ADVERTISEMENT

2024 B1Gs - Day 2

Also Askren on Mitchell today: "Even IF Hamiti doesn't go to his back, Mitchell would have taken him down at least 2 or 3 more times in the last minute. And Hamiti didn't roll on his back, Mitchell sent him there."

This is devastating news to GIA of course, who obviously was wrong.

I saw that heavy breathing especially while in down position to begin the 2nd period and thought he looked like was hyper-ventilating, like he couldnt get his breath. Have to admit I thought he was doomed at that point.
He clearly was more tired than we have ever seen him. Tho he kept coming his shots were never crisp after the first. But they did keep coming,

I saw that heavy breathing especially while in down position to begin the 2nd period and thought he looked like was hyper-ventilating, like he couldnt get his breath. Have to admit I thought he was doomed at that point.
He clearly was more tired than we have ever seen him. Tho he kept coming his shots were never crisp after the first. But they did keep coming,
Watch Askren in FRL today. Just ff to the place where he explains it.

Reactions: Ski
Mongoose's activity level always reminds me of Matt Hendricks taking a penalty shot...

Wonder if MM got the wind knocked out of him a little. Cause he seemed to turn that around in the second and third periods.

It was the Iowa section.
@victorNit1 sets them up, @82bordeaux

AmzDIgJ.gif

Winded =/= gassed.

Gassed, to me, is my body beginning to shut down.

Winded just means that I'm breathing really, really hard. In a really well developed cardiovascular system, like Mitchell obviously has, he can go at that rate of high exertion for a long, long time without producing enough waste in his muscles to result in degraded performance. Basically, he's trained his body to remove and process those byproducts of aerobic respiration at a very high rate.

A while back, DT mentioned doing an FTP test on his bike. I was kind of surprised that it was as low as it was, given his size and the fact that he crushes a lot of his opponents with his activity level. It would be interesting to see how Mitchell would do at the same test. I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher in terms of both watts/kg as well as raw wattage.

There was a match at the Black Knight Invitational where MM seemed to have an issue with his breath like he was hyperventilating. Like yesterday, he was able to regulate it during the match.

Reactions: wrestlinPSU
His shots were crisper than Hamiti’s defense. 😉
Holy jumping Jesus h Christ. We just watched this man make one of the most amazing comeback wins in NCAA history and completely break one of the best 4 wrestlers in the nation in the third period and you guys want to nitpick about "crisp shots" in the third?

Unreal

Reactions: dbldoofus
There was a match at the Black Knight Invitational where MM seemed to have an issue with his breath like he was hyperventilating. Like yesterday, he was able to regulate it during the match.
He motioned to the coaches at one point and pointed to his stomach like he got the wind knocked out of him I thought. Could be wrong

Holy jumping Jesus h Christ. We just watched this man make one of the most amazing comeback wins in NCAA history and completely break one of the best 4 wrestlers in the nation in the third period and you guys want to nitpick about "crisp shots" in the third?

Unreal
He got the ultimate compliment from Mrs. Ozark, who is usually around while I'm watch wrestling (which is most of the time) but generally more involved with something else. My excitement got her to look up from the videos she was watching on her phone to say, "Holy crap, is he really going to come back!?" And then get exceedingly more excited! She loves watching in person, at least when our son is on the mat, but like I said in another thread, not so much that she wanted to spend her birthday weekend at OTTs with me and the boy! Ha
Usually, she just says she likes AB because he "seems like a really sweet boy" and Davis because "he looks like a little boy competing against men."

Reactions: mcpat and royboy
Brooks looks terrific, better than ever.

I look forward to Nationals for him, but especially Olympic Trials.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Brooks get the best of DT; hate that one of the two will lose.

Brooks looks terrific, better than ever.

I look forward to Nationals for him, but especially Olympic Trials.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Brooks get the best of DT; hate that one of the two will lose.
Come on now. AB is ****ing incredible but he is beating the likes of Glazier while DT is beating Yazdani. There are levels to this. Think what DT would do to college kids. Not taking anything away from Aaron because he’s an all-timer but I will be shocked if he beats DT at trials. I do think he’s the only guy in the US that can keep it close though. DT was the best wrestler in the world last season and I think it continues through the Olympics

Come on now. AB is ****ing incredible but he is beating the likes of Glazier while DT is beating Yazdani. There are levels to this. Think what DT would do to college kids. Not taking anything away from Aaron because he’s an all-timer but I will be shocked if he beats DT at trials. I do think he’s the only guy in the US that can keep it close though. DT was the best wrestler in the world last season and I think it continues through the Olympics

That's what I thought as well. Personally, I think it would take a really off day for DT or a slip or something for Brooks to beat him at this point in time, but that takes nothing away from Brooks, who may be the second best 86KG guy in the world (Brooks-Yazdani is the one that I'd really like to see more than Brooks-Taylor (which we already have seen once)). David Taylor will retire after the Olympics and Aaron Brooks will become one of the new faces of USA wrestling.

Reactions: zzs006
I would question this statement. Team physicians dictate concussion returns. Currently an ex football team doctor is suing James Franklin and Penn State for not following proper procedure.
I think Cael looked at the big picture and Carter was living for the moment.
I believe if this past weekend was NCAAs Carter wrestles and Cael would of had no issue with that.
Below is quote on the trial against the school and Franklin. It was declared a mistrial yesterday. Dr. Lynch is plaintiff

"Lynch said the removal was retaliation for having complained about Franklin. According to a revised complaint filed in 2021, on "multiple and repeated occasions, Coach James Franklin attempted to interfere with the plaintiff's autonomous authority to determine medical management and return-to-play decisions related to student-athletes.""

PSU ends up with 170.5 points. Only 4 losses the entire weekend. That has to be a record. Non MFF of course.

If Carter had wrestled, I'm certain we would have ...

6 - 1st
2 - 2nd
2 - 3rd

That is an evenly balanced team right there!!
SIAP, Iowa scored 200 in 1983 (see below). There are at least 4 other years that Iowa beat 170, and at least one when Minnesota did it. That said, if Carter had wrestled we would have gotten closer; the max points is about 25 (if you pin everyone -- and have a bye in the first round).

In 1983 Iowa had 9 champions!

Correct. Isaw it as controlled deeper breathing.

Reactions: Ski
SIAP, Iowa scored 200 in 1983 (see below). There are at least 4 other years that Iowa beat 170, and at least one when Minnesota did it. That said, if Carter had wrestled we would have gotten closer; the max points is about 25 (if you pin everyone -- and have a bye in the first round).

In 1983 Iowa had 9 champions!
Yes, but last evening we determined that 1983 was pre-Rutgers and therefore an asterick has now been given to that record. I'm sure Iowa wrestled great but without the competition from a perennial top 10 team like Rutgers, it loses a lot of luster.

Yes, but last evening we determined that 1983 was pre-Rutgers and therefore an asterick has now been given to that record. I'm sure Iowa wrestled great but without the competition from a perennial top 10 team like Rutgers, it loses a lot of luster.
Well, and also that that domination was not bad for wrestling, but Cael’s is ruinous for wrestling

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT