ADVERTISEMENT

Is Franklin content with being mediocre?

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022

Yes I know its not a new video but just rehashing. The comment ,"we haven't won as much as everyone wants" is not what I want to hear from my head coach. He's got his big contract and maybe he's just content with winning the games he should.

How many times in his career has he said that he needs to do a better job as a coach/taken resonsibility?

• Haha
Reactions: JoeParulz

Yes I know its not a new video but just rehashing. The comment ,"we haven't won as much as everyone wants" is not what I want to hear from my head coach. He's got his big contract and maybe he's just content with winning the games he should.

How many times in his career has he said that he needs to do a better job as a coach/taken resonsibility?
As long as the majority of our fan base are apologists like spin meister and the like, Franklin will continue to go without being held accountable. You know that too but won't call them out like I do.

Nope.
Penn State football’s recruiting budget was effectively doubled, up from $1.143 million during the 2022-23 fiscal year according to Penn State athletics’ most recently released fiscal year reporting.The report indicates that Penn State football operated with a budget of $2.8 million during the most recently completed fiscal year. According to a USA Today (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2023/04/05/college-football-recruiting-budget-georgia-alabama-tennessee/11605732002/) report of similar data in April of 2023, Penn Stat’s mark of $2.8 million would be the fifth-best in the nation behind Tennessee, Texas A&M, Clemson and Georgia. Similar reporting stated that Michigan spent $2.24 million.

10 wins a year is NOT mediocre.

As someone who's not an apologist for his lack of success against Ohio State and Michigan nor his failure to make the playoff...we're not mediocre. We're good to great depending on the definition. We're the college football version of the Dolphins.

Reactions: bdgan

Almost every video/interview with Franklin he says "I need to do a better job" so if you are saying he never does then you aren't fully watching (or selectively watching). The idea that Franklin is satisfied and just in it for money is ridiculous.

As long as the majority of our fan base are apologists like spin meister and the like, Franklin will continue to go without being held accountable. You know that too but won't call them out like I do.
You are just so proud of yourself........"I'm the only one who calls him out, I'm not an aplogist" I like to come here and see what is going on but you start so many threads and comment so many times it is painful man. Get another hobby, find something that makes you happy.

You are just so proud of yourself........"I'm the only one who calls him out, I'm not an aplogist" I like to come here and see what is going on but you start so many threads and comment so many times it is painful man. Get another hobby, find something that makes you happy.
Maybe you should too. I don't actually actively seek out people to attack on message boards and unlike you, I don't do it on boards I pay for.

As someone who's not an apologist for his lack of success against Ohio State and Michigan nor his failure to make the playoff...we're not mediocre. We're good to great depending on the definition. We're the college football version of the Dolphins.
agree with this. we are not mediocre. categorizing this as mediocre is really not helpful, and sets the bar too low when psu does eventually make a coaching change. we need someone who can take it from 10-2 to 12-0. for that, you basically need someone who has already demonstrated that by taking a program to the playoffs and/or national title game. preferably more than once

Reactions: dswartz
agree with this. we are not mediocre. categorizing this as mediocre is really not helpful, and sets the bar too low when psu does eventually make a coaching change. we need someone who can take it from 10-2 to 12-0. for that, you basically need someone who has already demonstrated that by taking a program to the playoffs and/or national title game. preferably more than once
I have read these comments concerning Franklin to the point of ok enough, what I have not seen: “ we need someone who has……..” , exactly please someone provide a realistic name. Thank You!

Reactions: stf110
I have read these comments concerning Franklin to the point of ok enough, what I have not seen: “ we need someone who has……..” , exactly please someone provide a realistic name. Thank You!
Who has said we "need someone who has"?
I think almost everyone hear knows the person we hire is based on potential if we move on from Franklin but that's okay--see Smart. To be elite, which is the goal, you have to take chances.

The heat will be on this year if he doesn’t make the playoffs and it’s time for this guy to show up

Reactions: psuno1

I don’t believe Franklin genuinely knows the difference between mediocre and great/good/elite.

I mean, we're dealing with a poster that last February called me out for being an "apologist" for not demanding that Micah be fired for his poor performance...and a month later, was calling out Kraft for being a "failure" for not being able to keep Micah.

The heat will be on this year if he doesn’t make the playoffs and it’s time for this guy to show up
No it won't. These apologists will just move those goal posts back and make the new set of excuses. You and I both know that. It's what this fan base does: drop to their knees for any and all coaches.

• Haha
Reactions: dswartz and blair10
Would love to see how some of you would actually handle an extended period of mediocrity from a future staff if it didn't mean having to watch it myself.

Reactions: bigbopper1985
Said another way....he can't win the most important games.

Reactions: psu00
Great recruiter, elite politician, good to mediocre football coach
What do 10 "A's" and 2 "F's" workout to as a GPA? Pretty decent but then you have to weight the 2 Fs more so probably B to B minus level.

I mean, we're dealing with a poster that last February called me out for being an "apologist" for not demanding that Micah be fired for his poor performance...and a month later, was calling out Kraft for being a "failure" for not being able to keep Micah.
Be careful, you're dealing with a guy who likes to call people out to fight in the small parking lot behind Champs on Allen Street.

Be careful, you're dealing with a guy who likes to call people out to fight in the small parking lot behind Champs on Allen Street.
Look at them attack and attack and attack like Franklin is their Daddy. Lol

Franklin:
  • Recruits pretty well but not elite.
  • Is a knowledgeable coach who performs well against weaker opponents.
  • His shorts get tight in big games.
  • Really wants to make the playoffs and win a NC. No he's not satisfied.
  • When he says he needs to coach better he might be right but he's trying not to dump on his players.

What do 10 "A's" and 2 "F's" workout to as a GPA? Pretty decent but then you have to weight the 2 Fs more so probably B to B minus level.
1. Sports is not really about a B ceiling.
2. PSU is paying A- money for B- performance

I've criticized Franklin's actual football coaching for awhile now, while praising every other aspect of his performance and expressing hope that he'd get better at the actual football part. But it's been 10yrs and we're still having the same conversation. I fear this is the ceiling.

To answer @fastlax16 and others who defend JFs results by predicting mediocrity with a coaching change, I say, "I'm game". I'd rather have some down years while trying to win instead of accepting "B-" as the likely annual result.
Look at the eagles...when Reid departed, they took a risk on Chip Kelly. He got rid of stars and brought in his system guys. It didn't work, but at least they tried. Jeffrey Laurie/Roseman cut bait and hired Pederson, also a risky choice. It led to the Superbowl 3 yrs later. Then some issues. Pederson is out...Sirianni gets his first HC gig, they draft Hurts and go back to the SB.

Point is, if you're not trying to win, you're not trying to win...and i'd like to at least try.

Last edited:

I've criticized Franklin's actual football coaching for awhile now, while praising every other aspect of his performance and expressing hope that he'd get better at the actual football part. But it's been 10yrs and we're still having the same conversation. I fear this is the ceiling.

To answer @fastlax16 and others who defend JFs results by predicting mediocrity with a coaching change, I say, "I'm game". I'd rather have some down years while trying to win instead of accepting "B-" as the likely annual result.
Look at the eagles...when Reid departed, they took a risk on Chip Kelly. He got rid of stars and brought in his system guys. It didn't work, but at least they tried. Jeffrey Laurie/Roseman cut bait and hired Pederson, also a risky choice. It led to the Superbowl 3 yrs later. Then some issues. Pederson is out...Sirianni gets his first HC gig, they draft Hurts and go back to the SB.

Point is, if you're not trying to win, you're not trying to win...and old like to at least try.
PSU certainly isn’t working with A level NIL money. Perhaps you should donate more if you are unhappy with the results.

Point is, if you're not trying to win, you're not trying to win...and old like to at least try.

I didn't predict mediocrity. I said calling what's going on now mediocrity is ridiculous and I wish those that think it is could experience actual mediocrity.

The conversation isn't the same after 10 years.
14/15 it was sanctions and scholarship reductions
2016/17/18/19 it was need to stop losing to an underdog and letting it tank the season (Pitt/MSU/MSU/Minnesota)
2020 was covid
2021 was no backup qb ready when Clifford went down
2022/2023 were can't be two top 5 teams.

He actually took care of the issue that was plaguing the program which were the bad losses, unfortunately OSU took a step forward under Day and Harbaugh found some methods for ramping things up at Michigan and both programs (especially Michigan) are much better than they were 2016-2020. Michigan fans in 2020 actually sounded exactly like you do. We just need a manifesto.

Reactions: dswartz and royboy
Franklin:
  • Recruits pretty well but not elite.
  • Is a knowledgeable coach who performs well against weaker opponents.
  • His shorts get tight in big games.
  • Really wants to make the playoffs and win a NC. No he's not satisfied.
  • When he says he needs to coach better he might be right but he's trying not to dump on his players.
Your last point is political rhetoric, all talk no action. Yeah you say that but you don't actually coach better, James. What should we do with you? Oh hell we can't get rid of you because we will owe you $70 million so we have to sit here and listen to your empty promises.

I didn't predict mediocrity. I said calling what's going on now mediocrity is ridiculous and I wish those that think it is could experience actual mediocrity.

2016/17/18/19 it was need to stop losing to an underdog and letting it tank the season (Pitt/MSU/MSU/Minnesota)
2020 was covid

He actually took care of the issue that was plaguing the program which were the bad losses, unfortunately OSU took a step forward under Day and Harbaugh found some methods for ramping things up at Michigan and both programs (especially Michigan) are much better than they were 2016-2020. Michigan fans in 2020 actually sounded exactly like you do. We just need a manifesto.
Great, so we now beat touchdown plus underdogs. He is a good coach overall, below average game day coach compared to his competitive set peers. That's what we got which I think unfortunately translates into continuing to lose in big games where the talent level is equal and it comes down to game planning, adjustments and clutch playcalling.

I think people are largely talking past each on language which causes conflict. It's all about context.

On the whole of CFB, is PSU 'mediocre?' No.
It's fair to say that PSU is roughly in the 90% percentile of CFB.
But if you put the comments in context, there are not far off. As an example, there are NFL players that get described as mediocre or bad or average. On the whole, there is not a single person in the NFL that fits that description. Even practice squad guys are all in the top 1% of football players. But we judge people in context, against their peers. Player X is a "mediocre NFL player." Again, no NFL player is a mediocre athlete, but a player can be mediocre in the context of other NFL players.

And so we judge JF and PSU, not amongst the aggregate of CFB, but amongst the peers. JF is paid as a tier 1 coach and so he is judged against other tier 1 coaches. Looking at the 2023 season. PSU beat 10 mediocre football teams and were not very competitive against the 3 teams who were NOT mediocre. I don't think it's crazy to note that JFs teams have not been that well coached and he makes head-scratcher decisions far too often. When asked, he'll lean on "the analytics" not taking into account that his team has not performed well on the type of play the analytics were analyzing. Not much seems to have changed on this front in 10 years.

So, in summary, PSU and JF are not a mediocre football program. But JF, in the context of his salary and top CFB programs, is pretty mediocre.
If we throw out JFs first 2 years for "sanctions," and we throw out 2020, and for any unranked season, we assume PSU was ranked 26, then PSU's average ranking during JF's tenure is 12-13. So, with those adjustments, PSU is about a 90% percentile team, but there is a significant difference between 90 and 95-100.
One bit of comparison. JF's ceiling so far is finishing 7th(twice) with another finish at 9. In Paterno's final decade, which included the dark years, he still managed 3 top 10 finishes, including a #3. (Does anyone think Joe recruited better in his final decade than JF has?) As I've said before, the average of JF's results would be accepted by the fan base, if he ever managed to get over the hump. My criticism of JF is not the average, but the evidence that suggests he is not capable of competing with his peer level of coach/program and therefore will only ever win the B1G if his peers all have a down year.

2020 was covid

I really don't want to argue with you. As I just responded to fairfaxlion2, I believe there is a discrepency in how boards members are utilizing the term mediocrity. On the wholew, PSU is not mediocre., but versus its historically peer programs.....

But back to your statement. To avoid confusion, here is your exact post..

Would love to see how some of you would actually handle an extended period of mediocrity from a future staff if it didn't mean having to watch it myself.

I took that to mean that you believe we should shut up and be happy with JF becuase if PSU moved on, PSU might be worse. Is that fair?
If so, my assessment was that I'd risk "mediocrity" by your definition, if it meant that PSU was trying to compete for a NC, vs being content at the 2nd tier and not really competing well with the 1st Tier.

Last edited:
I think people are largely talking past each on language which causes conflict. It's all about context.

But if you put the comments in context, there are not far off. As an example, there are NFL players that get described as mediocre or bad or average. On the whole, there is not a single person in the NFL that fits that description. Even practice squad guys are all in the top 1% of football players. But we judge people in context, against their peers. Player X is a "mediocre NFL player." Again, no NFL player is a mediocre athlete, but a player can be mediocre in the context of other NFL players.

And so we judge JF and PSU, not amongst the aggregate of CFB, but amongst the peers. JF is paid as a tier 1 coach and so he is judged against other tier 1 coaches. Looking at the 2023 season. PSU beat 10 mediocre football teams and were not very competitive against the 3 teams who were NOT mediocre. I don't think it's crazy to note that JFs teams have not been that well coached and he makes head-scratcher decisions far too often. When asked, he'll lean on "the analytics" not taking into account that his team has not performed well on the type of play the analytics were analyzing. Not much seems to have changed on this front in 10 years.

So, in summary, PSU and JF are not a mediocre football program. But JF, in the context of his salary and top CFB programs, is pretty mediocre.
If we throw out JFs first 2 years for "sanctions," and we throw out 2020, and for any unranked season, we assume PSU was ranked 26, then PSU's average ranking during JF's tenure is 12-13. So, with those adjustments, PSU is about a 90% percentile team, but there is a significant difference between 90 and 95-100.
One bit of comparison. JF's ceiling so far is finishing 7th(twice) with another finish at 9. In Paterno's final decade, which included the dark years, he still managed 3 top 10 finishes, including a #3. (Does anyone think Joe recruited better in his final decade than JF has?) As I've said before, the average of JF's results would be accepted by the fan base, if he ever managed to get over the hump. My criticism of JF is not the average, but the evidence that suggests he is not capable of competing with his peer level of coach/program and therefore will only ever win the B1G if his peers all have a down year.

I agree with almost everything you have stated. Now, the probability of Penn State’s peer competitors all having a down year in the same year is zero. Statistics aside, the benchmark will be peer programs like Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Washington, and Oregon. How Franklin performs against these tier 1 competitors will determine his legacy at Penn State.

Reactions: heckmans

Now compare Michigan and Ohio State over Joe’s final decade to their current programs. How many top 5 teams did Joe face those seasons? How many top 10? How many seasons with multiple top 10 opponents? How many has Franklin faced? Silly to act like those programs aren’t currently at all time highs, especially UM. Joe struggled with average Michigan teams until Carr retired. Would love to get the Rich Rod Wolverines on the current schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUSignore

When did you or the majority of fans ever demand excellence? PSU only averaged about 9-3 the previous 40 years which most fans consider the golden age.

When did "Success with Honor" start? I think that slogan started as an excuse for the lack of success and it implied the teams with MORE success did not have honor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT