ADVERTISEMENT

2019 NCAAs -- Session 2 Thread

Yes, that, and in two session threads half his posts are hawkeye-bait.
Poor effort from @Hotshoe , hope he sleeps on it and does better tomorrow
Wow, I must really set a high standard that both of you must comment on my comments. The Iowa board is a sh#tshow. Deal with it. So I cannot critique Shaq as he literally blew his match? Hey, newsflash. I've also said Trace made mistakes and had some bad games. Now go run to HR and post what I said.

Reactions: Ski
Go back and watch the match and watch what DeSanto does after the collision with the table. He turns, jogs back to the circle and gets in the down position. Forget the referees for a second... I think a wrestler is pretty certain when he has been taken down. There appeared to be no doubt in DeSanto’s mind despite the fact the ref didn’t call for two that he had given up a take down.

That is a pretty good argument!

Reactions: nitlion6
Just watched RBY again. In slow mo. Clear as day.

If I knew how to link pictures I would

Agreed. These 6 need to take care of business tomorrow morning.
I think Penn State sends all 6 to the semis tomorrow, and I’m also fairly confident Ohio State sends their 5 from the quarters to the semis. The difference, or separation I shall say, is gonna be what it always comes down to with Penn State.... bonus points.

Penn State has 2 likely pins with Nolf and Nickal. Guaranteed pins from multiple wrestlers in the quarters...SMH. The way Nick Lee is Wrestling I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if he majors Murin. Cenzo and White always wrestle a good tight match but a Cenzo major wouldn’t shock anyone. Hall could major Lujuan but most likely will win by decision. Cassar will probably major Hillger too. So realistically in tomorrow quarters, Penn State will almost assuredly bonus 157/197/HWY, with majors realistic at 141/165/174.

I think Pletcher gets revenge on Phillipi tomorrow and his match will be the toughest roadblock for all 5 making the semis. That’s great, but there will be no real bonus threat beyond majors from OSU’s top dogs. I think the difference in this tournament is Penn State’s 2 top guys who will most likely tech and pin their way through most of the tournament.

133: 0% chance of bonus here.

141: McKenna could realistically bonus McKee, in fact I expect that to happen.

149: Micah could major Lugo but I look for this to be a close match and a win via decision.

184: Ohio State’s top dog Myles Martin could just hold Preisch to a decision, with a chance of majoring him. Here lies the separation between the 2 teams. Penn States top dogs are favored to pin their opponents, which is just insane when you think about it!

197: Moore has a decent chance at a major.

To keep close through the quarters, Ohio State is gonna need to at least major and bonus 4 out of their 5 weights, and advance all 5.... to stay within reach of 2 likely pins, a major and 6 total advancing.Then they need to hope 141/165/174 go via decision tomorrow for Penn State. If Penn State bonuses atvall weights, they will start to pull away tomorrow after he quarters IMO.

Go back and watch the match and watch what DeSanto does after the collision with the table. He turns, jogs back to the circle and gets in the down position. Forget the referees for a second... I think a wrestler is pretty certain when he has been taken down. There appeared to be no doubt in DeSanto’s mind despite the fact the ref didn’t call for two that he had given up a take down. If AD thought it was two, it’s hard to believe anyone should feel disappointed the fans saw exactly what the wrestlers did. It seems the only ones who didn’t see it were the refs.

Really? You want to use that criteria? It's the rare wrestling match that I ref where a wrestler doesn't take a wrong position, thinking that something had been called that wasn't called. It's very common in situations where the call, or non-call, takes place just before the wrestlers go out of bounds, as was the case in the RBY - DeSanto match.

As for my disappointment, it has nothing to do with fans thinking it was a TD. In real time, I thought it was a TD, but wasn't sure. My disappointment is that folks think it was clear-cut. That certainly was not the case, either in real time, or in the ESPN review.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Really? You want to use that criteria? It's the rare wrestling match that I ref where a wrestler doesn't take a wrong position, thinking that something had been called that wasn't called. It's very common in situations where the call, or non-call, takes place just before the wrestlers go out of bounds, as was the case in the RBY - DeSanto match.

As for my disappointment, it has nothing to do with fans thinking it was a TD. In real time, I thought it was a TD, but wasn't sure. My disappointment is that folks think it was clear-cut. That certainly was not the case, either in real time, or in the ESPN review.
Agree, it was close, just definitely thought it a td. Tough loss, but I certainly feel confident in RBY going forward.

Evening Summary: Results for session 2:

PSU: 6-3 plus 6.5 bonus points..... 6 in quarters and all 9 wrestlers still alive

tOSU: 8-2 plus 4.5 bonus points.....5 in quarters and all 10 wrestlers still alive

Iowa: 7-2 plus 3 bonus points...….7 in quarters and all 9 wrestlers still alive

OSU: 5-4 plus 1 bonus point...…...5 in quarters and 8/9 wrestlers still alive

SEE YOU AT 11:00 AM

Session 2 in sum

8c3DOIR.jpg

Wow, I must really set a high standard that both of you must comment on my comments. The Iowa board is a sh#tshow. Deal with it. So I cannot critique Shaq as he literally blew his match? Hey, newsflash. I've also said Trace made mistakes and had some bad games. Now go run to HR and post what I said.
You need to deal with it, and keep the hawkeye shit over there.
Is that so hard for you Mr Admin?
I don't come here to read your bull shit hawkeye baiting.
Do it over there.
The Shaq critique doesn't bother me at all. It is the constant junior high mentality that you have about the iowa BS. Can't you just leave that over there. Make your comments there.

I just listened to JB's description of Shak's match. In it he says that Ness was awarded back points and then the takedown. It is my understanding that you cannot be awarded back points unless you are in control. So I assume the ref first awarded the takedown on the danger rule and then awarded back points.

Was Jeff incorrect in his call? He even repeated his version later in his broadcast!

Reactions: clucas
Chances psu loses for the non-rabid fans? From what I read 18% chance they blow it due to Shak?

It was close, but it was not a takedown
I can see the argument that RBY did not cover the hip, but he put him flat on his ass DeSanto goes to hands and knees and RBY is behind with one arm around waist and the other up his butt. If it isn't a takedown DeSanto was allowed the longest reaction time ever given a wrestler since they eliminated reaction time.
Yes, it is a TD.

DeSanto's almost certainly wasn't, but to be sure I need to see it again.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I just listened to JB's description of Shak's match. In it he says that Ness was awarded back points and then the takedown. It is my understanding that you cannot be awarded back points unless you are in control. So I assume the ref first awarded the takedown on the danger rule and then awarded back points.

Was Jeff incorrect in his call? He even repeated his version later in his broadcast!
If that is what Jeff said, yes he is wrong. While Byers is a PSU treasure, wrong is not necessarily an infrequent occurrence.

He didn't wear that knee brace as a fashion statement.....he is not 100%
That’s true, but as Chip Ness said after the match...I wrestled all my matches this year and he didn’t, that makes a difference. One can argue all day long he was hurt...if he was it cost him, if he wasn’t it cost him.

If that is what Jeff said, yes he is wrong. While Byers is a PSU treasure, wrong is not necessarily an infrequent occurrence.

Thanks.

I also just looked up the rule:

"A.R. 4-2. Is a wrestler able to score near fall points while holding his opponent in the neutral danger zone? RULING: No, near fall may only be scored once a takedown is awarded. By rule, the NDZ and the NDS are only applicable when in the neutral position."

As I saw it, takedown first for danger then back points.

Rasheed put himself in a neutral danger position, which is a position that also requires swipes. Once the necessary neutral danger swipes were done Ness was awarded 2 for a TD and Rasheed's back was still exposed and Ness receieved 4 more swipes.
Neutral danger requires back exposure of only less than 90 degree while back exposure is breaking the 45 degree plane.
The call was 100 percent correct. Jeff's description described by you is not.

I can see the argument that RBY did not cover the hip, but he put him flat on his ass DeSanto goes to hands and knees and RBY is behind with one arm around waist and the other up his butt. If it isn't a takedown DeSanto was allowed the longest reaction time ever given a wrestler since they eliminated reaction time.
Yes, it is a TD.

DeSanto's almost certainly wasn't, but to be sure I need to see it again.
RBY actually has the hips covered. You can see it on the overhead view

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT