ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NCAAs Session 4 (Fri Eve.) Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
PSU looked good early on in Session 3A, but an injury to Berge and then Howard getting pinned (and possibly injured) took some of the shine off of the session. PSU then went 2-2 in Session 3B, so not an outstanding morning/afternoon, but a lot to be proud of.

Please use this for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussions. If you're replying to another post, please use the Quote function.

When:
Friday, March 19, 8 pm EDT

Where:
St. Louis, MO

TV:
ESPN

Video Stream:
EPSN3 -- they'll have coverage on all the mats (I'm not sure how many are being used in the session). You can watch multiple mats simultaneously on your computer, or watch only 1 mat -- you decide.

Audio Stream:
Jeff Byers's radio PBP will be streamed. The pre-session part of the show starts at 7:40 pm EDT, with the wrestling coverage at 8:00 pm EDT. You can access the audio stream at:

PBP:
I'll provide PBP for all of the matches involving PSU wrestlers, unless two of them are wrestling at the same time, where I'll provide full coverage on the one that starts first, and pick up with the other one when the 1st match is completed.

Team Scoring:
The best place, IMHO, to get updated team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club's web site. You can access the virtual team scoring at:

Mat Assignments:
I post upcoming PSU mat assignments as I learn of them. Others do as well; we try to help each other out during NCAAs. The best sources I have found for mat assignments in past Nationals were TrackWrestling (go to their dashboard) or the Twitter account of Penn State Wresting (@pennstateWREST).

Let's keep it going, PSU

Team score wise: you can probably pencil in Ok State as 2nd right now, they'll get 11 since Wittlake/Sheets gets MFF in the bloodrounds (think they're on Lewis/Berge's side)

Reactions: dsites52
PSU wrestlers competing in the session:

133 Semis: #2 seed RBY vs. #3 seed Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech)

141 Semis: #2 seed Nick Lee vs. #3 seed Sebastian Rivera (Rutgers)

157 Consolation R4: #12 seed Brady Berge vs. #33 seed Wyatt Sheets (Okla. St.)
(if Berge is able to go. Some serious doubts about that with how his quarterfinal match ended with an injury default)

174 Semis: #3 seed Carter Starocci vs. #2 seed Demetrius Romero (Utah Valley)

184 Semis: #1 seed Aaron Brooks vs. #4 seed Park Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)

197 Consolation R4: #15 seed Michael Beard vs. #13 seed Tanner Sloan (S. Dakota St.)

285 Consolation R4: #9 seed Kerk vs. #29 seed Austin Harris (Okla. St.)

Interesting that for each PSUer in the semis, their half of the bracket has gone chalk. For the PSUers in the consolations, Berge and Kerk are the higher seeds, and Beard is the lower seed. Kirk's opponent, Austin Harris, lost in R1 of the Championship bracket, and has since reeled off three victories in the Consolation bracket.

I’m gutted for all the kids that have been dinged up so far, especially our guys. Injuries are a hard thing to track, cause these guys are like hockey players who just keep chugging along. I do feel like the shortened season has shown up in some sloppier performances this weekend. That said, minus a few warts, the boys and blue have looked pretty good as a unit. It’s almost like, the coaching staff is really really good. Anyway, let’s get 4 in the finals!

I’m gutted for all the kids that have been dinged up so far, especially our guys. Injuries are a hard thing to track, cause these guys are like hockey players who just keep chugging along. I do feel like the shortened season has shown up in some sloppier performances this weekend. That said, minus a few warts, the boys and blue have looked pretty good as a unit. It’s almost like, the coaching staff is really really good. Anyway, let’s get 4 in the finals!
The coaching staff is good? Not so sure.... Could use bunch of work.... *whisper* said no one ver....in very small font....:)

Reactions: dsites52
Got to give some props to the seeding committee for their top 4 seed choices at least. 4 lower weights went "chalk" -- i.e., exactly as seeded and 3 other weights got 3 out of the 4 semi-finalists "correct". 2 other weights have 2 of the top 4 in the semis. Only 165 really got blown up. 9 #1 seeds have made it to the semis.

Semifinal Pairings
125 pounds

No. 1. Spencer Lee (Iowa) vs. No. 4 Drew Hildebrandt (Central Michigan)
No. 3 Brandon Courtney (Arizona State) vs. No. 7 Taylor LaMont (Utah Valley)

133 pounds
No. 1 Daton Fix (Oklahoma State) vs. No. 4 Austin DeSanto (Iowa)
No. 3 Korbin Myers (Virginia Tech) vs. No. 2 Roman Bravo-Young (Penn State)

141 pounds
No. 1 Jaydin Eierman (Iowa) vs. No. 4 Tariq Wilson (NC State)
No. 3 Sebastian Rivera (Rutgers) vs. No. 2 Nick Lee (Penn State)

149 pounds
No. 1 Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) vs. No. 4 Boo Lewallen (Oklahoma State)
No. 3 Brock Mauller (Missouri) vs. No. 2 Austin O’Connor (North Carolina)

157 pounds
No. 1 Ryan Deakin (Northwestern) vs. No. 4 Jesse Dellavecchia (Rider)
No. 3 David Carr (Iowa State) vs. No. 2 Hayden Hidlay (NC State)

165 pounds
No. 8 Shane Griffith (Stanford) vs. No. 5 Zach Hartman (Bucknell)
No. 3 Jake Wentzel (Pittsburgh) vs. No. 7 Ethan Smith (Ohio State)

174 pounds
No. 1 Michael Kemerer (Iowa) vs. No. 12 Bernie Truax (Cal Poly)
No. 3 Carter Starocci (Penn State) vs. No. 2 Demetrius Romero (Utah Valley)

184 pounds
No. 1 Aaron Brooks (Penn State) vs. No. 4 Parker Keckeisen (Northern Iowa)
vs. No. 2 Trent Hidlay (NC State) vs. No. 6 John Poznanski (Rutgers)

197 pounds
No. 1 Myles Amine (Michigan) No. 4 AJ Ferrari (Oklahoma State)
No. 6 Nino Bonaccorsi (Pittsburgh) vs. No. 26 Jake Woodley (Oklahoma)

No. 1 Gable Steveson (Minnesota) vs. No. 5 Tony Cassioppi (Iowa)
No. 6 Gannon Gremmel (Iowa State) vs. No. 2 Mason Parris

Gotta take Spencer down clean or hang on for stalemate because if he gets you bellies out in a scramble, forget about it.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT