ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament -- Session 4 Thread – FINALS + Medal Round!!

Paris' 1st stall call was pushing OB, no? Carried and pushed out. Simply not called consistently

Nope, Paris' first Stall Call was when he backed straight back off the mat instead of engaging/wrestling Kerk who was squarely in front of him. It was a good call as Paris choose to flee the mat rather than wrestle.

Reactions: Zukovski
Just my opinion, but the difference in the Kerk/Paris match was "gas tank" for a 2nd time in a row.

I don’t think intensity is the issue. He just doesn’t have any idea of what to do with Parris. Parris is the only guy with the mix of size and athleticism that Greg just can’t out athlete him. So he ends up taking some sloppy shots that may convert on a lesser wrestler/athlete.
Totally disagree. He's already beaten him. He's every bit as big, and I believe taller than Paris, yet never pushes the action. I have always doubted his fire, and it showed again today. He's also a better athlete. He has a mental issue regarding aggressiveness. He needs to be aggressive. It's that simple.

He needs to be like a true freshman, Levi Hanes, and go for it. He lacks confidence and aggressiveness.

Just my opinion, but the difference in the Kerk/Paris match was "gas tank" for a 2nd time in a row.
I also think PSU wrestlers sometimes play it close to the vest at Big Tens, especially when likely to see the same wrestler in two weeks on Saturday night. Always thought VJ played it close to his vest against Imar at Big Tens and then let it rip much more at NCAAs. This is the warmup (a good one), but the big dance is in two weeks. They'll be ready.

Two wrestled above seed. One of them was a 2-seed. That’s hard to do.

Three wrestled below seed. That’s easy to do from the 1-seed, which one was, and we had a 2-seed take 3rd - also easy to do. Yes we had a 4-seed place 7th. Whooptedo.

It was a solid performance. The history of performances at NCAAs vs Big Tens bodes well.

In Cael’s 9 NCAA championship seasons, the average points scored at Big Tens is 145.2. They scored 147.0 today.

Every Cael-coached PSU team that has scored 130 or more points at Big Tens has won NCAAs.
The voice of reason!!!

Reactions: dsites52 and mcpat
Totally disagree. He's already beaten him. He's every bit as big, and I believe taller than Paris, yet never pushes the action. I have always doubted his fire, and it showed again today. He's also a better athlete. He has a mental issue regarding aggressiveness. He needs to be aggressive. It's that simple.

He needs to be like a true freshman, Levi Hanes, and go for it. He lacks confidence and aggressiveness.
he went for it in the dual, and Paris just overwhelmed him

Not sure I agree. One of the things you're seeing early is Kerk trying to regulate his energy usage. Biggest difference in last two matches was Paris taking match to 3rd period with a very close score.... and his better gas tank prevailed each of the last 2 meetings.

To the contrary, it was an excellent match. Probably the sickest dump (Parris), sickest stand-to-escape (Kerk), and sickest sit-out escape (Kerk) you’ll see at 285.

Both guys are really good. Enjoy this athleticism at Heavy while you can.
No, the stall calls were a joke. The wrestling was average at best. Mason Paris is never going to do anything on the world stage. He's no Kyle Snyder. He isn't remotely close.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
I think people mistake analysis for poo pooing. (Almost) everybody is happy with the team in winning. But this is a message board for wrestling. We can break down a match or a situation without insinuating that someone stinks or crapping on them.

Greg rules. He’s a great wrestler and seemingly a good dude. He also has things he can improve and likely will need to improve to reach his goals.
Absolutely. My point is that Steen is too small and I've made that point all season. Beau didn't quite wrestle to seed BUT I think he is close...real close. Facundo wrestled poorly yesterday and today he looked much more like himself. I felt overall we didn't perform quite as well as we have but 7 of our guys either were lights out or damn close. My feeling was we needed more because it was beyond aggravation hoe everything kept falling iowas way and allow Me to add we got screwed blind by these big ten refs all weekend long save the stall on Parris. Cael was all over those refs all the time so before you little sewing circle sorority girls jump on me for criticism of the officials know that for a fact ...it's on tape.

That first shot was all we needed to know. Getting caught underneath is a real concern. Hopefully it can be overcome March 18th
Kerk just can't create the angle needed to get to the leg, so he takes bad straight on shots. Unless he catches Parris flat footed or off balance he will never score on those. He's got 2 weeks and the best upper weight coaches to figure out an attack.

Kerk just can't create the angle needed to get to the leg, so he takes bad straight on shots. Unless he catches Parris flat footed or off balance he will never score on those. He's got 2 weeks and the best upper weight coaches to figure out an attack.
Bingo. We have a winner. The staff was yelling to get to an angle the whole match. Again...like I said, Greg has a left hand tie that worked on Masons injured arm last year and 2 straight matches he has wasted 4 minutes each match trying to get something that isn't there... we have 12 days to get something else ready...and we will do just that.

It’s on record multiple times that Parris was wrestling with an injury that significantly hampered him last year. Not sure you can put much stock at all into those results.

Reactions: PAHURDLER
Well, ok then.
Because you said so. 🙄
No, not because I said so, it's simply my opinion. I don't know how anyone believes that was a great match. 90% of the time, neither wrestler did anything.

It’s on record multiple times that Parris was wrestling with an injury that significantly hampered him last year. Not sure you can put much stock at all into those results.
I don't disagree. I put this squarely on Kerk.

To beat Mason Greg has to take him into deep waters like Cass does...chain wrestling and get away from tendencies.

Straight up, I didn't believe any of this match was legit the moment Mason got that first stall call. Then he got the second. I was like, wtf is going on here? Yiu cannot ref a match like this when the entire weekend was exactly the opposite.

Straight up, I didn't believe any of this match was legit the moment Mason got that first stall call. Then he got the second. I was like, wtf is going on here? Yiu cannot ref a match like this when the entire weekend was exactly the opposite.
Do you ever enjoy a match? Or a tournament? It seems you get the most enjoyment from complaining about how stalling gets called. Unless the same ref is officiating ever single match the stall calls are going to be inconsistent. It’s the way it is. If it’s so bad and you get this upset, you may just want to stop watching.

He doesn't use his size to his advantage when he's on his feet. He should be on the head more creating down pressure. He would benefit for being more physical as match progresses.

Reactions: PAgeologist
The is such a dumb comment. He’s a world champion!!! He beat Zare. At least know what you are talking about if you are going to say such dumb shit
I do know what I'm talking about. That was Juniors. There's a boatload of junior world champions that never take the next step. There's a boatload of National Champions that never get past team level.

No, not because I said so, it's simply my opinion. I don't know how anyone believes that was a great match. 90% of the time, neither wrestler did anything.
My opinion is that you don’t really know what you are looking at . . . which would be fine if not for the authoritative delivery. Trust me, there was a lot going on in that match between two excellent athletes. Part of the fun is the chess match . . . and then there are the explosive, perfectly executed moves I already mentioned.

I’m old enough to remember what 285 used to look like.

Reactions: hlstone and tikk10
Do you ever enjoy a match? Or a tournament? It seems you get the most enjoyment from complaining about how stalling gets called. Unless the same ref is officiating ever single match the stall calls are going to be inconsistent. It’s the way it is. If it’s so bad and you get this upset, you may just want to stop watching.
What the hell are you talking about? I supported Paris. The calls were absolute nonsense.

My opinion is that you don’t really know what you are looking at . . . which would be fine if not for the authoritative delivery. Trust me, there was a lot going on in that match between two excellent athletes. Part of the fun is the chess match . . . and then there are the explosive, perfectly executed moves I already mentioned.

I’m old enough to remember what 285 used to look like.

That’s what I’m talking about. Your incessant need to bitch about the officiating.
Incessant? 2 matches. The joke yesterday, and Mason getting calls against him. A wrestler from Michigan. Incessant? I specifically said, the calls against Mason were ridiculous. They were. 5 minutes of riding time yesterday, and one stall call. That's incessant. Really?

Incessant? 2 matches. The joke yesterday, and Mason getting calls against him. A wrestler from Michigan. Incessant? I specifically said, the calls against Mason were ridiculous. They were. 5 minutes of riding time yesterday, and one stall call. That's incessant. Really?
So you have never complained about officiating prior to today?

Not smart wrestling. Didnt mean to say he's dumb.
Kerk got taken down in the first. Got him a little tired to get out. Then had to use energy again in the 2nd to get out again. IMO I think that was the match. Need energy to get a take down vs Parris. You use lots of energy at 285 when on bottom. 2 weeks hopefully a good game plan with a different story.

Maybe it’s just your tone. You seem very angry in your posting.
No, it's not my tone. If you saw my earlier posts, you would know that. It's this simple, there is no consistency in folkstyle wrestling. As a Penn Stater, I called bs on the stall calls on Mason. I don't know how one can get more fair than that. They were nonsense, and none were called like that all weekend. Fact is, Kerk got points from that.

I simply want consistency as do most folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT