ADVERTISEMENT

2024 B1Gs - Day 2

I was not discussing concussion protocols.
I have discussed that in past, including the commonly used protocols, and those are in the hands of the medical people. I did comment that I didn't think they were handled correctly in some situations, but it had nothing to do with the coaches. I just didn't think the medical personnel did the appropriate evaluation.

Reactions: goldenanimal
So why would hundreds of his supporters show up expecting him to wrestle..... only to be treated to two Forfeits??? Why would Carter be pissed if he was told this was going to be the way it was??? Why would Carter leave College Park and not be there for the remainder of Tournament and trophy presentation??? Given how this has played out, it's rather ridiculous to claim that Carter was not led to believe he would be allowed to compete.
And, thus, he’s justified in quitting on his team.

Not really. Coaches change minds all the time.

You all are really taking this too seriously. A guy got his feelings hurt and is pouting. Whether he comes back or doesn’t come back only impacts him from here on out.
I agree with your assessment. Furthermore, as the emotions of the moment subside and his teammates talk with him, he will realize that his judgment was impaired by emotion if he in fact said he was done wrestling at PSU.

I predict things will blow over in the next few days. If not, he will regret ending his career on this note.

Ayala vs Davis for seeding

H2H Ayala 25
RPI Ayala 10
Coaches Rank Ayala 10
Conference placement Davis 15
Win % Davis 10
Results against common TBD
Quality wins TBD

Not saying Ayala will be seeded higher but it will be close.

The coaches ranking will most likely flip

I would question this statement. Team physicians dictate concussion returns. Currently an ex football team doctor is suing James Franklin and Penn State for not following proper procedure.
I think Cael looked at the big picture and Carter was living for the moment.
I believe if this past weekend was NCAAs Carter wrestles and Cael would of had no issue with that.
Even if the team doc cleared Carter, Cael still has ultimate say. They can not over rule each other.

Ultimately this is a big picture issue. A BIG title is nice, but 4X NCAA champ is legendary.

The question should be "who tests the water in Erie?"

giphy.gif

Hard to believe this thread regarding Carter is still going. It's up to the athlete? That's laughable. Who's running the program now? The athletes? No. Cael has the final word. Some of y'all act like coaches don't sit players.

IMO, no way in hell does Carter walk away. If he does, it might be the worst decision I've ever seen an athlete make. However, it's his decision. It will also change how people view him in the wrestling and PSU world forever.

Hard to believe this thread regarding Carter is still going. It's up to the athlete? That's laughable. Who's running the program now? The athletes? No. Cael has the final word. Some of y'all act like coaches don't sit players.

IMO, no way in hell does Carter walk away. If he does, it might be the worst decision I've ever seen an athlete make. However, it's his decision. It will also change how people view him in the wrestling and PSU world forever.
Exactly right. There is zero upside to Carter's current stance, both short term and long term. It's a decision I might have made at 21 too in the heat of the moment so I cut some slack, and hopefully Cael will too. That isn't a given though. Cael must retain control while negotiating with Carter. Carter is going to need to bend here, and not the other way around.

That was awesome. Mitchell put up 36 points against 2 of the top 165s on back to back matches, and gets a ‘How do you do’ from Byers. 🥳

I've seen it three times now and it's remarkable how good Hamiti looked early (through 2) and how thoroughly broken he was after the final takedown and back points. Aside from the fact that it's so fun for the PSU fans, that was really a big training moment for Mesenbrink as well.

I've seen it three times now and it's remarkable how good Hamiti looked early (through 2) and how thoroughly broken he was after the final takedown and back points. Aside from the fact that it's so fun for the PSU fans, that was really a big training moment for Mesenbrink as well.
Yeah, although Hamiti gave up a takedown in the last few seconds of the 2nd period that may have indicated he was getting low on gas.

My thought as well. He gave up that TD way too easy and without a lot of fight for being so close to the end of the period. His last burst of energy was used on the reversal and then he was cooked.
and….he can’t train into that kind of pace in 10 days. None of them can. Many tried vs Nolf and Taylor. Some even bragged they could.

and….he can’t train into that kind of pace in 10 days. None of them can. Many tried vs Nolf and Taylor. Some even bragged they could.
I think it's well known by now that pace is a big issue when wrestling MM. Guys like KOT are going to want to get into hand fighting and tieups to drain the clock. Only the very best can actually succeed in doing that, and they also have to be great defensively. Basically they need to change their name to Kyle Dake.

Reactions: dicemen99
He should have never tried to roll. Gave up 3 NF and didn’t need too.
Still would have been 11-10 Hamiti (12-10 after MM would have cut him) with MM getting the last 2 TDs (kinda 3 if you count the reversal) in relatively quick fashion with over a minute left.

Hamiti blew the match when he gave up an escape and a TD with under 15 seconds to go in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd, he was done. He MAY have been able to hold on if he was up 9-3 going into that period. At 9-6, it was just a matter of time.

I'm with Cael. nice job balancing team goals and individual goals. Winning the BIGS was never in doubt. Carter's points weren't needed, rest your horse for the big show. Who in the 174 bracket did he have to man up too. To Carter, go wrestle in KC and get your forth.
The only thing that would throw a kink in things would be if Carter was a healthy scratch in KC. that would get things going on this board.

My son was getting worried as the second period clock ticked. I told him to be patient because Hamiti couldn’t keep MM’s pace the whole match. I should remind my boy dear old dad is right every once in a while. 🤔 😉

That's a thing that takes, quite literally, years to develop. Just like no one steps onto the 400m oval and starts knocking out 57 second laps en route to a 3:48 mile, it takes a long, long time to build a motor like Mesenbrink's that can just fire off attacks and motion like that for 7 minutes. Many never will be able to, simply because their genetic limitations (plus weight cut) don't allow it.

Very impressive.

Couple of thoughts:
- strange not seeing Bonnie.. did anyone? Hope she is well.
- MM - I called it with the backpoints (whoever giveths will lose)
- Davis is a lot of fun. Interview was OK... he just doesn't 'care' :)
- I think a lot of our guys are 60-40 or 70-30 favored to win with the best in the country. Obviously the best wrestler in the bldg, Brooks is a 'next question'.
- I like revenge matches - Tyler's was very enjoyable over Iowa.
- When was the last time Iowa did not finish in the top 3?
- I thought we got 'burned' by really slick moves against Beau and Bernie. Hat's off!
- UMD was filled by PSU fans
- I'm too old for 2nd level viewing :)
- Broken record but cannot stand the inconsistencies of stalling being called. I saw it apply to fleeing the mat - in a hold or being held, push-outs, pull-outs, top, bottom, etc. Just crazy. Same behavior in the 1st period doesn't warrant a call but the 3rd does. I think the ref's need to not track the score (I know they aren't supposed to). Maybe we do need the FS rules, but I don't like the brute force of pushing people out. Interesting with all the hand fighting on the mat when one or the other is called. In that case it looked like they took turns (Kerk)... oh well.
- Brick throws. Ridiculous... you all probably saw what I did... However, if there is going to be challenges then we need to support them so they don't take as long.
- Let's get Starr healthy and make another run!
- UMD was only a couple of hours away, but I got reminded of hating traffic quickly.

Not really. Coaches change minds all the time.

You all are really taking this too seriously. A guy got his feelings hurt and is pouting. Whether he comes back or doesn’t come back only impacts him from here on out.
LOL only Carter knows his health and Cael does do things a little diff than most Carter said he was healthy then I am sure he could wrestle!Would have liked to been on the room when Cael told him!

Reactions: donboy6499
my high school head coach never ask is anyone was healthy if we had a match and you could walk you were wrestling no one complained but then that was back in the day!

Reactions: donboy6499
I'm with Cael. nice job balancing team goals and individual goals. Winning the BIGS was never in doubt. Carter's points weren't needed, rest your horse for the big show. Who in the 174 bracket did he have to man up too. To Carter, go wrestle in KC and get your forth.
The only thing that would throw a kink in things would be if Carter was a healthy scratch in KC. that would get things going on this board.
Not sure the issue is "was he healthy or wasn't he"? He clearly was ready to go and appeared to have been pulled at the last minute. Was that Cael, Medical, or PSU Admin? I'm guessing that Cael would have made the call a lot earlier than that...

LOL only Carter knows his health and Cael does do things a little diff than most Carter said he was healthy then I am sure he could wrestle!Would have liked to been on the room when Cael told him!
The least trustworthy guy in the conversation is the athlete. They will always say GO if they have a pulse.

Edit to add that I'm sure Cael and Carter have spoken by now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT