ADVERTISEMENT

Army West Point Invite Thread

I believe those scores include ALL participants, not just “10 scorers”... so I’m not sure it’s apples to apple comparison. o_O
Given that the Army squad (the entire squad, not just top scorers per weight) scored 132 from just placement points, I would consider your hypothesis to be highly unlikely.

Reactions: Dogwelder
You’ve got a real hard on about this. 4 tweets on your feed. We brought 5 starters.
Yeah, busted. But just to clarify, it's one thing to bury the team scoring into the fourth paragraph, but to use the term "dominating" when you didn't win the event is, and not even mention that the team score exists is, to say the least, disingenuous. Imagine if Indiana didn't even mention the fact that they lost 34-27 in their press release of Saturday's football game, and instead talked about how "dominating" the performance was. You'd find it pretty disrespectful as a Penn State fan, right?

Last edited:
At this stage of the game, there were likely be 0 points at NCAAs from either 125 or 197 (barring the Beard). 149 might garner 2 to 4 points (although there is room for improvement). 157 and 184 are still open questions. Both have the potential for AA points, but injury issues are still a big contingency.

Looks like 5 guys really have to score some major points: Hall, Joseph, Cassar, Lee and RBY.

I’m old enough to remember when PSU won NCAAs with only 6 scoring wrestlers.
Yeah, busted. But just to clarify, it's one thing to bury the team scoring into the fourth paragraph, but to use the term "dominating" when you didn't win the event is, and not even mention that the team score exists is, to say the least, disingenuous. Imagine if Indiana didn't even mention the fact that they lost 34-27 in their press release of Saturday's football game, and instead talked about how "dominating" the performance was. You'd find it pretty disrespectful as a Penn State fan, right?

Welp.
Looks like Army is the new #1 tourney team in the next rankings. :eek:

Totally different sports and events. I get the point - proper reportage could have reported the score and then explained why it was what it was (I.e. we brought half our starters).

That said - not quite worth a congressional hearing or rending of garments

I’m old enough to remember when PSU won NCAAs with only 5 scoring wrestlers.

Welp.
Looks like Army is the new #1 tourney team in the next rankings. :eek:
HA!

Fortunately, tournament rankings (done right) are on a component basis, not a results basis. I highly doubt Army West Point will be leapfrogging you guys, either tomorrow or in the near future.

Reactions: diggerpup
Totally different sports and events. I get the point - proper reportage could have reported the score and then explained why it was what it was (I.e. we brought half our starters).

That said - not quite worth a congressional hearing or rending of garments
Well, to not have said proper reporting, and to also not have a link to the brackets anywhere on your website, is not appropriate in my opinion. Maybe my opinion is wrong...wouldn't be the first time, much like ItalianLion.

Conel:

1). By all accounts a great teammate, a compelling story, and a might just give Beard the year he needs to be over the top elite.
2). A year and a half removed from competition is a long time
3). Cael "we're helping him manage his weight" might just convey he came in out of shape and is likely still feeling the effects of a pretty big cut
4). He did catch lighting in a bottle 2 years ago, but otherwise did not have a long track record of AA quality wrestling. Was it a fluke?
5). Will most likely develop and take strides in our room practicing with Cael, Bo, Cassar and Beard

What it means to me:

We need to give Conel a pretty long rope to get back in to tournament shape, but I think we need AA level proficiency for both the Iowa dual and Nationals. The Conel we saw in the dual and this tourney is not worth keeping Beard on redshirt, but it is way too early to tell what he can deliver 2 months from now.

I think Cael gives him until the first week of January to get there and Kyle is probably 50/50 or better at succeeding. I like the kid and hope he does.

In the mean time, Beard needs to learn how to defend Ballsack's double boots and build a stronger gas tank. That match was just plain ugly. Beard is aces on his feet, but his underneath game that one match was uninspiring for sure. I would like for him to have another year to work on it rather than another month.

My crystal ball,.... if we have injury anywhere amongst our top 5 I think Beard's shirt gets pulled in January, otherwise Conel will improve enough to deliver at least a low AA, which should be good enough.

Conel:

1). By all accounts a great teammate, a compelling story, and a might just give Beard the year he needs to be over the top elite.
2). A year and a half removed from competition is a long time
3). Cael "we're helping him manage his weight" might just convey he came in out of shape and is likely still feeling the effects of a pretty big cut
4). He did catch lighting in a bottle 2 years ago, but otherwise did not have a long track record of AA quality wrestling. Was it a fluke?
5). Will most likely develop and take strides in our room practicing with Cael, Bo, Cassar and Beard

What it means to me:

We need to give Conel a pretty long rope to get back in to tournament shape, but I think we need AA level proficiency for both the Iowa dual and Nationals. The Conel we saw in the dual and this tourney is not worth keeping Beard on redshirt, but it is way too early to tell what he can deliver 2 months from now.

I think Cael gives him until the first week of January to get there and Kyle is probably 50/50 or better at succeeding. I like the kid and hope he does.

In the mean time, Beard needs to learn how to defend Ballsack's double boots and build a stronger gas tank. That match was just plain ugly. Beard is aces on his feet, but his underneath game that one match was uninspiring for sure. I would like for him to have another year to work on it rather than another month.

My crystal ball,.... if we have injury anywhere amongst our top 5 I think Beard's shirt gets pulled in January, otherwise Conel will improve enough to deliver at least a low AA, which should be good enough.
I don't know he seems to have a very long way to go, these shoulder surgery take a long time to heal just ask Gregory Polanco . Another point if Cael doesn't pull a shirt this year he could have as many as 7 freshman in the lineup next year Howard, bartlett, Lee ,Starucci, Brooks Beard and Nevils that's a lot of guys in the same year ,might want to break that up.

You should get in touch with Jammies peoples and get them some Tee's made up..

Last edited:
Answer the phone!!!!!

(Inside joke for those watching on flo)

One more edit on this stupid post. Turns out it was my daughter's friends phone. I simply didn't recognize the ring. I assumed it was the flo broadcast.

Mark Hall dominates for the win! Please continue with your regularly scheduled program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT