ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NCAAs -- Session 2 Thread

RBY actually has the hips covered. You can see it on the overhead view
Just watched on laptop. Yep hips are covered, and he has control by up the butt. It is a TD. DeSanto still was guilty of fleeing the mat also.

As far as AD's supposed TD, someone if they know better feel free to correct me.
The head was controlled, RBY's hand touched, but DeSanto did not have the leg in so no TD.

Just watched on laptop. Yep hips are covered, and he has control by up the butt. It is a TD. DeSanto still was guilty of fleeing the mat also.

As far as AD's supposed TD, someone if they know better feel free to correct me.
The head was controlled, RBY's hand touched, but DeSanto did not have the leg in so no TD.
The leg was in and even if it weren't, at that point, Desanto is behind the arms with RBY's hand touching for over a second. Clear takedown.

Think of it this way. The Penn State staff is widely considered to be the best challengers in the country. There was no argument from the staff here and no thought of a challenge. This in a match where the strategy was clearly to play defense and try to steal it in the end, meaning every point counts a lot. The reason there was no protest was because it was clearly a takedown.

It's an unorthodox position that doesn't come into play very often, so many wrestling fans are unfamiliar with how it is called. We saw this a lot during Cory Clark's title run in 2017 when he used it in 3 straight matches. A lot of Ohio State fans were confused why that position was called a takedown in the Nato match.

Stick to the third period exchange where you have a legit argument. In regards to that, I lean no takedown. There's never a moment where RBY has complete control. At first Desanto has a whizzer, then when he loses the whizzer, RBY only has control of 1 leg. It's super close, and if the call on the mat was a takedown, it probably doesn't get overturned either.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned with the way RBY wrestled that match. I thought he was very fortunate not to get hit for stalling multiple times. He brazenly refused to wrestle for 6 minutes. Didn't even pretend to try really. The kid obviously has some awesome stuff, but seems to shut down against good competition.

He’ll never be 100%. It’s bizarre that PSU apparently wants to roll with a pair of broken bodies next year while keeping Brooks and Beard on the shelf

So you are saying that Nolf will never be 100%? His injury was worse than Shak's. Makes little sense. If Beard is noticeably better than Conel ( if he arrives )….you can bet that Beard will be on the mat after the Scuffle.

Last edited:
So you are saying that Nolf will never be 100%? His injury was worse than Shak's. Makes little sense. If Beard is noticeably better than Conel ( if he arrives )….you can bet that Beard will be on the mat after the Shuffle.

Shak has been hurt for the last 3 years

And for those saying that Desanto ran off the mat, that clearly didn't happen either. RBY drove him off, probably because he thought he already had a takedown and didn't want to give up an escape. Desanto is literally turning back into RBY as he is driven out of bounds to try to stay in, not running out to avoid the takedown.

I know that Penn State fans don't want to hear it, but RBY was out-wrestled in that match and the better, more aggressive wrestler won. They've wrestled twice now and Desanto leads the takedown battle 6-2. He's the better guy right now. Doesn't mean RBY won't pass him in the future either. You have a lot to look forward to from him.

Reactions: Grove Lion
The leg was in and even if it weren't, at that point, Desanto is behind the arms with RBY's hand touching for over a second. Clear takedown.
The leg is between RBY's legs, but the leg was not in. That isn't even a point of contention.
In the position AD was in, the necessity of the leg being anchored is I BELIEVE as necessary as when someone steps over a whizzer. If the leg goes in it is a TD, if not still neutral wrestling.

It's an unorthodox position that doesn't come into play very often, so many wrestling fans are unfamiliar with how it is called. We saw this a lot during Cory Clark's title run in 2017 when he used it in 3 straight matches. A lot of Ohio State fans were confused why that position was called a takedown in the Nato match.
I am fairly certain every time Clark got the two he did have the leg secure.

At the Bearcat Open while wrestling Darmstadt . Out til Scuffle. Rumored to have tweaked something before Ohio State dual
Seriously? You think that the 190 lb. Shakur was give the night off so that a 215 lb Cassar can cut to 197 to wrestle the 215b Moore was based on an injury to Shak. I think you misjudge the mind of Cael. A great choice by Cael that won the match. Make a note. :)

Really? You want to use that criteria? It's the rare wrestling match that I ref where a wrestler doesn't take a wrong position, thinking that something had been called that wasn't called. It's very common in situations where the call, or non-call, takes place just before the wrestlers go out of bounds, as was the case in the RBY - DeSanto match.

As for my disappointment, it has nothing to do with fans thinking it was a TD. In real time, I thought it was a TD, but wasn't sure. My disappointment is that folks think it was clear-cut. That certainly was not the case, either in real time, or in the ESPN review.
cael thought differently and had a pretty good vantage point

I believe RBY had the TD, also believe that DeSanto had a legal TD as well. Will use the fact that Cael and Cody did not challenge the DeSanto TD as evidence it was a TD.

Reactions: a_mshaffer
Shak has been hurt for the last 3 years
I have no issue with Conel coming in, would rather see Brooks at 184 next year than Shak, will be a better result. Two years in a row that poor match awareness has sent Shak to the consi's at NCAA's. Just not a smart wrestler. Your right he has been hurt the last 3 years, might be time for Shak to walk away from the sport...get and stay healthy.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
The leg is between RBY's legs, but the leg was not in. That isn't even a point of contention.
In the position AD was in, the necessity of the leg being anchored is I BELIEVE as necessary as when someone steps over a whizzer. If the leg goes in it is a TD, if not still neutral wrestling.

At the 2:38 point, Desanto has the merkle with the leg in and RBY has his hands on the mat. It was a TD..... less obvious than RBYs TD that was not awarded, but a TD none the less

Oh well. Time to move on. Lol

I’m sure RBY has as he’s got a tough one today.

And for those saying that Desanto ran off the mat, that clearly didn't happen either. RBY drove him off, probably because he thought he already had a takedown and didn't want to give up an escape. Desanto is literally turning back into RBY as he is driven out of bounds to try to stay in, not running out to avoid the takedown.

I know that Penn State fans don't want to hear it, but RBY was out-wrestled in that match and the better, more aggressive wrestler won. They've wrestled twice now and Desanto leads the takedown battle 6-2. He's the better guy right now. Doesn't mean RBY won't pass him in the future either. You have a lot to look forward to from him.

i don't get why people are ragging on RBY's strategy. DeSanto looked like massive compared to RBY, it was obvious that if RBY locked up DeSanto that he could have just muscled out the win like he did in the Big Tens. So RBY goes unorthodox with the arm behind his back to confuse DeSanto and not allow DeSanto to use his strength and best move. And RBY takes the strategy of trying to use the last few seconds of the period to get a TD and maybe one or two other shots during the match. How can people be upset when he was literally as close to a win as humanely possible giving up really only one TD which was barely a TD and then probably should have gotten one himself that was not called. IF that TD is called for RBY and he gets to just play keep away the rest of hte match and wins, we are talking about how great of a strategy that was.

I have no issue with Conel coming in, would rather see Brooks at 184 next year than Shak, will be a better result. Two years in a row that poor match awareness has sent Shak to the consi's at NCAA's. Just not a smart wrestler. Your right he has been hurt the last 3 years, might be time for Shak to walk away from the sport...get and stay healthy.
I'm as excited to see Brooks as anyone, but I'd be thrilled for Shak to get one more chance. He has so much upside. He just needs to understand that he's not Jason Nolf--and who he is is just fine. Is Brooks better today, or will he be by next fall? Almost certainly, but again, 2020 Brooks probably won't hold a candle to 2024 Brooks, and it's not like Shak can't score big tourney points for us.

I have one comment.

Get those f$#@&?g scorers tables out of there even if it cost 2 rows of seats. They don't even have padding on the leading edge. A $10 bill at Home Depot can fix that one at least.

Morons!
Agree. Also noticed they had a number of computer cords OUTSIDE the table mat side posing an additional danger to wrestlers. Lack of attention by NCAA officials is disappointing

He is from PA so that is where the offense comes from

Seriously? You think that the 190 lb. Shakur was give the night off so that a 215 lb Cassar can cut to 197 to wrestle the 215b Moore was based on an injury to Shak. I think you misjudge the mind of Cael. A great choice by Cael that won the match. Make a note. :)

You believing that Shak was actually 190 last year is all I need to know

that’s what I see also .. from standing AD has a ‘merkel’ locked in but as RBY’s hands come down to the mat the leg comes out so all AD has is a side headlock so no TD at that point. ... if we’re going by the ‘zero reaction time’ rule then later when RBY sits AD over on his butt from that position that is called a TAKEDOWN plus there should be a subsequent fleeing the mat penalty .... along with the obvious reaction of AD going immediately to the center of the mat assuming the ‘down’ position ... sorry Tom ... not sure why a wrestler who ‘knows’ he is in neutral’ does that

Think of it this way. The Penn State staff is widely considered to be the best challengers in the country. There was no argument from the staff here and no thought of a challenge. This in a match where the strategy was clearly to play defense and try to steal it in the end, meaning every point counts a lot. The reason there was no protest was because it was clearly a takedown.

Stick to the third period exchange where you have a legit argument. In regards to that, I lean no takedown. There's never a moment where RBY has complete control. At first Desanto has a whizzer, then when he loses the whizzer, RBY only has control of 1 leg. It's super close, and if the call on the mat was a takedown, it probably doesn't get overturned either.

Frankly, I'd be more concerned with the way RBY wrestled that match. I thought he was very fortunate not to get hit for stalling multiple times. He brazenly refused to wrestle for 6 minutes. Didn't even pretend to try really. The kid obviously has some awesome stuff, but seems to shut down against good competition.
Wrong. DS is on his hip, hands not on RBY and RBY has hips covered

i don't get why people are ragging on RBY's strategy.

Agreed.

What I’ve noticed is that EVERY board sees things one way for their guys, and another for anyone else. Human nature I guess. Goes for stalling, styles, or ducking. Some boards take it more to an extreme, but we do it here.

What everyone has to realize is that every guy is different and has different abilities. The object is to win. Period. No one should rip on RBY, Pletcher, Heil, or Stoll, imo. Few I’m sure on these boards can compare to what they have accomplished. Not everyone is a Nolf or Nickel.Who cares HOW you win (as long as its honest)? Its not easy.

It is silly to even say some of the things we say about lack of offense (our guys or other teams). Could you do it? Against the best? Against Nolf? What would posters think if they had to look into Jason's eyes across a mat???? Sometimes injury is part of things, but still, find a way to win (or survive if against N or N) even if you aren’t as athletic, talented, quick, creative…..or whatever else another wrestler is.

We enjoy it when our guys “go for it”, but then when Shak does something that doesn’t work it is now “dumb”. RBY is too cautious. Berge needs more offense. May be true, but these guys are going up against the best and are doing their best, as are Stoll, Lugo, and most every other guy out there. Stoll isn’t ruining anything. What makes it more interesting is very different styles and that the winners stand out and overcome using what tools they have.

Let them be themselves, accept them for who they are, and let the coaches figure out the rest. I just want to see effort and no quit, and will enjoy the FEW that come along that are unique in their style. My two cents.

Agreed.

What I’ve noticed is that EVERY board sees things one way for their guys, and another for anyone else. Human nature I guess. Goes for stalling, styles, or ducking. Some boards take it more to an extreme, but we do it here.

What everyone has to realize is that every guy is different and has different abilities. The object is to win. Period. No one should rip on RBY, Pletcher, Heil, or Stoll, imo. Few I’m sure on these boards can compare to what they have accomplished. Not everyone is a Nolf or Nickel.Who cares HOW you win (as long as its honest)? Its not easy.

It is silly to even say some of the things we say about lack of offense (our guys or other teams). Could you do it? Against the best? Against Nolf? What would posters think if they had to look into Jason's eyes across a mat???? Sometimes injury is part of things, but still, find a way to win (or survive if against N or N) even if you aren’t as athletic, talented, quick, creative…..or whatever else another wrestler is.

We enjoy it when our guys “go for it”, but then when Shak does something that doesn’t work it is now “dumb”. RBY is too cautious. Berge needs more offense. May be true, but these guys are going up against the best and are doing their best, as are Stoll, Lugo, and most every other guy out there. Stoll isn’t ruining anything. What makes it more interesting is very different styles and that the winners stand out and overcome using what tools they have.

Let them be themselves, accept them for who they are, and let the coaches figure out the rest. I just want to see effort and no quit, and will enjoy the FEW that come along that are unique in their style. My two cents.
Well said. Best post I've seen here in awhile.

i don't get why people are ragging on RBY's strategy. DeSanto looked like massive compared to RBY, it was obvious that if RBY locked up DeSanto that he could have just muscled out the win like he did in the Big Tens. So RBY goes unorthodox with the arm behind his back to confuse DeSanto and not allow DeSanto to use his strength and best move. And RBY takes the strategy of trying to use the last few seconds of the period to get a TD and maybe one or two other shots during the match. How can people be upset when he was literally as close to a win as humanely possible giving up really only one TD which was barely a TD and then probably should have gotten one himself that was not called. IF that TD is called for RBY and he gets to just play keep away the rest of hte match and wins, we are talking about how great of a strategy that was.
He would not have just been able to play keep away because Desanto escapes and they're tied. He would have had to take him down again to win.

My critique of his strategy is that he didn't give himself enough opportunities and he played with fire making his stalling so blatant. He's fortunate he wasn't hit for stalling more than he was. You can do other things besides hold your arm behind your back to take away that tricep tie. See the Micic match. I think he could have fired off more shots from space. Desanto is not an elite reattacker, so I don't think there would have been a ton of risk. It was obvious that RBY didn't have much intention to score before the end and it bit him because he didn't give himself enough opportunities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT