ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD -- Penn State vs. Ohio State

Despite the portal

We need to win the portal next year.

Allar needs WRs. Probably needs at least 1 OL. Cornerback room will be BARE next year (did you see Miller, Tracy, Washington today?). DE will be missing some guys. Still need 1-T DTs because we couldn't rush up the midfield on those short throws.

They play better at home. The Michigan loss in 2016 was worse than this, and the second loss of the season, and they turned around and beat a better OSU team at home later. Not saying I’d bet on it but crazier things have happened. Team needs to not let this loss derail them like 2017 and 2018 did though.
Fair enough. College football can be crazy at times but Michigan appears to be a better team than OSU.

Reactions: psu00
Huh? You think your chances of winning a game down by 6 are the same as the chances of winning when down by 7? 2 points does a lot for you there, regardless who is coaching your team.
I don't see how anyone could think we would convert that 2 pt conversion. Maybe if we had a competent offense it would make sense, but we were 2 for 19 on 3rd and 4th downs up to that point and were already two flea flickers deep in the play book.

Franklin's offensive philosophy is to take care of the ball and not take any unnecessary chances, and yet almost EVERY game like this he makes these desperation-type calls and takes the game out of the hands of one of the best defense's in the country. Kind of like going for it on 4th down midway through the 4th on our own half. Of course, we were never going to score that 2nd td anyway, but if by some miracle we did then kicking the xp at least gives the defense a chance to win it in OT.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Now is the time of year when the chat board pivots to:

• "How far will we fall in the rankings?"
  • "What are the paths still available to the fourth pick?"
  • "Who is coming back next year and will get us to that next level?"
Fuq. Tired of the same patterns.
Nope I officially don't give a shit. All that does not matter. It's like we are in the movie groundhog day. I no longer have expectations for this team.

I don't see how anyone could think we would convert that 2 pt conversion. Maybe if we had a competent offense it would make sense, but we were 2 for 19 on 3rd and 4th downs up to that point and were already two flea flickers deep in the play book.

Franklin's offensive philosophy is to take care of the ball and not take any unnecessary chances, and yet almost EVERY game like this he makes these desperation-type calls and takes the game out of the hands of one of the best defense's in the country. Kind of like going for it on 4th down midway through the 4th on our own half. Of course, we were never going to score that 2nd td anyway, but if by some miracle we did then kicking the xp at least gives the defense a chance to win it in OT.
What would you think our chances were of converting that one? I mean, after a tough game, I could see a pessimistic view of thinking it’s 40%. Or are we assuming it was zero, and going results-based?

Or are we going to assume that this offense that you have zero confidence in doing anything will suddenly wake up in overtime and start moving the ball?

It is basic math…and even stronger math if you think we can’t score in OT

Reactions: lazydave841
At a wedding (listened to it while driving hours to wedding) and haven’t read thru the thread but going for it on 4th and 3 in your own territory in a 13-6 game with 7-8 mins to go when your defense is playing lights out made zero sense to me. Pin them deep. Maybe get a turnover or punt return and if not, give it another go then with the offense that has done nothing. But putting it all on the offense that had done nothing with the game still in doubt and plenty of time left was one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen (heard).

We need to win the portal next year.

Allar needs WRs. Probably needs at least 1 OL. Cornerback room will be BARE next year (did you see Miller, Tracy, Washington today?). DE will be missing some guys. Still need 1-T DTs because we couldn't rush up the midfield on those short throws.
I didn't believe we would see much of Miller, Tracy or Washington today. But it's been value added for 2024 that Diaz and Smith have gotten those 3 so much playing time before today. And they will likely play lots against the majority of the remaining schedule as well with the probability that King, Dixon and Hardy all will move on after this season.

Can always use help at any position if the right players are available. Losing both Isaac and Robinson at DE is a big blow to overcome. DDS will play like an AA in 2024 and Vanover seems up to starting in 2024 as well. We'll need Lyons to take the next step and Fisher to come back, along with help from the other two 2023 DE's to fill out the DE depth chart. Would also help if a player like Harvey could enroll early and be ready to contribute as a freshman. Vilbert reportedly is coming back and if he could show up like he did in his 3 sack bowl game that would be big.

Ford comes back at DT which should help. Artis hopefully takes a step forward. Only for sure lose Ellies and Beamon who might be addition by subtraction as he's gotten run over and pushed around for the most part this season. And LB will be loaded in 2024. Defense will be very very good in 2024 as long as Diaz comes back.

But if our passing game is not dramatically improved in 2024 we can expect to lose to oh-high-ya again next season.

Last edited:
What would you think our chances were of converting that one? I mean, after a tough game, I could see a pessimistic view of thinking it’s 40%. Or are we assuming it was zero, and going results-based?

Or are we going to assume that this offense that you have zero confidence in doing anything will suddenly wake up in overtime and start moving the ball?

It is basic math…and even stronger math if you think we can’t score in OT
In a vacuum I'd say it's the right call and they'd make it 50% of the time. Based on the offensive performance the entire rest of the game probably 25%. I mean, they called a wr pass off a reverse from the 3 (!) yard line and didn't make it so it clearly wasn't the correct decision.

Going for 2 puts the game in the hands of the offense, which was pretty putrid for the previous 59 1/2 minutes. Getting to overtime gives the defense, the best defense in the country, a chance to win it. Didn't matter anyway so I guess this is a pointless discussion.

Penn State needed their best players to step up after Indiana tied the game. They've answered the call. Drew Allar hits KeAndre Lambert-Smith for a 57-yard touchdown. Dani Dennis-Sutton strip sacks Brendan Sorsby and the ball goes out the back of the endzone. 33-24 PSU.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Also, on one of duhO$U's plays during their first possession, a duhO$U OL was pulling the runner forward from the front which is absolutely illegal and it was blatant (Offensive players can only push runner from behind) - no penalty called despite it being a blatantly obvious penalty.
You can't push the runner in college football ....I think you're thinking of the NFL rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT