ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 76ers Thread

That was a good team .... Unfortunately they did not win more championships

That team didn't win any championships. The one in '83 was before Barkley got drafted. It's a real shame they wasted that window. Should have kept that team together and drafted Brad Daugherty instead of blowing it all up and getting nothing in return.

That team didn't win any championships. The one in '83 was before Barkley got drafted. It's a real shame they wasted that window. Should have kept that team together and drafted Brad Daugherty instead of blowing it all up and getting nothing in return.

Yep. Harold Katz.... idiot

Yep. Harold Katz.... idiot

He made a fortune on NutriSystem, so I wouldn't exactly call him an idiot.

However, he was far too involved in personnel decisions as the owner of the Sixers. The team made a good move by signing Moses. He signed Moses as a FA, and then caved to pressure by the Rockets and the NBA, and ended up doing a trade where he gave up Caldwell Jones (nice player, but not needed with Moses on the team) AND a draft pick that looked as though it would be #1 or #2 (in the pre-lottery days, the NBA flipped between the two worst teams for the #1 pick), which turned out to be Hakeem Olajuwon. Had he not given up that draft choice, then the Sixers would have been in a position to continue their run after the '83 Championship, and also wouldn't have been scrambling for a center, which is when Katz elected to trade the #1 draft pick in '86 (which was Brad Daugherty) to Cleveland for Roy Hinson and $800,000. They then doubled down and traded Moses, Terry Cartledge, the 21st pick of the '86 draft, and a '88 1st rounder to Washington for Jeff Ruland and Cliff Robinson. It took the Sixers years to recover from those disastrous trades.

Had he not given up that draft choice, then the Sixers would have been in a position to continue their run after the '83 Championship,

I think you are mistaken on the Olajuwon pick. That was the same draft as Barkley.

They got Barkley and Leon Wood with top 10 picks in ‘84. It’s a shame Wood didn’t pan out as a player. And they still had the pick that ended up being number one overall in ‘86.

They should have drafted Daugherty to pair with Barkley.

I think you are mistaken on the Olajuwon pick. That was the same draft as Barkley.

They got Barkley and Leon Wood with top 10 picks in ‘84. It’s a shame Wood didn’t pan out as a player. And they still had the pick that ended up being number one overall in ‘86.

They should have drafted Daugherty to pair with Barkley.

Yeah, I did miss up the trade details a bit.

Moses was a restricted FA. He signed an offer with the Sixers in '82. It was more than the Rockets wanted to pay (I believe the Sixers deal was 2.2 Mill /year for 6 years, while the Rockets had offered the MVP somewhere between 1 - 1.5 Mill /year). The Rockets matched the offer, but worked out a sign-and-trade with the Sixers, where they matched the offer, then traded Moses to the Sixers for Caldwell Jones and the Cavaliers '83 1st-round pick, which the Sixers owned from a previous trade.

In the '83 draft, the Rockets took Ralph Sampson with their own 1st round pick (the 1st pick in the draft), and took Rodney McCray with the Cavs pick they had obtained from the Sixers (the 3rd pick in the draft).

The '84 draft was the infamous one. The Rockets again had the #1 pick in the draft, and picked Hakeem. The Trailblazers had the #2 pick (having lost the flip for the #1 pick), and took Sam Bowie. The Bulls had the #3 pick, and took MJ. The Mavericks had the #4 pick (from Cleveland), and took Sam Perkins. The Sixers had the #5 pick (from a '78 trade of World B. Free to the Clippers), and took Sir Charles. The Sixers also had the #10 pick in the draft (which they had received as part of the McGinnis trade with Denver in '78).

The '84 draft was the infamous one. The Rockets again had the #1 pick in the draft, and picked Hakeem. The Trailblazers had the #2 pick (having lost the flip for the #1 pick), and took Sam Bowie. The Bulls had the #3 pick, and took MJ. The Mavericks had the #4 pick (from Cleveland), and took Sam Perkins. The Sixers had the #5 pick (from a '78 trade of World B. Free to the Clippers), and took Sir Charles. The Sixers also had the #10 pick in the draft (which they had received as part of the McGinnis trade with Denver in '78).

The worst part about that draft was the Clippers were battling it out with Houston for the worst record in the West. The Pacers, Bulls and Cavaliers all had worse records in the east, but the coin toss was between the worst team in each conference. Thus the Pacers (Portland had their pick) and Rockets were in the coin toss. The Clippers only finished one game ahead of the Rockets that year, so oh what could have been. Barkley turned out to be an all time great player though, so can't complain too much. Plus, we could have lost that coin toss and ended up with Bowie instead.

^^ Apologies for linking a The Athletic article. I try to avoid linking articles behind paywalls

I was at Dr J's 2nd home game as a 76er. At the time, he played the game at another level. We left the Spectrum that night with high hopes for the 76ers that season and into the future.

I was at Dr J's 2nd home game as a 76er. At the time, he played the game at another level. We left the Spectrum that night with high hopes for the 76ers that season and into the future.
Yeah, he was otherworldly when he was in the ABA. Connie Hawkins was the same way, an All-NBA player who was much, much better before he entered the league.

ECk3RsqXkAAnRmc

Yeah, he was otherworldly when he was in the ABA. Connie Hawkins was the same way, an All-NBA player who was much, much better before he entered the league.
Somewhat the same for David Thompson; started in the ABA and came over when the merger happened, after one pro year. He had a few spectacular years, but drugs quickly took their toll.

I've watched a lot of college basketball and I'd say Thompson is the best I ever saw in person. Not only a spectacular leaper, but a great shooter and rebounder also.

Reactions: LionJim
Former NBA All-Star Joe Johnson is in Philadelphia preparing for a workout Thursday with the 76ers, a source told ESPN's The Undefeated.

Johnson, 38, also is receiving interest for potential workouts from the LA Clippers, the Milwaukee Bucks, the Denver Nuggets and the New Orleans Pelicans. Pelicans head coach Alvin Gentry and vice president David Griffin watched Johnson play in the Big3 league in New Orleans last week.

Johnson was a seven-time NBA All-Star who averaged 16 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game from 2001 to 2018, playing for seven teams.

Johnson most recently played in the NBA during the 2017-18 season with the Utah Jazz and Houston Rockets.

Johnson returning to the NBA through the Big3 would be huge for the three-year-old league, because it has not previously had a player sign with the NBA.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27487148/source-joe-johnson-38-work-76ers

Former NBA All-Star Joe Johnson is in Philadelphia preparing for a workout Thursday with the 76ers, a source told ESPN's The Undefeated.

Johnson, 38, also is receiving interest for potential workouts from the LA Clippers, the Milwaukee Bucks, the Denver Nuggets and the New Orleans Pelicans. Pelicans head coach Alvin Gentry and vice president David Griffin watched Johnson play in the Big3 league in New Orleans last week.

Johnson was a seven-time NBA All-Star who averaged 16 points, 4.0 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game from 2001 to 2018, playing for seven teams.

Johnson most recently played in the NBA during the 2017-18 season with the Utah Jazz and Houston Rockets.

Johnson returning to the NBA through the Big3 would be huge for the three-year-old league, because it has not previously had a player sign with the NBA.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27487148/source-joe-johnson-38-work-76ers
I don’t know how much help Johnson would be now but at his best he was a wonderful player with one of the smoothest jump shots ever, a beautiful player.

In the above video, Simmons has lessened the weird outward angle of his left elbow but still brings the ball too far over before shooting. At the most the ball should be centered with his head, ala Reggie Miller and ideally more offset toward his shooting hand, ala Stephen Curry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT