ADVERTISEMENT

Is Penn St leadership regretting the silly Franklin contract?

Hahah. 2 years? So if he doesn’t, you are going to show him the door with a $68Million dollar one time payment check?
Your argument seems to be that because we cannot afford to fire him, that we should just stop criticizing him because it only hurts recruiting.

Reactions: joeaubie21
There are a lot of smart people on this board who care deeply about penn state. Why doesn’t someone think of a way to enact change rather than just have us watch Rome burn and complain about the BoT

Your argument seems to be that because we cannot afford to fire him, that we should just stop criticizing him because it only hurts recruiting.
I suppose your “if/then” has merit.

I don’t know if afford to fire is quite the best term. I only mean it’s somewhat prohibitive to make that kind of move. OTOH someone would have to pay for that, and I pretty sure we all know there is an increase in our donation and tickets just to help the cost of the new contract in the first place. This was simply a brutal contract against performance.

To me, the question is: How do two very average people get the top jobs at our University?

Sandy Barbour is an extremely average individual - midwit IQ, no real accomplishments, bad personality. There's no reason in a meritocracy that she'd advance past shift manager at McDonalds.

Eric Barron - same thing. Midwit IQ, is not impressive (fat and unfit), in no way is he impressive.

How does this happen?

Because once that happens, things like declining academic standards, bad hires, poor culture - all creep in very rapidly.
It’s known as the Peter Principle, as coined by Edward Lazear, in which the tendency in most organizational hierarchies - such as that of a corporation - is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence. Google it. It’s a really interesting concept.

It’s known as the Peter Principle, as coined by Edward Lazear, in which the tendency in most organizational hierarchies - such as that of a corporation - is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence. Google it. It’s a really interesting concept.
I'm well acquainted with that principle.

If only we were suffering from that principle, rather than the insane PC that we are suffering from.

In the old corporate system, where people did occasionally rise above their level of competence, this is a thousand times worse.

Here, in the PC system, no one is even trying to hire and promote the best. Any idiot will do...and that's what we've gotten.

To me, the question is: How do two very average people get the top jobs at our University?

Sandy Barbour is an extremely average individual - midwit IQ, no real accomplishments, bad personality. There's no reason in a meritocracy that she'd advance past shift manager at McDonalds.

Eric Barron - same thing. Midwit IQ, is not impressive (fat and unfit), in no way is he impressive.

How does this happen?

Because once that happens, things like declining academic standards, bad hires, poor culture - all creep in very rapidly.
Totally this!!!! The IDIOTS running the university had to purge all things Paterno from Penn State. Now you see the result.

The people making all the big decisions all have no previous association with the university are destroying our school.

Well congratulations dumb asses, you got rid of all things Paterno, and in the process you destroyed Penn State and all the good things it stood for.

Reactions: PSUEngineer89
I'm well acquainted with that principle.

If only we were suffering from that principle, rather than the insane PC that we are suffering from.

In the old corporate system, where people did occasionally rise above their level of competence, this is a thousand times worse.

Here, in the PC system, no one is even trying to hire and promote the best. Any idiot will do...and that's what we've gotten.
This is so true. I know several people that work in non-sports Departments within the University, the level of wasted dollars is incredible. Secondly, hiring qualifications do not matter, the only thing that counts is filling the diversity quota.

I don’t think they care, and that’s part of the problem!
They don’t because they are woke and only worried about protecting their federal research dollars so they will do anything to appease what DC wants. They seek diversity and inclusion. They are checking the boxes on almost all recent hires and will continue to do so. Wait till a new AD arrives and I can pretty much tell you what their profile will be. They also know that the Beav will always be filled so why does it matter. One of these days/seasons we fans will get wise and stay in the parking lots until Q2 or later to voice our displeasure. Nothing more embarrassing than an empty stadium when the tv turns on!

Once again, Franklin should be given 2 years to right the ship. If he fails should get his marching papers and the BOT should be marched on to remove the sick element within.
He's already had 2 years. 11-11.
If he produces another 7-6 he needs to go. Period. No that does not make us Nebraska. Nebraska fired Solich after a 4 loss season and Callahan after a 5 loss season. Franklin's last 2 years have been worse and Penn State can go 6-6 with anyone.

There are a lot of smart people on this board who care deeply about penn state. Why doesn’t someone think of a way to enact change rather than just have us watch Rome burn and complain about the BoT
Start by boycotting the B/W game in April which Franklin has now turned into a bloody open practice. It used to be a fun weekend with a spring football game. Not anymore. Make them hold it in Memorial Field in Dwntwn SC if they want to continue with that product.

I offered one and its the same solution if you don't like a certain company, BDS the company to the ground. Im prepared to do this, a lot of us do this in our lives all the time. If enough people stop coming to games, stop watching on TV, stop buying merchandise, the program or Franklin will have to make a change. Its called apathy and Franklin is working very hard on it. His "107k" mantra is going to look pathetic when there are 50k in the stands. He'll get the message at the point, or the Board, they will see that and feel that in their pocketbooks even through their shrouds of incompetence. Franklin ain't dumb, he and Fumi will escape that Hell to some mid level pac 12 school, trust me.

How does this happen?

Spot on…add to that Sandy is a proven failure at Cal. But she checks boxes and this is the result.

Reactions: m.knox
No, because he’ll never see the end of the current contract. If he succeeds, he’ll want to renegotiate or he’ll leave. That’s just the way it works with all coaches these days. If he doesn’t succeed, he’ll leave on his own and go elsewhere. “Some” obviously don’t understand that the contract term is meaningless.
I call bullshit on that. A man of character would have apologized for a miserable performance in 2020, not manipulated all season long to get more money. He shows no loyalty to Penn State. Why should his players? If you are always looking for a better deal, you can't give your best. Jim Harbaugh is showing much greater character at this moment.

I call bullshit on that. A man of character would have apologized for a miserable performance in 2020, not manipulated all season long to get more money. He shows no loyalty to Penn State. Why should his players? If you are always looking for a better deal, you can't give your best. Jim Harbaugh is showing much greater character at this moment.
Totally agree. And it’s hard to admit that Hairball shows greater Character than Big Play James.

No, they are good with it. Here’s the fact, as long as they have a “competitive” team with decent academic standing, they do not care. They get big money from the conference just for showing up. And they get to virtue signal, which is important to the academia types. The only leverage fans have is the season tickets and buying apparel (which most will keep doing), so the financial bottom line will hold. For next decade, PSU will be a 8-10 win team and every few years look like they have a real shot. Mark Richt at Georgia. Penn State is now football purgatory, neither hot nor cold.

Definitely a more accurate accounting of what is likley to happen.

That said, if fans stop coming to the games and the program starts to slip into irrelevance, its going to get mighty sweaty for Franklin and the University. FOotball under James is very profitable at the moment, thats not a guarantee after he posts another 500 type season in a row next year. Going to start to hear from alumni, boosters, old players that "a change is needed." The media won't be friendly covering the program anymore, it won't pay to be, nobody will believe fluff pieces on the state of the program. Franklin is emotionally immature(dont make me give examples), how is it going to be when there are 50 or 60K empty seats in that stadium to watch his product? I keep saying, if you don't believe in Franklin and your displease with the product, BDS them, thats the only way things change, stop going,spending, caring. If things get as bad as I think they could, I see Franklin and Fumi taking a little "rebuild/recharge" at a mid-level Pac 12 school or something. Much more plausible than Franklin answering tough questions for the next 10 years.
The Lettermen are - by and large - already of the opinion that they have “seen enough.”

Totally this!!!! The IDIOTS running the university had to purge all things Paterno from Penn State. Now you see the result.

The people making all the big decisions all have no previous association with the university are destroying our school.

Well congratulations dumb asses, you got rid of all things Paterno, and in the process you destroyed Penn State and all the good things it stood for.
Can’t disagree with any of this…Paterno made the University (not just football)…and these incompetent Benedict Arnolds are destroying it…slowly but steadily.

No, they are good with it. Here’s the fact, as long as they have a “competitive” team with decent academic standing, they do not care. They get big money from the conference just for showing up. And they get to virtue signal, which is important to the academia types. The only leverage fans have is the season tickets and buying apparel (which most will keep doing), so the financial bottom line will hold. For next decade, PSU will be a 8-10 win team and every few years look like they have a real shot. Mark Richt at Georgia. Penn State is now football purgatory, neither hot nor cold.
8-10 wins per year and Mark Richt-level performance? Take that in a heartbeat.

This program is taking on water…

Reactions: Grass and PSUTENN1
8-10 wins per year and Mark Richt-level performance? Take that in a heartbeat.

This program is taking on water…
And the bilge warning is blaring!

The team has to find some meanness / nastiness without the thugness. Bury the guy across from you and then help him up and do it again. Until we find some football attitude on the OL, only the best RBs (Barkley, Sanders, Journey) will cover for the weakness.

Reactions: psu00
I happen be closley related to one and that certainly represents his opinion.

Is Brandon Short a letterman? Listen to his interview sometime about the new Franklin contract But hey he sure as heck isn’t as knowledgeable about football as the experts on this board right?

Reactions: RaymondReddington
And the bilge warning is blaring!

The team has to find some meanness / nastiness without the thugness. Bury the guy across from you and then help him up and do it again. Until we find some football attitude on the OL, only the best RBs (Barkley, Sanders, Journey) will cover for the weakness.
I agree with that. It also would help if we found a few RBs who showed a little burst through the holes that are there instead of all of them looking like they are running in mud. Thought the new kid played decent at left tackle yesterday.

Reactions: RaymondReddington
Mary, you’re fired up!

This is going to be a really ugly period for Penn State football

I offered one and its the same solution if you don't like a certain company, BDS the company to the ground. Im prepared to do this, a lot of us do this in our lives all the time. If enough people stop coming to games, stop watching on TV, stop buying merchandise, the program or Franklin will have to make a change. Its called apathy and Franklin is working very hard on it. His "107k" mantra is going to look pathetic when there are 50k in the stands. He'll get the message at the point, or the Board, they will see that and feel that in their pocketbooks even through their shrouds of incompetence. Franklin ain't dumb, he and Fumi will escape that Hell to some mid level pac 12 school, trust me.
Franklin's Achilles is his artificially inflated ego.....he has difficulty facing external criticism, legitimate or otherwise. When enough of the PSU fan base, and more importantly the Media, turn on James, he will gladly have his agent negotiate a lower $$$ exit package and try to save face with some lame, Urban Meyer-like excuse of "coaching burn out" or blaming unrealistic expectations by the JoePa admirers.

I say after the 2023 season, which is going to be every bit as formidable of a challenge as 2022.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Franklin's Achilles is his artificially inflated ego.....he has difficulty facing external criticism, legitimate or otherwise. When enough of the PSU fan base, and more importantly the Media, turn on James, he will gladly have his agent negotiate a lower $$$ exit package and try to save face with some lame, Urban Meyer-like excuse of "coaching burn out" or blaming unrealistic expectations by the JoePa admirers.

I say after the 2023 season, which is going to be every bit as formidable of a challenge as 2022.
But Sandy already set the bar when she increased his salary based on his record during 2016-19 saying it was one of the best 4 yr record in 30-40 yrs....

The difference is Urban had a national championship and could reenter coaching wherever he wanted for even more money. If there are two more bad years he won’t get a contract like the one he has.

This is going to be a really ugly period for Penn State football
I don’t think it’ll be as bad as the losing seasons from 2000-2004, but it sure is starting to feel that way. When the players and coaches continue to make unrealistic positive comments about their performance or lack thereof, then this is evidence that the players and coaches don’t know what the problem(s) are.

Reactions: PSUTENN1

5-7 next year and it's over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT