ADVERTISEMENT

2024 B1Gs - Day 2

you mean like Siriano??
Yes, the coaches bought time for Suriano to see if he could go by NCAAs, because Suriano thought he could. and he had earned that opportunity. Turns out he couldn’t go. There is no reason to believe that Carter won’t be healthy enough to wrestle in 2 weeks

Reactions: ccdiver
Hard to believe this thread regarding Carter is still going. It's up to the athlete? That's laughable. Who's running the program now? The athletes? No. Cael has the final word. Some of y'all act like coaches don't sit players.

IMO, no way in hell does Carter walk away. If he does, it might be the worst decision I've ever seen an athlete make. However, it's his decision. It will also change how people view him in the wrestling and PSU world forever.
I have to agree with you here. While Carter had every right to be upset if he truly believed that he was fit to compete, he has to know that the coaches did what they thought was best for his long-term prospects at Nationals and for competing freestyle this Spring.

If he had gone out there this weekend and reinjured himself everyone would be going apes*** over his participation in the event. Penn State is going to win nationals with or without Carter Starocci. I simply can't see Carter throwing away the chance to win 4 national titles over being upset over this weekend. That said it's his decision to live with one way or another. Personally, I'm going to focus on the great things he has already done in a Blue and White Singlet regardless of this year's outcome.

nothing wrong with that!!
Yes there is. That's precisely why roids and concussions have destroyed so many athletes. That's how a groin goes from 6 weeks to 6 months. How an MCL goes from a strain to tearing off the bone.

There's nothing to gain and risk by wrestling at the B1G's, and everything to gain and risk at the National Championship.

So in the 9 weights (ex-174) contested at B1Gs, we out-placed Iowa in all 9? And while 125 and 141 seedings may be close, we should be seeded ahead of them in all 10 at NCAAs?

Reactions: danoftw
Wow that's so weird that Gibbons said "anticipated the roll through" and "controlled breathing" along with "too much pace", in reference to Mesenbrink.

I could have sworn that Hamiti just totally dominated 90 percent of the match and then decided to"roll around", and THAT was why he lost.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hamiti is out for Nationals. He was limping pretty bad after the match and his left knee buckled as he walked away from the mat. Got a little help staying on his feet by the coaches.

The stall call on Haines didn’t make any more sense watching it on DVR than it did watching it live. Really unbelievable. Wonder which mat the ref was watching.
Didn't think that sprawling to avoid or defend a shot from the opponent (which is what Haines did when he got hit with the warning) is stalling. Not at all the same as backing up to avoid engagement.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
That's a thing that takes, quite literally, years to develop. Just like no one steps onto the 400m oval and starts knocking out 57 second laps en route to a 3:48 mile, it takes a long, long time to build a motor like Mesenbrink's that can just fire off attacks and motion like that for 7 minutes. Many never will be able to, simply because their genetic limitations (plus weight cut) don't allow it.

Very impressive.
the chappelle show tyrone biggums GIF

Pre-match meal to try to match MM's pace!

my high school head coach never ask is anyone was healthy if we had a match and you could walk you were wrestling no one complained but then that was back in the day!
That's when a concussion was just "getting your bell rung". Get the hell back in there!! :)

Yeah, although Hamiti gave up a takedown in the last few seconds of the 2nd period that may have indicated he was getting low on gas.
Agree. It’s funny how Tim Johnson was focusing on MM breathing heavy and being tired. He dropped a few comments during the bout…. things changed quickly as most of us expected, in regards to a momentum shift.

Yes, the coaches bought time for Suriano to see if he could go by NCAAs, because Suriano thought he could. and he had earned that opportunity. Turns out he couldn’t go. There is no reason to believe that Carter won’t be healthy enough to wrestle in 2 weeks
At that time we didn't have a backup 125 that could do anything anyway.

Reactions: Ski
I thought Kennedy was a weird hire... but boy has he paid off. Davis a big ten champ as a true frosh? Wow.

Reactions: zzs006
my high school head coach never ask is anyone was healthy if we had a match and you could walk you were wrestling no one complained but then that was back in the day!
That was then, this is now. Nowadays you'll have a kids parents right up your a$$. I saw it many times coaching, or should I say felt it. We live in different times my friend. My old coach used to beat the hell out of us, and my parents would say, GOOD FOR YA!! Nowadays, they just wanna sue ya, or the school or both. We Are.....

I just watched the replay of Bernie's match-why all the empty seats??

My guess -- Some just wanted to beat the traffic out and others were from teams that didn't have any wrestlers left in the tournament at that point and they booked.

Reactions: Dogwelder
My guess -- Some just wanted to beat the traffic out and others were from teams that didn't have any wrestlers left in the tournament at that point and they booked.
Pause at the very start of the match-entire empty sections in the background- maybe blocked off for some reason??

Reactions: hlstone
Pause at the very start of the match-entire empty sections in the background- maybe blocked off for some reason??
Those were seats that MD apparently saved for wrestlers during the tournament. If my memory serves me correctly, they were used during the semi-finals by a few but mainly empty the rest of the tournament.

Reactions: hlstone and Ski
a lot left after Brooks...

Not sure the issue is "was he healthy or wasn't he"? He clearly was ready to go and appeared to have been pulled at the last minute. Was that Cael, Medical, or PSU Admin? I'm guessing that Cael would have made the call a lot earlier than that...
Whoever Carter would have faced this past weekend surely would have gone out of their way to target his R leg/knee to take him out (ie, beat him). It's possible that was Cael's concern.

You make it sound like they held him out out of spite. If he was really healthy enough to wrestle they'd have let him, they had to see something that made them uncomfortable.
Maybe the Erie busload was there to see Van Dee? Actually though, unless they bought their
Big tickets before the Edinboro match, the Erie/Carter fans would have had a pretty good idea he wouldn't wrestle.

Agree. It’s funny how Tim Johnson was focusing on MM breathing heavy and being tired. He dropped a few comments during the bout…. things changed quickly as most of us expected, in regards to a momentum shift.
question about that: after MM was taken down early on, he took the down position and was breathing hard open-mouthed. I don't think that was heavy breathing per se, but a training tool to consciously regulate his energy/oxygen. Is that right?

question about that: after MM was taken down early on, he took the down position and was breathing hard open-mouthed. I don't think that was heavy breathing per se, but a training tool to consciously regulate his energy/oxygen. Is that right?
Askren today on Mitchell: "Gibbons is a fool, Mitchell LIVES in deep waters, he lives in a house under the sea"

Dave Schultz was not too good to learn from a high schooler (Kolat). Mitchell Mesenbrink is not too good to learn from childbirth class. 🫄

I think that’s right, and he may have even mentioned that in one of his post match interviews. He seems like a very deliberate and cerebral tactician.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT