ADVERTISEMENT

Day 2 National Duals Results and Discussion

Unfortunately, with the direction the seeding committee has gone, it makes sense for ASU to sit Schultz. I don't agree with it at all, but they're playing the system. If Schultz loses to Kerk, he's probably the 4-5 seed. Now, Schultz most likely goes undefeated and gets the 2. If the seeding wasn't so jacked up, I am thinking Cael may have called the match with Kerk's nose split open, but that would be a loss.

And also unfortunately, I agree with you. Btw, what's your lotto number picks this week?

Big night for both negron and edsell they both show a lot of guys and Moxy out there for to love the fight in them. We need a 125 pounder and we got ourselves a great team. I like our chances with the best coach alive

Just a guess, I'm thinking that Coleman caught a piece of Carter's face with his finger nails.
I think he was just pissed about his match last night. Sounded like he was extremely mad after his match and people were commenting about how he was going to dominate today

Reactions: diggerpup
I think he was just pissed about his match last night. Sounded like he was extremely mad after his match and people were commenting about how he was going to dominate today
He didnt start the match with the brutality he finished it with. He stared the guy down after handshake, trust me he did (or said) something to Carter sometime in 3rd.
If that happened in the 1st pd instead of 3rd it woulda been ugly.

Im not sure what happened in Carter's match, but I like pissed off Carter!!!
Watched Carter a good deal in high school. When he gets pissed, it is a completely different Carter. Sometimes it borders on giving up a point for unnecessary roughness. He gets super physical, picks up his pace, and is relentless everywhere. The problem with coming out like that is gas tank. Usually when guys go out all pisssed off, at some point you get the adrenaline dump, and your wind is gone. However, if Cael or Casey could punch Carter about half way through every match, he would be my number one pick to win nationals.

I don't think it's necessary for Facundo to make the podium in order to score more than Edsell at NCAAs. Every single point will count.
You are correct. However, there's two things that go against Facundo wrestling this year. 1. Edsell is not wrestling terrible. He's been in every match he's wrestled, and if you can keep matches close, you have a shot. I know that goes against the PSU way of scoring points, but it is what it is. 2. 165 is incredibly deep this year. I myself would not want to burn Facundo's redshirt for the chance he'll score more points. I don't believe he's wrestled at all this year so that may be the coaches thoughts as well. Rumors are he'll be at the scuffle. If he goes out there and wins it, then they'll have a serious conversation. But Casey said as of now, the plan is to redshirt him

Remember, Cael isn't just thinking of what's best for individuals and the team this year. He needs to be, and is, thinking years down the road.

I think Cael mentioned at one time that the only way they'll wrestle someone as a true freshman is out of necessity, or they have a chance to win nationals. I don't think either of those are the case for Facundo.

Heck of a dual by the men of Penn State.

125… a clearly outmatched and unranked Campbell only gives up a major to the #3 wrestler

133… good win over #14

141… dominant win over a highly touted freshman ranked #15

149… BB beats #5!!!

157… a guy we had never heard of until a few weeks ago hangs with the #3 wrestler, dropping an 8-3 decision

165… hangs tough with #6 that might be better than his ranking, also dropping only a decision

174… TF

184 Fall

197 Major with three stalls over #8

HWT… dominant major while bleeding out

That was as well as I’ve seen a PSU team wrestle this early in the season.

Did I just see the Iowa team walk off without shaking hands after heavyweight? Not a good look if that what happened.
Yep …they walked straight into the tunnel and never made any effort to shake hands … Iowa being Iowa … follow the example of their ‘leaders’

Reactions: goldenanimal
Soak it in and enjoy. Long wait until we see a few select guys at the Scuffle (Jan. 1 and 2)

Next duals: Jan. 7 (MD) and Jan. 9 (Indiana).

Time to get healthy. Get in shape. And prepare for the heart of the B!G schedule, especially Michigan (Jan. 21), Iowa (Jan. 28), Ohio State (Feb. 4), and Nebraska (Feb. 6)

6 guys in the ranks of the top 4.

And Bartlett should move up with the win tonight. I'm guessing to maybe something in the #14-16 range. Just a guess though.

Third-place matches

No. 10 Missouri, 26, No. 17 Lehigh, 9

125 | (15) Noah Surtin def. (11) Jaret Lane by 10-4 decision

133 | Connor Brown over Sheldon Seymour by 7-4 decision

141 | (14) Allan Hart over Connor McGonagle by 8-3 decision

149 | (18) Josh Edmond over (30) Manzona Bryant by 6-4 SV-1

157 | (10) Josh Humphreys over (15) Jarrett Jacques by fall (3:31)

165 | (3) Keegan O’Toole over (27) Brian Meyer by 13-5 major decision

174 | (14) Peyton Mocco over Jake Logan by 6-4 decision

184 | (11) Jeremiah Kent over AJ Burkhart by 6-2 decision

197 | (4) Rocky Elam over JT Davis by 12-3 major decision

285 | (8) Jordan Wood over (16) Zach Elam by 2-1 decision

#11 Cornell 18, #8 Virginia Tech 15

125: #5 (133) Vito Arujau (C) won by major decision over #16 Sam Latona (VT), 10-2

133: #4 Korbin Myers (VT) won by decision over Dom LaJoie (C), 9-3

141: Collin Gerardi (VT) won by decision over Cole Handlovic (C), 6-0

149: #1 Yianni Diakomihalis (C) won by technical fall over Kylan Montgomery (VT), 19-3

157: #22 Connor Brady (VT) won by decision over #25 Colton Yapoujian (C), 2-1

165: #9 Julian Ramirez (C) won by decision over Clayton Ulrey (VT), 4-2

174: #4 Mekhi Lewis (VT) won by decision over #12 Chris Foca (C), 3-1 (ot1)

184: #15 Jonathan Loew (C) won by decision over #9 Hunter Bolen (VT), 7-5 (sv1)

197: #19 Jacob Cardenas (C) won by decision over Harrison Smith (VT), 3-2

285: #14 Nathan Traxler (VT) won by decision over #18 Lewis Fernandes (C), 5-3

Fifth-place matches

#22 UNI over Hofstra, 33-9

125 | Jacob Moon (Hofstra) wins by forfeit

133 | #31 Kyle Biscoglia (UNI) pinned Dylan Acevedo-Switzer (Hofstra) 2:00 F

141 | #27 Cael Happel (UNI) dec. Justin Hoyle (Hofstra) 10-4

149 | Colin Realbuto (UNI) pinned Michael Leandrou (Hofstra) 4:56 F

157 | Cayd Lara (UNI) pinned Joe McGinty (Hofstra) 3:35 F

165 | #23 Austin Yant (UNI) dec. Ricky Stamm (Hofstra) 6-0

174 | Pat Schoenfelder (UNI) dec. Ross McFarland (Hofstra) 6-2

184 | #4 Parker Keckeisen (UNI) dec. #25 Charles Small (Hofstra) 10-3

197 | #26 Trey Rogers (Hofstra) dec. Noah Glaser (UNI) 5-3

285 | Tyrell Gordon (UNI) dec. #20 Zachary Knighton-Ward (Hofstra) 4-2

Central Michigan 26, Binghamton 16

125 | Brock Bergelin (CMU) TF Nick Curley (BU), 16-0, 4:45. CMU leads 5-0

133 | Binghamton forfeits bout vs. Ja'Kerrion Merrit (CMU). CMU leads 11-0

141 | No. 7 Dresden Simon (CMU) DEC Ryan Anderson (BU), 5-2. CMU leads 14-0

149 | Corbyn Munson (CMU) DEC Nick Lombard (BU), 6-5. CMU leads 17-0

157 | No. 19 Johnny Lovett (CMU) FALL Tyler Martin (BU), 3:52. CMU leads 23-0

165 | Brevin Cassella (BU) MD Tracy Hubbard (CMU), 10-1. CMU leads 23-4

174 | Brett Fedewa (CMU) DEC Jacob Nolan (BU), 2-1. CMU leads 26-4

184 | Cory Day (BU) MD Ben Cushman (CMU), 14-4. CMU leads 26-8

197 | No. 12 Lou DePrez (BU) DEC Aaron Bolo (CMU), 8-4. CMU leads 26-11

285 | No. 22 Joe Doyle (BU) TF Cade Dallwitz (CMU), 18-0. CMU wins 26-16

Reactions: Reslo
My thoughts back at hotel in Niceville. Yes Iowa walked off without shaking NC States hands. NCS wrestlers were pissed about it too. Then announcer said let's hear it for 2nd place NC State and whole team walked across gym floor and fans cheered. Then he said let's here it for champions Iowa. Marinelli was in corner grabbed the trophy and walked off out of sight. The Iowa fans so wanted to clap for them but none came out.

Eirman(spelling) was pinned then moved a little and was pinned again. Ref was right there. It happened right in from of me. Iowa fans didn't disagree.

Really impressed how they did tonight compared to yesterday. They were ready.

Lastly I made my way over to my high school football teammate Jeff Byers. Got to chat couple min.

Tonight's win shows, in part, why Bartlett has wrestled the way he has at 149. He may be able to open up a bit more, but in doing so he risks getting himself out of position and needing to chase matches more often. Unless he's facing Yianni or the elite of the elite at 149, his fundamentals and positioning and mat IQ are going to keep him in matches and the more one-exchange matches he's in this year, the more chances he'll have to win them. Have to imagine this will all serve him well down the line when he's in even bigger matches at 141.

Watched Carter a good deal in high school. When he gets pissed, it is a completely different Carter. Sometimes it borders on giving up a point for unnecessary roughness. He gets super physical, picks up his pace, and is relentless everywhere. The problem with coming out like that is gas tank. Usually when guys go out all pisssed off, at some point you get the adrenaline dump, and your wind is gone. However, if Cael or Casey could punch Carter about half way through every match, he would be my number one pick to win nationals.

You are correct. However, there's two things that go against Facundo wrestling this year. 1. Edsell is not wrestling terrible. He's been in every match he's wrestled, and if you can keep matches close, you have a shot. I know that goes against the PSU way of scoring points, but it is what it is. 2. 165 is incredibly deep this year. I myself would not want to burn Facundo's redshirt for the chance he'll score more points. I don't believe he's wrestled at all this year so that may be the coaches thoughts as well. Rumors are he'll be at the scuffle. If he goes out there and wins it, then they'll have a serious conversation. But Casey said as of now, the plan is to redshirt him

Remember, Cael isn't just thinking of what's best for individuals and the team this year. He needs to be, and is, thinking years down the road.

I think Cael mentioned at one time that the only way they'll wrestle someone as a true freshman is out of necessity, or they have a chance to win nationals. I don't think either of those are the case for Facundo.
The plan is often to redshirt true freshman at this time of year, but as we’ve seen before, plans do and have changed. We’ll see what happens. We certainly looked like the better team than Iowa tonight. Facundo can always redshirt next season when Iowa loses a ton of guys and tOSU’s young recruits will still need some seasoning.

Reactions: zzs006 and Verolion

Regarding 165:

Edsell is likely capped at 2-2 with no bonus at nationals --> 2.0 pts max.

Geno Morelli was better than that -- returning NQ, 10-1 with 4 pins -- when Mark Hall's shirt got pulled.

I doubt Facundo is as good now as Hall was then. But I don't think he needs to win the Scuffle either. That's an insane field -- Griffith, O'Toole, Wittlake, Ramirez, and about various dozen other ranked wrestlers. 3rd with some bonus might be enough.

But it's gotta be something like that. Agreed that you don't pull his shirt for 1 or 2 pts. He's gotta be a legit podium threat with some bonus potential.

BTW, Facundo is 6-1 this year with 3 majors and 2 pins (all at the Clarion Open.)

The loss was to Maryland's starter in TB-1 because he didn't know the new rideout rule and had no coaches in his corner.

He looked like a PSU wrestler in the wins -- he turned up the pace once he saw bonus points in reach, and he kept scoring after reaching a major. A lot to like there, just need to see it vs better opponents.

I just got home and didn't see the Lewis match. I would guess though that it has more to do with him getting off bottom rather than him making mistakes. Maybe he thought he was good enough to get riding time and

Neither ever even attempted a shot. The decision by FOCA to chose top in overtime was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. Lewis escaped in the second period in like 5 seconds. It took him less than that in OT. It was inexplicably. It was Foca’s choice. Just defer and Lewis choses down you get top anyway and then still have choice in third. I really don’t know what the thinking was.

Andonian didn't wrestle yesterday either.
If it sends message that sitting out of a scheduled dual will be treated as a loss, I’m cool with giving him losses here too.
The alternative is we sit here and just learn to live with what Schultz did tonight.

I don't think it's necessary for Facundo to make the podium in order to score more than Edsell at NCAAs. Every single point will count.
But if Facundo reaches say the R16 this season and scores say 2 points at NCAAs then he loses a year of eligibility that he could use his senior or redshirt senior season where he possibly is a National Champion scoring 24+ points. And as of right now 2 extra points won't put us over the top against Iowa at NCAAs. Now if Facundo wins the Scuffle against a strong or decent field that changes things.

BTW, Facundo is 6-1 this year with 3 majors and 2 pins (all at the Clarion Open.)

The loss was to Maryland's starter in TB-1 because he didn't know the new rideout rule and had no coaches in his corner.

He looked like a PSU wrestler in the wins -- he turned up the pace once he saw bonus points in reach, and he kept scoring after reaching a major. A lot to like there, just need to see it vs better opponents.
My apologies, completely forgot about him at the Clarion Open.

Touché on the Morelli and Hall situation. However, as I previously stated, I think the only way a true freshman goes is out of necessity or a title threat. Hall proved he was indeed a threat. I don’t think Facundo is a threat at this point.

Schultz just disqualified himself from 2 or 3 seed in March.
Yeah, I was all ready to diss those on this board who accuse other teams of ducking if we held Kerk out. Then Kerk comes out and Schultz does not and Kerk finishes and wins the match in spite of a nasty nose bleed.

Reactions: Cali_Nitt
Tonight's win shows, in part, why Bartlett has wrestled the way he has at 149. He may be able to open up a bit more, but in doing so he risks getting himself out of position and needing to chase matches more often. Unless he's facing Yianni or the elite of the elite at 149, his fundamentals and positioning and mat IQ are going to keep him in matches and the more one-exchange matches he's in this year, the more chances he'll have to win them. Have to imagine this will all serve him well down the line when he's in even bigger matches at 141.
This is not the Penn State way. He was an absolute stud recruit with a fantastic pedigree. I can guarantee you, Cael & Co. does not want him squeaking out matches. They would much rather see him lose tonight and take 2-3 more shots against a great opponent. Not taking a thing away from him, but this is not the attitude and never will be while these guys are running the show for what you are projecting. If you listen to Nolf about the kids in the room right now, he talks about a change in mentality needed. That mentality is coming with confidence boosting wins like tonight, but the attitude of past groups was I know I can compete with Yianni, I’m grateful for the opportunity to show what I can do against him and I will go back in the room and work on things. Beau did a great interview, but that’s not what he projected tonight. Again this kid will be wonderful and great things to come, but it’s amazing the difference of Zain/Nolf mentality as young wrestlers to Beau.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT