ADVERTISEMENT

29-4 at BIGs

Pennstate1985

Mar 14, 2016
That was PSU's record at B1Gs this past weekend not counting the two MFF. Has any other team in history ever had a more dominant B1Gs than the 2024 Penn State team?

I hope to see the same next week.

I corrected my statement. Was 1983, but I think Gable was cheating back then ;)
Speaking of cheating - here’s some Buckeye coping (editor’s note - this guy’s team is coached by a blockhead):

I think this thread is looking to bring out the negative to Ohio State.

I would say that if you look at us vs the other top programs, the boards are all the same. How do we catch Penn state. Why are they so much better and on and on.

We have held serve during the Sanderson era and that is a big deal. I think Penn State has been guilty of pushing the rules around athlete’s compensation before NIL by using promises of financial help from the NLRTC after competing. NIL leveled the playing field but it takes time to adjust.

Secondly, Coach Ryan secured the best training facility in the country that will benefit our team for the next 50 years. We don’t have to worry if the sport will be cut or if we have good facilities for recruiting.

Lastly, there are some technical issues with being a Gable alum. Hand fighting is overemphasized at the cost of mat wrestling which has plagued the Buckeyes for a long time.

All in all, we are witnessing a special time with wrestling right now with Penn state. This has happened before with Oklahoma State and Iowa and maybe the seeds are being planted for us to have a dynasty run. It might take 10 years to get there.

Last thing I would mention is that there continues to be some rumors of some advantage by Penn state that could fall under the ped category. In an individual sport as old as wrestling, the outperformance by conditioning seems to favor Penn state differently than all other programs. They never tire yet seem to play a lot of dodgeball. Is this a lance armstrong story 10 years from now? Who knows, but given the history around the financial skirting of the rules, nothing would surprise me.

Speaking of cheating - here’s some Buckeye coping (editor’s note - this guy’s team is coached by a blockhead):

I would say that if you look at us vs the other top programs, the boards are all the same. How do we catch Penn state. Why are they so much better and on and on.

We have held serve during the Sanderson era and that is a big deal. I think Penn State has been guilty of pushing the rules around athlete’s compensation before NIL by using promises of financial help from the NLRTC after competing. NIL leveled the playing field but it takes time to adjust.

Secondly, Coach Ryan secured the best training facility in the country that will benefit our team for the next 50 years. We don’t have to worry if the sport will be cut or if we have good facilities for recruiting.

Lastly, there are some technical issues with being a Gable alum. Hand fighting is overemphasized at the cost of mat wrestling which has plagued the Buckeyes for a long time.

All in all, we are witnessing a special time with wrestling right now with Penn state. This has happened before with Oklahoma State and Iowa and maybe the seeds are being planted for us to have a dynasty run. It might take 10 years to get there.

Last thing I would mention is that there continues to be some rumors of some advantage by Penn state that could fall under the ped category. In an individual sport as old as wrestling, the outperformance by conditioning seems to favor Penn state differently than all other programs. They never tire yet seem to play a lot of dodgeball. Is this a lance armstrong story 10 years from now? Who knows, but given the history around the financial skirting of the rules, nothing would surprise me.
He could have shortened all that by just saying the moon landings were fake. That's some denial right there.

Is this a lance armstrong story 10 years from now? Who knows, but given the history around the financial skirting of the rules, nothing would surprise me.
I can think of one thing that would surprise him: that his allegations are looney tunes.

wow you must read a lot of iowa trash!!

Perhaps he should check out the PED use in HS via You Tube. That’s where could see David Taylor’s motor running long before he got here, and anyone else’s for that matter. Next up on that now that Mesenbrink has been exposed for motoring too long: Joe Sealy.

I hate how little we wrestle because I selfishly want to see more….

….but if dodgeball and less wrestling leads to 7(8) finalists and 2 Thursday placers….im all for being fresh.

PED’s. If Braeden shows up Thursday with a caterpillar on his upper lip….then I’ll be worried. Otherwise he can just continue immasculating the oldsters.

Reactions: funkisfun12
Great read and bookmarked. I figured if Carter had gone out there, PSU might have ended up with 194 points, which would have been half a dozen behind Iowa's 1983 team, which had 200 points. As it was, with just 9 wrestlers, we had the 5th highest point total ever, and the best since the 2002 Minnesota team. Was the point system different in the 80's? If not, 200 is miraculous.

Reactions: Bosox2004 and mcpat
Great read and bookmarked. I figured if Carter had gone out there, PSU might have ended up with 194 points, which would have been half a dozen behind Iowa's 1983 team, which had 200 points. As it was, with just 9 wrestlers, we had the 5th highest point total ever, and the best since the 2002 Minnesota team. Was the point system different in the 80's? If not, 200 is miraculous.
In 1983 there would have been 4 less teams in the conference also. My guess is no byes and perhaps different points awarded.

In 1983 there would have been 4 less teams in the conference also. My guess is no byes and perhaps different points awarded.
Assuming Carter had wrestled and PSU had gotten 194 points, their total would have been ~18% of the total points awarded. In 1983, Iowa garnered 28% of the points awarded. I guess that screams a lack of parity in the conference back then, or as some would say, parody. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: NitFan53
The big thing about the B1G performance was how much nearly everyone did themselves favors with regard to NCAAs seeding. Bartlett slipped but not to the degree that it matters. Starocci will drop but he could go wire-to-wire bonus from the pigtail slot if he had to. Nagao and Kasak could have relatively tough second round matchups, they each should still be favored. If Penn State loses even one match on day one, it will be an upset from a lower or effectively equal (e.g., 8 vs 9) seed--an undefeated Thursday is realistic. Undefeated through three rounds would likely require a (seeding) upset by Nagauo, Kasak, and Truax and obviously all are capable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT