ADVERTISEMENT

Is Franklin content with being mediocre?

Yes I know its not a new video but just rehashing. The comment ,"we haven't won as much as everyone wants" is not what I want to hear from my head coach. He's got his big contract and maybe he's just content with winning the games he should.

How many times in his career has he said that he needs to do a better job as a coach/taken resonsibility?
I think the comment is spot on. I guess it hurts to hear the truth. I'm sure he's not happy that we aren't beating OSU and UM. He's been pretty open about becoming elite and winning a national championship.

We always beat the teams we are supposed to beat and almost always lose to the teams we are supposed to lose to. At some point, you are who you are so I would expect things to remain the same as long as he's the coach.

So who are you going to replace him with that's going to fix it? Most teams that try to do it fail miserably and take as significant step back. Who wants to roll the dice?

I think it's always useful to look at 'against the spread" records. Since 2013, our record ranks 10th against the spread (top in the Big Ten), we cover 56% of the time which ranks 12th (top in the Big Ten) and our average cover ranks 8th which is 3rd in the Big Ten behind Iowa and OSU.

Those numbers confirm that we're performing as expected but as coach says, "we haven't won as much as everyone wants".

Just stop trying to hold Franklin up to Joe. Joe competed when he did. The modern day Joe, meaning if Joe was Franklin's age would be a much better coach than Franklin. And I guarantee you he would have gotten us into a 4 team playoff at least one time.

I guess you are trying to say Joe's teams never played anybody and we need to discount all his wins? And somehow the two national championships were achieved without any big wins. The guy won a ton of bowl games versus teams of equal talent! How many wins does Franklin have like that? OSU in '16, Washington in '17. Michigan in '17 and '19 (skip Covid year) and I guess Utah last year. Totally disagree with whatever point you are trying to make but you can believe what you want.

You should be more concerned about whether our current coach who gets paid 9 million a year and has $70 million guaranteed from PSU can ever beat OSU or Michigan again and whether he now can beat USC or Oregon ever.

LMK when he goes 12 years between wins over Michigan and I'll worry...

USC went 8-5 last season, has a shit defense, loses Caleb Williams and you're afraid of them why? What point are you trying to prove? We both know you won't give any credit for beating them next year when they finish with 3, 4 or 5 losses. USC has dropped 4 straight vs Utah because they can't handle physical football teams. They're going to struggle in the big ten. I'll let you tell me why their recent lack of success against Utah doesn't matter though.

The only game you're going to care about winning on next year's schedule is OSU. Everyone else is going to be 10-2 Iowa of 2023 or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: dswartz and PSU2UNC
This thread is comical.
James Franklin is not Nick Saban, Joe Paterno or Bear Bryant. Neither are 99.9% of other coaches.
Having an expectation of him aligning his success with such is fools gold.
James Franklin's record of his decade of service crushes Joe Paterno's final decade of service.
Franklin is not elite at anything, good at many things, elite at nothing, but name me the current college football coaches that are? The number is less than the fingers on your right hand.
The only mediocrity in the PSU program are the opinions of old fools, past livers, of this board.
Penn State is a blue blood that finishes in the top 10 quite regularly. Which is more than most can say.
Penn State can't even win their side of their conference but somehow people think they should be in the national title game annually, which is only a joke on themselves and a complete suspension of reality.
Currently only LSU, Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State are the only programs built to regularly contend for the championship.
I'm happy to start with being competitive with OSU on a regular basis.

Ohio State has beaten Penn State 11 of the last 12. Only about 4 or 5 have truly been winnable on the last drive or so. I don't think PSU has ever been favored in one of those games.
That ain't coaching, that's roster building.
Ohio State fields complete teams, James Franklin has yet to deliver a championship caliber complete team at all positions in all phases with quality depth.
He's gotten close a year or two but PSU just isn't there.
I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this.
That said, PSU is definitely talented "enough" to eke out an upset win every 4 or 5 years.
The losses in 2017 and 2018 were devastating to this program and James didn't help it with his, what should be a closed door thought he made at the post presser about not being elite. One of the bigger gaffes I can recall from a coach.
But let's not lie to ourselves and pretend Penn State has equal talent to Ohio State because they don't and contending such doesn't help anything.

Reactions: wilbury
Just to clarify, you are stating that understanding CFB means classifying Delaware, UMASS, and Rutgers as big wins. Do you really think you are helping your overall case here?
Understanding CFB means knowing that every win is hyper important and therefore a big win.
Beating UM and OSU, but then losing to Rutgers and IU doesn't help you.

They have been more competitive with OSU on a year to year basis than any other team.

Since their last win, their losses have been by: 1,1,9,13,9,13 and 8. All one or two score games.

Compare that with MSU for example. Since their last win, they have lost by 1, 45, 20, 24, 40, 49, 29 and 35. All blowouts except for one.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Understanding CFB means knowing that every win is hyper important and therefore a big win.
I find it amazing that people have a hard time grasping this concept. Each win is equally important. MSU 2017 destroyed a season. They ain't Michigan or Ohio State. If Penn State beats Pitt in '16 they make the playoff even with the Michigan blowout. So in actuality the loss to Pitt meant more than the win against Ohio State.
While beating Ohio State has more meaning to the program than beating Rutgers at the end of the day a win is a win and all have equal importance when it comes to seasons end.
The meaning of wins vary, the wins themselves don't.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
You should be more concerned about whether our current coach who gets paid 9 million a year and has $70 million guaranteed from PSU can ever beat OSU or Michigan again and whether he now can beat USC or Oregon ever.
I think PSU beats Michigan - with all of their losses - this year. Not sure about OSU but PSU always plays them tough. A game to watch will be the USC game in L.A in October. The big question mark with USC is - of course - whether they can put a decent defense on the field. If Lincoln Riley can do that, watch out for that team as they'll be loaded - as usual - on offense

I think PSU beats Michigan - with all of their losses - this year. Not sure about OSU but PSU always plays them tough. A game to watch will be the USC game in L.A in October. The big question mark with USC is - of course - whether they can put a decent defense on the field. If Lincoln Riley can do that, watch out for that team as they'll be loaded - as usual - on offense
This why I'm glad college football is getting turned on it's head in every phase. Because playing a 3-9 USC or Texas is a harder game to win than beating an 11-0 Boise State or Tulane.
Roster talent matters, record be damned. You catch a down blue blood on the wrong day and it doesn't matter how good you are. You can't say that for middlings or lower like say Syracuse or NC State.
Turn it upside down, let everything fall on the floor, then organize it properly.

LMK when he goes 12 years between wins over Michigan and I'll worry...

USC went 8-5 last season, has a shit defense, loses Caleb Williams and you're afraid of them why? What point are you trying to prove? We both know you won't give any credit for beating them next year when they finish with 3, 4 or 5 losses. USC has dropped 4 straight vs Utah because they can't handle physical football teams. They're going to struggle in the big ten. I'll let you tell me why their recent lack of success against Utah doesn't matter though.

The only game you're going to care about winning on next year's schedule is OSU. Everyone else is going to be 10-2 Iowa of 2023 or worse.
If USC is good then I will give him credit. If they stink with 5 losses then he doesn't get credit. He couldn't beat a very beatable USC team in the Rose Bowl so he has shown nothing versus them. Iowa was a joke this year. Did you see that clown show bowl game? Again, stop comparing the old Joe to Franklin. Joe should have retired by then.

If USC is good then I will give him credit. If they stink with 5 losses then he doesn't get credit. He couldn't beat a very beatable USC team in the Rose Bowl so he has shown nothing versus them. Iowa was a joke this year. Did you see that clown show bowl game? Again, stop comparing the old Joe to Franklin. Joe should have retired by then.

He’s played them once, with a different coaching staff. He’s also 1-0 against Washington which is also irrelevant.

You’re giving Franklin a 1 game season next year. OSU or bust. Just come out and say it. If he doesn’t beat osu you’ll be tickled pink because you get to bitch for another 12 months.

Comparing him to Joe over any time period is a waste because college football is drastically different vs the 70s 80s even 90s, but here are joes numbers his first ten years since you’re unhappy with what the end of joes career was at that point. For an abundance of clarity Franklin just completed his 10th season. 10 seasons in Joe was 1-7 against the top 5. 4-8 when you expand it to the top 10. Please let me know why comparing each coaches first 10 years is also unreasonable since you don’t think “old Joe” counts.

Last edited:
He’s played them once, with a different coaching staff. He’s also 1-0 against Washington which is also irrelevant.

You’re giving Franklin a 1 game season next year. OSU or bust. Just come out and say it. If he doesn’t beat osu you’ll be tickled pink because you get to bitch for another 12 months.

Comparing him to Joe over any time period is a waste because college football is drastically different vs the 70s 80s even 90s, but here are joes numbers his first ten years since you’re unhappy with what the end of joes career was at that point. For an abundance of clarity Franklin just completed his 10th season. 10 seasons in Joe was 1-7 against the top 5. 4-8 when you expand it to the top 10. Please let me know why comparing each coaches first 10 years is also unreasonable since you don’t think “old Joe” counts.
If we make the playoffs then at least we are getting somewhere. If we lose to OSU but still make the playoff then I will be annoyed as hell as you should be but at least we can make a playoff. If we lose our first playoff game and all our wins are versus average teams then we have made a tiny progress buJames will still be known as not being able to win a big game. If USC and Washington are good and we beat them then great. If they aren't then he didn't accomplish much. Pretty simple.

Franklin is 3-16 vs top ten teams so Joe beats him. Plus Joe had 3 undefeated seasons. Franklin none. And Joe should gave been awarded at least one NC during that time.

Please refer to my previous comment about dying on a hill. 🙄🙄

the last contract extension should have been 5 or 6 years, and he would be feeling some real heat right now. the amount of years on that contract is the entire problem, IMO. it's not much different from when JoePa felt that he had received a lifetime appointment to the HC position

the last contract extension should have been 5 or 6 years, and he would be feeling some real heat right now. the amount of years on that contract is the entire problem, IMO. it's not much different from when JoePa felt that he had received a lifetime appointment to the HC position
Yep. The dude has the cushiest deal known to man. Just beat the teams you are supposed to beat, lose to everyone else and the ridiculous money that only a tiny, tiny fraction of the U.S. population can attain just keeps flowing in for the next 7 years. Actually it is worse, just show up to work. He doesn't have to win.

Yep. The dude has the cushiest deal known to man. Just beat the teams you are supposed to beat, lose to everyone else and the ridiculous money that only a tiny, tiny fraction of the U.S. population can attain just keeps flowing in for the next 7 years.
the amount of money per year is not really the issue. The issue is the number of years. if they paid him this amount, but through 2025 or 2026 he would be on the hot seat right now.

the amount of money per year is not really the issue. The issue is the number of years. if they paid him this amount, but through 2025 or 2026 he would be on the hot seat right now.
It is the combo, we are paying him a lot (too much) per year especially for the results we are getting. $5 mill a year for 10 years is a lot better than $9 mill or $10 mill for ten years.

Yep. The dude has the cushiest deal known to man. Just beat the teams you are supposed to beat, lose to everyone else and the ridiculous money that only a tiny, tiny fraction of the U.S. population can attain just keeps flowing in for the next 7 years. Actually it is worse, just show up to work. He doesn't have to win.
So if he was making less, you’d be happy with him? Why do I doubt that? And all coaches are paid to beat the teams they’re supposed to beat, but most of them don’t do it on a consistent basis. It’s not as easy as you’re making it out to be.

It is the combo, we are paying him a lot (too much) per year especially for the results we are getting. $5 mill a year for 10 years is a lot better than $9 mill or $10 mill for ten years.
yeah, I guess I totally disagree. That's not really the way it works when you are trying to hire for a certain job. Jim Harbaugh makes over 8 million and Ryan Day makes over 9 million. If you want PSU to pay a fraction of that, you will only be finding less qualified people

There is ZERO chance Franklin would be on any hot seat with the PSU administration right now, regardless of his salary or number of years left on his contract. Like Blutarsky's GPA, ZERO point ZERO. PSU isn't going to fire a coach after consecutive 10+ win seasons. It's more likely the opposite were true, if he were on a short term contract he probably would have signed an extension this offseason, especially with some of the higher profile jobs that had opened up recently.

yeah, I guess I totally disagree. That's not really the way it works when you are trying to hire for a certain job. Jim Harbaugh makes over 8 million and Ryan Day makes over 9 million. If you want PSU to pay a fraction of that, you will only be finding less qualified people
Hungrier maybe not less qualified. Obviously we are getting no where paying him that unless you like beating Rutgers and Maryland every year and losing to Michigan and Ohio State.

So if he was making less, you’d be happy with him? Why do I doubt that? And all coaches are paid to beat the teams they’re supposed to beat, but most of them don’t do it on a consistent basis. It’s not as easy as you’re making it out to be.
With our talent advantage he better damn well beat Rutgers, Indiana and Maryland every year. And if he was paid less and he still lost all the big games then no I wouldn't be happy. However at least we could use that money elsewhere like helping some of the non-revenue sports instead of in this guy's pocket so he can buy 10 cars and 5 other houses.

With our talent advantage he better damn well beat Rutgers, Indiana and Maryland every year. And if he was paid less and he still lost all the big games then no I wouldn't be happy. However at least we could use that money elsewhere like helping some of the non-revenue sports instead of in this guy's pocket so he can buy 10 cars and 5 other houses.
Like you really care about helping non-revenue sports. And I seriously doubt Franklin has a bunch of cars and houses. And many teams have a talent advantage over the teams they play yet they don’t beat them all. You act as if we’re beating all MAC level teams and that’s just not the case, but you know that.

Like you really care about helping non-revenue sports. And I seriously doubt Franklin has a bunch of cars and houses. And many teams have a talent advantage over the teams they play yet they don’t beat them all. You act as if we’re beating all MAC level teams and that’s just not the case, but you know that.
I do care about helping the true student athletes and you know nothing about what I care about The guy is overpaid based on the results we get. If you think old James should get pats on the back for toughing it out with 10 mill a year to beat teams with a complete and utter talent disadvantage to PSU then crap the bed in our big games vs OSU and Michigan then I truly feel sorry for you.

I do care about helping the true student athletes and you know nothing about what I care about The guy is overpaid based on the results we get. If you think old James should get pats on the back for toughing it out with 10 mill a year to beat teams with a complete and utter talent disadvantage to PSU then crap the bed in our big games vs OSU and Michigan then I truly feel sorry for you.
I have AWS on mute, but I had to unmute to see what he replied to you with...LOL....I believe it is well documented that JF has (or did at least) a vacation spot like in the FL/GA area. And, AWS seriously doubts that JF has multiple cars or lives lavishly? Jeepers...some fanboys on here just throw out all the word salad they can. I mean, who knows, JF could live more frugal than most. But, to use that as the basis of any argument regarding how JF needs to do better is myopic. But, coming from this board, what do we expect?

What do 10 "A's" and 2 "F's" workout to as a GPA? Pretty decent but then you have to weight the 2 Fs more so probably B to B minus level.
Respectfully, since you brought up grades, if this was at PSU and graded on a curve, most of the wins would have gotten no more than a C, give or take. I'd also say the same for the losses. The Def played pretty well. The O, not so much - C overall.

He’s not overpaid based on the results. He’s not paid in the top 10, so why should the expectation that he finish in the top 4? And if he doesn’t live up to your expectations, then nobody does except for maybe two or three coaches.

I have AWS on mute, but I had to unmute to see what he replied to you with...LOL....I believe it is well documented that JF has (or did at least) a vacation spot like in the FL/GA area. And, AWS seriously doubts that JF has multiple cars or lives lavishly? Jeepers...some fanboys on here just throw out all the word salad they can. I mean, who knows, JF could live more frugal than most. But, to use that as the basis of any argument regarding how JF needs to do better is myopic. But, coming from this board, what do we expect?
Might help if you read the post I was replying to…he said Franklin had like 10 cars and 5 houses and I doubt he has that. It wasn’t a basis for any argument, just calling out ridiculous statements. Now put me back on ignore so you don’t have to deal with any other counter arguments to your narrow minded way of thinking.

He’s not overpaid based on the results. He’s not paid in the top 10, so why should the expectation that he finish in the top 4? And if he doesn’t live up to your expectations, then nobody does except for maybe two or three coaches.
He's overpaid for crying out loud. The dude cannot win a big game if his life depended on it. Just keep defending him as we lose year after year to teams of equal talent.

Just stop trying to hold Franklin up to Joe. Joe competed when he did. The modern day Joe, meaning if Joe was Franklin's age would be a much better coach than Franklin. And I guarantee you he would have gotten us into a 4 team playoff at least one time.

I guess you are trying to say Joe's teams never played anybody and we need to discount all his wins? And somehow the two national championships were achieved without any big wins. The guy won a ton of bowl games versus teams of equal talent! How many wins does Franklin have like that? OSU in '16, Washington in '17. Michigan in '17 and '19 (skip Covid year) and I guess Utah last year. Totally disagree with whatever point you are trying to make but you can believe what you want.

Sadly with the addition of USC and Oregon, Penn State moves closer to the middle of the pack.

Is Penn State closer to Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa? Or are they right behind Michigan and Ohio State?

Then entering this year, are they closer to Oregon and USC, or UCLA and Washington? By that I mean a combination of yearly talent, wins, prestige. Washington obviously made the championship, but as a program I feel Oregon is ahead of them ,despite the last three contests.

In the now retired 4 team playoff era:

Appearances: Ohio State has 5, with a 3-4 record. 1 National Title

Michigan has 3, with a 2-2 record. 1 National Title

Washington has 2, with a 1-2 record. No title.

Oregon has 1, with a 1-1 record. No Title.

Michigan State has 1, with a 0-1 record. No Title. 1 Blowout loss.

Outside of the B1G:
Alabama -8 appearances. 3 Titles
Clemson- 6 appearances. 2 Titles
Oklahoma- 4 appearances, 0 Titles and no wins. 3 Blowout losses.
Georgia- 3 appearances. 2 Titles.
Notre Dame- 2 appearances. 0 Titles and 0 wins. 2 Blowout losses.
LSU- 1 appearance. 1 Title.
TCU- 1 appearance. 0 Titles, but 1 win and 1 Blowout loss.
Texas- 1 appearance. 0 Title and 0 wins.

Cincy and FSU both have 1 appearance each, 0 wins, and a Blowout loss.

Michigan, Ohio State, Washington, and Oregon all have a Blowout loss in their record books. Ohio State has 2, both to the eventual champion though. Michigan's was to eventual champion Georgia, and Oregon's was to champion Ohio State.

All this means what exactly? Only that programs like USC, Florida, Texas A&M, Miami, all have failed to make a playoff. Oklahoma and Notre Dame were destroyed each time they made. All of those programs have gone through multiple head coaches since 2014. The same year of the first 4 team playoff.

What is mediocre, and what constitutes being okay with it? I would point to a program like Iowa(a program, fan base, and coach I have massive respect for). Most in that fan base think he is a hall of famer. With 0 sole conference titles, 1 NY6 Bowl win. 2 Blowouts in 2015 and 2002. The answer is unclear to me, but so is the question.

I guess it depends on what you think the programs place in college football is.

Is Penn State closer to Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa? Or are they right behind Michigan and Ohio State?

Then entering this year, are they closer to Oregon and USC, or UCLA and Washington? By that I mean a combination of yearly talent, wins, prestige. Washington obviously made the championship, but as a program I feel Oregon is ahead of them ,despite the last three contests.

In the now retired 4 team playoff era:

Appearances: Ohio State has 5, with a 3-4 record. 1 National Title

Michigan has 3, with a 2-2 record. 1 National Title

Washington has 2, with a 1-2 record. No title.

Oregon has 1, with a 1-1 record. No Title.

Michigan State has 1, with a 0-1 record. No Title. 1 Blowout loss.

Outside of the B1G:
Alabama -8 appearances. 3 Titles
Clemson- 6 appearances. 2 Titles
Oklahoma- 4 appearances, 0 Titles and no wins. 3 Blowout losses.
Georgia- 3 appearances. 2 Titles.
Notre Dame- 2 appearances. 0 Titles and 0 wins. 2 Blowout losses.
LSU- 1 appearance. 1 Title.
TCU- 1 appearance. 0 Titles, but 1 win and 1 Blowout loss.
Texas- 1 appearance. 0 Title and 0 wins.

Cincy and FSU both have 1 appearance each, 0 wins, and a Blowout loss.

Michigan, Ohio State, Washington, and Oregon all have a Blowout loss in their record books. Ohio State has 2, both to the eventual champion though. Michigan's was to eventual champion Georgia, and Oregon's was to champion Ohio State.

All this means what exactly? Only that programs like USC, Florida, Texas A&M, Miami, all have failed to make a playoff. Oklahoma and Notre Dame were destroyed each time they made. All of those programs have gone through multiple head coaches since 2014. The same year of the first 4 team playoff.

What is mediocre, and what constitutes being okay with it? I would point to a program like Iowa(a program, fan base, and coach I have massive respect for). Most in that fan base think he is a hall of famer. With 0 sole conference titles, 1 NY6 Bowl win. 2 Blowouts in 2015 and 2002. The answer is unclear to me, but so is the question.

I guess it depends on what you think the programs place in college football is.

Your analysis took a lot of work. Thanks for sharing. Your analysis is focused on teams. I interpreted the original post as being more about the coach not the Penn State program. I think there is no doubt that Franklin is a very mediocre coach. However, the Penn State program is very good but has underperformed due to mediocre game day coaching.

Reactions: scrivener
Your analysis took a lot of work. Thanks for sharing. Your analysis is focused on teams. I interpreted the original post as being more about the coach not the Penn State program. I think there is no doubt that Franklin is a very mediocre coach. However, the Penn State program is very good but has underperformed due to mediocre game day coaching.
Franklin gets a very good for recruiting but yes a mediocre to below average for game prep and in-game coaching. He seems incapable of making the right adjustments at halftime or earlier. JoePa in his day was the best at adjustments and we won many games in the 2nd half because of his ability to make the right adjustments.

He's overpaid for crying out loud. The dude cannot win a big game if his life depended on it. Just keep defending him as we lose year after year to teams of equal talent.
Sorry, the last two years we lost to teams with better talent.

Sorry, the last two years we lost to teams with better talent.
Nope. Our talent stacked right up there with OSU this year. And I guess every year we have lost to OSU they gave had better talent? Nothing to do at all with coaching. And Michigan State had better talent and USC and Illinois and Minnesota and Michigan? We could not make the playoff nor beat USC in '16 despite how many NFL players on offense? Barkley. Godwin, Gesicki, McSorely and more. Then again in '17 we waste NFL talent all over.

Reactions: scrivener
However, the Penn State program is very good but has underperformed due to mediocre game day coaching.

This has been true since 1987, outside of a handful of seasons. '94, '05, '16. You can count them on one hand.

Nope. Our talent stacked right up there with OSU this year. And I guess every year we have lost to OSU they gave had better talent? Nothing to do at all with coaching. And Michigan State had better talent and USC and Illinois and Minnesota and Michigan? We could not make the playoff nor beat USC in '16 despite how many NFL players on offense? Barkley. Godwin, Gesicki, McSorely and more. Then again in '17 we waste NFL talent all over.
He isn't worth debating...it's total apologetic nonsense from him. To take your reply (which I agree with) further, how are other teams with perceived 'lesser' talent getting it done then in big games? Happens every Saturday across CFB. But, for the fanboys on this board, PSUs problems are exclusive to them and them only...no other blue blood has the hurdles we do. It's nonsense.

Reactions: blair10 and ryoder1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT