ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Nassib

Ok, not technically peodphilia but the sexual abuse of children then. Got it. The problem with the church is how they would move the abusive priests around and let them continue to abuse kids. You can blame the individual priests, I blame the system for allowing them to flourish. The church was more concerned with themselves than the kids. Some religion. I believe in God but the problem with religion is, anytime you trust men to be the intermediaries, it doesn’t work. You can’t blindly put your faith in people. It’s an easy way for most people be it religion, politicians, etc. Objective, free thinking is too much hard work for most people. That is why the cable news channels are so popular. They tell people what to think, people can just take it as fact and regurgitate it to their family, friends, etc. citing illegitimate sources.

Let's call it what it was: abuse by gay men, who monstrously betrayed their vows, of post-pubescent minors...most of whom were teenage males.

Regarding the "system," I totally agree with you. In fact, I'd say the scandals were more than anything else the product of a broken system overseen by corrupt and cowardly bishops.

The Catholic Church has existed for over 2,000 years and is no stranger to periods of crisis and corruption. I expect She will exist for another 2,000 years, if mankind makes it that far, but when the history is written, it's hard to imagine there will be recorded a more profound crisis or period of faith-shattering corruption than the one the institution has experienced for the past 50 years or so.

Yet, even this crisis has to be understood within the context of our times. We're living through epochal changes...the overthrow of a civilization and the moral laws that governed it...and its replacement with another. The Church on earth is not immune to this upheaval.

I also agree with you regarding "blind faith in people." We see this at the level of religion...but also politics, the culture, sports, everywhere. I learned long ago not to put my faith in people or uncritically look to them for instruction on how to think or live.

Instead, my loyalty is to principles...and as regards the Church, my faith is not in any priest, bishop, or Pope...but rather in the Man from Nazareth. At her best, the Church has preserved, defended, explained, and transmitted from generation to generation the things that Man taught.

At her worst, well, that's what we've been talking about. But the point is, her worst was the product not of those principles and that teaching but rather a Judas-like betrayal of them.

Yes many of them are. I live here. Our neighbors got KKK literature distributed to them. I would say that’s misinformed.

New Loudoun is a weird mix. One of the reasons we moved. I would think Leesburg would be a bit more insulated but there’s a ton of growth there too.

Could you please enlighten me as to this notion of LGBTQ people being "more" than their sexual orientation. Because I've been talking here strictly about their sexual orientation...and the bizarre glorification of same.

Re the teaching of the Catholic Church -- (thanks, Lafayette Bear, for outing me as a...<gasp>...Catholic!) -- the sexual scandals that have devastated my church have not been the product of Her teaching but rather the betrayal of that teaching by a collection of Judas scum who either never believed it in the first place or sank into a state of corruption at some point along the line.

Also, minor and inconvenient (for you) point: the scandals have been rooted in an epidemic of active homosexuality within the priesthood. That word "active" is crucial because the issue was never the orientation itself but rather the acting it out, which marked the culprits as faithless betrayers of their vows.
When you worked did you have a picture of your wife on your desk? Did you talk about what your family did on the weekend with your colleagues? Was that bizarre glorification of your sexuality? You clearly wish that gay people could just go away and if not stay in the closet so as to not make you feel uncomfortable.

You have revealed yourself to be an ignorant homophobe. You have accomplished one thing through your numerous posts in this thread. You have demonstrated why Carl's public coming out was so important. If a gay kid had a parent like you they would need a positive role model to counter your negative influence. Further discussion with you is pointless so on ignore you go.

When you worked did you have a picture of your wife on your desk? Did you talk about what your family did on the weekend with your colleagues? Was that bizarre glorification of your sexuality? You clearly wish that gay people could just go away and if not stay in the closet so as to not make you feel uncomfortable.

You have revealed yourself to be an ignorant homophobe. You have accomplished one thing through your numerous posts in this thread. You have demonstrated why Carl's public coming out was so important. If a gay kid had a parent like you they would need a positive role model to counter your negative influence. Further discussion with you is pointless so on ignore you go.

Oh dear, Chris marches away in a huff...yet another guy whose main line of argument is to deploy the mindless label "homophobe." So I guess he won't be enlightening me on how, per his claim, those under the LGBTQ umbrella are "more" than just their sexual orientation.

Seriously, pal, there is a slight difference between a picture of your spouse on the desk and talking about your family on the one hand...and marching bands, flags on buildings, trumpeted applause, and month-long celebrations on the other. One is ordinary daily discourse. The other is glorification.

That aside, at the end of the day, my sin here is to hold to the age-old Christian teaching on sexuality, gay or otherwise. It's unfashionable and now in a minority...but I happen to think it remains true...and furthermore, I don't give a flying fig whether you or anyone else approves of that view.

Also, I think pretty much every one of my numerous posts in this thread, except for one (the first), was in direct response to people who quoted me. Since my position was unpopular, many people registered objections...some more intelligently than others. The point being, if you didn't want an answer, you shouldn't have invited one.

Reactions: RU31trap
New Loudoun is a weird mix. One of the reasons we moved. I would think Leesburg would be a bit more insulated but there’s a ton of growth there too.
Loudoun County is huge geographically. You get on the outskirts and it gets pretty weird in places. There is a ton of tech money here in the Ashburn/Leesburg area, but you get outside of that and there's a whole different crowd but more sparsely dispersed.

Yes, tons of growth.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Pro tip: Do the research before posting on it. How hard can that be?
For him? Impossible. Remember 1) all his belief are based on Christian faith and evolutionary biology and 2) he knows nothing about evolution. smh.

Reactions: fastlax16
That aside, at the end of the day, my sin here is to hold to the age-old Christian teaching on sexuality, gay or otherwise.
I’m stepping back in for one more question. Do you also hold to the age-old Christian teaching (Matthew 7:1) Judge not, that ye be not judged?

I’m stepping back in for one more question. Do you also hold to the age-old Christian teaching (Matthew 7:1) Judge not, that ye be not judged?

I absolutely hold to that teaching, but it refers not to the truth of the moral law but rather to the guilt of those violating the law. Only God can judge the latter...as only He can judge those who profess the law in words but repudiate it in deeds and spirit.

For example, Jesus rebuked those who exalted the law for its own sake, warning them that memorization of the rules was no guarantee of salvation. Yet, he also repeatedly emphasized the validity of the law and the consequences of rejecting it.

There are many passages in Scripture highlighting this, but the most resonant to me is the scene with the adulteress where he prevented the mob from stoning the woman, forgave her on the spot...but told her: Go your way and sin no more. Not: Cool, whatever your "truth" is. Rather: Sin no more.

Taking those words to heart, I judge nobody...to include gay people...some of whom may be a lot closer to salvation than I. But I also take the rest of the passage at the man's word: there is such a thing as sin, it is defined in the age-old code, and we should try our best to avoid it.

For him? Impossible. Remember 1) all his belief are based on Christian faith and evolutionary biology and 2) he knows nothing about evolution. smh.

Quiet, fat man.

I was right about the evolutionary characteristics that drive us.

You, of course, wouldn't know the difference.

Reactions: blmr31 and Jerry
Quiet, fat man.

I was right about the evolutionary characteristics that drive us.

You, of course, wouldn't know the difference.
He’s never been right about one single thing on this board. So, if he says you’re wrong then you’re in good shape.

Reactions: KanePoster
Someday, hopefully soon, we won’t have to applaud someone as being brave for stating they’re gay. That said, I wish Carl nothing but the best. It couldn’t have been easy for him to make this statement, especially as an active pro football player.
Thank you Bob, I'm not reading anymore of this thread. You essentially summed up this entire thread. Kar and I have become game day friends with his father, sister and mother during Carl's time at Penn state.

"Western Civilization" represents what- 25% of the world? And our "moral foundation" isn't really all that impressive in practice, now is it?

Well yeah, it is. Impressive, I mean. In fact, Western civilization, now dying, has been arguably the most influential and powerful in human history. And its foundational Judeo-Christian moral code, even with the many blemishes and failures of those who professed it, has been the greatest force for enlightenment and good in human history. Just my opinion of course, but I think the historical record bears it out.

Well yeah, it is. Impressive, I mean. In fact, Western civilization, now dying, has been arguably the most influential and powerful in human history. And its foundational Judeo-Christian moral code, even with the many blemishes and failures of those who professed it, has been the greatest force for enlightenment and good in human history. Just my opinion of course, but I think the historical record bears it out.
Yes, because Christians have been so moral in their treatment of Jews. Whoops! (Just when I think I'm out, I get sucked back in again.)

Yes, because Christians have been so moral in their treatment of Jews. Whoops! (Just when I think I'm out, I get sucked back in again.)
Did someone make the point that Western Civilization was perfect and I missed it?

Or was the point that Western Civilization is better than any other system ever tried?

People who are not stupid would ask themselves the following question: "If it's true that Western Civilization is bad for Jews/Blacks/POC, to what part of the world are these people fleeing to?"

Smart people ask themselves the question, when trying to see if a theory is true, "If the theory is true, what would be the consequences?".

When you do this, you realize in no time that Western Civilization is the best political system ever conceived and that anyone who believes otherwise is simply, as Stalin said, "a useful idiot".

Reactions: RU31trap and Jerry

Excellent response by Kane above, and I would add the following thought: Don't miss the forest for the trees.

There are many trees of injustice...products of their time and ugly now to look at. But the forest itself was magnificent and in fact was planted in the ancient Semitic kingdoms of Israel and Judah.

Ancient Greece and Rome are there -- the politics and philosophy of both great empires Christianized in the early centuries A.D.

The struggle through several dark centuries after Rome's fall. The building of medieval societies and consolidation of Christendom in Europe. The Renaissance and rise of nation-states. The colonization of a New World on the American continents. The birth of a nation there...conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Historic breakthroughs and dramatic advances in science, technology, medicine, exploration...with the Judeo-Christian code providing moral roots for the concepts of law and justice.

The anti-Christian totalitarian ideologies of the 20th century tried to burn it all down but failed. Now comes a generation of shallow, stupid, spoiled brats living off the moral inheritance of the ages but blithely proposing to dump the whole thing in the garbage heap as something not worthy of their newly enlightened but very small minds. I don't think it will end well.

More technologically advanced and ruthless does not equate to better. Native Americans, especially in the northeast, were doing OK. The U.S. constitution owes a lot to the Iroquois. Read the book Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond for some interesting insights.

And with this, I am officially done with this thread.

Reactions: LionJim
More technologically advanced and ruthless does not equate to better. Native Americans, especially in the northeast, were doing OK. The U.S. constitution owes a lot to the Iroquois. Read the book Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond for some interesting insights.

And with this, I am officially done with this thread.
That's a great book. I enjoyed it very much.

Dude, this is a football message board. My lack of engagement on this board is completely intentional. I post here for kicks, to read the jokes, for motivation, to share favorite poems, to clear my mind, maybe. I used to get into these long fights with people here and I just quit because I realized it really doesn’t matter and it’s not worth the time and the aggravation. It was just an accident that I happened upon your adoption post, just an accident that I’m still here talking about it. If I took this board any more seriously than I already do, how would that be good for me?
Damn. That's good. Did you go to Neshaminy? ;)

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT