ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Nassib

jrl5019

Jul 24, 2008
Carl Nassib comes out as being gay. Said a decision he has agonized over for the past 15 years. Interesting to see the reaction around the NFL. Other than Michael Sam during the draft process I can’t remember any active players coming out.

Awesome....On one hand, I don't care. If someone loves cumquats that is their business and means zero to me. On the other hand, I understand that coming out as a celebrity makes it easier for other people to deal with being gay. I've always been a big fan and hope his football career continues (and he's a good investor!).

I recall Elen DeGenerais coming out and she had a horrible story. She was on a date with a man that went really bad and she was watching TV sorting through her feelings. She then realized she was gay. With that realization was the destruction of all she had ever dreamed about: husband, dog, two kids, house with white picket fence, etc. it turned out for her. but I can certainly understand how scary it must be and I hope CN is good with it all.

Carl Nassib comes out as being gay. Said a decision he has agonized over for the past 15 years. Interesting to see the reaction around the NFL. Other than Michael Sam during the draft process I can’t remember any active players coming out.
Good for him! Was one of my favorites from the post-sanction years. Worked his way up from walk on to the NFL.

He's the first active. PSU now has the first NBA and the first NFL (and an openly homophobic ex-HC)

Reactions: odshowtime
Someday, hopefully soon, we won’t have to applaud someone as being brave for stating they’re gay. That said, I wish Carl nothing but the best. It couldn’t have been easy for him to make this statement, especially as an active pro football player.

I realize this is now a minority view here and everywhere, but I don't understand the popular compulsion these days for a person -- gay, straight, or some variety in-between -- to advertise their sexual orientation. Are we supposed to care? Applaud? Fall all over ourselves telling him or her how wonderful and brave they are?

Count me out. I really don't want to know. Just play friggin' football and keep your sex life to yourself.

Let's not equate this with pulling up on the shores of Normandy getting your head blasted off. Literally cannot go anywhere without seeing rainbow flags, marches, logos and total corporate/media support on this issue these days. That said, I can imagine it has been hard many times for Carl. He will assuredly receive glowing praise, fawning interviews, incredible wealth/opportunity, legions of fans(and naysayers to be sure) and truly a special seat at the table with the elites. Challenging to come out in is sport specifically? Sure. the definition of true bravery? Coming out during pride month with millions in the bank and at the tail end of his career? I might hold my applause a bit. I'm happy he is happy, I sort of think that should be enough. Being gay in today's climate just wouldn't seem like a big deal if it wasn't front page news when anyone of stature came out. Seems like it is manufactured to be a big deal. Guy is Gay, he is happier that way, big deal? Bravery......a true accomplishment? A real revolutionary? I think not.

I realize this is now a minority view here and everywhere, but I don't understand the popular compulsion these days for a person -- gay, straight, or some variety in-between -- to advertise their sexual orientation. Are we supposed to care? Applaud? Fall all over ourselves telling him or her how wonderful and brave they are?

Count me out. I really don't want to know. Just play friggin' football and keep your sex life to yourself.
You’re right, Jerry. You don’t understand. But that doesn’t make you a bad person.

Keep your idiotic posts on the clown board.

Yeah, you'll get crushed for that. You can't simply suggest they just "be gay" you need to be affirming, you need to outwardly support their sexual preference. You need to be effusive about their true bravery. You need to link to articles about them on your LinkedIn page, you know, the one where your company is literally repping a rainbow pride month logo. You are all in on this.....or you are Homophobic. There are no "in-betweens" anymore on any issue. I find myself saying "good for Carl" which to me shows progress, to others, I guess I need be particularly loud and proud for him?

There’s a reason it’s a minority view. If his coming out helps others have the courage to do so in a sport where it’s not “cool”, then he should be applauded. Was Magic brave for coming out about having AIDS? Hell yes.

Sometimes you have to go public to stay private.

Let's not equate this with pulling up on the shores of Normandy getting your head blasted off. Literally cannot go anywhere without seeing rainbow flags, marches, logos and total corporate/media support on this issue these days. That said, I can imagine it has been hard many times for Carl. He will assuredly receive glowing praise, fawning interviews, incredible wealth/opportunity, legions of fans(and naysayers to be sure) and truly a special seat at the table with the elites. Challenging to come out in is sport specifically? Sure. the definition of true bravery? Coming out during pride month with millions in the bank and at the tail end of his career? I might hold my applause a bit. I'm happy he is happy, I sort of think that should be enough. Being gay in today's climate just wouldn't seem like a big deal if it wasn't front page news when anyone of stature came out. Seems like it is manufactured to be a big deal. Guy is Gay, he is happier that way, big deal? Bravery......a true accomplishment? A real revolutionary? I think not.
Bravery comes in many forms. Normandy isn’t the only measure of bravery.

I don't really care either but the courage Carl is showing isn't about him IMO. He's basically giving other young men a role model. If that helps a bunch of young men deal with their own lives, then good on Carl. I think it speaks to Carl recognizing that he has an opportunity to make a difference and the courage to take those steps.

And actually this isn't the most remarkable thing about Carl as an NFL guy at all. Neither is the walk on to NFL draftee story. It is Carl's ability to think long term financially and maintain a very modest budget to plan for his future. This seems more rare to me than a gay NFL player. There are probably plenty of gay guys in the NFL. There are very few with the financial discipline and vision of Carl.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/26/nfl-player-carl-nassibs-simple-rules-for-saving-money.html

Bravery comes in many forms. Normandy isn’t the only measure of bravery.
Of course not, I think I just might be a little more discretionary or have a different concept of bravery then some...and that's okay.

Reactions: Gnat91
I don't care what anyone does in the personal life but do you feel the same thing applies to players who talk about their wives?? Should they keep their hetero lives to themselves??
I follow your thinking, but talking about your wife doesn’t take courage.

When young men and women commit or attempt suicide at alarming rates due to being gay, seeing that there are succesful people "at the top" with the same orientation is important.

Not understanding the importance of such tells me that you are most likely not part of a margenalized community.

Of course not, I think I just might be a little more discretionary or have a different concept of bravery then some...and that's okay.
Why be discretionary? Bravery is bravery in all its forms. You can applaud them all, you don’t have to be selective in your appreciation for someone doing the right thing.

Reactions: OhHello
Why be discretionary? Bravery is bravery in all its forms. You can applaud them all, you don’t have to be selective in your appreciation for someone doing the right thing.

Well you're suggesting the "right thing" is decided. Decided by whom? The right thing is making a big pronouncement of your sexual orientation? That is fine if you think that is the right thing, the noble thing, the Brave thing, I am just not sure I do.

I am happy Carl's happy. If for some reason Carl coming out publicly means other struggling individuals from all walks of life find inspiration, great. I just don't really term it "brave" in this climate personally. The WR from buffalo went on an anti-vax rant the other day, he really spoke about his feelings in not getting the vaccine etc. Is he also brave? Was he doing the "right thing?" I don't know.

ADVERTISEMENT