ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate Duals

They were just talking on Flo about how, by default, Camacho was probably the new #1 at 125.

And then of course he goes 0-3 here.

Crazy weight this year.
Maybe they loved his outfits.

BGB%2BHector%2BCamacho%2BDance%2BHeaddress%2BGIF.gif

Reactions: 1AA and hlstone
Still, a good result for the tanners—not many would have predicted they’d beat NC State this year.

Bouzakis is so up and down. Cut getting him?

Kid could make the NCAA semis or go 1-2. Flip a coin.

Reactions: zzs006
What is the right number? Cael Sanderson wrestled 40 matches a year. The most matches that Aaron Brooks has wrestled is 22. He has a max possible matches this year of 22. That would give him only 92 matches in 5 seasons of competition (mostly 5-easons). That does seem like overworking a guy. Starocci would max out at 86 after this season. So he will do in years what Cael and others did in two years.

I know this is the current way but I like seeing the starters out there every week.
Jimmy Martin had 168 matches. Legend!

Maybe I bought into the hype too much, but Nick Feldman is not the immediate world beater I thought he'd be.
This has been discussed by some of us Buckeye's, and I think losing a full season+ of wrestling and then coming in as a lighter Heavyweight is gonna be tough. Hopefully he improves as the season goes on. I have also heard that Bouz has a hard weight cut, and again that is something that can be worked on as the season goes on. Also looks like we lost Carson again for the season so the Buckeyes are a very young team for the most part. So they will likely have a very up and down season, but most likely will not be in the running for a trophy with both Carson and Sammy out but sometimes that is the way it goes.

This has been discussed by some of us Buckeye's, and I think losing a full season+ of wrestling and then coming in as a lighter Heavyweight is gonna be tough. Hopefully he improves as the season goes on. I have also heard that Bouz has a hard weight cut, and again that is something that can be worked on as the season goes on. Also looks like we lost Carson again for the season so the Buckeyes are a very young team for the most part. So they will likely have a very up and down season, but most likely will not be in the running for a trophy with both Carson and Sammy out but sometimes that is the way it goes.
Sorry to hear about Kharchla. He looked like 174 was going to be the right weight class for him.

Sorry to hear about Kharchla. He looked like 174 was going to be the right weight class for him.
Yea, he has had a rough career health wise, which is too bad as he is a great young man. His dad can be a little crazy, but is not that bad once you get to know him a bit. I think Carson's college career is done, as he will move on to focus on freestyle, where if he can stay healthy may have more success.

Matt Ramos has entered the chat . . .
Nathan Tomasello has entered the chat . . .
Sebastian Rivera has entered the chat . . .
Nick Piccininni has entered the chat . . .
Ronnie Bresser has entered the chat . . .
2 ACLs have entered the chat . . .
It cracks me up. DT lost to one person more than once in college - Kyle Dake. Sir Spencer lost multiple times to .... Sebastian Rivera. Not quite comparable.

Sorry about Kharchla. I hate to see guys get injured, even Buckeyes. Hopefully, both he and Sasso can come back at full strength next year.

In that specific example with that specific wrestler, I seed him fifth instead of first. If the tournament goes chalk and he is seeded first then he faces seeds 8,4,2 in the quarters/semis/finals. If the tournament goes chalk and he is seeded fifth then he faces seeds 4,1,2 in the quarters/semis/finals. That is as much of a hit as I give him without busting the brackets too bad.

$.02
Except it does bust a bracket if you are #5 with Steveson #1. He wrestles #4 and wins to the semis vs Steveson. Guaranteed 6th.

Move Steveson to the 5, that guy is now the 4 and gets Steveson in the Q and is sent to the blood round.

Everyone has to wrestle whomever, but bad seeding does screw with people who have earned a different path.

Except it does bust a bracket if you are #5 with Steveson #1. He wrestles #4 and wins to the semis vs Steveson. Guaranteed 6th.

Move Steveson to the 5, that guy is now the 4 and gets Steveson in the Q and is sent to the blood round.

Everyone has to wrestle whomever, but bad seeding does screw with people who have earned a different path.
What do we do then under the given scenario? Admit the current season's results don't matter and seed him #1 off of wrestling one conference tournament where he did enough to get into the NCAA tournament and forfeited out to 6th place? That may be the answer but giving current year seedings based on career results and ignoring the current season doesn't feel right.

Sorry abput Kharchla. As much as we make fun of Ohio State, nobody wants to see injuries.

Between this and Sasso, it's a character building year for the team. Not to be flip about it, just that sometimes in life you have to work to find a positive, and hope the guys do.

Messenbrink has a Zain freshman year vibe. He’s extremely good now and it feels like lights out from sophomore year on.
He’s been lights out so far against everyone he’s faced other than his backup who is also probably a top 12-15 the country. I’m excited to see how he does against Caliendo and Amine to judge how close he is to the big boys Carr & KOT, right now.

He’s been lights out so far against everyone he’s faced other than his backup who is also probably a top 12-15 the country. I’m excited to see how he does against Caliendo and Amine to judge how close he is to the big boys Carr & KOT, right now.
January will tell us a lot about where he stands nationally:
- 1/5 vs 12 Olguin
- 1/14 vs 9 Gilcher
- 1/19 vs 5 Amine
- 1/21 vs 10 Fish

Amine is a national semis-level opponent. The rest are quarters/R12 level.

Reactions: OzarkLion
Matt Ramos has entered the chat . . .
Nathan Tomasello has entered the chat . . .
Sebastian Rivera has entered the chat . . .
Nick Piccininni has entered the chat . . .
Ronnie Bresser has entered the chat . . .
2 ACLs have entered the chat . . .
how many titles did they all win??Spencer was better than any of them and better in freestyle but injuries count!

Sorry abput Kharchla. As much as we make fun of Ohio State, nobody wants to see injuries.

Between this and Sasso, it's a character building year for the team. Not to be flip about it, just that sometimes in life you have to work to find a positive, and hope the guys do.
Yup, I think most of us fans feel that way about the team. It is what it is.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Yup, I think most of us fans feel that way about the team. It is what it is.
I saw Rocco went at these duals. Is the plan to pull his shirt now? If Kharchla is planning to come back, it might make sense since he could RS next year instead.

I saw Rocco went at these duals. Is the plan to pull his shirt now? If Kharchla is planning to come back, it might make sense since he could RS next year instead.
Probably so. Agree with your point about shirting next year, with Kharchla being a junior. Also Welsh is the only other 174 on the roster.

If Kharchla decided (hypothetically) to not return next year, then I'd shirt Welsh and bump up one of the 165s. Load up for future years. Hoffman and Sasso are the only seniors on the roster.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Probably so. Agree with your point about shirting next year, with Kharchla being a junior. Also Welsh is the only other 174 on the roster.

If Kharchla decided (hypothetically) to not return next year, then I'd shirt Welsh and bump up one of the 165s. Load up for future years. Hoffman and Sasso are the only seniors on the roster.
Thats not how Tom woulda done it.

Reactions: lookleft goright
As an Iowa guy, I naturally want to find flaws in your young guns. MM is a HAMMER. He could very well make the finals this year IMO. He has the motor, attack rate, and obvious scrambling prowess to go with the big dogs. I have caught myself saying a few times how badly I'd like to watch I'm and KOT toe the line. MM is insanely fun to watch, Zainesque without a doubt. Barring major douchiness down the line, I won't be rooting against MM.

As an Iowa guy, I naturally want to find flaws in your young guns. MM is a HAMMER. He could very well make the finals this year IMO. He has the motor, attack rate, and obvious scrambling prowess to go with the big dogs. I have caught myself saying a few times how badly I'd like to watch I'm and KOT toe the line. MM is insanely fun to watch, Zainesque without a doubt. Barring major douchiness down the line, I won't be rooting against MM.
I feel similarly about Gabe. I love that he wants to go after Starocci and beat him instead of bumping up to an ostensibly easier class to win. Starocci is the best, and he believes he can beat the best and be the best himself. Despite two former champions in the draw at 174, I think Gabe is the biggest threat to Starocci’s fourth.

I feel similarly about Gabe. I love that he wants to go after Starocci and beat him instead of bumping up to an ostensibly easier class to win. Starocci is the best, and he believes he can beat the best and be the best himself. Despite two former champions in the draw at 174, I think Gabe is the biggest threat to Starocci’s fourth.
Arnold could very well be Carter’s biggest threat but that is where the similarities between him and MM end.
I can’t think of two more polar opposite wrestlers in the NCAA today.

Reactions: HikeNatParks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT