than making 74kg every couple months. I wouldn't expect him to wrestle at 165 in college

Call me a pessimist, but I think Carter needs to jump at least one level before he can beat KD.

Hopefully by 2024, but seriously how is Kyle and Carter being in the same room going to play out in 24? JMO but I feel like KD is the type of guy that could get under Carters skin.

Call me a pessimist, but I think Carter needs to jump at least one level before he can beat KD.

Hopefully by 2024, but seriously how is Kyle and Carter being in the same room going to play out in 24? JMO but I feel like KD is the type of guy that could get under Carters skin.
He has to beat Nolf first before he gets a shot at Dake

Which has already happened once. I do think Jason himself has elevated his game quite a bit since that match though (or perhaps Jason wasn't trying ;) ). Needless to say, our Paris 74Kg rep trains in PA.
i think it's more likely he was small at 79 and it was a backside match. Probably meant more to Starocci than him.

Very curious to see if Starocci can handle that cut. He looks pretty big at 174.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
I will believe it when I see it. A weight plan 2 years out is a long time, and that is a big cut.

How many PSU goats is it going to take to prove Freestyle at the world level demands you go at your 'optimum' performance weight?

As evedenced in his interview, Carter may be the most confident kid on our team, as well as the most driven and intense. Granted, the mind can only master so much of ones biophysics. I don't doubt that he tries to go down. My money says it will be a failed experiment, and he will see success where his body is better suited to beat the very best.

I'll put it on the record that I'd truly be shocked if Carter goes 74 for 2024 and if he does it, he will be so gassed he won't be effective. It sucks but it's Mark Hall syndrome, he's a tweener at Olympic weights. Just like RBY/Zain.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
pulp fiction i dont remember asking you a goddamn thing GIF
Glad you remembered, but I just had to correct JS’s horrible analogy.
don't think gilman ever disrespected an opponent by calling him unathletic either, so.... ;)

pretty simple. starocci is a heel. if he's on your team, you love him. if he's not, you think he's an arrogant prick (though i love watching him wrestle!).

don't think gilman ever disrespected an opponent by calling him unathletic either, so.... ;)

pretty simple. starocci is a heel. if he's on your team, you love him. if he's not, you think he's an arrogant prick (though i love watching him wrestle!).
Both pricks in college, the difference is, Carter backs it up.

#donttalkifyoudontwalk

Carter is ultra confident, you might even say cocky, AND he has backed it up by winning TWO National Championships and he’s not done yet.

Gilman was an arrogant punk who disrespected his opponents and the sport AND he failed to back it up as a ZERO time National Champion.

BIG difference. Apples and Oranges, in fact.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT