ADVERTISEMENT

Football PRESS RELEASE: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Sells Out (11) Ole Miss vs. (10) Penn State Showdown

Same reason I post about the spring game. Looking for positives for next year.
The game has absolutely the same meaning as a spring game. Our season is over. It's preparing for next year. Only 3 games remaining mean anything.
Keep telling yourself that. You are clearly in the minority.

giphy.gif

perhaps one of the craziest non-political threads I've ever read on this board.

If you play sports, you are competitive and when you go on the field, you want to win. NFL-eligible players have a choice to make based on draft status and risk. I get it.

CJF said something interesting. the bowl game is now the conclusion of the 2023 season and the start of the 2024 season. Kids that weren't option 1, may be option 1. The coaches don't have to play kids that are seniors either. So kids have an opportunity to step up and establish themselves for 2024. I mean, its not like NBA or MLB where there is just another opportunity tomorrow. You only get a dozen or so of these each year. Better capitalize unless you are going in the first two rounds come April.

Reactions: Ski and JR4PSU
perhaps one of the craziest non-political threads I've ever read on this board.

If you play sports, you are competitive and when you go on the field, you want to win. NFL-eligible players have a choice to make based on draft status and risk. I get it.

CJF said something interesting. the bowl game is now the conclusion of the 2023 season and the start of the 2024 season. Kids that weren't option 1, may be option 1. The coaches don't have to play kids that are seniors either. So kids have an opportunity to step up and establish themselves for 2024. I mean, its not like NBA or MLB where there is just another opportunity tomorrow. You only get a dozen or so of these each year. Better capitalize unless you are going in the first two rounds come April.
I wonder how Henderson from OSU plays into Mr Comando's equation. He is projected as a second round pick if he elects to leave for the draft. He has chosen to stay at OSU next year. Is it an entire meaningless year for him?

I wonder how Henderson from OSU plays into Mr Comando's equation. He is projected as a second round pick if he elects to leave for the draft. He has chosen to stay at OSU next year. Is it an entire meaningless year for him?
I think everyone's need and risk strategy is different.

Years ago, a starting QB fell in the draft because the analytics showed that a player needed two seasons as starter to lower the risk when transitioning to the NFL. That could play if you were a QB. But each position's risk is different and the financial need is different. For example, I would think a guy whose eligibility is up after this year has far greater risk than a kid that qualifies for another year should he get injured in a bowl. He's got a year to recover and still get the cash. I also look at RBs who are severely undervalued like Saquon. Why not stay another year and get $5m in NIL? You won't get much more from the NFL for a year.

Lots to consider. It is what it is. But I don't think that they don't care about the bowl games. I think it has to be taken with their personal considerations and risks. Kids worked their entire lives to get a payday.

Same as our elite LT coming back for 2023.
Kids have countless reasons for coming back including winning a title.
RBs are the one spot I don't mind if they return because the league devalues the position so he might be better off with NIL money but for everyone else it's about getting to the second contract.

I think everyone's need and risk strategy is different.

Years ago, a starting QB fell in the draft because the analytics showed that a player needed two seasons as starter to lower the risk when transitioning to the NFL. That could play if you were a QB. But each position's risk is different and the financial need is different. For example, I would think a guy whose eligibility is up after this year has far greater risk than a kid that qualifies for another year should he get injured in a bowl. He's got a year to recover and still get the cash. I also look at RBs who are severely undervalued like Saquon. Why not stay another year and get $5m in NIL? You won't get much more from the NFL for a year.

Lots to consider. It is what it is. But I don't think that they don't care about the bowl games. I think it has to be taken with their personal considerations and risks. Kids worked their entire lives to get a payday.
Exactly. Mr Comando seems to think it is a monolithic determination. ALL do what they do for ONE reason only. And NONE ever chose differently than what HE says they will do. Kind of an idiotic position to take.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnmpsu
Same as our elite LT coming back for 2023.
Kids have countless reasons for coming back including winning a title.
RBs are the one spot I don't mind if they return because the league devalues the position so he might be better off with NIL money but for everyone else it's about getting to the second contract.
EXACTLY. It is not a monolithic determination. Some will play. Some won't. And they will make that determination from a NUMBER of factors, selfish reasons not being the only factor(s). That seems to be what you don't get.

But the fact that it is a RB position, that generally has the shortest professional career due to injuries, it is the ONE position that you SHOULD stay out of the game in order to limit injury exposure.

Reactions: knickslions
EXACTLY. It is not a monolithic determination. Some will play. Some won't. And they will make that determination from a NUMBER of factors, selfish reasons not being the only factor(s). That seems to be what you don't get.

But the fact that it is a RB position, that generally has the shortest professional career due to injuries, it is the ONE position that you SHOULD stay out of the game in order to limit injury exposure.
Every decision is on what's best for them. That includes it they play or not. It's all about what they want to do and what's best for them. Nothing else.

RB isn't about the second contract now. It's the only position that is true about. He can probably make more money at Ohio State next year than at the second contract. You can disagree with me all you want but this is a common belief. Said by someone else in this thread as well...
I also look at RBs who are severely undervalued like Saquon. Why not stay another year and get $5m in NIL? You won't get much more from the NFL for a year.

I won't complain about anything on game day--it's the same as the Blue/White game. A scrimmage. The outcome means nothing as we all know and need to acknowledge.
Then Penn State should have declined to play in this game. After all it is meaningless. Who plays in meaningless games? What a waste.

Exactly. Mr Comando seems to think it is a monolithic determination. ALL do what they do for ONE reason only. And NONE ever chose differently than what HE says they will do. Kind of an idiotic position to take.
Of course the weasel will watch the "meaningless" game and actually care about the outcome.

Reactions: JR4PSU
Can't. Conference tie-in. Money.
Bowle are only about money
Then PSU should strictly play 3rd teamers. Encourage all starting seniors to opt out, of course. All underclassmen starters will not play. Do the least possible investment into a meaningless, fruitless endeavor. This strategy would fulfill your agenda. And this should occur with every non playoff bowl game. Brilliant.

right, and the "meaningless game" has a bowl payout of $8,244,578
Exactly. He can't answer the question of ..."the game has no bearing on the national championship but doesn't it hold a lot of value for Penn State like the huge $ payout, the practice time for players, whether we achieve a top ten ranking, a reward for the players, a nice trip for a huge fan base, exposure to the program in a fertile recruiting area, exposure for the university, etc., etc?" Apparently it is devoid of all value and completely meaningless.

Reactions: Ski
Exactly. He can't answer the question of ..."the game has no bearing on the national championship but doesn't it hold a lot of value for Penn State like the huge $ payout, the practice time for players, whether we achieve a top ten ranking, a reward for the players, a nice trip for a huge fan base, exposure to the program in a fertile recruiting area, exposure for the university, etc., etc?" Apparently it is devoid of all value and completely meaningless.
He’s a fool. He started season with West Virginia wouldn’t win 3 games

right, and the "meaningless game" has a bowl payout of $8,244,578
How much more do you get for winning?

Then PSU should strictly play 3rd teamers. Encourage all starting seniors to opt out, of course. All underclassmen starters will not play. Do the least possible investment into a meaningless, fruitless endeavor. This strategy would fulfill your agenda. And this should occur with every non playoff bowl game. Brilliant.
Anyone returning next year should play. Everyone else shouldn't. They're wasting valuable practice reps

• Haha
Reactions: GSPMax
We already achieved a top 10 ranking. There aren't more polls that have meaning. The AP and Coaches are irrelevant. Just for something to talk about.

If the outcome doesn't impact who wins a title then the post season game is meaningless.

Not sure how I can't answer the question. The Peach Bowl pays teams because fans are still naive enough to but tickets and spend money to attend.

• Haha
You have no clue.
I know what I said and have posted it here several times
You haven't accepted what college football is today. You're still stuck with "lower standards" and pretending 8 wins has value when 8 wins is a failed season. Look at who WVU beat and how they beat them. It's okay to admit you're wrong. I did.

• Haha
Whether it’s meaningless or not is subjective which is why this argument is dumb. To 99% of people on earth, the national championship game is meaningless.

Reactions: Ski and johnmpsu
Whether it’s meaningless or not is subjective which is why this argument is dumb. To 99% of people on earth, the national championship game is meaningless.
But it's not irrelevant to determining the national title which is the entire point of the season

• Haha
But it's not irrelevant to determining the national title which is the entire point of the season
I think anyone who thinks that would need to agree that 0-12 or losing in OT in the title game are equivalent.

I think a lot of fans get incremental enjoyment out of each incremental success. And it’s all entertainment so that’s all that matters.

Hell, I’m a Kentucky fan so I wouldn’t have a reason to ever watch a game

Before someone asks, I’m on here because I live in midtown ATL and wondered what the vibe was for the game.

I think anyone who thinks that would need to agree that 0-12 or losing in OT in the title game are equivalent.

I think a lot of fans get incremental enjoyment out of each incremental success. And it’s all entertainment so that’s all that matters.

Hell, I’m a Kentucky fan so I wouldn’t have a reason to ever watch a game

Before someone asks, I’m on here because I live in midtown ATL and wondered what the vibe was for the game.
Both are a failure. Different levels of failure but failure nonetheless.
Sure, incremental success is great but that's still with the ultimate eventual goal of winning a title
As a Kentucky fan you have seen greatness in basketball--there's no doubt you want the same in football.

Wow, what a ruined thread. Didn't you get any attention as a child? Just wondering why you're such an attention whore now. Thankfully, there is an ignore feature here. 3...2...1...
I didn't bring me into this thread--others did. Enjoy ignore.

• Haha
Both are a failure. Different levels of failure but failure nonetheless.
Sure, incremental success is great but that's still with the ultimate eventual goal of winning a title
As a Kentucky fan you have seen greatness in basketball--there's no doubt you want the same in football.
I do but I’m realistic about it. I get enjoyment beating UL. I get enjoyment winning that 10th game. I get enjoyment out of winning a bowl game.

In basketball you never play a game that doesn’t have title implications so not sure how I would feel. You’re in the hunt until the second the season is over.

I do but I’m realistic about it. I get enjoyment beating UL. I get enjoyment winning that 10th game. I get enjoyment out of winning a bowl game.

In basketball you never play a game that doesn’t have title implications so not sure how I would feel. You’re in the hunt until the second the season is over.
And i enjoy beating quality teams as well but that doesn't take away from the goal
Why do you care about a bowl game? Do you still care now as much as you used to? As the playoff expands will you still care knowing how watered down they are?
And college football is moving towards "you're in the hunt until the season is over". At least for SEC/Big Ten teams.

• Haha
And i enjoy beating quality teams as well but that doesn't take away from the goal
Why do you care about a bowl game? Do you still care now as much as you used to? As the playoff expands will you still care knowing how watered down they are?
And college football is moving towards "you're in the hunt until the season is over". At least for SEC/Big Ten teams.
I care about a bowl game because I get enjoyment out of a team success, even if that success doesn’t mean they are the best in the country this year.

The playoffs didn’t affect it for me. But again, UK was never playing a bowl game for an argument of being the best team in the country anyway.

I care about a bowl game because I get enjoyment out of a team success, even if that success doesn’t mean they are the best in the country this year.

The playoffs didn’t affect it for me. But again, UK was never playing a bowl game for an argument of being the best team in the country anyway.
Fair enough. And, as I've always said, those that enjoy the game should but we also need to be realistic about the relevance of the outcome. Bowls have become more about the following year than the current. See how many starting QBs aren't playing. Do Bowls accurately reflect the strength of teams that year? Lots of things to consider.

The primary issue here is that players are being criticized for opting out if these games. That's just ridiculous. Those that want to play for their own reasons should. Those that won't be back next year should have the option.

Last edited:
  • Haha
He claims he is an objective PSU fan but his idiotic points of view say otherwise like that sh## sh## one.

He started the WVU bullshit after we crushed them in Week 1 and scUM beat ECU... He started marketing that WVU sucked and we "shouldn't pretend" ECU wouldn't beat WVU easily (i.e., he was promoting scUM's victory as a good one and PSU's as sucking by saying WVU sucked overall and relative to ECU). Said WVU would lose the next week to ASWP who he claimed was a legitimately decent team. Many on the board told him he was full of $hit and WVU would beat ASWP.... he of course was proven wrong. He then was proven absurdly wrong in his comparison of ECU and WVU (ECU started the season 1-8 and ended it 2-10). IOW, he was proven wrong in everything he said about WVU and every team he compared against them (ASWP and ECU) - not just wrong, but absurdly wrong! But he's still here running his douche troll mouth - what's that tell you???

He started the WVU bullshit after we crushed them in Week 1 and scUM beat ECU... He started marketing that WVU sucked and we "shouldn't pretend" ECU wouldn't beat WVU easily (i.e., he was promoting scUM's victory as a good one and PSU's as sucking by saying WVU sucked overall and relative to ECU). Said WVU would lose the next week to ASWP who he claimed was a legitimately decent team. Many on the board told him he was full of $hit and WVU would beat ASWP.... he of course was proven wrong. He then was proven absurdly wrong in his comparison of ECU and WVU (ECU started the season 1-8 and ended it 2-10). IOW, he was proven wrong in everything he said about WVU and every team he compared against them (ASWP and ECU) - not just wrong, but absurdly wrong! But he's still here running his douche troll mouth - what's that tell you???
ASWP?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT