May 27, 2011
Tom Brands quote after Purdue "It's the lineup you're going to see."

That being said:

125 - Mackall dec Perez (ISU 3 Iowa 0)

133 - Gomez dec Desanto (ISU 6 Iowa 0)

141 - Murin dec Parker (ISU 6 Iowa 3)

149 - Degen dec Happell (ISU 9 Iowa 3)

157 - Carr dec Young (ISU 12 Iowa 3)

165 - Marinelli maj Jennings (ISU 12 Iowa 7)

174 - Coleman dec Wilson (ISU 15 Iowa 7)

184 - Wilke dec Colbray (ISU 15 Iowa 10)

197 - Miklus dec Bowman (ISU 18 Iowa 10)

Hvy - Gremmel dec Costello (ISU 21 Iowa 10)

That being said:

too many oranges!

So THE U of I(njury) loses to little bro, OMG, danger!

Christmas will have come early for JTS!

Ps - turk take note it wasnt me who started this. I know you like to keep track of these things.

Have you heard Carr was getting redshirt pulled? If so, ISU has s shot

If I’m an Hawk fan and they put out that lineup 2 weeks in a row, I’m disgusted.

The rumors were Lee and Lugo had the flu last week. If they aren’t on the mat this week, that’s being way to conservative for my liking.

Warner still hung over from jet lag? Or injury?
Where is Stoll?

Very odd for the Hawk fans and I don’t blame the fans for wanting answers.

Reactions: diggerpup

That being said:

Is it possible for a message board to have a head explode?

Does Desanto and Young have the flu as well??

I'm with you. Carr and Gomez are quality wrestlers, but assuming both win in Carver against AA contenders is a big ask. ISU hasn't beaten Iowa since 2004, and I don't see that changing this Saturday. Even without 5 starters, Iowa's lineup is better than 80% of the field.

I thought I’d read somewhere that Warner will compete in this dual. Too old to recall whether it was a reputable source.

If I’m an Hawk fan and they put out that lineup 2 weeks in a row, I’m disgusted.

The rumors were Lee and Lugo had the flu last week. If they aren’t on the mat this week, that’s being way to conservative for my liking.

Where is Stoll?

Carr is making the trip and will weigh in. Have to believe there will be a temptation to send him out there if they have 2 or 3 wins heading into 157. Beating Young in Carver will not be easy for the true freshman however Monday gave him all he could handle and Carr is a better version. Furthermore, there is a lot of unjustified hype about Young who has yet to prove to be an AA caliber wrestler, imo.

As for the lineup, just going off what was said by the head coach. Personally, I have a hard time believing Brands would risk this result and think he will have one of more starters back for this dual.

Last edited:
So THE U of I(njury) loses to little bro, OMG, danger!

Christmas will have come early for JTS!

Ps - turk take note it wasnt me who started this. I know you like to keep track of these things.
If they lose, may need your advice on a new username.

Ya know, I’d certainly want to send my condolences and all....

Last edited:

Where is Stoll?

Whatever you do, don’t suggest there’s more to this than sickness like I did last week. God forbid suggesting maybe there was an off the mat matter Tom is taking care of.

I thought I’d read somewhere that Warner will compete in this dual. Too old to recall whether it was a reputable source.
The match notes list Warner as the starter. Last week it was Warner or Corbin. But then Bowman wrestled so who knows.

Reactions: andegre
Let’s bench 5 ranked PSU starters and compare

125 - Mackall dec Schnupp (ISU 3 PSU 0)

133 - Gomez dec RBY (ISU 6 PSU 0)

141 - Lee MD Parker (ISU 6 PSU 4)

149 - Verkleeren dec Degen (ISU 6 PSU 7)

157 - Carr MD Pipher (ISU 10 PSU 7)

165 - Jennings dec Friery (ISU 13 PSU 7)

174 - Coleman dec Manville (ISU 16 PSU 7)

184 - Colbray dec Bisono (ISU 19 PSU 7)

197 - Miklus TF Hoeg (ISU 24 PSU 7)

Hwy- Cassar MD Gremmel (ISU 24 PSU 11)

Our guys don't sit for jetlag (Berge wrestled and was in same tourney as Warner). Our guys also wrestle if they have the sniffles, so seriously doubt it would ever happen

Our guys don't sit for jetlag (Berge wrestled and was in same tourney as Warner). Our guys also wrestle if they have the sniffles, so seriously doubt it would ever happen
First, Berge got hurt and had to MFF so might not have been a smart move. Second, this just proves if you take out 5 ranked starters from the best team in the nation, they most likely lose. Third, I’m not comparing how coaches handle their lineups, just showing that no matter how good a team is, nobody can overcome half their lineup being out

First, Berge got hurt and had to MFF so might not have been a smart move. Second, this just proves if you take out 5 ranked starters from the best team in the nation, they most likely lose. Third, I’m not comparing how coaches handle their lineups, just showing that no matter how good a team is, nobody can overcome half their lineup being out
Take out the other half and I bet you get a different result.;) That being said I am with Pish,, Not how we do that.

Reactions: pish69

Yeah Verk's dive roll had nothing to do with the MFF, it must have been the jetlag:rolleyes:

We take duals seriously around these parts..

Yeah Verk's dive roll had nothing to do with the MFF, it must have been the jetlag:rolleyes:

We take duals seriously around these parts..
I’m not comparing how Brands and Cael handle their lineups. We all know on this board, Cael’s way is gospel and Brands is wrong. Just simply pointing out it’s nearly impossible to overcome 5 ranked starters sitting any dual.

Well, I then say this much: if ISU should be the Sqwawkers (I doubt it), and UNI, on paper, is expected to beat ISU later in the year, that would give the mythical "State title" to UNI this year!

Yippee!! Go ISU!

You arguement is valid but your bias is evident when you pick Gomez and Coleman

Manville is not your typical second stringer

You arguement is valid but your bias is evident when you pick Gomez and Coleman

Manville is not your typical second stringer
The original prediction at the top of this thread has Gomez beating Desanto who is top 10. If Gomez is that highly thought of then he should beat RBY. You could even flip those 2 matches and it would be 18-17 ISU

The original prediction at the top of this thread has Gomez beating Desanto who is top 10. If Gomez is that highly thought of then he should beat RBY. You could even flip those 2 matches and it would be 18-17 ISU

I dont think Gomez beats DeSanto either and feel RBY would MD both of em. Either way I will leave you with your hypothetical 1 point dual win.

133 - RBY dec Gomez (ISU 3 PSU 3)

141 - Parker dec Dom G (ISU 6 PSU 3)

149 - Berge MD Degen (PSU 7 ISU 6)

157 - Carr MD Pipher (PSU 11 ISU 10)

165 - Cenzo MD Jennings (PSU 15 ISU 10)

174 - Manville dec Coleman (PSU 18 ISU 10)

184 - Colbray dec Bisono (PSU 18 ISU 13)

197 - Nickal dec Miklus (PSU 21 ISU 13)

Hwy- Nevills MD Gremmel (PSU 25 ISU 13)

That's five ranked guys missing from PSU's lineup (Lee, Nolf, Hall, Shak, and Cassar) and the five missing guys are closer to (but still clearly better than) the five guys missing from the Iowa lineup.

I dont think Gomez beats DeSanto either and feel RBY would MD both of em. Either way I will leave you with your hypothetical 1 point dual win.
My hypothetical 1 point win is probably more likely than the hypothetical 11 point win that started this thread

125 #1 Spencer Lee/Perez Perez vs Alex Mackall
133 #9 Austin DeSanto vs Austin Gomez
141 #8 Max Murin vs Ian Parker
149 #11 Pat Lugo/Carter Happel vs #14 Jarrett Degen
157 #11 Kaleb Young vs Chase Straw
165 #4 Alex Marinelli vs Brady Jennings
174 Myles Wilson vs Marcus Coleman
184 #10 Cash Wilcke vs Danny Bush/Sammy Colbray
197 #11 Jacob Warner/Mitch Bowman vs #5 Willie Miklus
285 Aaron Costello vs Gannon Gremmel

Man, does this piss me off. Dock his parents a point for this flagrant violation. At least a caution for a false start.
I always pictured his dad as being confused by the whole first name last, last name first thing and came up with a way to beat the system.;)

the best thing, very best thing about Iowas resting or holding out 5 starters is that they did NOT forfeit any weights!
kudos to them

Does Desanto and Young have the flu as well??
images

125 #1 Spencer Lee/Perez Perez vs Alex Mackall
133 #9 Austin DeSanto vs Austin Gomez
141 #8 Max Murin vs Ian Parker
149 #11 Pat Lugo/Carter Happel vs #14 Jarrett Degen
157 #11 Kaleb Young vs Chase Straw
165 #4 Alex Marinelli vs Brady Jennings
174 Myles Wilson vs Marcus Coleman
184 #10 Cash Wilcke vs Danny Bush/Sammy Colbray
197 #11 Jacob Warner/Mitch Bowman vs #5 Willie Miklus
285 Aaron Costello vs Gannon Gremmel
Exactly. How have people been getting the idea that several of Iowa's studs won't be wrestling?

1) Spencer was supposedly sick and not injured. I don't see him missing a whole week due to the flu. I bet he goes even if it is a surprise.

2) In terms of team depth and backups in the age of 9.9 no team should have very good depth. Cael's strategy seems to be, build a team where 3-5 elite top 4 wrestlers will trump a team with 10 all-americans. Our recent performance against both Oklahoma State and Ohio State bears that out. Given the last 2 years recruiting classes and the next one coming up, I think Ohio State probably has the best best depth of any team, and in theory (especially in another year) could field the pretty damn good team with all backups. By design the best team Penn State could field entirely composed of backups is three or four studs at most, and we would surely lose against most top 10 teams. This year's team is probably the deepest ever and when you think of it we're really not that deep from a competitive point of view.

I like our depth going forward if Cassar and Shak get extra years!

I’m not comparing how Brands and Cael handle their lineups. We all know on this board, Cael’s way is gospel and Brands is wrong. Just simply pointing out it’s nearly impossible to overcome 5 ranked starters sitting any dual.
Wasn't Iowa still within striking distance of Ohio State last year when Brands sent his backup heavyweight out to face Ohio State's good Snyder? I know in Iowaland Brands is "the genius", but I do prefer the Cael way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT