ADVERTISEMENT

Collegiate Duals

jmadden1998

Jan 26, 2017
Results so far

IOWA ST 21, PITT 14 SCORE/TIME IAST PITT CUM.
125 Terukina (IAST) DEC Camacho (PITT) 6-4 3 0 3-0
133 Frost (IAST) DEC Santaniello (PITT) 9-6 3 0 6-0
141 Echemendia (IAST) MAJ Matthews (PITT) 12-3 4 0 10-0
149 Solomon (PITT) DEC Redding (IAST) 8-4 0 3 10-3
157 Chittum (IAST) MAJ Keslar (PITT) 13-2 4 0 14-3
165 Carr (IAST) MAJ Heller (PITT) 9-1 4 0 18-3
174 Augustine (PITT) DEC Gaitan (IAST) 5-4 0 3 18-6
184 Heller (PITT) MAJ Feldkamp (IAST) 14-6 0 4 18-10
197 Stout (PITT) MAJ Udell (IAST) 10-2 0 4 18-14
285 Bastida (IAST) DEC Pitzer (PITT) 6-3 3 0 21-14

CORNELL 32, LITTLE ROCK 8 SCORE/TIME COR LR CUM.
125 Ungar (COR) DEC Reno (LR) 7-3 3 0 3-0
133 Arujau (COR) DEC Bailey (LR) 4-0 3 0 6-0
141 Cornella (COR) TF Vanhoecke (LR) 5:57 5 0 11-0
149 Fernandez (COR) DEC Dutton (LR) 14-13 3 0 14-0
157 Shapiro (COR) DEC Bianchi (LR) 8-1 3 0 17-0
165 Ramirez (COR) WBF Bailey (LR) 2:17 6 0 23-0
174 Brennan (LR) WBF Baker (COR) 4:31 0 5 23-5
184 Willis (LR) DEC Hansen (COR) 5-0 0 3 23-8
197 Cardenas (COR) WBF Little (LR) 5:12 6 0 29-8
285 Fernandes (COR) DEC Hill (LR) 5-0 3 0 32-8

Some interesting results…Echemendia majors Matthews and the bigger Heller majors Feldkamp. Plus, Vito only beats Bailey 4-0. Echemendia is tough. He’s going to beat a lot of good guys this year

Some interesting results…Echemendia majors Matthews and the bigger Heller majors Feldkamp. Plus, Vito only beats Bailey 4-0. Echemendia is tough. He’s going to beat a lot of good guys this year
Matthews proving once again you can’t wrestle effectively in college into your 30s. Echemendia is good, though.

Reactions: Ski
CORNELL 27, PITT 12 SCORE/TIME COR PITT CUM.
125 Camacho (PITT) DEC Ungar (COR) 3-1 0 3 0-3
133 Arujau (COR) TF Santaniello (PITT) 5:55 5 0 5-3
141 Cornella (COR) DEC Matthews (PITT) 8-2 3 0 8-3
149 Fernandez (COR) DEC Solomon (PITT) 4-1 3 0 11-3
157 Shapiro (COR) MAJ Evans (PITT) 14-3 4 0 15-3
165 Ramirez (COR) MAJ Heller (PITT) 11-1 4 0 19-3
174 Augustine (PITT) DEC Baker (COR) 5-1 0 3 19-6
184 Foca (COR) TF Heller (PITT) 4:40 5 0 24-6
197 Cardenas (COR) DEC Stout (PITT) 2-1 3 0 27-6
285 Pitzer (PITT) WBF Davis (COR) 4:40 0 6 27

OWA ST 31, LITTLE ROCK 9 SCORE/TIME IAST LR CUM.
125 Perryman (IAST) DEC Reno (LR) 10-9 3 0 3-0
133 Bailey (LR) TF Frost (IAST) 1:57 0 5 3-5
141 Echemendia (IAST) MAJ Vanhoecke (LR) 19-6 4 0 7-5
149 Redding (IAST) MAJ Dutton (LR) 9-1 4 0 11-5
157 Chittum (IAST) DEC Bianchi (LR) 10-6 3 0 14-5
165 Euton (IAST) DEC Bianchi (LR) 10-7 3 0 17-5
174 Gaitan (IAST) MAJ Canndey (LR) 15-4 4 0 21-5
184 Feldkamp (IAST) WBF Willis (LR) 3:21 6 0 27-5
197 Little (LR) MAJ Helgeson (IAST) 14-5 0 4 27-9
285 Bastida (IAST) MAJ Hill (LR) 14-4 4 0 31-9

Cornell vs Iowa St at 7pm eastern. Potential match ups

157 Chittum vs Shapiro
165 Carr vs Ramirez
184 Feldkamp vs Foca.

Matthews has had a strange year. Beat Mendez last week and then gets majored and then loses big to Cornella.

Thanks Cornell!!

You just wasted $5 of the $10 I paid! And fluff off rokfin you're a true waste of money. Your ONE announcer is terrible, i would rather hear Kermit the frog announce than you

Reactions: Houclone4
Thanks Cornell!!

You just wasted $5 of the $10 I paid! And fluff off rokfin you're a true waste of money. Your ONE announcer is terrible, i would rather hear Kermit the frog announce than you
I didn't pay the $10 because I was skeptical that the ISU-Cornell matchups would not materialize. I take it that Cornell probably sat Ramirez (pure duck for seeding purposes) and Shapiro?

I didn't pay the $10 because I was skeptical that the ISU-Cornell matchups would not materialize. I take it that Cornell probably sat Ramirez (pure duck for seeding purposes) and Shapiro?
You’d be correct. Cornell should be banned from any of these events moving forward. Last year against Ohio State and now this travesty. Wonder if the kids feel good that coach didn’t give them a chance to win the dual?

You’d be correct. Cornell should be banned from any of these events moving forward. Last year against Ohio State and now this travesty. Wonder if the kids feel good that coach didn’t give them a chance to win the dual?
Grey also sat Vito in 2 of the duals, and sat Fernandes against Pitzer.

Granted, neither of the 133s are a threat to Vito ... but Cornell fans chirping about Crookham possibly ducking Vito need to stop.

I've never been a Cornell hater, but this is really poor.

I am now pulling for Mitch to get the #8 seed to knock Ramirez' ass into consys in the quarters and have to face someone like Heller to medal, Amine if he gets by Heller, and then worst case he gets his ass kicked by the O'Toole-Carr loser in the consy-semis.

Total horesh*t duck after wrestling in the first two duals.

Hoping Levi draws Shapiro in the R16 or something as well - send em all to the backside as early as possible.

PITT 21, LITTLE ROCK 21 SCORE/TIME PITT LR CUM.
125 Camacho (PITT) MAJ Nelson (LR) 20-7 4 0 4-0
133 Bailey (LR) DEC Santaniello (PITT) 12-8 0 3 4-3
141 Vanhoecke (LR) DEC Matthews (PITT) 10-6 0 3 4-6
149 Solomon (PITT) DEF Dutton (LR) 2:03 6 0 10-6
157 Bianchi (LR) MAJ Keslar (PITT) 8-0 0 4 10-10
165 Abdon (LR) TF Mackay (PITT) 6:18 0 5 10-15
174 Augustine (PITT) DEC Brennan (LR) 3-1 3 0 13-15
184 Willis (LR) WBF Heller (PITT) 2:31 0 6 13-21
197 Stout (PITT) TF Mendoza (LR) 1:45 5 0 18-21
285 Pitzer (PITT) DEC Hill (LR) 5-0 3 0 21-21

IOWA ST 26, CORNELL 15 SCORE/TIME IAST COR CUM.
125 Diakomihalis (COR) WBF Terukina (IAST) 6:34 0 6 0-6
133 Frost (IAST) DEC Qureshi (COR) 12-5 3 0 3-6
141 Echemendia (IAST) MAJ Cornella (COR) 13-4 4 0 7-6
149 Redding (IAST) DEC Fernandez (COR) 5-1 3 0 10-6
157 Chittum (IAST) MAJ Handlovic (COR) 20-6 4 0 14-6
165 Carr (IAST) WBF Rogers (COR) 2:57 6 0 20-6
174 Gaitan (IAST) DEC Baker (COR) 10-7 3 0 23-6
184 Foca (COR) DEC Feldkamp (IAST) 8-7 0 3 23-9
197 Cardenas (COR) WBF Hagarty (IAST) 3:19 0 6 23-15
285 Bastida (IAST) DEC Fernandes (COR) 6-3 3 0 26-15

Grey also sat Vito in 2 of the duals, and sat Fernandes against Pitzer.

Granted, neither of the 133s are a threat to Vito ... but Cornell fans chirping about Crookham possibly ducking Vito need to stop.
Vito wrestled 2/3s of the duals...

After beating Bailey; he teched the Pitt kid...

I've never been a Cornell hater, but this is really poor.

I am now pulling for Mitch to get the #8 seed to knock Ramirez' ass into consys in the quarters and have to face someone like Heller to medal, Amine if he gets by Heller, and then worst case he gets his ass kicked by the O'Toole-Carr loser in the consy-semis.

Total horesh*t duck after wrestling in the first two duals.

Hoping Levi draws Shapiro in the R16 or something as well - send em all to the backside as early as possible.
Ramirez won’t be the one seed unless O’Toole takes a loss

Is there a forum on which you aren't complaining? Here's Mike Grey's email response so soon after the event. Believe him or not.

I have received quite a few messages regarding our Iowa State dual so I figured I would get right to it. We had starters get injured during our previous matches in the day. If we wrestled Iowa State first we would have had all our starters in. I’m not going to risk further injury and endanger my student-athletes for a dual in December. Good or bad in the eye of the public, my job is to protect my athletes and if they aren’t able to compete they will not. We have Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Missouri and NC State amongst others remaining on the schedule. I think we have the toughest schedule in the country and I expect to wrestle our best in each event. Injuries are part of the sport and they unfortunately aren’t predictable.

Reactions: baccafarmer
Is there a forum on which you aren't complaining? Here's Mike Grey's email response so soon after the event. Believe him or not.
I’ll complain as much as I want when I spend money on something. You think I care about Mike Greys bullshit excuse? I find it hard to believe Ramirez and Shapiro were too injured after theyd wrestle the other two. Bottom line, they ducked, thankfully they got their asses kicked and hopefully Journeyman never invites them back

Fernandes was too injured to face Pitzer but got healthy enough to face Bastida later in the same day?
limping ralph macchio GIF

Backup Davis is from Tennessee, so likely Grey wanted to get him a match. Who said Fernandes was injured?
Could've had him face Little Rock's HWT instead of getting (predictably) flattened by Pitzer in front of the home-state crowd.

If Fernandes weren't injured, then Grey planned to duck either Pitzer or Bastida, and chose to duck Pitzer.

IIRC when Bailey committed to UNC, his brother was at Campbell (1 hr away). Brother then transferred to Little Rock.
There are 3 Baileys and they all won the state tournament in the same year. One of them went to UNC, 1 to Campbell and the other is at Little Rock. IIRC

I don’t think we’re ever going to solve the “duck” problem—at least not with massive changes to the championship structure. Coaches are going to do what’s best for their athletes and team, full stop. And guys get hurt all the time. Ducking undoubtedly happens, but we rarely ever know the full story, and as fans, we won’t.

I don’t think we’re ever going to solve the “duck” problem—at least not with massive changes to the championship structure. Coaches are going to do what’s best for their athletes and team, full stop. And guys get hurt all the time. Ducking undoubtedly happens, but we rarely ever know the full story, and as fans, we won’t.
One idea.

"Rankings" are used solely to determine strength of opponent. Wrestlers come into the year ranked based upon past performance and other factors.

"Seeds" for conference and nationals finals are earned. Every wrestler starts the year unseeded, and must earn a seed solely through strength of wins and satisfying a minimum number of matches.

Match notes are required for each dual and tourney, and a missed match counts as a loss. Yes that includes injury, missed weight, whatever... The only free duck a wrestler gets is in a tourney if they have a MFF in a match they wrestle, but can not finish. The injury match counts as a loss, subsequent matches do not.

Problem partially solved? Maybe.

Reactions: onetime1
There are a lot of fans who, apparently, *do* know the full story, judging by their posts here and elsewhere.

I believe this is right, but it doesnt take away the frustration with the sport - and it’s hurting its growth. All coaches can throw out the “hurt” excuse at any time, and us “fans” arent supposed to clap back. But it happens waaaaayyyy too often, and individual seedings are waaaayyy too important.. Losing out on top matches, and lack of ANY prioritization of dual results is a major problem for future growth. ESPN isnt going to show the college duals if every nick or twinge can prevent the best matchups that fans want to see from happening. I dont have an answer for it, but it sure is frustrating.

Reactions: Ski and Grass
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT