ADVERTISEMENT

ISU vs. Iowa (what do you think?)

Tee Off University Of Louisville GIF by Louisville Cardinals

Highly recommended reading.

91FeCQhLTiS._SL1500_.jpg
Fair enough! Maybe I shouldn't speak for all Iowa fans!

Who's the Penn State backup at 174?

I genuinely don't know. I'm asking because, would you rather Star beat Gabe at 184 to shut him up but potentially lose 174 against PK, or would you rather have a chance at preserving the shutout assuming it's been held up to that point?
Joe Lee is the most likely next man up.

Josh Barr would be an interesting idea if he can make it down. Probably not ready for Kennedy yet, but if Kennedy doesn't get his conditioning right, Barr will press the entire match.

Joe Lee is the most likely next man up.

Josh Barr would be an interesting idea if he can make it down. Probably not ready for Kennedy yet, but if Kennedy doesn't get his conditioning right, Barr will press the entire match.
I could see that and IF IF IF this WERE to happen I dont think it will be a game-time decision.

Good Lord you have no conscience. I'm noticing not many are engaging you. I should follow suite. And your still an Ahole.
I've been engaged far more than usual actually. All you have to do is ignore my handle. Extremely simple.

Joe Lee.

If he can make it down, Josh Barr would be an interesting idea. Probably not ready for Kennedy yet, but if Kennedy doesn't get his conditioning right, Barr will press the entire match.
Agreed, very interesting matchup and not a gimme to PK (or either side) by any means there. I think PK will get his conditioning back as he comes back from his injury and gets settled in up a weight, but he would still be undersized against a team that can't simply be outworked anyway

The more general question is - assume Penn State has won every match from 125 through 165. Would you guys rather send a backup out against PK and let Truax sit at 184, in order to let Star shut up Gabe, or let Star wrestle PK at 174 and Truax wrestle Gabe at 184 in order to preserve the meet shutout?

This is genuinely meant for discussion too, by the way. Not trying to start anything. Personally I'd probably vote for keeping my guys at their regular weight and work for the shutout, rather than moving around the lineup in reaction to statements made by a true freshman on the other side

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Agreed, very interesting matchup and not a gimme to PK (or either side) by any means there. I think PK will get his conditioning back as he comes back from his injury and gets settled in up a weight, but he would still be undersized against a team that can't simply be outworked anyway

The more general question is - assume Penn State has won every match from 125 through 165. Would you guys rather send a backup out against PK and let Truax sit at 184, in order to let Star shut up Gabe, or let Star wrestle PK at 174 and Truax wrestle Gabe at 184 in order to preserve the meet shutout?

This is genuinely meant for discussion too, by the way. Not trying to start anything. Personally I'd probably vote for keeping my guys at their regular weight and work for the shutout, rather than moving around the lineup in reaction to statements made by a true freshman on the other side
It’s a fan wish. It would never actually happen. I’m sure Cael saw enough with CStar’s riff with Washington to ever allow it if CStar even asked.

It’s a fan wish. It would never actually happen. I’m sure Cael saw enough with CStar’s riff with Washington to ever allow it if CStar even asked.
I don't think it would ever happen, either. I think Cael as a coach would not let the emotions come into play there and he would just play the normal lineup regardless.

I'm asking though, as a fan - with these scenarios, which would you rather:
1) Penn State wins 9 of 10 matchups; the one loss is a backup 174 to PK, but Star bumps up to wrestle Gabe Arnold and Star embarrasses him
2) Penn State wins 10 matchups with Star beating PK at 174 and Truax beating Gabe at 184

Again, I'm positing this as a legitimate discussion item. Personally I'd rather scenario 1 if it's my team on the winning end, but I also see why number 2 is desirable considering the meet still isn't in danger and the team outcome is the same but it also gives an opportunity to shut up some trash talk against the biggest recruit on the biggest rival

I don't think it would ever happen, either. I think Cael as a coach would not let the emotions come into play there and he would just play the normal lineup regardless.

1) Penn State wins 9 of 10 matchups; the one loss is a backup 174 to PK, but Star bumps up to wrestle Gabe Arnold and Star embarrasses him
2) Penn State wins 10 matchups with Star beating PK at 174 and Truax beating Gabe at 184

Again, I'm positing this as a legitimate discussion item. Personally I'd rather scenario 1 if it's my team on the winning end, but I also see why number 2 is desirable considering the meet still isn't in danger and the team outcome is the same but it also gives an opportunity to shut up some trash talk against the biggest recruit on the biggest rival
Shutout please.

Shutout please.
I agree completely

Let's say, up through 165, Iowa has won 1 match and so the shutout is out of the question already. Does that change your mind?

I think it changes my mind, personally, because at that point I'm not looking at something special from the team side but rather at what the best storyline is from the remaining individual matchups

Reactions: mjmirv

Definitely shutout. Carter beating up on a true freshman doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme of things but shutting out Iowa sure does

I agree completely

Let's say, up through 165, Iowa has won 1 match and so the shutout is out of the question already. Does that change your mind?

I think it changes my mind, personally, because at that point I'm not looking at something special from the team side but rather at what the best storyline is from the remaining individual matchups
Yep - changes it for me.

I agree completely

In this scenario I still like everyone at their own weight still. I’d like Truax to get his hands on Arnold plus sitting a 3 time AA just so Carter can wrestle Gabe doesn’t make much sense to me

It's not a legitimate discussion item, it's a silly hypothetical. Because bumping up Starroci to 184 just to face Arnold would almost certainly never happen. Also, I doubt that CS is much interested in "embarrassing" an opponent or that he much cares about trash talk from an opponent

And BTW, what did Arnold say that has some folks spun up?

Reactions: sstark46
Yep - changes it for me.
This is why I love wrestling, and dual meets especially. It's an individual sport with a team component. We want each individual to win, of course, but we think about things in the team perspective always anyway. If we stop putting the team first then the individual matchups can be more dramatic, but if we stop caring about individual matchups then the team score can be more dramatic. There's so many layers to it and it makes it so much more engaging for the fan

Reactions: zzs006
It's not a legitimate discussion item, it's a silly hypothetical. Because bumping up Starroci to 184 just to face Arnold would almost certainly never happen. Also, I doubt that CS is much interested in "embarrassing" an opponent or that he much cares about trash talk from an opponent

And BTW, what did Arnold say that has some folks spun up?
Fair! I agree with this completely.

Arnold said in an interview last year something to the effect of "next year I will be the best 174 in the country and no one will beat me". I don't think he called out Star explicitly but the implication was clear that he was calling out Star

One observation after watching the halftime interview with Dan Gable along with the documentary “The Dual” on PBS: this man has one of the biggest egos I have ever seen. Unlike every other legendary coach I can think of who are quick to give credit to their athletes, Gable *always* makes it about himself. Take a listen sometime and you will see exactly what I mean. It’s actually pretty funny.
I don't disagree. However, they've been throwing accolades at him for years. I think I heard too many excuses for his big loss as well

Carter will try to be at 74kg about 10 weeks after facing Iowa. It would be a senseless gamble to march out against Arnold at 184, even if Gabe will be on the small side. He’s a very strong kid.

Reactions: jack66
Just watched the tape replay of the match. Dresser should be embarressed for not challenging the no take down call for Echemendia. It was close, and in my view through replay, a takedown. But to not even take a second look at it.....WTF!!!. Dual meet outcome, national ranking for your guy, post season seeding,.... Cael, Ryan, the Brands, etc., would have been all over it. That was terrible coaching!

Reactions: WildTurk
And we don't care what people outside Iowa think of the dual. It wasn't for you

6 pages and 240 posts on a Penn State board showed you cared just a little btw..
We just like wrestling. It was an entertaining dual. Arnold at 174 is going to be a tough out for anyone. Woods is so disappointing, but he wins. He could blow opponents out if he let it fly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT