ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: PSU - Maryland

And if it wouldn't have worked he and Franklin would have gotten grilled on here for running with 20 seconds left.
Absolutely. That's one of those calls where if it works you're a genius but if it doesn't CJF would get hammered for it postgame.

The OL play is reason why run game is been on point. They are actually opening up holes and pushing defenders. It's nice not watching them get push 10 yards deep

I hate to say it, but after watching MD's end of the half TD, #2 was there for the tackle. He came in unblocked and could have stuck the QB for little no gain. Instead it looked like he wanted no part of making the tackle.

Reactions: psu00
wtf call was that!!? Run to Barclay on 2nd down with 23 seconds?!?!
Agree that was a bad call. I thought the TD run was also a bad call but Maryland's defense was worse. They only had 1 defender in the middle of the field and he charged into the backfield leaving a lot of real estate open. If he stays back and gives up a 7 yard run that would have been a win for Maryland. It all worked out but if Barkley gets stopped they would have had to use a TO and only have 15 seconds to get into FG range. JMO. It worked so that's all that counts.

I hate to say it, but after watching MD's end of the half TD, #2 was there for the tackle. He came in unblocked and could have stuck the QB for little no gain. Instead it looked like he wanted no part of making the tackle.

Yep, came in low and got about one finger on him.....huge whiff!

If he was a good tackler he would have had over 30 tackles last week!

Best first half this year. Blocked punt and screen pass sucked, but defense is not getting gashed consistently.

Nice Block by Gaia on the TD run

Don't think it was a block. Tackle just tried to get the jump to the left thinking pass rush and Barkley went the other way. It's a good thing it was a run since McSorely probably would have been sacked. Generally I've been happy with the offense, but it hasn't been anything that Gaia has done. Replay in slow motion and isolate on him and you'll see what I mean. If he doesn't get physically dominated he makes a mental error. Everyone has a bad play now and then, but his are just way too frequent. Really concerned about the second half now with Palmer, the young guys, and unfortunately, Gaia.

Credit this half to McSorely, Barkley, Gesicki's receiving, and Moorehead.

Agree that was a bad call. I thought the TD run was also a bad call but Maryland's defense was worse. They only had 1 defender in the middle of the field and he charged into the backfield leaving a lot of real estate open. If he stays back and gives up a 7 yard run that would have been a win for Maryland. It all worked out but if Barkley gets stopped they would have had to use a TO and only have 15 seconds to get into FG range. JMO. It worked so that's all that counts.

Sometimes plays work because you call what you shouldn't at the time. It's a risk but sometimes the risk pays off. Which is why Monday morning QB's are always right.

That last TD was obviously huge to regain momentum, especially since Maryland gets the ball to start the second half.

Halftime stats

Total yards: PSU 293, MD 156
First Downs: PSU 16, MD 6
Possession: PSU 19:10, MD 10:50
Turnovers: MD 2, PSU 0

Somehow we ought to be winning this game by more than 10 pts.

BTN just went out here in Columbus. Maybe getting too close to OSU game time so they don't want to distract the Buckeye fans?

What happened on Gilikin's last punt? I'm not talking about the hit on Likely, I'm wondering about the punt. Very short. Was he pressured again?

And what if a pass is picked off? All play work or fail depending on execution.

Landmark security at beaver stadium shown screaming at penn state fans not to yell at the ejected md player.

Obviously coaches are encouraging their players to cheap shot JJ. Two games in a row now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT