141 Iowa 10-0
149 ISU 10-3
157 Iowa 13-3
165 ISU 13-6
174 Iowa 16-6
184 ISU 16-9
197 Iowa 19-9
285 ISU 19-12

Several toss-ups, but Carver will prevail in the close ones.

the sad thing about espn covering is the timeframe. Up against the NFL is a death penalty for viewership...

Terukina’s MAJ over Barnett got my attention. As does Ayala’s loss to Kaylor.

125: Terukina DEC
133 Teske MAJ
141: Woods MAJ
149: Swiderski DEC
157: Franek MAJ
165: Carr DEC
174: Arnold DEC
184: Feldcamp FALL
197: Broderson DEC
285: Bastida MAJ

Iowa St 22 Iowa 15

Uh oh

Last edited:
Hawkeyes win 6 matches to 4. There is all this talk about ISU having their best team, but I don't see it. Who is going to AA for the Clones besides Carr & Feldcamp?

Hawkeyes win 6 matches to 4. There is all this talk about ISU having their best team, but I don't see it. Who is going to AA for the Clones besides Carr & Feldcamp?
Possibly Bastida and Terukina

Last edited:
125 Ayala D Terukina 3-0
133 Teske D Frost 6-0
141 Woods M Echemendia 10-0
149 Swid D VV3 10-3
157 Chittum D Franek 10-6
165 Carr D Caliendo 10-9
174 Arnold D Gaitan 13-9
184 Feldkamp M Swafford 13-13
197 Broderson D Glazier 13-16
HWT Bastida F Hill 13-22

Iowa St gets over the hump and Chittum twists the knife.

Seriously, though, this is going to be one of the best non-PSU matches of the season for me. 125, 133, 149, 174, and 197 are all ranked within a couple spots of each other on Wrestlestat (165 #2 vs #6 as well, although there is a clear tier break between Carr & Caliendo there, too…), and even 141 & 157 are fascinating matchups that could theoretically go either way. This is one with a huge range of outcomes.

Reactions: mcpat
Terukina’s MAJ over Barnett got my attention. As does Ayala’s loss to Kaylor.

125: Terukina DEC
133 Teske MAJ
141: Woods MAJ
149: Swiderski DEC
157: Franek MAJ
165: Carr DEC
174: Arnold DEC
184: Feldcamp FALL
197: Broderson DEC
285: Bastida MAJ

Iowa St 22 Iowa 15

Uh oh

Bastida is coming up from 197. Do you think he is ready to dominate this soon.

Bastida is coming up from 197. Do you think he is ready to dominate this soon.
He’s got three TFs in three matches this season and Hill lost to a D3 kid from Augsburg. If anything, I’m understating 285 today.

Reactions: Ski
Possibly Bastida and Terukina
Well, possibly. But I wouldn't bet on either at this point.

Terukina has been average (as in NQ type) his entire career and after Bastida beats someone I will consider him a contender for AA.

Still, 2 AAs and a bunch of NQ types does not strike me as a team that will beat Iowa.

Well, possibly. But I wouldn't bet on either at this point.

Terukina has been average (as in NQ type) his entire career and after Bastida beats someone I will consider him a contender for AA.

Still, 2 AAs and a bunch of NQ types does not strike me as a team that will beat Iowa.
Why? How many potential AAs does Iowa have? Woods, Franek, & Caliendo (one of which is a decided underdog vs ISU)? If you include guys like Ayala & Arnold, then there’s no reason not to include Terukina & Chittum on the other side. We’re talking about this as much because Iowa is as weak as they’ve been in years (mostly due to the suspensions, but it is what it is…) as ISU being particularly strong.

FWIW, most of the FRL guys picked a TF for Bastida. He does look like he's grown into the weight nicely, and has always been a good athlete. I could definitely see him making the (bottom half of the) podium this year.

I think 125 is the key match in this one--depending on what the ultimate lineups look like.

Why? How many potential AAs does Iowa have? Woods, Franek, & Caliendo (one of which is a decided underdog vs ISU)? If you include guys like Ayala & Arnold, then there’s no reason not to include Terukina & Chittum on the other side. We’re talking about this as much because Iowa is as weak as they’ve been in years (mostly due to the suspensions, but it is what it is…) as ISU being particularly strong.
Four. I wouldn't consider either Arnold or Chittum right now, but I would Ayala. Certainly, more than Terukina given the track record.

I'm not going to make rash judgements based on one early season match. Now if the results keep happening, I'll change my mind.

FWIW, most of the FRL guys picked a TF for Bastida. He does look like he's grown into the weight nicely, and has always been a good athlete. I could definitely see him making the (bottom half of the) podium this year.

I think 125 is the key match in this one--depending on what the ultimate lineups look like.
I would expect that Bastida will roll whether he is an AA or not. The Iowa heavy is not good.

125 Ayala D Terukina 3-0
133 Teske D Frost 6-0
141 Woods M Echemendia 10-0
149 Swid D VV3 10-3
157 Chittum D Franek 10-6
165 Carr D Caliendo 10-9
174 Arnold D Gaitan 13-9
184 Feldkamp M Swafford 13-13
197 Broderson D Glazier 13-16
HWT Bastida F Hill 13-22

Iowa St gets over the hump and Chittum twists the knife.

Seriously, though, this is going to be one of the best non-PSU matches of the season for me. 125, 133, 149, 174, and 197 are all ranked within a couple spots of each other on Wrestlestat (165 #2 vs #6 as well, although there is a clear tier break between Carr & Caliendo there, too…), and even 141 & 157 are fascinating matchups that could theoretically go either way. This is one with a huge range of outcomes.
At 157, I'll take the Franek over Chittum at this point. Franek is tough and a known commodity, while I need to see more of Chittum. That said, I do not see Franek (not a big bonus guy) majoring Chittum as another poster predicted.

And throw out "theoretically" in the 141 bout. Woods is a huge favorite and will likely get at least a major.

The key swing bout is 125, and maybe 197 as well.

I’m leaning @smalls103 ’s side on this. Toss ups go to Iowa until proven otherwise. They’ve won so many in a row that I can’t make the leap to picking ISu.

But if ISU wins 125 …

Reactions: mcpat
Starting at 125
Terukina vs Ayala

Ayala on a single and Terukina fights it off. Ayala had the leg completely. Up off the mat even. 0-0 after one.

Terukina takes bottom. Out quickly. 1-0 Terukina. Clock and score problems on feed. Freaking Flo. Ayala in on single again. Up in air again. Gets it this time at edge of mat. 3-1 Ayala. Restart with 18 secs to go. Terukina escapes. 3-2 Ayala after two.

Ayala chooses bottom. Quick escape. 4-2 Ayala. Terukina not really aggressive. Strange. Stalling on Ayala. Late TD Ayala and Iowa favs yell “twooo” lol. Ayala wins 7-2.

3-0 Iowa

Last edited:
Reactions: LOTOlion
Did Terukina even take a shot?
Terukina is mediocre. Lots of people getting their hopes up about this match based on one match.

The guy has been a NQ qualifier type his whole career. Ayala was a definitive favorite there.

133 Teske vs Frost

Big scramble. Surprised no danger TD for Frost. Another scramble. Teske single up in air. Frost fights it off. 0-0 after one.

Frost on bottom. No hand control when he gets to feet. Granby escape. 1-0 Frost. Maybe 50 secs RT. Teske in on a single again. Can’t finish as clock runs out. 1-0 Frost after one.

Teske on bottom. Teske escapes in 27 secs. 1-1. Frost gets a TD on his own shot. 4-1 Frost. Mat return. 1 min to go. Riding tough. Back points from a tilt. 8-1 now. 8-1 final. Wow.

3-3 team score.

Last edited:
It's an example of early-season rankings that work their way out over the course of the season.

Kinda like Notre Dame only being ranked 10th, before they have a chance to beat Duke and the Little Sisters of the Poor.
Fair enough, though both could be true simultaneously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT