ADVERTISEMENT

Football GAMEDAY THREAD -- Penn State vs. Ohio State

Every team now goes for 2 when down 14. It’s not just a dumb Franklin thing.
The only thing the announcers explained well was that going for 2 made sense. If they get it, they can win with another TD. If they don't, they can still tie with TD and 2-pt on the second TD. As they said, getting it offered more options. I guess it didn't hurt that much either way as we would have needed a 2 pt to win anyway and there's no way there was enough gas in the tank to go to OT

Reactions: Cowbell Man
You must have taken the same remedial math class as Franklin. PSU had 12. OSU had 20. An extra point is 1 point. Which makes PSUs score 13.

If by some miracle they recovered the on side kick, and if hell froze over they scored a TD, that makes 19. Another XP makes it a tie game going into OT at 20 a piece. There was no damn reason to go for a much lower percentage 2 points. None.
Sorry…I didn’t realize that getting a tie was better than winning. Math would tell you that your chances of winning the game are better by going for two (hence why you’re starting to see more and more coaches realize it and take the strategy that maximizes winning).

People also struggle with the math behind going for two when you score a TD after being down 15 in the 4th, but we’ll eventually get there.

Game turned on one play, sorry penalty. On top of that, the play calling was terrible. Third and one, run the damn ball. Later down by 7 with around 7 minutes to play you throw the ball on third and 3 and then go for it on 4th and 3 on your side of the field. If you have decided to go for it on 4th down run the ball twice. Even this offense can get 3 yards running the ball. This essentially ended the game as OSU pushed it to 14 points. Heck, at a minimum punt and hope the Defense can shut them down. Keep it a one score game.
PS. Somebody please tell the coaches that gadget plays don't usually work against good teams.

I think the most boneheaded calls were the slow runs and the WRs trying to pass. I mean if you want WRs to pass, just put Beau in.

Allar has no receivers plain and simple. They cannot get open or create separation. If they do find a way to get open I don't think he can hit them accurately. Another overrated PSU QB.

So what do you want to do? What’s the answer? How should all fans react to a loss? Oh no, the world is ending…we lost a game.
The world isn’t ending. It’s just a loss that really doesn’t shock many given the track record.

Fans can react however they want. If you think PSU is going to beat Michigan after watching that offensive performance today, I don’t know what to say.

Now is the time of year when the chat board pivots to:

• "How far will we fall in the rankings?"
  • "What are the paths still available to the fourth pick?"
  • "Who is coming back next year and will get us to that next level?"
Fuq. Tired of the same patterns.

The world isn’t ending. It’s just a loss that really doesn’t shock many given the track record.

Fans can react however they want. If you think PSU is going to beat Michigan after watching that offensive performance today, I don’t know what to say.
Neither of us know what’s going to happen in the Michigan game. We have a couple of games before that one. Why don’t you just watch two games a year since that’s all you and others seem to care about?

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
Neither of us know what’s going to happen in the Michigan game. We have a couple of games before that one. Why don’t you just watch two games a year since that’s all you and others seem to care about?
Why do you watch those 2 games if you're fine losing them?

Love what Abdul Carter just said on the piece FOX just did about the #11 at PSU - he realizes it's an honor to wear the # and he has to represent it well because "The first 1 stands for family and the second 1 stands for those who went before.". IOW, he didn't create the legacy, he's simply a representative and has an obligation to give his best effort honoring the legacy.
PSU "49 yards rushing" on 26 carries for a whopping 1.88 average. What did you argue with me about PSU's OL and running game???

I merely stated my opinion, which we found out was extremely accurate.

Now, come back with more sarcastic bull shit, but bring some stats to back up your insane opinions about this teams OL and running game! You loved to personally criticize, stating "that was last year" when Michigan ran us into the ground. Well, guess what, "nothing has changed this year."

Because every game is a unique event. Or should the Phillies not show up tonight because they lost last night?
That seems to be something many posters can’t grasp. Who knows what would have happened today if we would have been playing at home. We will be at home against Michigan. Every week is different.

Stop with the emotional attack nonsense. The team looked awful (at least the O did), and lost again to Ohio St. Could they play the game of their lives and beat Michigan? Anything’s possible in college football but, after what we all saw today, I wouldn’t bet on it.

Reactions: Westcoast24
Explain the math behind it bring a bad decision to go for two…I’ll wait, then I can explain why it’s a good decision.
common sense.....2 points does nothing fpr you there...its putting the cart before the horse. Plus with Franklins track record for bone headed play calls ypu know its not right

Not sure how I feel about Diaz’s performance today.

I guess at the end of the day keeping them to 20 points is a great result.

But he did allow the 1 guy that could beat them to beat them. Wish they would have doubled him up the entire game. Allowing him to convert that 3rd and 11 in the second quarter was a back breaker

I'm fine with that perspective. And you're probably right but when people are talking about how great our offense is they need to comprehend reasons behind the numbers. Playing Allar last year was necessary even if I understand why he didn't.

People said our offense was doing what it needed to in order to win. OSU defense improvement was enough to make up the ground between our offensive failures today. Hopefully lessons are learned, but Yurcich called a weak game, Allar is inaccurate on the road, our WRs do us no favors, and our RBs were underutilized and failed to make anything happen (if that makes sense).

Signs point to OSU just superior.

Unless Allar plays lights out vs Michigan, it wasn't necessary to play him next year. This team is what it is, currently. Tied for 3rd in the Big 10 East.

Reactions: royboy
It's not that we lost but how we lost and I think most of us agree Michigan is a better team
Plus, they may be cheating which would benefit them
This is an excellent opportunity for the coaching staff to rally the team to win out and see what can be achieved. Unfortunately, history tells us they aren’t capable of that, either. Let’s see Coach 4-15 earn his pay, for once.

Reactions: LandoComando
People said our offense was doing what it needed to in order to win. OSU defense improvement was enough to make up the ground between our offensive failures today. Hopefully lessons are learned, but Yurcich called a weak game, Allar is inaccurate on the road, our WRs do us no favors, and our RBs were underutilized and failed to make anything happen (if that makes sense).

Unless Allar plays lights out vs Michigan, it wasn't necessary to play him next year. This team is what it is, currently. Tied for 3rd in the Big 10 East.
Let's be clear--some people (maybe most) dismissed the lack of explosive plays and downfield throws because we were putting up points (largely in the second half) against bad teams. That's why people tried to make Iowa and WVU into better teams than they are. I don't doubt that Ohio State is just superior but the signs that today might go like this were there. I'm not saying I saw 0-15 on third downs but you can't rely on long sustained drives to beat teams like Ohio State. They'll stop you. Just like we'll stop teams.

Reactions: Cheeez17
The only thing the announcers explained well was that going for 2 made sense. If they get it, they can win with another TD. If they don't, they can still tie with TD and 2-pt on the second TD. As they said, getting it offered more options. I guess it didn't hurt that much either way as we would have needed a 2 pt to win anyway and there's no way there was enough gas in the tank to go to OT
They all are rationalizing a dumb decision. Be it by Franklin or others.

Get to 7 down and pick win or lose on the next TD. Miss it, 8 down and you stuck with one option.

Reactions: AvgUser
common sense.....2 points does nothing fpr you there...
Huh? You think your chances of winning a game down by 6 are the same as the chances of winning when down by 7? 2 points does a lot for you there, regardless who is coaching your team.

They all are rationalizing a dumb decision. Be it by Franklin or others.
Well they did keep saying that PSU needed to throw down the field more--but failed to acknowledge that 1) he had no time in the pocket and 2) he had no WRs open down there.

Well they did keep saying that PSU needed to throw down the field more--but failed to acknowledge that 1) he had no time in the pocket and 2) he had no WRs open down there.
Maybe we should have tried to establish that earlier this year against weak opponents to try to prevent Ohio State from committing to stopping the run and playing press coverage all day?

Hey I think I just saw MAZERATTI run by for another 1st down.

Holy f, that announcer with his MAZZZZZERRRRRAAAAATTTTTIIIIII boner.

Maybe we should have tried to establish that earlier this year against weak opponents to try to prevent Ohio State from committing to stopping the run and playing press coverage all day?
Don't disagree, but not sure the WRs have been open there either. JF used to love those long passes with S Cliff throwing them. In prior years, he used to blow up drives with them because they would ruin flow.

I'm fine with that perspective. And you're probably right but when people are talking about how great our offense is they need to comprehend reasons behind the numbers. Playing Allar last year was necessary even if I understand why he didn't.

People said our offense was doing what it needed to in order to win. OSU defense improvement was enough to make up the gap. Today, our offensive failures doomed us. You can do this vs most anyone save for top 10 teams. Hopefully lessons are learned, but Yurcich called a weak game, Allar is inaccurate on the road, our WRs do us no favors, and our RBs were underutilized and failed to make anything happen (if that makes sense).

PSU "49 yards rushing" on 26 carries for a whopping 1.88 average. What did you argue with me about PSU's OL and running game???

I merely stated my opinion, which we found out was extremely accurate.

Now, come back with more sarcastic bull shit, but bring some stats to back up your insane opinions about this teams OL and running game! You loved to personally criticize, stating "that was last year" when Michigan ran us into the ground. Well, guess what, "nothing has changed this year."
It was the refs fault they didn’t have more rushing yards you poser troll shizholian.

Reactions: AvgUser
It's not a quote but an appropriate Paternoism. You are never as bad as you think you are when you lose or as good as you think you are when you win.
The Lions offense looked really bad.

Reactions: GSPMax
This is PSU off a bye week basically. We see this all the time coming off a bye week.

Early game blues too. Just never prepared for the noon slot. This game got away when the offense lost all confidence to complete a pass. OSU could then snuff out the running game.

So disappointed with the game plan, if there even was a game plan. At times it looked like they had given up and decided on street ball. I feel like I wasted an afternoon.

We have seen what this kind of stuff does to a potentially good quarterback. They regress, start throwing off the back foot, start aiming the ball, rush, become gun-shy, etc. In the end a good QB gets to the point of being unable to hit the broad side of a barn. In reality it is a game plan that sets up the process of failure.

With all of the practice time available with byes and weak opponents I really thought there would be something special prepared on offense. But no. Same lack of preparation we have seen in the past when we knew the coaches were out recruiting instead of preparing for a critical upcoming game.

On the other hand, I would congratulate Coach Diaz and the defensive side of the ball. They tackled and covered better than I had expected. Heat on the OSU QB and his errant throws kept it from being a blow out. The defense showed up at the start of the game. There were times when I wanted to see some underneath coverage but that is nitpicking.

That said, I don't think this OSU offense is nearly as good as some in the past. Offensive line looks lacking. Without their starters in the backfield the OSU running game looked as slow as our running game.

This OSU team is unlikely to go the distance in my opinion. QB and OL are not what they've had in the past.

What to take from this game? Don't let your expectations and enthusiasm outpace reality. Despite the portal, PSU is still a 2nd tier team. Nothing has changed. Whether our HC is worth that massive contract remains debatable. To me it is not yet earned.

Reactions: psualt
Stop with the emotional attack nonsense. The team looked awful (at least the O did), and lost again to Ohio St. Could they play the game of their lives and beat Michigan? Anything’s possible in college football but, after what we all saw today, I wouldn’t bet on it.

They play better at home. The Michigan loss in 2016 was worse than this, and the second loss of the season, and they turned around and beat a better OSU team at home later. Not saying I’d bet on it but crazier things have happened. Team needs to not let this loss derail them like 2017 and 2018 did though.

Just a thought how are going to beat Michigan when we can’t beat OSU?

Home field. Offensive improvement now that the stress of beating OSU is gone. Repeat today's defensive performance. Michigan doesn't have a MHJ. Contain their offense.

The odds are low, but that is how.
Let's be clear--some people (maybe most) dismissed the lack of explosive plays and downfield throws because we were putting up points (largely in the second half) against bad teams.

And it was symptoms of a disease. Replacing Washington and Strange proved to be too much. Perhaps even Clifford, although he tended to become a turnover machine in these games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT