ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Nassib

I came back to my dorm at PSU after partying one night to find my roommate hung himself in the dorm room. There is so much that was never known surrounding it, but he broke up with his ex that night and some people with him said that he realized he was gay that night. No one will ever know if that led to his decision to take his own life, but the more outward acceptance for others, the better.

The more macho, gay role models for young boys and men who are fighting with their own acceptance of themselves being gay, the better.

If you cannot see or understand this, just please sit this one out, or feel free to PM me (I am straight, but will fight for the LGBTQ community regardless)

Not a single thing courageous about Nassib, in the middle of Pride Month, with seemingly every corporate entity waiving a rainbow flag, admitting that he prefers having sex with other guys. It devalues the word courage.
Was it Churchill who said, and I'm paraphrasing, "better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

Last edited:
I came back to my dorm at PSU after partying one night to find my roommate hung himself in the dorm room. There is so much that was never known surrounding it, but he broke up with his ex that night and some people with him said that he realized he was gay that night. No one will ever know if that led to his decision to take his own life, but the more outward acceptance for others, the better.

The more macho, gay role models for young boys and men who are fighting with their own acceptance of themselves being gay, the better.

If you cannot see or understand this, just please sit this one out, or feel free to PM me (I am straight, but will fight for the LGBTQ community regardless)

Huh? So if you disagree with me please keep your opinions to yourself. There shouldn't be any opposing opinions expressed here. Isn't this is a discussion board? Not all members will agree on everything but lets hear what they have to say.

Well, I got to the thread late... but I am truly proud of Carl Nassib being brave enough to publicize this, knowing thousands of social media threads about him (like this one) and outside chatter would inevitably ensue... Chatter that will always include a minority of idiots who spew mouth garbage because they have no idea what they are talking about, or the importance of such announcement. Carl has always stood out to me as a PSU fan because of his career path, joining the team as a walk on and grinding his ass off to earn Big Ten Defensive player of the year in 2015 and then get drafted into the 3rd round in the NFL draft. I always cheer for PSU alums in the NFL, and it's cool that with his announcement today that he allows thousands of young men who are struggling with their sexuality to have something to think about tonight, that yes, you can be a successful football player, an athlete, a professional, who is gay. If anyone read or watched Carl's announcement, you would understand that he really isn't doing this for only himself... he is doing this for the countless amount of silent others who are afraid to be their true self.

For those of you who just don't understand, take a step back and try and put yourself in the shoes of someone who is in a marginalized position... or at the very least, keep quiet about it.

Lots of different takes here. I remember a scene from the Will and Grace reboot which I found relevant and confusing.

Will hooked up with a younger guy and they started talking. Will reminisced about the various protests he attended and the changes that had occurred during his journey.

The younger guy just giggled and said “my parents divorced so I had two coming out parties when I was 8.” Will just looked at him perhaps disappointed that he didn’t understand the struggle.

Nothing more.

Huh? So if you disagree with me please keep your opinions to yourself. There shouldn't be any opposing opinions expressed here. Isn't this is a discussion board? Not all members will agree on everything but lets hear what they have to say.
Nope. "Opposing views" to accepting people for being who they are is another way of saying "hatred", and hatred is not welcome here. Bigoted thinking is not simply an opposing view

Was it Churchill who said, and I'm paraphrasing, "better to be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

There are various versions of that saying attributed to Abe Lincoln, Mark Twain and many others. Who knows who first said it. Or in which version. I kinda like the @northwoods version right now.

Hahah, " no hope for you" is a fun way of declaring yourself right on an issue and waiving your hand. Im happy his announcement may make life easier for others. I however don't find it significantly brave in this current climate. If you don't get that....then I'm afraid there is very little hope for you?
I am right about this issue and you’re so wrong it’s scary. If you ever did anything half as brave, you would have a right to post your drivel. But you haven’t and never will.

What's sad is that apparently there are young people whose mental state is so fragile that they are making literal life and death decisions based on whether some random celebrity says they're gay. You want to be courageous? Speak to that. Or continue to call people names. Your choice.
This is so stupid it doesn’t deserve a response, so I won’t give it one.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
Carl Nassib comes out as being gay. Said a decision he has agonized over for the past 15 years. Interesting to see the reaction around the NFL. Other than Michael Sam during the draft process I can’t remember any active players coming out.

Happy for him and happy about his message.

Seems like a very down to earth guy that would be a great friend.

LdN

I am right about this issue and you’re so wrong it’s scary. If you ever did anything half as brave, you would have a right to post your drivel. But you haven’t and never will.
Sorry to "scare you" you're really brave for taking me on about this. Some day, I just hope I'm brave enough to say in Carl's particular situation, it doesn't strike me as that brave. Either way honestly, if some young guy kid finds solace in this, it's a good thing he spoke out

Last edited:
People like you are why people like Carl feel the need to publicly come out. If it's something you truly do not care about, then keep moving.

People need to relax. Some of this vitriol is really misplaced. If someone says they don't care if someone is gay, you should be happy. They aren't the ones the people coming out really care about, they've been accepted by them. They care about their family and friends accepting them. Pretending you are mad because some anonymous message board poster either doesn't see 100% your way, or gasp, expresses themselves differently than you do is a waste of your angst. Here's an idea, try engaging without the judgement and you might 1) win them over, 2) make them pause about what they think, or 3) agree to disagree knowing full well the most important point is actually agreed upon. The horror.

This is the most remarkable thing about Nassib. How many of you at 22 years old could have seen a contract for probably close to 100 times what your parents made and decided to live on like $4k a month to invest for your future with the rest?

Between Carl and John Urschel and Mike Mauti, we had some very incredible young men on those teams back then with amazing personal stories.

Last edited:
People need to relax. Some of this vitriol is really misplaced. If someone says they don't care if someone is gay, you should be happy. They aren't the ones the people coming out really care about, they've been accepted by them. They care about their family and friends accepting them. Pretending you are mad because some anonymous message board poster either doesn't see 100% your way, or gasp, expresses themselves differently than you do is a waste of your angst. Here's an idea, try engaging without the judgement and you might 1) win them over, 2) make them pause about what they think, or 3) agree to disagree knowing full well the most important point is actually agreed upon. The horror.
An "I don't care" tied to a message of "Don't Tell me that" is a pretty coded "eff you", honestly. It's insincere

Reactions: chrisrn1965
An "I don't care" tied to a message of "Don't Tell me that" is a pretty coded "eff you", honestly. It's insincere

I'm sorry, I don't think you realize it, but you're arguing about what people consider to be brave, not whether being gay is considered OK or not. Sure, their are some shit stirrers in the thread (hello people who actually voted for kkk members), but recognize the agreement, and yes, real progress. Take the win.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
You won’t be.

Hahaha, calm down bub. You're getting a little too triggered about me not praising Carl's courage. He seems like a great guy honestly and I am sincerely happy he is living his life the way that makes him satisfied.

Hahaha, calm down bub. You're getting a little too triggered about me not praising Carl's courage. He seems like a great guy honestly and I am sincerely happy he is living his life the way that makes him satisfied.
Not triggered, just responding to stupidity. It’s a flaw of mine.

I don't really care either but the courage Carl is showing isn't about him IMO. He's basically giving other young men a role model. If that helps a bunch of young men deal with their own lives, then good on Carl. I think it speaks to Carl recognizing that he has an opportunity to make a difference and the courage to take those steps.

And actually this isn't the most remarkable thing about Carl as an NFL guy at all. Neither is the walk on to NFL draftee story. It is Carl's ability to think long term financially and maintain a very modest budget to plan for his future. This seems more rare to me than a gay NFL player. There are probably plenty of gay guys in the NFL. There are very few with the financial discipline and vision of Carl.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/26/nfl-player-carl-nassibs-simple-rules-for-saving-money.html

Carl's intentions may be noble but in a culture where the cause of LGBTQ is bizarrely glorified, I'm not sure how much courage it takes to declare yourself a member of that club.

Now if the man made a public profession of Christian faith or some such radical thing along those lines that would immediately subject him to the ridicule of all the Cool Kids, then yeah...

Yes, heaven forfend that I should have the audacity to post on the Intellectuals and Deep Thinkers Board.
Yes, that is
Carl's intentions may be noble but in a culture where the cause of LGBTQ is bizarrely glorified, I'm not sure how much courage it takes to declare yourself a member of that club.

Now if the man made a public profession of Christian faith or some such radical thing along those lines that would immediately subject him to the ridicule of all the Cool Kids, then yeah...
Yes, because everyone is so accepting of gay people (eye roll).

Bizarrely??? How so? He's declaring that he is what he is... And what he is (gay) used to be persecuted, beaten, even killed. So, yeah, being happy is glorified.

It certainly tales courage to declare that you are part of a margenalized, discriminated against population.

What’s happening with LGBTQ is not glorification — it’s propping up and supporting a minority group whose members have historically suffered shaming, ridicule, and even violence and murder simply for being who they are. Maybe some of the positive treatment these individuals are starting to receive feels like glorification when contrasted against that backdrop from the past.

My biggest objection to your post, Jerry, was the “keep your sex life to yourself” at the end… this lumps in the mere act of revealing a fundamental aspect of one’s own identity with crude reveling in the details of sexual conquests. Can you not see how drawing an equivalency like that is demeaning?

And yes, in my opinion, for an athlete embedded in a culture like the NFL to be the first one to come out as gay is brave.

Go look at a bunch of the negative responses to Twitter posts about Carl's announcement. A lot of "I'm done with the NFL" or "I'm no longer a fan of the Raiders". "The cause", as you put it, is not "bizarrely glorified" (again your words). It's outwardly supported because there is still so much negative stigma attached to it.

And it's not a "club" you dimwit.

Go look at a bunch of the negative responses to Twitter posts about Carl's announcement. A lot of "I'm done with the NFL" or "I'm no longer a fan of the Raiders". "The cause", as you put it, is not "bizarrely glorified" (again your words). It's outwardly supported because there is still so much negative stigma attached to it.

And it's not a "club" you dimwit.

I'm sorry, but pointing to the internet as proof that things aren't OK is stupid. You can literally get whatever response you want. Heck, even if it weren't anonymous it's still pretty absurd to think in a country of 330MM+ people that everyone has to think 100% the same way is the standard for progress is a completely unrealistic goal. As I've said before, recognize and take the win.

And yes, in my opinion, for an athlete embedded in a culture like the NFL to be the first one to come out as gay is brave.
There is a reason why Carl is the first to come out despite there obviously having been many gay players before him. And I don't mean to say the others were cowards. In the past something like this could have been the end of a guy's career. Hopefully going forward more players will feel comfortable enough to be themselves publicly.

Reactions: ftlpsu and CVLion
When young men and women commit or attempt suicide at alarming rates due to being gay, seeing that there are succesful people "at the top" with the same orientation is important.

Not understanding the importance of such tells me that you are most likely not part of a margenalized community.

I would have to see statistics on that claim along with hard evidence underlying the numbers before accepting the statement that people are "attempting suicide at alarming rates due to being gay."

In addition, in an environment where homosexuality is praised and celebrated, you have to wonder whether the issue, if it's valid at all, has less to do with public rejection and more with psychological instability.

The LGBTQ community is far from marginalized in this culture. On the contrary, it is mainstream. In fact, traditionalist Christians are far more "marginalized."

Again, the issue to me is not Carl's sexual orientation but rather the public advertisement of it...followed by the predictable chorus of praise and congratulations which the rest of us are supposed to join. Sorry, but I'm not going to do that.

What?

Name another gay active member of the NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL.

Openly Christian players from the big 4 leagues (not exhaustive by any means):

Tim Tebow
Philip Rivers
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Patrick Mahomes
Dak Prescott
Christian McCaffery
Ryan Tannehill
Case Keenum
DK Metcalf
Kirk Cousins
Derek Carr
Nate Solder
Ben Zobrist
Clayton Kershaw
Albert Pujols
Brandon Carlo
Jaccob Slavin
Steph Curry
Kyle Korver
Andre Iguodala
Jonathan Isaac

If only more players thanked God before or after every interview instead of coming out as gay...

I'm sorry, but pointing to the internet as proof that things aren't OK is stupid.
It's one example that's easy to back up in this type of conversation. I don't expect that everyone would or should think the same way. But that's the point of the post you quoted. There is still enough negative stigma attached to homosexuality that calling it bizarrely glorified is ignorant.

Reactions: psuguy43 and CVLion
It's one example that's easy to back up in this type of conversation. I don't expect that everyone would or should think the same way. But that's the point of the post you quoted. There is still enough negative stigma attached to homosexuality that calling it bizarrely glorified is ignorant.

I get that, I do. But again, recognize people in this thread are not saying being gay is bad. They're arguing over how brave they consider telling the media is. Take the win.

I would have to see statistics on that claim along with hard evidence underlying the numbers before accepting the statement that people are "attempting suicide at alarming rates due to being gay."
Carl himself noted in his post that LGBTQ youth are 5x more likely to consider suicide than their peers.

Not sure what “hard evidence” you want, or what would satisfy you, given your apparent hard headedness regarding this topic. To me the statistics seem very intuitive given the treatment many of these individuals have long received.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT