ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap - just saw a bombshell on Mineo’s feed

I'll wait for the official announcement on this one as well but

1) he has been injured and given his advanced age :) I think part of his decision to come back was driven by the whole team returning to defend. The Spencer announcement on top of his own health struggles may have proved the last straw.
2) not a happy new year for the Hawks by any stretch, my condolences - honestly. There is no happy place for injuries in a rivalry.
3) For all the grief Mineo gets he is at least 50%, and he could have been the first to market with both of these bomb shells.
I was gonna be tar and feathered b4 pat came to market on KemDog

There seems to be a lot of armchair medical opinions on this thread.
There are no studies that i know of that compare the need for acl reconstruction comparing wrestling with other sports in peer reviewed journals.
Not every person with a torn acl needs surgical reconstruction. Each knee is dependent on the acl to a different degree. As the demands put on the knee are greater, the likelihood of needing surgery is greater. Since wrestling is a sport with a lesser degree of cutting sideways, compared to football and basketball for instance, the need for acl reconstruction is lower. On the other hand, there are not many sports with another person putting torque on your knee, although this is usually when there isn't weight on the leg ( not standing on it while being torqued).
There is even variability between the knees of the same person, as appears to be the case with Spencer, although having both at once probably has an effect on the other knee. There is no way to predict who will and won't be acl dependent without trying the rehab protocols first. Generally in a person below the age of 25, reconstruction is usually recommended, all other things being equal. However, there are enough variables, that is can be a difficult dec
Based on current protocols, it would certainly be reasonable to be ready for next season, even if they do both knees. As long as there is not significant meniscus or articular cartilage damage, a good recovery should be expected.
I agree that if it was done after nationals last year, likely he would be good for this season, although there are no guarantees. It also would depend to some degree on the type of acl reconstruction as to the time frame for recovery.

It's one thing saying someone is out for a match or tourney, it's another saying he's out for the season. Ya better have some damn proof of that.

It's one thing saying someone is out for a match or tourney, it's another saying he's out for the season. Ya better have some damn proof of that.
Would be funny if he got set up with this info.....
He’s still going. Not a bombshell per se - more of a mortar shell - but something about an injury to N Brands
He just can't quit it. It's like watching a house burn. You shouldn't but it's just so captivating

Would be funny if he got set up with this info.....

He just can't quit it. It's like watching a house burn. You shouldn't but it's just so captivating
He is just going to deny he posted anything at all about Kemerer. Either that or he will blame the lame rumor mongering on BWI and HR. His post won't be something he posted.

Pat should quit playing in the far away minor league field of amateur wrestling, and step into the world of the Pros. Become a politician!

Reactions: creamery freak
I’m honestly surprised ole Pat has never taken something across the back of his skull when he’s walking to his car in the morning. Crazy how much slander and how many lies that cat spreads about ppls kids. The wrong dad or uncle prolly get to him one day.

Last edited:
There seems to be a lot of armchair medical opinions on this thread.
There are no studies that i know of that compare the need for acl reconstruction comparing wrestling with other sports in peer reviewed journals.
Not every person with a torn acl needs surgical reconstruction. Each knee is dependent on the acl to a different degree. As the demands put on the knee are greater, the likelihood of needing surgery is greater. Since wrestling is a sport with a lesser degree of cutting sideways, compared to football and basketball for instance, the need for acl reconstruction is lower. On the other hand, there are not many sports with another person putting torque on your knee, although this is usually when there isn't weight on the leg ( not standing on it while being torqued).
There is even variability between the knees of the same person, as appears to be the case with Spencer, although having both at once probably has an effect on the other knee. There is no way to predict who will and won't be acl dependent without trying the rehab protocols first. Generally in a person below the age of 25, reconstruction is usually recommended, all other things being equal. However, there are enough variables, that is can be a difficult dec
Based on current protocols, it would certainly be reasonable to be ready for next season, even if they do both knees. As long as there is not significant meniscus or articular cartilage damage, a good recovery should be expected.
I agree that if it was done after nationals last year, likely he would be good for this season, although there are no guarantees. It also would depend to some degree on the type of acl reconstruction as to the time frame for recovery.
Way to go Doc! Hope your travels are short. Appreciate your detailed knowledge.

He'd be crazy to risk another Olympic shot by returning to the Hawkeye lineup IMO. That is, assuming his knee(s) can actually be fixed. The fact he tried competing ACL-less two years out from the next Olympics makes me wonder.

someone pointed out on themat, in theory he could use regular redshirt in 2022-2023, then Olympic Redshirt in 2023-2024

Actually iowa still holds the edge.
125 Ayala, Hildebrandt...maybe plus 5?
133 Psu plus 5 again?
141 plus 3?
149 max plus 5 for Iowa?
157 iowa gains back to even
165 iowa plus 15
174 we need bonus
184 we need bonus
197 push
Hwt iowa plus 5.

We gotta get bonuses from our hammers to win...which, with the exceptions of 2019 and last year, we HAVE done...but we still gotta get them this year

• Haha
Reactions: bmw199
Actually iowa still holds the edge.
125 Ayala, Hildebrandt...maybe plus 5?
133 Psu plus 5 again?
141 plus 3?
149 max plus 5 for Iowa?
157 iowa gains back to even
165 iowa plus 15
174 we need bonus
184 we need bonus
197 push
Hwt iowa plus 5.

We gotta get bonuses from our hammers to win...which, with the exceptions of 2019 and last year, we HAVE done...but we still gotta get them this year
Alan Greenspan would call you irrationally exuberant about the outlook for Murin and Young particularly. AB is about a +18.

… Not every person with a torn acl needs surgical reconstruction …
But, on average, would you expect a person with two torn ACLs to tend to need surgery more than the same person with only one torn ACL? 🧐 :)

So several Insiders knew about Spencer obviously. They chose not to relay the information because they knew Spencer/Iowa was going to release a statement.

Mineo got wind of the news and found his nearest smart device to tell the world. He knowingly took that opportunity away from Spencer. Then Mineo tries to pull the rug out from under Kemerer in the same fashion. Thankfully grandpa Mike shut that down quickly.

How does Pat Mineo still continue to do this over and over to these guys with no repercussions? I'm baffled.

So several Insiders knew about Spencer obviously. They chose not to relay the information because they knew Spencer/Iowa was going to release a statement.

Mineo got wind of the news and found his nearest smart device to tell the world. He knowingly took that opportunity away from Spencer. Then Mineo tries to pull the rug out from under Kemerer in the same fashion. Thankfully grandpa Mike shut that down quickly.

How does Pat Mineo still continue to do this over and over to these guys with no repercussions? I'm baffled.
Not enough people care about his methods. Also, twitter is free. I agree, he's lame and I don't care for him.

each individual knee is different, but with two torn acls you would more likely need surgery than someone with one torn acl just as a function of math.
Thank you! I’m glad you’re willing to make some judgments according to criteria, and so human conversation is possible. (I had to ask in order to calibrate and understand where you’re coming from, because in some threads some people play dumb and demand a citation for any little thing (allegedly even 1+2=3). :) )

Knowingly took that opportunity away from Spencer, LOL. I'm with Earl here. This kind of news gets broken in major sports all the time but is sacrosanct in this one sport?

(I'm also with Earl that there's a responsibility to get it right, which happened with one story but not the other.)

Also this wasn't a HS commitment, the one announcement that an athlete works his entire life to make.

As Earl said this isn't about Mineo -- Earl had 3 staffers at Intermat working on confirming the story and would've broken it ahead of Iowa's statement too. Just like what happens in major sports.

The real issue is that either:
1. Somebody associated with Iowa and/or with Lee got diarrhea of the mouth, or
2. Somebody deliberately leaked it for God knows what reason.

We can complain about Mineo but what exactly is the point? By now his MO is hardly a mystery. Whoever told him knew exactly what he would do with the info.

Last edited:
BTW, this is also known as sports journalism.

The worst kept secret in the NFL is that certain agents and GMs have famous reporters (cough cough Adam Schefter) in their back pocket, and deliberately leak "rumors" knowing they'll be passed along uncritically, in order to gain some leverage against the other side, or because they want their version of the news out first.

Peter Gammons was similarly known to be Billy Beane's unofficial press secretary, especially near the MLB trade deadline.

Nobody checks Schefter's or Gammons' accuracy because at this point they're famous for being famous.

Mineo is frankly no different from them. It all starts with someone dishing to him.

We can wish it were different, but it's not.

The day's high dramas are all bleeding together now.

I wish wrestling media was more boring, tbh.
Checks out- Willie always says to wait to break news and let kids/schools have their opportunity. That said, I don’t recall Willie calling out Mineo for what he does. The two seem to bond over their Flo bashing. Maybe that’s how Mineo won Willie over.

i find it pretty humorous that i tweeted 'big news' and mineo followed up with specifics so that = i told mineo

and yet i've posted on every board that i don't buy the Kem rumor and then mineo got it wrong.

make up your minds.

i do talk to mineo on occasion, but i certainly didn't feed him the spencer thing.

Last time I checked this forum is made up of fans and want to be journalist. The idea that someone posted some "inside" information and maybe it was inaccurate shouldn't be treated like like a Pulitzer Prize winner fabricating a story. It's a Wrestling Forum, not the Wall Street Journal. As far as Smalls being connected into the chain of the post, I know for certain he will on occasion have conversation with friends and wrestling fans about things that he is not comfortable about posting as news. This Forum is far better when staying out of the drama of the people that post.
I'm personally more intrigued by how Hildabrant does against Ayala.??

i find it pretty humorous that i tweeted 'big news' and mineo followed up with specifics so that = i told mineo

and yet i've posted on every board that i don't buy the Kem rumor and then mineo got it wrong.

make up your minds.

i do talk to mineo on occasion, but i certainly didn't feed him the spencer thing.

I do have one question. Wth happened between you and Corby?

someone pointed out on themat, in theory he could use regular redshirt in 2022-2023
I believe someone on themat to be mistaken.

Spencer Lee lost his regular redshirt by wrestling at Journeyman Collegiate Duals. He'd need a medical redshirt for this year to regain eligibility. I understand only after that, might he be able use an Olympic redshirt.

make up your minds.

That’s quite a revelation, Willie. Why do you talk to “a special kind of scumbag” like Mineo at all when (your words) the vast majority of your sources are the college coaches themselves? At a minimum, your admission seems like a conflict of interest, one of those “Never bite the hand that feeds you” type of situations.

PS Is it true that Mineo once Doxed you?

Last edited:
it would be a conflict of interest, i suppose, if i told someone information i wasn't supposed to. but when did i do that? enlighten me.

let him (one of his two handles on here) answer that.

it's sort of bizarre to me that no one has asked him yet.

i'll save my (lengthy) explanation for the show.
This may be a show explanation conversation, but what actually happened to his eyes? What equipment caused it? And did it affect your eyes too?

Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT