ADVERTISEMENT

World Championships - Oct. 20-28

So, Snyder talked a lot of smack and had to eat a massive amount of crow.

Perhaps he's just carrying on the tOSU way?

Not how a Nittany Lion would have handled it.

So, Snyder talked a lot of smack and had to eat a massive amount of crow.

Perhaps he's just carrying on the tOSU way?

Not how a Nittany Lion would have handled it.
I've never gotten the sense that Snyder enjoys smack talk so much as he feels a sense of duty to promote wrestling, given his accolades, and is just resorting to the most typical way wrestling is promoted. He comes off as a kind of quiet guy and the smack talk doesn't come naturally to him the way it comes to Jordan Oliver or Ben Askren. So I don't take it seriously.

I've never gotten the sense that Snyder enjoys smack talk so much as he feels a sense of duty to promote wrestling, given his accolades, and is just resorting to the most typical way wrestling is promoted. He comes off as a kind of quiet guy and the smack talk doesn't come naturally to him the way it comes to Jordan Oliver or Ben Askren. So I don't take it seriously.

I don't know enough about him to guess his motivation. I would just state that there are other ways to promote the sport. I'll continue to root for the man but he did get schooled in this instance.

Coon up 3-0 at break on 2 passivity not engaging calls. Korean had two slips on arm tosses only real action in 1st pd

I follow international wrestling even less than I do high school wrestling, which is none, so, hence, the stupid question: didn't the world championships get settled LAST week? What is this then? Their equivalent of the NIT tournament?

I follow international wrestling even less than I do high school wrestling, which is none, so, hence, the stupid question: didn't the world championships get settled LAST week? What is this then? Their equivalent of the NIT tournament?
Same one, still happening—1st Men’s then Women’s Freestyle, and now Greco.

Still have yet to see a photo of DT on the award stand, anyone?

If the photo doesn't exist, perhaps it is all an elaborate hoax, like the moon landing, 9/11, all the school bombings, and of course the MAGA Bomber in Florida.

Reactions: Afw6006
I bet Coon's finals opponent does everything he possibly can to stay out of a body lock. If Coon pins this guy (a Russian who is probably better than the wrestlers Coon has previously beaten at Worlds), would his 5 pins be unprecedented in World Championship history?

The US hasn't won Greco gold at any weight since 2006 (Joe Warren at 60KG). Prior to that it was three in a row at 120 KG: Rulon (giant killer) Gardner in 2000 and 2001 followed by D. Byers in 2002. Before that, there was only 1 gold from 1986-1999. There were three golds from 1984-85. From 1960-1983, the US earned no (zero) golds. So, a gold from Coon would be quite special, historically speaking.

The US hasn't won Greco gold at any weight since 2006 (Joe Warren at 60KG). Prior to that it was three in a row at 120 KG: Rulon (giant killer) Gardner in 2000 and 2001 followed by D. Byers in 2002. Before that, there was only 1 gold from 1986-1999. There were three golds from 1984-85. From 1960-1983, the US earned no (zero) golds. So, a gold from Coon would be quite special, historically speaking.
To me the thing that stands out about that, is not only the US’ complete ineptitude in Greco wrestling, but just how sparse the D1 folk style wrestlers are represented in Greco Gold medals. Only 7 US male athletes have ever won gold medals in Greco, 2 of which occurred during the Eastern Bloc boycott of the 84 Olympics, which left out the Soviets among others.(for instance wrestling power Azerbaijan wasn’t even a country at that time, it was a part of the USSR) But of those 7, only 3 of them ever wrestled a match of D1 folk style. Joe Warren and Steve Fraser wrestled and AA’ed at Michigan and apparently Dennis Hall wrestled 1 year at Wisconsin. Just shocking to me that only 2 NCAA D1 AAs have ever gotten a gold medal in Greco, and only one has ever won when Russia was competing.

So good luck to Adam tomorrow, get that body lock locked up and pin your way to a gold medal. Hopefully he can inspire some of our best to give Greco a try.

I bet Coon's finals opponent does everything he possibly can to stay out of a body lock. If Coon pins this guy (a Russian who is probably better than the wrestlers Coon has previously beaten at Worlds), would his 5 pins be unprecedented in World Championship history?
Coon is a monster and will reign in Greco for awhile.... he’s our Snyder of the Greco world.

Welp, a push out, and 2 4s off of his own body lock for the Russian ends it 0-9. Proud of Coon, all the same....

Reactions: diggerpup
Congrats to Coon!

So the gold medalist gets a belt and the other medalists get a dollar store stuffed animal? BTW, I'm sure someone has commented on/explained this in some other thread at some point, but I'm always a little surprised at the apparent poor condition of the mats for these top level int'l events. Do they just use a different style of mat abroad, one that's a lot less taut than we use here?

Dqm8FTeXcAEtAjM.jpg

Congrats to Coon!

So the gold medalist gets a belt and the other medalists get a dollar store stuffed animal? BTW, I'm sure someone has commented on/explained this in some other thread at some point, but I'm always a little surprised at the apparent poor condition of the mats for these top level int'l events. Do they just use a different style of mat abroad, one that's a lot less taut than we use here?

Dqm8FTeXcAEtAjM.jpg
Every medalist got that stuffed mascot. Found it a little strange myself.

Reactions: danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT