ADVERTISEMENT

ISU vs. Iowa (what do you think?)

Unfortunately for them us Hawkeye fans say that every year. 19 straight wins! Also Iowa just won the national title 2 years ago. Hasn't been that long!

I can't even remember Iowa State's last national title. The 80's?
That's why it's a bit weird you're bragging about beating them so much, while saying they haven't been any good.

That's why it's a bit weird you're bragging about beating them so much, while saying they haven't been any good.
I'm not bragging. It's not a rivalry with ISU. It's a ritual to beat them every year. This was their year to win and they blew it. Their coaches especially blew it. And i doubt it gets easier for them next year.

Much to my disappointment, I really have only a few key takeaways:

In a dual where even 1 match could mean the difference, Dresser should have challenged several calls. Head scratching conservatism on his part.

Kudos to Arnold he is the real deal, and AA candidate IMO and at two weights to boot.

Iowa State just isn't nearly as good as anyone thought.

PS - ESPN may have made a mistake with this over-hyped steaming pile of dung. Not a very good representation for the sport we all want to grow. How about some legendary PSU, ESPN?

Last edited:
I agree. I liked the interview. I think we’d like him a lot if he was in Blue and White.
Not me. When his Dad tried to run his mouth on HR and incinuate that PSU has a racist culture, I pretty much knew Gabe would be one that I will enjoy watching him lose. If thats petty of me then so be it. In Phils defense tho, at least hes not using our deceased relatives to take pot shots at us...

Last edited:
You can for yourself you’re so inclined.

It’s been well litigated here and doesn’t really doesn’t need further attention IMO.
Got it, I guess I missed all that. Thanks.

Reactions: liex26
Might not like Arnold's dad, or his wrestling style but the kid has won at an elite level growing up and has had an impressive start to his college career. Sometimes you have to give credit where it is due. I will hope he becomes more offensive over the years from a pure fan of the sport standpoint and from a PSU fan standpoint, I will root for a very Bull/Kem like career for him, filled with lots of AAs but no titles. However, 174 clears out next year and I assume Keegan will not go up to 174 b/c of Olympic Trials, so next year could be Gabe's best shot if Carter doesn't come back.

Might not like Arnold's dad, or his wrestling style but the kid has won at an elite level growing up and has had an impressive start to his college career. Sometimes you have to give credit where it is due. I will hope he becomes more offensive over the years from a pure fan of the sport standpoint and from a PSU fan standpoint, I will root for a very Bull/Kem like career for him, filled with lots of AAs but no titles. However, 174 clears out next year and I assume Keegan will not go up to 174 b/c of Olympic Trials, so next year could be Gabe's best shot if Carter doesn't come back.
His dad is actually really funny with a great personality. I'm glad he chimes in on HR from time to time. Refreshing

Not me. When his Dad tried to run his mouth on HR and incinuate that PSU has a racist culture, I pretty much knew Gabe would be one that I will enjoy watching him lose. If thats petty of me then so be it. In Phils defense tho, at least hes not using our deceased relatives to take pot shots at us...
Not US or WE. I responded to the filth YOU said to me. Remember that.

His dad is actually really funny with a great personality. I'm glad he chimes in on HR from time to time. Refreshing
Yeah, I found this gem from Phil to be funny asf...

Phil (Jan 29 2023):

"Wow really? How about you ask some of YOUR “black” wrestlers about their experience at your noble institution. Here’s a hint: I know those who did, not a good conversation. You people always have to put color to stuff. STOP. You’ve never nor will ever walk in our shoes, so to use it as a tag line to a “get back message” is disgusting. My son picked Iowa OVER PSU. Culture was the foremost driver to that. "

Phil (Jan 29 2023):

"Wow really? How about you ask some of YOUR “black” wrestlers about their experience at your noble institution. Here’s a hint: I know those who did, not a good conversation. You people always have to put color to stuff. STOP. You’ve never nor will ever walk in our shoes, so to use it as a tag line to a “get back message” is disgusting. My son picked Iowa OVER PSU. Culture was the foremost driver to that. "
He’s related to J Den and still holds a grudge about DT’s OLympics tweet

Phil (Jan 29 2023):

True colors there (no pun intended). "Great personality" and "refreshing?" Based on this diatribe I for one disagree.

If I were a person not familiar with college wrestling but wanted to see what it was like and tuned into yesterday's match on ESPN, I'd probably write it off as a sport to watch in my leisure time. As pointed out, Iowa, the winner of the match, had more stalling warnings than takedowns. There was only one bonus point out of the ten matches. It was boring, even for someone who has been involved with the sport for over 50 years. It was basically Rutgers v. VT from a couple weeks ago with different teams. It's not an attractive product.

When I was in high school, our wrestling team was a very new program with little fan support. Our coach, in his third year and my third year, convinced the school to have an assembly to introduce the sport to the students. I was one of the wrestlers picked to wrestle an exhibition match. I was paired with a wrestler whom I had wrestled with and against for 3 years. We realized if we wrestled a "real" match, it was not going to be very exciting for fans being introduced to the sport, so we worked out a plan the have a match that would look real to them, have a lot of scoring and action and end in a tie. It went over very well and I don't think anyone knew what we had done. Yesterday looked like the match we could have wrestled if we weren't concerned with making the sport fun to watch - especially for new fans.

Almost every time I watch a D1 college wrestling dual meet, I fight a strong urge to turn it off because nothing is happening other than thinly veiled stalling for most of the matches. I do think we are spoiled and blessed by Penn State's style.a But I, for one, am very appreciative of it - especially when watching something like yesterday's match.

If I were a person not familiar with college wrestling but wanted to see what it was like and tuned into yesterday's match on ESPN, I'd probably write it off as a sport to watch in my leisure time. As pointed out, Iowa, the winner of the match, had more stalling warnings than takedowns. There was only one bonus point out of the ten matches. It was boring, even for someone who has been involved with the sport for over 50 years. It was basically Rutgers v. VT from a couple weeks ago with different teams. It's not an attractive product.

When I was in high school, our wrestling team was a very new program with little fan support. Our coach, in his third year and my third year, convinced the school to have an assembly to introduce the sport to the students. I was one of the wrestlers picked to wrestle an exhibition match. I was paired with a wrestler whom I had wrestled with and against for 3 years. We realized if we wrestled a "real" match, it was not going to be very exciting for fans being introduced to the sport, so we worked out a plan the have a match that would look real to them, have a lot of scoring and action and end in a tie. It went over very well and I don't think anyone knew what we had done. Yesterday looked like the match we could have wrestled if we weren't concerned with making the sport fun to watch - especially for new fans.

Almost every time I watch a D1 college wrestling dual meet, I fight a strong urge to turn it off because nothing is happening other than thinly veiled stalling for most of the matches. I do think we are spoiled and blessed by Penn State's style.a But I, for one, am very appreciative of it - especially when watching something like yesterday's match.
Mesenbrink will take more committed shots in 1 period than you saw last night in multiple entire matches

I agree. I really dont enjoy watching if PSU isnt wrestling or if it isnt a “high flier” like OToole or Austin Gomez, Hamiti, etc. One thing I appreciate about Freestyle is that after about 1 min if there is no score, they immediately put someone on the shot clock. I’d like to see, in folk style, a double stall call if there is no action after 1 minute of hand fighting. Now each wrestler will lose a point on their next stall call. I think it will prompt more action. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Ski and AgSurfer
And here's a trophy befitting their accomplishment:

images
They should make the loser of that game take that monstrosity!!

• Haha
Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
You'd think by this point success would breed more imitators but it's really not the case, at least not at the higher tiers. Perhaps in the practice rooms there's more 'play wrestling' and less overtraining, but in the duals, risk aversion is still the overriding principle. At one point you could credibly reason that "more entertaining" = "reduced chance of success," but at this point it's difficult to argue with the data countering that belief.

You'd think by this point success would breed more imitators but it's really not the case, at least not at the higher tiers. Perhaps in the practice rooms there's more 'play wrestling' and less overtraining, but in the duals, risk aversion is still the overriding principle. At one point you could credibly reason that "more entertaining" = "reduced chance of success," but at this point it's difficult to argue with the data countering that belief.
Askren rails on this all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT