ADVERTISEMENT

clemson vs. Tosu -- Sugar Bowl/CFP Semifinal game thread

The main thing to learn is you need an elite QB to compete for a championship. I’m pretty sure he already knew that
I think Franklin is a great coach, and with the right team, he could definitely win it all. I am sure he already had a championship level QB with Trace. In fact we had a heck of a lot of championship level players on that 2017 team but we were severely lacking at other positions and didn't have the depth to absorb injuries.
It takes a lot more than just an elite QB to win it all. From O-line to defensive backfield, to the middle of our D line, we have not had enough talent at all key places at the same time to win it all.
Unlike the folks who see red with every play-call or time-out they don't agree with, I am hopeful Franklin can use the transfer portal to fill the many holes we currently have. But I am still having a hard time with the 0-5 start this year.

The main thing to learn is you need an elite QB to compete for a championship. I’m pretty sure he already knew that

Actually, based on that predictable offense we put out week after week, there is no chance Franklin will ever get an elite QB. 4th and 5 against Ohio State in 2018 is all you need to know about Franklin and his offense. So No, I don’t think Franklin knows that.

I think Franklin is a great coach, and with the right team, he could definitely win it all. I am sure he already had a championship level QB with Trace. In fact we had a heck of a lot of championship level players on that 2017 team but we were severely lacking at other positions and didn't have the depth to absorb injuries.
It takes a lot more than just an elite QB to win it all. From O-line to defensive backfield, to the middle of our D line, we have not had enough talent at all key places at the same time to win it all.
Unlike the folks who see red with every play-call or time-out they don't agree with, I am hopeful Franklin can use the transfer portal to fill the many holes we currently have. But I am still having a hard time with the 0-5 start this year.
It takes a lot more than an elite QB and a coach to win a NC. That’s why OSU made it to the playoffs with two different coaches. That’s why LSU made it with Ed Orgeron for God’s sake. That’s why the same three or four teams make it every year. It’s about stockpiling talent so you’re loaded multiple players deep at all positions or you luck into a group that doesn’t get too banged up (LSU). As long as Bama, Clemson, and OSU keep recruiting at the level they’re recruiting every year, no one else is really breaking into that group. Then throw in Clemson being in a shit conference where they’re not challenged and the same for Oklahoma, and everyone else is a long shot to make it into the CFP.

Right team??? Isn't a great coach responsible for getting the "right team". Player flock to programs with great coaches. Franklin was suppose to be a great recruiter and neither the on field nor recruiting results are not what I would call great.

Where are all the “Ryan Day is not a top coach” posters today? Does anyone think Franklin watched last nights game? He could have learned a lot.

Franklin and his staff are light years away from being a playoff contenders.

Did you see his fiancé? I’m quite sure she’s hotter than you (or almost anyone on this board) could land and he’s not even a millionaire NFL QB yet.

She‘s most definitely a “Be right back.”

😞

Didn’t you know Franklin is too stupid to learn anything?
And he doesn’t really want to win. I mean, only his job depends on it whereas our drunken Saturdays and bragging rights depend on it. He needs to get his priorities in order.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper

I think top assistant coaches are critical too. Dabo, Saban, and Day all have elite guys helping out. Just watching OSU’s DL get after TL last night, and all the little things they do well - hands up on pass plays, strip the ball, hustle - and compared to our DL the past couple years; reminds me of how good LJ is as a coach. OSU’s WRs rarely drop passes too.

I think top assistant coaches are critical too. Dabo, Saban, and Day all have elite guys helping out. Just watching OSU’s DL get after TL last night, and all the little things they do well - hands up on pass plays, strip the ball, hustle - and compared to our DL the past couple years; reminds me of how good LJ is as a coach. OSU’s WRs rarely drop passes too.

Like Venables? o_O

Where are all the “Ryan Day is not a top coach” posters today? Does anyone think Franklin watched last nights game? He could have learned a lot.
And if Day goes out and gets railroaded by Bama, will he have forgotten how to coach? I’m quite sure his value will drop if that happens.

Brian Hartline is probably the top WR coach in the country, LJ is most certainly the best DL coach in the country, and Kerry Coombs has been putting more secondary players into the NFL draft than anybody.

No doubt about it, you need a championship staff to perform at that level of CFB. Those dudes not only recruit elite talent, but they seem to develop them extremely well, too. It's not like Texas where a bunch of highly touted kids come in and underperform.

And if Day goes out and gets railroaded by Bama, will he have forgotten how to coach? I’m quite sure his value will drop if that happens.
Your post makes no sense, but please continue your “Franklin is the best coach in the Big Ten” propaganda. Day will end the season as either #1 or #2, and Franklin will wonder what could have been if he had appropriately managed a football team, and not a frat house.

Your post makes no sense, but please continue your “Franklin is the best coach in the Big Ten” propaganda. Day will end the season as either #1 or #2, and Franklin will wonder what could have been if he had appropriately managed a football team, and not a frat house.
If you ever read this board then my post makes perfect sense....when a coach wins a game then they’re great, awesome, amazing (see Jeff Brohm a couple years ago), but when they lose it has to be their fault so they must have forgotten how to coach. I mean Franklin hasn’t lost a game yet that wasn’t his fault, so everyone on this board is going to be consistent, right?

Boom boom!

Frat house? Does a team that managed COVID best in the conference resemble the stereotypical frat house? Seems to me that they operated just the opposite. Wait. Who cares? Screw their health. And why should the lack of a normal in-person camp and practice schedule matter when you have new coaches and many new starters? Just f*cking win.

Franklin is an idiot.

Frat house? Does a team that managed COVID best in the conference resemble the stereotypical frat house? Seems to me that they operated just the opposite. Wait. Who cares? Screw their health. And why should the lack of a normal in-person camp and practice schedule matter when you have new coaches and many new starters? Just f*cking win.

Franklin is an idiot.
Please make sure you post the picture of Franklin holding the Big Tens “COVID-19 Management” trophy, I can’t wait to see it. If working out, preparing, practicing, and communicating as a football team in hopes of winning the Big Ten title was not a priority this season, then why did the team even bother to suit up and play? Did Franklin not get the same manual that the other top 10/15 coaches got?

Reactions: MacNit07
Their vaunted DC was there. What's the excuse for the lousy defensive performance.

Too much OSU. And when you play 11 games or whatever beating up on nobodies like Citadel and Wake Forest, you get exposed against superior coaching and talent.

Too much OSU. And when you play 11 games or whatever beating up on nobodies like Citadel and Wake Forest, you get exposed against superior coaching and talent.
And the poor offensive performance was due to the same thing and the OSU defense more than play calling. IMO

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Please make sure you post the picture of Franklin holding the Big Tens “COVID-19 Management” trophy, I can’t wait to see it. If working out, preparing, practicing, and communicating as a football team in hopes of winning the Big Ten title was not a priority this season, then why did the team even bother to suit up and play? Did Franklin not get the same manual that the other top 10/15 coaches got?

Actually, Franklin has to share that trophy with Pat Fitzgerald who according to the announcers during their bowl game, indicated NW finished the year with 0 positive covid cases. Somehow, they managed to win 7 games, including a bowl win over a SEC team.

It was really enjoyable watching Wisconsin and NW in their bowl games. They could have voted to quit and end the season on 12/19, but they wanted an opportunity to compete on the field in one more "worthless" game. Good for them.

You think maybe having a 5* QB and a two elite RBs when he got the job makes him look smart

Actually, Franklin has to share that trophy with Pat Fitzgerald who according to the announcers during their bowl game, indicated NW finished the year with 0 positive covid cases. Somehow, they managed to win 7 games, including a bowl win over a SEC team.

It was really enjoyable watching Wisconsin and NW in their bowl games. They could have voted to quit and end the season on 12/19, but they wanted an opportunity to compete on the field in one more "worthless" game. Good for them.
That and a couple of bucks will get them a cup of coffee. Bully for them.

I'm sure OSU, Clemson, and Alabama run more practices & harder contact practices without their conference, the NCAA, their own administrators, and state governments peeking through windows and ratting them out.

OSU & Alabama are sharp even in early season with basically a plague ongoing. ND was lucky all their games were in the ACC, they wouldn't have survived in the Big 10.

Franklin does a good job with what he's got, too many assistants moved on for bigger $$$, or weren't cutting it. Fields & Fleming killed him in recruiting , so somehow he has to reinvent the recruiting strategy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT