ADVERTISEMENT

2019-2020 76ers Thread

I get stretching, but for such a young guy? He must really be bad.
It’s pretty amazing how poorly the Sixers have drafted the past 4-5 years. The Fultz deal will go down as the worst in history, but there have been plenty of other misses.

It’s pretty amazing how poorly the Sixers have drafted the past 4-5 years. The Fultz deal will go down as the worst in history, but there have been plenty of other misses.

The ghost of Bryan Colangelo

Zhaire Smith is a head scratcher, more for how he became a Sixer. In the 2018 draft, the Sixers drafted Mikal Bridgers with the 10th pick in the draft. They would have done well if they congratulated themselves on a good pick, and left it at that. Instead, they traded Bridges to the Phoenix Suns for Zhaire Smith (the #16 pick) as well as Miami's 2021 1st-round pick. In 2019, the Sixers traded Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, Landry Shamet, a 2020 1st round pick, Miami's 2021 pick they got from Phoenix for Bridges, a 2021 2nd round draft pick (which was Detroit's 2nd round pick) and a 2023 2nd round pick (which was Detroit's 2nd round pick) to the LA Clippers for Tobias Harris, Boban Marianovic, and Mike Scott.

As for Fultz, it's too painful to even go into the details of that trade/selection.

The Process didn't ensure that the Sixers would be a Championship team, but it gave them ample tools to get to the NBA Championship. They have some nice pieces from The Process picks, but they've frittered away pretty much all of the excess picks they had assembled, and are a 3-bounce on the rim shot at the buzzer in G7 by Kawhi from getting to the Championship. The new GM seems to be a step in the right direction, as the Sixers (with the caveat that Simmons' injury hurt them this year) did not seem to be advancing toward a Championship, and seemed to be passed in the East by a few teams.

Reactions: WestSideLion
Add Okafor to the big misses. Ouch
The Noel and Okafor picks kind of came to the Sixers based on lottery position. No doubt that Prozingis was better than Okafor, but at the time, there were 2-3 consensus top guys and the Sixers took the guy who fell to them.

The ghost of Bryan Colangelo

Zhaire Smith is a head scratcher, more for how he became a Sixer. In the 2018 draft, the Sixers drafted Mikal Bridgers with the 10th pick in the draft. They would have done well if they congratulated themselves on a good pick, and left it at that. Instead, they traded Bridges to the Phoenix Suns for Zhaire Smith (the #16 pick) as well as Miami's 2021 1st-round pick. In 2019, the Sixers traded Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, Landry Shamet, a 2020 1st round pick, Miami's 2021 pick they got from Phoenix for Bridges, a 2021 2nd round draft pick (which was Detroit's 2nd round pick) and a 2023 2nd round pick (which was Detroit's 2nd round pick) to the LA Clippers for Tobias Harris, Boban Marianovic, and Mike Scott.

As for Fultz, it's too painful to even go into the details of that trade/selection.

The Process didn't ensure that the Sixers would be a Championship team, but it gave them ample tools to get to the NBA Championship. They have some nice pieces from The Process picks, but they've frittered away pretty much all of the excess picks they had assembled, and are a 3-bounce on the rim shot at the buzzer in G7 by Kawhi from getting to the Championship. The new GM seems to be a step in the right direction, as the Sixers (with the caveat that Simmons' injury hurt them this year) did not seem to be advancing toward a Championship, and seemed to be passed in the East by a few teams.
A lot of hindsight is 20/20 there. I remember sixers nation beyond ecstatic that they got Miami’s ‘21 pick and talking about what a huge trade chip it was going to be. And Colangelo resigned before that draft

A lot of hindsight is 20/20 there. I remember sixers nation beyond ecstatic that they got Miami’s ‘21 pick and talking about what a huge trade chip it was going to be.

actually, you're showing pretty selective memory there. The Sixers got ripped on the trade. I posted on this board that I disagreed with the move. As a lifeline, so to speak, some folks did muse that perhaps the Miami trade would make the trade less of a debacle.

And Colangelo resigned before that draft

look up the definition of ghost.

Reactions: WestSideLion
actually, you're showing pretty selective memory there. The Sixers got ripped on the trade. I posted on this board that I disagreed with the move. As a lifeline, so to speak, some folks did muse that perhaps the Miami trade would make the trade less of a debacle.

look up the definition of ghost.
Everything I see loved the trade from the sixers standpoint- Liberty Ballers and The Ringer gave it an A

SI gave it a B, nbadraftnet gave it a B+

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT