ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap - just saw a bombshell on Mineo’s feed

where is this info coming from?

i'm not trying to suggest i know everything. far from it. and i'm not saying you're wrong. but i've seen/heard nothing from legit sources.
This one came from the scuffle.. A guy in a Hawkeye shirt.

Yes I know the guy.

This truly sucks! People might not like the Hawkeyes but I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like Spencer. As a fan of wrestling I love watching him and couldn’t wait to see him and Suriano. The one bright spot for Iowa is that Ayala looks like an AA right now. Definitely a downgrade but should still score some points at nationals at 125

I’m sorry for Iowa and Spencer. Hope he heals right and can go out on top as the all timer he is. Ayala looks super tough, but this is a blow to the team aspirstions. I would have much preferred we beat them at full strength.

It always seemed a bit risky to wrestle with two torn ACLs, but surgery would have made a lot more sense right after NCAAs last season. I wonder what led to the decision to have it done now? This also raises the question as to wether we ever see Spencer wrestle in college again?

What’s the source on Kemerer? I’ve only seen rumors about this, no confirmation. By all accounts, both S Lee and Kemerer are really good guys. Wish them both speedy and full recoveries.
After of today, Kemerer isn't done for the season I heard

Makes you wonder if Spencer decides to do both ACLs. Speculation is one is much better than the other. Returning from one let alone dual ACl surgeries is no joke. It certainly isn't a given he will be back to near 100% next November. The kid is a warrior and a legend at 125. I am glad to have enjoyed watching him, but you have to wonder if this could be the end of his collegiate career.

Reactions: Gumby79
It always seemed a bit risky to wrestle with two torn ACLs, but surgery would have made a lot more sense right after NCAAs last season. I wonder what led to the decision to have it done now? This also raises the question as to wether we ever see Spencer wrestle in college again?
No OTTs
No World Team
No 2022 season
No intact ACLs

Tom & Terry mismanaged Spencer.

If Spencer really wants to wrestle NCAAs again, he should just train and rehab until 2023 Big 10s. Qualify and MFORT out. Then wrestle NCAAs and be done with folkstyle forever.

Reactions: GogglesPaizano
Doesn't take an insider to figure out what happened here. Spencer wanted to finish his career with Kemerer, Marinelli, Young, Eierman, ADS and another team title. Getting surgery would have made it impossible, especially on two knees (one previously torn) He previously successfully rehabbed a torn ACL and looked great and figured he could do it again. It didn't work (I always thought 2 ACLs made it more complicated but I'm not a doctor) and he has to cut bait now because he knows the season won't end well if he keeps trying to go.

Doesn't take an insider to figure out what happened here. Spencer wanted to finish his career with Kemerer, Marinelli, Young, Eierman, ADS and another team title. Getting surgery would have made it impossible, especially on two knees (one previously torn) He previously successfully rehabbed a torn ACL and looked great and figured he could do it again. It didn't work (I always thought 2 ACLs made it more complicated but I'm not a doctor) and he has to cut bait now because he knows the season won't end well if he keeps trying to go.
Given Spencer is out, will others potentially succumb to the grind and lose that focus? In particular, No Kem yet (despite my source saying pump the brakes on him being out) and Caleb Young having trouble staying off his back.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
What’s the source on Kemerer? I’ve only seen rumors about this, no confirmation. By all accounts, both S Lee and Kemerer are really good guys. Wish them both speedy and full recoveries.

November%20Bulletin%20Cover.imgcache.rev1478185463334.png

FWIW ...He gives an explanation in his own words as to why they waited and thought it would be ok.
hindsight is 20/20, but the reasoning makes sense. he was almost totally unaffected by the single tear. the best wrestling he did in that time span was without a brace. he probably had a lot of confidence he could get through the year the same way without surgery. i think he also wanted to move on to freestyle, his preferred style. it didn't work out.

Ahh come on. With the positive experience post injury in his first knee, coupled with the full team returning from a national championship, it was pretty much a no brainer to take a shot at wrestling this year without surgery.

If he had surgery last spring he may not have been able to make it back for this year anyway.

It is very unfortunate that there are no guarantees for next year and we might even see him return in 23/24 or move on without a shot at 4x. Let's hope with the extra 2 months he comes back strong next year and gives it a go.

I think we should all trust that between his coaches, doctors, family and his own desires he made the appropriate decision; however, just like many things in life, it just didn't work out.

hindsight is 20/20, but the reasoning makes sense. he was almost totally unaffected by the single tear. the best wrestling he did in that time span was without a brace. he probably had a lot of confidence he could get through the year the same way without surgery. i think he also wanted to move on to freestyle, his preferred style. it didn't work out.
Wait, you don't think he's coming back for #4?

... With the positive experience post injury in his first knee, …, it was pretty much a no brainer to take a shot at wrestling this year without surgery …
On the other hand, just because your good leg can compensate for your bad leg, does that really mean that your bad leg can therefore compensate for your newly-bad leg? :) Seems like a brainer or Hail Mary, not a no brainer!

He'd be crazy to risk another Olympic shot by returning to the Hawkeye lineup IMO. That is, assuming his knee(s) can actually be fixed. The fact he tried competing ACL-less two years out from the next Olympics makes me wonder.

FWIW ...He gives an explanation in his own words as to why they waited and thought it would be ok.
I believe it is likely TnT deferred to Spencer to make his own decision. However, I always thought it was absolutely crazy for him not to get the surgery immediately after the season. IMO, someone in Spencer's decision making circle needed to step in and really lean on Spencer to get the surgery for his own good. Given Spencer's competitive nature (excuses are for wussies), everyone knew what Spencer's decision would be if the decision was left to him. Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 but I think it is clear that TnT mismanaged this situation.

Hopefully Spencer can make a full recovery.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Pat just dropped another bomb. Stating that Kemerer is also done for the year.

I'll wait for the official announcement on this one as well but

1) he has been injured and given his advanced age :) I think part of his decision to come back was driven by the whole team returning to defend. The Spencer announcement on top of his own health struggles may have proved the last straw.
2) not a happy new year for the Hawks by any stretch, my condolences - honestly. There is no happy place for injuries in a rivalry.
3) For all the grief Mineo gets he is at least 50%, and he could have been the first to market with both of these bomb shells.

Pretty elaborate way to duck Suriano 😉 I hope he has a speedy recovery and i do hope we have not seen the last of this champion on and off the mat.

ADVERTISEMENT