ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAAs Session 4 (Fri Eve.) Thread

I think the only thing separating Greg from the top 5 or 6 is savvy, and mostly weight. He's simply too light at this point. Next year maybe if he can put on 15 or 20 pounds he can narrow the gap...not on Steveson, but on the other 5 or so ahead of him right now.

Reactions: Mcnulty7310
Those last two matches were a real downer. Kerkvliet has a ton of ability, but his folkstyle tactics aren't there yet. He has to learn you can't shoot straight on with these big guys and have all of that weight on you. We all knew his bottom wrestling was going to be lacking with his freestyle emphasis. The stall call and subsequent point for backing off the mat...inexcusable. A full year healing up and getting healthy, plus time in the room should fix his issues. Beard just looked gassed all day long. The stamina just doesn't seem to be there for a long tourney. Both kids scored us points though, which I'm grateful for and AA'd; Iowa didn't runaway with it today like some had thought.

On a separate note, I hope Brooks' ankle is OK. That's a heck of a thing to have the match in hand and then he tweaks the ankle in the last few seconds.

Reactions: Fatmarc
Ferrari reminds me of PD3...

Ya know...without the Bud heavies and water bongs.

Ferrari is great, but... we will be hearing for the next 12 months (from him) how he will be a 5x'er. That is until Braxton Amos takes him out next year. Book it, you heard it here first.

Reactions: Fatmarc
I think the only thing separating Greg from the top 5 or 6 is savvy, and mostly weight. He's simply too light at this point. Next year maybe if he can put on 15 or 20 pounds he can narrow the gap...not on Steveson, but on the other 5 or so ahead of him right now.
Id say it’s strength not weight. He’s probably heavier than Cassar was. Still impressive what he did coming off injury

GK v. Schultz (ASU)

Handfighting to begin, GK on a single, and TD 2-0. Schultz up and out, OOB, 2-1. GK shoots another single, fended off and countered, TD Schultz on the edge. 3-2, then OOB. 1:29 left. Restart and GK rolls puts pressure on Schultz and gets R2, 4-3. Schultz escapes, 4-4, :49. GL shoots for single again, countered and TD Schultz. 7-4. Missed a point somewhere?

Schultz takes bottom. Out quick, 8-4. GK shoots for another single, Schultz locked
on the waist, GK steps over leg, but Schultz get out then circles around for another TD. 10-4, Schultz. End of 2nd. 58 RT for Schultz.

GK ttaks bottom. GK out with 1:45 left. 10-5. Go shoots another singles and is able to finish for the TD. 10-7. Let's him up and back on it attack. SW Schultz, but he counters for a TD, 13-7. GK out, 13-8. With RT, 14-8, Schultz. GK will wrestle for 7th.
Didn't see Kerk's match, but sounds like there was a good bit of sloppiness.

3 teams still mathematically alive:

TeamPointsMaximum
Potential
(Rd of 12)
# Cons 5
(All Amer.)
# Cons Semi# 7th-8th
Team Standings
Iowa
109​
155.5​
5​
3​
4​
2​
3​
1​
Penn State
94.5​
124.5​
4​
4​
3​
2​
2​
Oklahoma State
86.5​
127​
3​
2​
4​
3​
3​
1​

Id say it’s strength not weight. He’s probably heavier than Cassar was. Still impressive what he did coming off injury
Agree but again comparing anyone to Cassar is somewhat difficult...Strength and weight should go hand in hand. Cassar was a unique freak in terms of strength

Gable is something else. Cassioppi is real good and he’s not even in the ballpark.
I don't know if Gable took a match off, if you can call it that, but he didn't seem to want anything to do with Kerk on their feet. He didn't show Cass the same respect.

A full size and healthy Kerk against Gable would be a fantastic match.

Those last two matches were a real downer. Kerkvliet has a ton of ability, but his folkstyle tactics aren't there yet. He has to learn you can't shoot straight on with these big guys and have all of that weight on you. We all knew his bottom wrestling was going to be lacking with his freestyle emphasis. The stall call and subsequent point for backing off the mat...inexcusable. A full year healing up and getting healthy, plus time in the room should fix his issues. Beard just looked gassed all day long. The stamina just doesn't seem to be there for a long tourney. Both kids scored us points though, which I'm grateful for and AA'd; Iowa didn't runaway with it today like some had thought.

On a separate note, I hope Brooks' ankle is OK. That's a heck of a thing to have the match in hand and then he tweaks the ankle in the last few seconds.
Considering Kerk was done for the year, what, 6 weeks ago? He’s gonna be fine.

Penn State guys will be slight underdogs in two of the finals (133 and 141).

A pretty big underdog in the 3rd (174).

And a slight favorite in the 4th (184).

Iowa will be super big favorites in 1 (125); a clear favorite in a second (174); and a slight favorite in a 3rd (141).

Be realistic; demand the impossible.

Kerk seems overwhelmed by the weight on top of him on the bottom... u can fix that....

PSUers wrestling on Saturday:

133 Final: RBY vs. Daton Fix (Okla. St.)

141 Final: Nick Lee vs. Jaydin Eierman (Iowa)

174 Final: Carter Starocci vs. Michael Kemerer (Iowa)

184 Final: Aaron Brooks vs. Trent Hidlay (North Carolina St.)

197 7th Place Match: Michael Beard vs. Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming)

285 7th Place Match: Greg Kerkvliet vs. Tate Orndorff (Ohio State)

my thoughts as well

I have been asking the how did he get passed by for football for the past 2 years. Sure he is in a class by himself in wrestling, but.....

Then again, all linemen need to be 300 lbs+ these days and most are 6' 4". Even if he gained to 280 on that frame he would be undersized. Maybe a linebacker? He is a pretty amazing athlete, but who knows if he is a sub 5.0 40 guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT