ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Tournament Wrestling today

Thanks. Gonna be a lot of surprised/unhappy people on the @KeepStanfordWRE Twitter feed.
They shouldn't be. Not like this was announced over the weekend. Plenty of time to get Woods more matches (if he was healthy).

Or, he could've won the finals against a guy he twice majored last year. That would've gotten him in too.

wonder why Flo isn't providing any West Coast updates? Feel bad for those wrestlers but makes me despise the school all the more. Makes you wonder how a Div2 or 3 school can support a wrestling pgm but a Div1 school refuses to. (no reply necessary, has been discussed before, just had to get it off of my chest)
Fixed it

Reactions: a_mshaffer
Valencia beat Griffith 7-1 (Griffith made a mistake countering a whizzer and got flipped to his back for 6). That's gonna throw a wrecnch into 165.

Also, Schultz won P12 HWT and is unbeaten with wins over Traxler, Gremmel, Isley, and Andrews. That will probably get him a top 5 seed at nationals.

Are you guessing or is this a rule? I hope you’re correct by the way.

IMO I wish they just had it where there were no minimums and if you steal a spot it’s yours.

As far as Woods, he knew the rules, didn’t do what he had to to get in. Took a chance not wrestling all year and lost. If they allow him to wrestle extra matches after the conference tourney to meet the “4” minimum it’s just as bad as Dressers last chance last year

Reactions: Fatmarc and ccdiver
They shouldn't be. Not like this was announced over the weekend. Plenty of time to get Woods more matches (if he was healthy).

Or, he could've won the finals against a guy he twice majored last year. That would've gotten him in too.

I meant because of stuff like this...

Reactions: Fatmarc
Not sure if Woods has been injured or not, but I think Chertow mentioned that he was taking a lot of classes in hopes of graduating in 3 years. I’m paraphrasing and was watching while doing other things. Not sure he was even planning on wrestling this year.

Lol
Not sure if Woods has been injured or not, but I think Chertow mentioned that he was taking a lot of classes in hopes of graduating in 3 years. I’m paraphrasing and was watching while doing other things. Not sure he was even planning on wrestling this year.
Willie said the same thing a few weeks ago, he was loaded up on classes to graduate before transferring and was focused on the school side of things. what I find interesting is, if he does graduate in three years from Stanford he will wrestle more as a grad student than an underclassmen.

The NCAA is far more transparent than the Conferences, yet I can't find any reference to a waiver process. This is not a "conference" waiver, it's an "NCAA" waiver, according to the rest of the twitter thread. Sure would like to read the process.
I hope Woods appeals and is approved.

It would be exactly like the NCAA to disqualify him from the national championship because he focused on school.

It would be exactly like the NCAA to disqualify him from the national championship because he focused on school.
It sure would be nice to know the allowable bases for appeal. I mean, why have a rule if you can get out of following it just by saying “I’m special because I have school work”? Doesn’t everybody have schoolwork? How would we like it if he petitions: “I don’t want to wrestle three periods because of homework; for me two periods are enough”?

Last edited:
Stanford

It sure would be nice to know the allowable bases for appeal. I mean, why have a rule if you can get out of following it just by saying “I’m special because I have school work”? Doesn’t everybody have schoolwork? How would we like it if he petitions: “I don’t want to wrestle three periods because of homework; for me two periods are enough”?
Insert ESPN graphic of Logan Stieber's daily routine here.

If not for a possible team race consideration, he could've intentionally lost to get an extra match in the consolation bracket. But what would that say about the integrity of the competition. And moreover, finishing 1st (under his control) seemed calculated as better than finishing 3rd and relying on an at large.

I don't see a waiver working out for him. They knew the rules going in. Also, it's already a free year, so little is lost.

Why not. Spencer Lee has that waiver.

Oh hell all he had to do was wrestle one match during the year. I guess he’s the only wrestler who hit the books hard? He did this to himself and now wants bailed out. No doubt the ncaa will cater to him.

Well, there you have it. Woods wrestles his 125-lb backup teammate to get in.

No more of a farce than the 86th place EIWA guy getting in because Yianni sat this year ...

And remember, per Ivy rules, Ivy guys have to defer classes to retain eligibility. So EIWA got AQs based upon guys who aren't even in class.

Which <<<< graduating from freaking Stanford in 3 years.

Well, there you have it. Woods wrestles his 125-lb backup teammate to get in.

No more of a farce than the 86th place EIWA guy getting in because Yianni sat this year ...

And remember, per Ivy rules, Ivy guys have to defer classes to retain eligibility. So EIWA got AQs based upon guys who aren't even in class.

Which <<<< graduating from freaking Stanford in 3 years.

Can't wrestle teammates.

If not for a possible team race consideration, he could've intentionally lost to get an extra match in the consolation bracket. But what would that say about the integrity of the competition. And moreover, finishing 1st (under his control) seemed calculated as better than finishing 3rd and relying on an at large.

I don't see a waiver working out for him. They knew the rules going in. Also, it's already a free year, so little is lost.

since it's still just a 6 man bracket, i think he still would have only wrestled 3 matches if he had lost his first match. he would have wrestled the guy who lost the other half's semi, then either the guy who lost his own half's semi or the guy who lost the other half's pigtail.

Reactions: ccdiver
since it's still just a 6 man bracket, i think he still would have only wrestled 3 matches if he had lost his first match. he would have wrestled the guy who lost the other half's semi, then either the guy who lost his own half's semi or the guy who lost the other half's pigtail.
If the guy who he forfeited didn't make the finals, he would have had a true second match, but you don't take that kind of gamble.

Reactions: Dogwelder
The Pac12 141 bracket is on Trackwrestling. The way I read it, Wood could've won-lost-won-won to get 4 matches and finished 3-1 instead of 2-1 (not that I'm suggesting he should've).

Furthermore, I understand Pac12 needed to wrestle a 3rd place match. because selection for at large criteria includes finishing one spot outside of AQs. Pac12 141 AQ went to 2nd place. BTW there was also a 5th place match.

From Pac12 results

Martinoni placed 3rd and scored 15.0 team points. 3-1 at tournament.

That's who Wood beat in first round.

Real Woods placed 2nd and scored 12.0 team points. 2-1 at tournament.

Aye, there's the rub. Actually scored fewer points. Could've deployed the Ryan technique by dropping to consis bracket early.

The Pac12 141 bracket is on Trackwrestling. The way I read it, Wood could've won-lost-won-won to get 4 matches and finished 3-1 instead of 2-1 (not that I'm suggesting he should've) ...
Neat. So, either way, he had to win his third match, but if he had lost his second match, then his third opponent would have been easier to win against. Good noticing.

Man, intentional losses are complicated. That's why me and Al Davis advise "just win, Baby!" :)

Reactions: psumacw
Because Woods beat the 3rd place finisher during the tournamen, so no need for the true 2nd bout. He could of had another bout if he did not wrestle the place place guy.

Reactions: hlstone
This is weird though. We all feel for Woods not making it. But everyone else has been gambling and calculating what they need to do to create the least risky pathway. And this is college....everyone IS in class AND none are losing eligibility.

So what is happening is they calculated. They saw who was in his path and planned a win without wrestling even one match. And they lost. They don’t like the result. File an appeal because the result was unexpected?

I’m going against the grain here. This is life.

Brody Teske is your #1 seed @ 125 in the Big 12 ! Way to go Brody
Want to see the heads spin off shoulders on both be a d bwi simultaneously
This is weird though. We all feel for Woods not making it. But everyone else has been gambling and calculating what they need to do to create the least risky pathway. And this is college....everyone IS in class AND none are losing eligibility.

So what is happening is they calculated. They saw who was in his path and planned a win without wrestling even one match. And they lost. They don’t like the result. File an appeal because the result was unexpected?

I’m going against the grain here. This is life.
This year doesn't count everyone should go lmfao. What is the world.coming to huh

Reactions: Cowbell Man
They were wrestling true seconds and you're right, that's what they are.

For example, Griffith had to wrestle again after losing to Valencia.

oh interesting. thanks for pointing that out. i promise i googled and didn't see any reference to that match. maybe none of the third placers beat any of the finals losers to move up so they didn't show those results? grasping at straws here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT