ADVERTISEMENT

ISU vs. Iowa (what do you think?)

Someone in the know, I thought Kennedy was caught up in the gambling issue, and was out until second semester?

Obviously not.

Someone in the know, I thought Kennedy was caught up in the gambling issue, and was out until second semester?

Obviously not.
I don't think the players in the gambling issue were ever 100% confirmed, because the University of Iowa has never confirmed anything, but the rumor with Kennedy has always been that he did gamble and got caught, but never on an Iowa event. So while everyone else who bet on Iowa lost a year, his suspension was much much less.
The other rumor to go along with it is that Iowa added the Luther Open to their schedule late, in order to get an additional competition date before ISU to make sure PK's suspension was fulfilled beforehane

Yep. Turk and I agree on something!!! When the seasons over, at least Iowa fans can say, "Well at least we beat Iowa State."
And here's a trophy befitting their accomplishment:

images

Iowa vs Iowa state was an embarrassment. Both teams looked like Ivy league club teams from the fifties. The 174-197 matches in particular were painful to watch. Wiping the floor with Iowa when the time comes might cleanse this stain from humanity's collective honor. But I will regret the last 2.5 hours as long as live.
Yeah it really drives home how lucky we are. I mean that match is NOT winning over any non wrestling fans who happened to flip it on. Boring defensive wrestling most of the way thru it.

I don't think the players in the gambling issue were ever 100% confirmed, because the University of Iowa has never confirmed anything, but the rumor with Kennedy has always been that he did gamble and got caught, but never on an Iowa event. So while everyone else who bet on Iowa lost a year, his suspension was much much less.
The other rumor to go along with it is that Iowa added the Luther Open to their schedule late, in order to get an additional competition date before ISU to make sure PK's suspension was fulfilled beforehane
I was wondering what the advantage was wrestling division 3 and community college squads.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
Yep. Turk and I agree on something!!! When the seasons over, at least Iowa fans can say, "Well at least we beat Iowa State."
Unfortunately for them us Hawkeye fans say that every year. 19 straight wins! Also Iowa just won the national title 2 years ago. Hasn't been that long!

I can't even remember Iowa State's last national title. The 80's?

Unfortunately for them us Hawkeye fans say that every year. Also Iowa just won the national title 2 years ago. Hasn't been that long!

I can't even remember Iowa State's last national title. The 80's?
It was 1986 or 87… I remember because Iowa had a big “X” on their singlet to acknowledge them setting an NCAA record for winning their 10th straight NCAA title. But then Iowa State’s Bill Kelly forced returning NCAA champ Brad Penrith to teabag himself on national TV as the Cyclones won the championship over the Hawks.

I was wondering what the advantage was wrestling division 3 and community college squads.
To be fair we usually attend Luther as our de facto wrestle offs. When it was added to the schedule this year, it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Hence why my previous comment stated that it was only a rumor :)

Reactions: danoftw
It was 1986 or 87… I remember because Iowa had a big “X” on their singlet to acknowledge them setting an NCAA record for winning their 10th straight NCAA title. But then Iowa State’s Bill Kelly forced returning NCAA champ Brad Penrith to teabag himself on national TV as the Cyclones won the championship over the Hawks.
That's a good memory. I was 1 in 1986. I definitely don't remember that

Reactions: dpd926
It must be really something to be the kings of the state of Iowa. Congrats?
I know this is supposed to be a dig at Iowa, but there's a reason this is the first ever regular season meet to be on ESPN and why Hilton was sold out with 15k+ fans - this rivalry and this dual are very meaningful to both fanbases, which are 2 of the largest in the NCAA.

With this being ISU's best chance at a win in the Tom Brands era and them still not getting it done, Iowa fans are gonna be pretty excited about it

That was the first dual Hilton has sold out since 1982. Their fans only show up when they think they can win. Glad they were all there to watch today. Inserting Kennedy in the lineup and moving Gabe Arnold up to 184 was a good coaching move. Brands is 18-0 vs ISU now

Reactions: Reslo and sstark46
Yeah, hard to believe the entire ISU staff didn't know the RT situation, unless there was an issue with the RT clock. I mean, it's not difficult, right?
Even if there was an issue with the RT clock: what match were they watching, that they thought Gaitan might conceivably have had 1:00 RT advantage when he got no takedowns until the 3rd?

At some point the sniff test has to come into play, right?

One observation after watching the halftime interview with Dan Gable along with the documentary “The Dual” on PBS: this man has one of the biggest egos I have ever seen. Unlike every other legendary coach I can think of who are quick to give credit to their athletes, Gable *always* makes it about himself. Take a listen sometime and you will see exactly what I mean. It’s actually pretty funny.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT