ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Tournament Wrestling today

Valencia beat Griffith 7-1 (Griffith made a mistake countering a whizzer and got flipped to his back for 6). That's gonna throw a wrecnch into 165.

Also, Schultz won P12 HWT and is unbeaten with wins over Traxler, Gremmel, Isley, and Andrews. That will probably get him a top 5 seed at nationals.
Maybe Valencia can finally reach the podium at nationals. Maybe that he only has to starve for 2 months instead of the usual 4 months this season will allow him to have some energy in St Louis.

oh interesting. thanks for pointing that out. i promise i googled and didn't see any reference to that match. maybe none of the third placers beat any of the finals losers to move up so they didn't show those results? grasping at straws here.
I think it's just a case of bad record keeping. They aren't listed in the brackets on track. I've only seen reference to them by individual team twitter accounts.

Opinions about Real Woods will fall on both sides of the debate. Rules prevent total chaos, so I'll land on that side. Still curious about the waiver thing though, as it's still hanging out there. What would their argument be when the rules were in place for the whole season.

Add to my take that I don't particularly like the 4-match rule, but it is the rule so we should live with it. If the NCAA is going to average the last 5 years for allocations, and create situations like the one the Big Ten has at 125 and 149 - where one of their rules MAY, or is likely to cause a better wrestler to go to NCAA's - a second restrictive rule has now done the same. Now that they know the consequences of the decisions, as well-intended as they were, wonder if there's any regrets. We'll never know.

Opinions about Real Woods will fall on both sides of the debate. Rules prevent total chaos, so I'll land on that side. Still curious about the waiver thing though, as it's still hanging out there. What would their argument be when the rules were in place for the whole season.

Add to my take that I don't particularly like the 4-match rule, but it is the rule so we should live with it. If the NCAA is going to average the last 5 years for allocations, and create situations like the one the Big Ten has at 125 and 149 - where one of their rules MAY, or is likely to cause a better wrestler to go to NCAA's - a second restrictive rule has now done the same. Now that they know the consequences of the decisions, as well-intended as they were, wonder if there's any regrets. We'll never know.
great point. Real's situation vs others based on seed allocations. Conference appeals?

What was the intention of the 4 match minimum? They've never had it before. What did they think they were accomplishing by adding it this year?

I get why the used the averages for allocations. They're lazy. The match minimum is totally beyond comprehension.

What was the intention of the 4 match minimum? They've never had it before. What did they think they were accomplishing by adding it this year?

I get why the used the averages for allocations. They're lazy. The match minimum is totally beyond comprehension.
make it an open? Yanni can participate similar to the Russian athletes at the Olympics :rolleyes:

Reactions: danoftw
make it an open? Yanni can participate similar to the Russian athletes at the Olympics :rolleyes:
A team should be able to enter whoever they want at conferences and if that wrestler places high enough, they should go to the tournament. I

f Kerk hadn't had the maryland matches and he took 2nd at big tens, beating Parris, but losing to Gable, finishing with 3 matches, you don't think he should qualify?

Reactions: Ski
A team should be able to enter whoever they want at conferences and if that wrestler places high enough, they should go to the tournament.
^^ This.

I understand the minimum applying to at-large eligibility.

Applying it to disqualify wrestlers who earned a spot on the mat, is idiocy -- and was foreseen when the rule was announced.

^^ This.

Applying it to disqualify wrestlers who earned a spot on the mat, is idiocy -- and was foreseen when the rule was announced.
It's just totally beyond me how that got added this year. The only thing I can think of is there being some sort of mix up in choosing 4 matches as the minimum to earn an AQ for the conference, but then they decided not use results to determine those anyway and somehow the minimum got left in as an overall thing.

Basically imagining a comedy of errors involving a bunch of administrators that don't know anything about wrestling coming up with the rules for this year.

The Stanford-affiliated tweet(s) saying Woods was NCAA-bound makes me wonder whether the Stanford coaches and wrestlers understood the rules beforehand.

Reactions: hlstone
Basically imagining a comedy of errors involving a bunch of administrators that don't know anything about wrestling coming up with the rules for this year.
You could've omitted the words "about wrestling" and not lost any accuracy.

Reactions: js8793
The Stanford-affiliated tweet(s) saying Woods was NCAA-bound makes me wonder whether the Stanford coaches and wrestlers understood the rules beforehand.
Maybe. Maybe the intern who runs their tweeter didn't know.

The attendees at the meeting where this was discussed were;
Matt Azevedo, Drexel University, Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association.
Bob Burda, Big 12 Conference.
Karen Langston, California State University, Bakersfield, Pac-12 Conference.
Andy Noel, Cornell University, Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association.
Kyle Ruschell, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Southern Conference.
Jennifer Tuscano, University of Pittsburgh, Atlantic Coast Conference.NCAA Staff Anthony Holman, Championships and Alliances.
Nick Strah, Championships and Alliances.
Laura Klee, Championships and Alliances.
Pat Tocci, National Wrestling Coaches Association

Also, I finally found a reference from the NCAA re. waivers for this year. It states...

(1) Recommendation. To accept waiver requests from institutions that have wrestlers who do not meet the minimum of four matches against Division I wrestlers. (See attachment.) there was no attachment to what I found
(2) Effective date. 2021 championships only.
(3) Rationale. Due to COVID-19-related issues and concerns,most teams had limited opportunities to compete, and encountered interruptions during the season. Providing a waiver option will offer the ability for wrestlers who would otherwise be considered for at-large a path to still be considered if their competition opportunities were eliminated or reduced because of COVID-19.

• Love
Reactions: Dogwelder
Also, I finally found a reference from the NCAA re. waivers for this year. It states...

(1) Recommendation. To accept waiver requests from institutions that have wrestlers who do not meet the minimum of four matches against Division I wrestlers. (See attachment.) there was no attachment to what I found
(2) Effective date. 2021 championships only.
(3) Rationale. Due to COVID-19-related issues and concerns,most teams had limited opportunities to compete, and encountered interruptions during the season. Providing a waiver option will offer the ability for wrestlers who would otherwise be considered for at-large a path to still be considered if their competition opportunities were eliminated or reduced because of COVID-19.
You see, this is totally beyond comprehension to me because it's a proposed solution to a problem they artificially created. It means they foresaw the problem with introducing a totally new and arbitrary rule and did it anyway.

I would love to get a comment from Azevedo, Ruschell, and Tocci on why they did this. They should have known better.

You see, this is totally beyond comprehension to me because it's a proposed solution to a problem they artificially created. It means they foresaw the problem with introducing a totally new and arbitrary rule and did it anyway.

I would love to get a comment from Azevedo, Ruschell, and Tocci on why they did this. They should have known better.
The NCAA Wrestling Committee came up with the 4-match minimum as if there was a match minimum for at-large in the past. Read here;
(1)Recommendation. Wrestlers must wrestle a minimum of four matches at the respective championship weight class to be eligible for at-large consideration. (2)Effective date. 2021 championships only.
(3)Rationale. Due to COVID-19 related concerns, most teams will not be competing until January, and may be limited to one competition per week. Thus, drastically reducing the opportunities for competition.
(4)Estimated budget impact. None.
(5)Student-athlete impact. Allows for wrestlers to still be considered for championship selections even with a shortened season with fewer competition opportunities.

My opinion: What is NEW this year too is that the pre-allocation numbers DO NOT BECOME AQ's ONCE THE WRESTLER THAT EARNED IT STEPS ON THE MAT AT THEIR RESPECTIVE QUALIFYING TOURNEY. With 2 spots at Woods' weight, he could still have earned his way.

[the waiver process is] a proposed solution to a problem they artificially created. It means they foresaw the problem with introducing a totally new and arbitrary rule and did it anyway. ...
I agree! The rule (requiring 4 matches to auto qualify by placing 2 to N in Conference) is crazy weird. The only “benefit” of the rule is that it dissuades people from taking the regular season off. But this year of all years, fewer people would be harmed by someone’s taking the regular season off. Because the biggest harm in a normal year is that a stud takes the regular season off, and so the conference earns fewer auto-qualification slots at the stud’s weight, and then the stud swoops in at the conference tournament and “steals” a slot that he did not help earn. But this year, the slots are allocated to conferences without regard to who is wrestling the regular season, and so that main harm is not inflicted. So why should the rule exist this year and not other years?

Very illogical is the rule.

Reactions: js8793
The NCAA Wrestling Committee came up with the 4-match minimum as if there was a match minimum for at-large in the past. Read here;
(1)Recommendation. Wrestlers must wrestle a minimum of four matches at the respective championship weight class to be eligible for at-large consideration. (2)Effective date. 2021 championships only.
(3)Rationale. Due to COVID-19 related concerns, most teams will not be competing until January, and may be limited to one competition per week. Thus, drastically reducing the opportunities for competition.
(4)Estimated budget impact. None.
(5)Student-athlete impact. Allows for wrestlers to still be considered for championship selections even with a shortened season with fewer competition opportunities.

My opinion: What is NEW this year too is that the pre-allocation numbers DO NOT BECOME AQ's ONCE THE WRESTLER THAT EARNED IT STEPS ON THE MAT AT THEIR RESPECTIVE QUALIFYING TOURNEY. With 2 spots at Woods' weight, he could still have earned his way.

Has the PAC12 announced that they are only awarding automatic bids to wrestlers with 4 matches?

I thought the rule, as written, left the decision to the respective conferences.

I agree! The rule (requiring 4 matches to auto qualify by placing 2 to N in Conference) is crazy weird. The only “benefit” of the rule is that it dissuades people from taking the regular season off. But this year of all years, fewer people would be harmed by someone’s taking the regular season off. Because the biggest harm in a normal year is that a stud takes the regular season off, and so the conference earns fewer auto-qualification slots at the stud’s weight, and then the stud swoops in at the conference tournament and “steals” a slot that he did not help earn. But this year, the slots are allocated to conferences without regard to who is wrestling the regular season, and so that main harm is not inflicted. So why should the rule exist this year and not other years?

Very illogical is the rule.

Since you're channeling Mr. Spock and Yoda, I didn't know which way to go...
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha
The rule is stupid? That’s a reason to let him in??

Cael can count. He knew the rules and he found a way to get his wrestlers enough matches to avoid this. #twomatchesvsmaryland

Stanford. Cmon guys. The Ivy Leage of the west, they claim. Smarter than the rest? Cant read rules, no matter how bad? Or......gambled. And lost. And Wood STILL keeps his eligibility and wrestles next year.

It IS a stupid rule. I agree.

^^ This.

Idiocy hand in hand with NCAA, now who could have seen that occuring?

Idiocy hand in hand with NCAA, now who could have seen that occuring?
Yup. But changes nothing that everyone knew ahead of time.

The sheer number of times I’ve had to explain to my kids that a stupid rule isn’t less of a rule than a good one. It’s still a rule until it’s changed. Arguing for change when you get caught doesn’t really fly.

It IS a stupid rule. I’m not even sure why it exists.....but it does and every other team managed it. The good news is it won’t exist next year.

Not arguing its merit, but maybe a new minimum match rule was already in the works, and they decided to try a variant of it out in the free COVID year, thinking there was less to lose. They may have simply chosen a lower number of matches and allowed for the waiver as a further hedge against greater blowback for this year.

This is the only rationale that makes any kind of partial sense to me. Perhaps it was an attempt to make duals matter more and eliminate some of the alleged "ducking."

We'll see what the rules are next year.

Woods is now qualified for an at-large. And he'll absolutely get it.

ADVERTISEMENT