ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Nassib

I don't care what anyone does in the personal life but do you feel the same thing applies to players who talk about their wives?? Should they keep their hetero lives to themselves??
I actually feel this way about most celebrities. I don't give a crap about them or their lives unless they are harming someone and then I want them held accountable. I feel like our society has become too celebrity driven. 24/7 TV, radio, social media, etc., etc. Shut up already.

What is it about celebrity that makes these people think they should tell the little people how to live or what to think? But they do and unfortunately hundreds of millions of people give celebrities this power. A few days ago Renaldo pushed a can of Coke aside at a press conference and said to drink water instead. Well, it moved the stock of a world-wide company $4,000,000,000.00. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...ps-244-billion-after-ronaldos-snub/ar-AAL77Vu

I guess the world is a bunch of lemmings. Sadly, this makes us less free and easy to control. What if Renaldo instead said that XYZ group are lesser people? Legitimately he has the power to ruin them on a whim.

Good for him. I think it’s a shame that something like this has to be announced but it seems like it still has to. Good on him for doing this even though he didn’t really want to for overall good of the homosexual community.
On a personal level, I couldn’t care less about someone’s sexuality.

Reactions: blmr31
Why be discretionary? Bravery is bravery in all its forms. You can applaud them all, you don’t have to be selective in your appreciation for someone doing the right thing.

Well said.

These people complaining about him coming out because "I don't care what he does in his bedroom" miss the point entirely.

It's been well documented that the more people come out -- particularly public figures -- the easier it becomes for the nameless majority to also come out and live their lives openly without fear.

And for those who don't think that's a big deal........clearly you've never dealt with the issue. Which is fine. But maybe STFU about it?

Nassib -- and the vast majority of gay people -- aren't looking for awards or applause or anything. So stop with the stupid false equivalences. They're looking to be able to live their lives openly. And for many of them, merely coming out is traumatizing because of the family/friends backlash.

If you don't understand that perspective, fine. But listen more, talk less.

As I suspected, this was for more than just Carl. The young man seems to have a greater awareness. I'm telling you that his approach to personal finance and teaching other NFL players is probably more remarkable. Not to downplay suicide amongst young gay persons but post-NFL career financial ruin is basically the norm. Carl has actively worked to try to help his peers change their financial futures.

Not a single thing courageous about Nassib, in the middle of Pride Month, with seemingly every corporate entity waiving a rainbow flag, admitting that he prefers having sex with other guys. It devalues the word courage.
Holy hell.

Some of you people seriously need to better educate yourself about this issue. Frankly, these kinds of attitudes are in part why so many people are reluctant to come forward in the first place.

have you perhaps asked yourself why there's a pride month in the first place? Hint -- it's to give people an opportunity to be okay with who they are. Even if that means that they "prefer having sex with other guys".

Goodness.

Last edited:
It's too bad that some people still care about this stuff- but some people do still care about this stuff, and in the worst way.

Well said.

These people complaining about him coming out because "I don't care what he does in his bedroom" miss the point entirely.

It's been well documented that the more people come out -- particularly public figures -- the easier it becomes for the nameless majority to also come out and live their lives openly without fear.

And for those who don't think that's a big deal........clearly you've never dealt with the issue. Which is fine. But maybe STFU about it?

This is so true. I never saw a more frightened look on my younger brother's face than when he got outed in front of me. The look of sheer horror on his face when he realized I was standing there is something I will never forget. It was at a party and I actually had to stop making out with a girl because I needed to make sure my brother was okay. I hugged him and let him know I didn't care that he's gay and that a lot of confusing things about his past now made more sense. I think he's been pretty happy in his own skin ever since. Just never underestimate how much it means to someone to just accept them for who they are no matter what the circumstances.

Well you're suggesting the "right thing" is decided. Decided by whom? The right thing is making a big pronouncement of your sexual orientation? That is fine if you think that is the right thing, the noble thing, the Brave thing, I am just not sure I do.

I am happy Carl's happy. If for some reason Carl coming out publicly means other struggling individuals from all walks of life find inspiration, great. I just don't really term it "brave" in this climate personally. The WR from buffalo went on an anti-vax rant the other day, he really spoke about his feelings in not getting the vaccine etc. Is he also brave? Was he doing the "right thing?" I don't know.
Not even apples and oranges, it’s apples and watermelons. Outing yourself in any climate takes courage. Do you think just because the climate is more open these days in the past it will make his life easier? He could have said nothing, but I’m quite sure he did it to help other young men in his situation have the courage to accept themselves. If you can’t see that, then there’s no hope for you.

Well said.

Nassib -- and the vast majority of gay people -- aren't looking for awards or applause or anything. So stop with the stupid false equivalences. They're looking to be able to live their lives openly. And for many of them, merely coming out is traumatizing because of the family/friends backlash.

If you don't understand that perspective, fine. But listen more, talk less.
This times 1000.

Good for Carl. Those of you saying this doesn't take courage don't know what you're talking about. This is a macho league and contract decisions are made for many subjective reasons. Carl is a bright guy and he knows the significant risk associated with this. He's choosing to do what's right for society above what's easy (and likely more financially lucrative) for himself.

Not even apples and oranges, it’s apples and watermelons. Outing yourself in any climate takes courage. Do you think just because the climate is more open these days in the past it will make his life easier? He could have said nothing, but I’m quite sure he did it to help other young men in his situation have the courage to accept themselves. If you can’t see that, then there’s no hope for you.

What's sad is that apparently there are young people whose mental state is so fragile that they are making literal life and death decisions based on whether some random celebrity says they're gay. You want to be courageous? Speak to that. Or continue to call people names. Your choice.

Not a single thing courageous about Nassib, in the middle of Pride Month, with seemingly every corporate entity waiving a rainbow flag, admitting that he prefers having sex with other guys. It devalues the word courage.
Why TF do some people focus on "likes to have sex with other guys" when someone comes out? Everyone can see past that dog whistle and coded talk. He is romantically attracted to another man, yes. He has feelings for a man beyond friendship, yes.

Sex with another man is so far down that list for people who come out as being gay... But yet, THAT'S what you focus on because that has been the punchline of jokes for God knows how long.

Give me a break.

What's sad is that apparently there are young people whose mental state is so fragile that they are making literal life and death decisions based on whether some random celebrity says they're gay. You want to be courageous? Speak to that. Or continue to call people names. Your choice.
You don't understand the psychology of suicide, obviously

Why TF do some people focus on "likes to have sex with other guys" when someone comes out? Everyone can see past that dog whistle and coded talk. He is romantically attracted to another man, yes. He has feelings for a man beyond friendship, yes.

Sex with another man is so far down that list for people who come out as being gay... But yet, THAT'S what you focus on because that has been the punchline of jokes for God knows how long.

Give me a break.

Give ME a break. You're triggered by someone saying a gay guy likes to have sex with guys? You're nuts!

I actually feel this way about most celebrities. I don't give a crap about them or their lives unless they are harming someone and then I want them held accountable. I feel like our society has become too celebrity driven. 24/7 TV, radio, social media, etc., etc. Shut up already.

What is it about celebrity that makes these people think they should tell the little people how to live or what to think? But they do and unfortunately hundreds of millions of people give celebrities this power. A few days ago Renaldo pushed a can of Coke aside at a press conference and said to drink water instead. Well, it moved the stock of a world-wide company $4,000,000,000.00. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/so...ps-244-billion-after-ronaldos-snub/ar-AAL77Vu

I guess the world is a bunch of lemmings. Sadly, this makes us less free and easy to control. What if Renaldo instead said that XYZ group are lesser people? Legitimately he has the power to ruin them on a whim.
I think the importance of a gay person coming out is that when they do they can finally live the life that they believe they are meant to live. Whether it is a celebrity, co-worker, friend or relative, once they come out it is freeing and they no longer have to face the wispers as to who is that person they are with or why does he never bring a girlfriend to family get together. They can finally be who they are.

You should seriously consider not making another post in this thread. With each post most of us think you are more and more of a DB.

You should seriously consider not making another post in this thread. With each post most of us think you are more and more of a DB.

I don't really care. I don't know you and you don't know me.

There really are no names for this level of tone deafness and willful missing of some pretty basic points.

People like you are why people like Carl feel the need to publicly come out. If it's something you truly do not care about, then keep moving.

I never said I didn't care about the topic. I obviously do as I posted in this thread. I said that I didn't care that some anonymous posters didn't like me.

I never said I didn't care about the topic. I obviously do as I posted in this thread. I said that I didn't care that some anonymous posters didn't like me.
I tried to give you an out of "not caring" and you obviously missed that cue... Because caring to the point of some of your hateful rhetoric is a whole new level of DB-ary.

Hahah, " no hope for you" is a fun way of declaring yourself right on an issue and waiving your hand. Im happy his announcement may make life easier for others. I however don't find it significantly brave in this current climate. If you don't get that....then I'm afraid there is very little hope for you?

You are really, really, really misinformed about this issue.

Seriously misinformed.

May want to sit the next few plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT