ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NCAAs -- Session 2 Thread

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
I'm setting this up early.

Please use this thread to discuss PSU matches, matches of other wrestlers/teams, etc. If replying to another post, please use the Quote function.

Time:
7 pm EDT

TV:
ESPN

Video Streaming:
All 8 mats will be streamed on ESPN3. You can access the stream, which begins at 7 pm EDT, at this link:

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?channel=3e99c57a-516c-385d-9c22-2e40aebc7129&type=upcoming

Audio Streaming:
Byers' radio PBP will be streamed for free. The pre-tournament show starts at 6:40 am EDT, at:

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Live=252&type=Live

Mat Assignments:
Myself and others will post them as we learn of them. You can get them from multiple sources. FloArena has them, and TrackWrestling's Dashboard is another good source. Penn State Wrestling's twitter (@pennstateWREST) often posts mat assignments as well.

Team Score:
that can be followed on Track, or on FloArena. IMHO, the best place to follow the team race is on the Penn State Wrestling Club's web site (https://pennstatewrestlingclub.org).

Plans for the tournament: I expect to be able to provide PBP for Sessions 2, and 4. I'll provide PBP early in Session 3, but will have to leave before the session is completed. I'll not be around to provide PBP for Session 5. Lastly, while I'll create a Session 6 Thread, and post in it, by tradition I don't provide PBP during the finals.

PSU matches in Session 2:

133: RBY vs. Austin DeSanto (Iowa)
141: Lee vs. SaDerian Perry (Old Dominian)
149: Berge vs. Matt Kolodzik (Princeton)
157: Nolf vs. John Van Brill (Rutgers)
165: Joseph vs. Connor Flynn (Mizzou)
174: Hall vs. Brandom Womack (Cornell)
184: Rasheed vs. Chip Ness (UNC)
197: Nickal vs. Josh Hokit (Fresno St)
285: Cassar vs. Tate Orndorff (Utah Valley)

Team Points at the end of R1:

PSU - 21
Ohio St - 15.5
Okla St - 14.5
Iowa - 14
Minny - 13.5
Mizzou - 12
Michigan - 10
Nebraska - 9.5
NIU - 9
VT - 9
Lehigh - 8
NC State - 7.5
Lock Haven - 7
Oregon St - 7
Rutgers - 7
etc.

Reactions: Hotshoe
PSU matches in Session 2:

133: RBY vs. Austin DeSanto (Iowa)
141: Lee vs. SaDerian Perry (Old Dominian)
149: Berge vs. Matt Kolodzik (Princeton)
157: Nolf vs. John Van Brill (Rutgers)
165: Joseph vs. Connor Flynn (Mizzou)
174: Hall vs. Brandom Womack (Cornell)
184: Rasheed vs. Chip Ness (UNC)
197: Nickal vs. Josh Hokit (Fresno St)
285: Cassar vs. Tate Orndorff (Utah Valley)

RBY has a tough match in R2. He lost to DeSanto less than 2 weeks ago, at B1G Championships. It will be interesting to see how much he changes his approach/how much he learned from their recent match.

Lee also has to be careful. Perry is a good wrestler.

I'm not sure if RBY or Berge have the tougher R2 match. Kolodzik will be a real challenge for him.

Nolf's match is somewhat interesting, in part based on what happened in last year's PSU - Rutgers dual.

After that, I don't see too many problems in the match-ups, though everybody at Nationals has talent, so none of the matches should be taken lightly.

I think Berge's match, in particular, could make a big difference in his ultimate finish at 149. Kolodzik had a very close match with Sprague. If Brady could somehow pull out a win tonight, I'd feel pretty good about his chances against Mauller, who has a great record but no particularly impressive win. A 10-4 win over Gfeller is his only win over a top-10 wrestler, but it was after the Scuffle, when Gfeller seemed to be in a slump.

Chip Ness should be an interesting out for Rasheed, he opened last tournament up by beating Venz and Parker so he's definitely no slouch.

Agreed on Ness. That match could test Shak but I think physically it’s a mismatch in favor of Shak.

What are the odds that Iowa goes 9-0 in Round 2? Looking at their draws......it certainly not impossible. Thoughts?

Last edited:
What are the odds that Iowa goes 9-0 in the quarters? Looking at their draws......it certainly not impossible. Thoughts?
Don't see them winning 184, but it is not out of the question. They have favorable draws.

125 Spencer vs. Fausz (NCST)
133 DeSanto vs. RBY (PSU)
141 Murin vs. Carr (ILL)
149 Lugo vs. Blees (VT)
157 Young vs. Hayes (tOSU)
165 Marinelli vs. Bullard (NCST)
184 Wilcke vs. Dean (COR)
197 Warner vs. Lane (Poly)
285 Stoll vs. Jennings (NW)

Why do people have to respon in that manner. Are any of us that good. Sad to have to see.

What happened with DeSanto DQ win in the first round? Was the other guy stalled out? Or did something else happen?

stat from willie.... PSU over the last 6 years is 48-4 in round 1 of the national tournament.

That just seems unreal

Reactions: Hotshoe
Is there anyone at PPG who has seen any tickets being sold by scalpers. I'm thinking about driving downtown tomorrow evening to see what I can get.

ADVERTISEMENT