ADVERTISEMENT

Will / Can Ohio State Punt Next Year ?

Just watched it again matter. Lee was up 5-4, then got a quick 2 count to make it 7-4 and then got a little aggressive as you said. Nick then gave up a locked hands call in a scramble and things went south. Lee wrestled well for all but 15 seconds of the match. Damn true freshman. Lol.

I realized it had to be 7-4 because 7-3 made no sense. Lol. It was TD Gfeller, escape Lee, TD Lee, escape Gfeller, TD Lee, then backs for Lee. Match momentum was definitely in Lee's favor.

Reactions: funkisfun12
Pretty sure it was something like 7-3 with Lee on top after giving up the first takedown (Gfeller had 1 td and 1 escape for his 3). Lee had an escape and three takedowns after that and looked well on his way to a TF when he got a lot too careless trying to turn Gfeller.

A TF was never in the cards in that match. Not even close.

My guess it that tOSU won't redshirt the team -- because, among other things, it would drop them out of the top 3-5. I think one of their recruiting points is probably that they are a perennial contender. And you never know what's going to happen.

screen_shot_2018-04-17_at_11.29.10_am_qcluhb
DLYb0vSUMAAGJts.jpg

Looks like Joey might be responsible for the threats? We will leave this up to Spyker to call the feds.

My guess it that tOSU won't redshirt the team -- because, among other things, it would drop them out of the top 3-5. I think one of their recruiting points is probably that they are a perennial contender. And you never know what's going to happen.
Not to mention that Ryan probably has one of his bonuses structured around a top tier finish.

I seriously doubt Ryan is making this decision out of greed. He has some great recruits coming in, and those 3 surely are thinking about prepping for Olympic Trials. Academic status and goals also in play. Lastly, he has great excuses lined up now for not winning it all for a couple of years--why rock the boat? ;)

I seriously doubt Ryan is making this decision out of greed. He has some great recruits coming in, and those 3 surely are thinking about prepping for Olympic Trials. Academic status and goals also in play. Lastly, he has great excuses lined up now for not winning it all for a couple of years--why rock the boat? ;)
Just having fun - plus laying out some bait for the FRL boys. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander

I've been in business long enough to know that personal matters ALWAYS play a part in business decisions whether we wish to acknowledge them or not. Not saying that is the case here because none of us could know the truth of it, but to 'seriously doubt' the possibility would be naive. I believe most of the decision is based on business principles, but we cannot deny the invisible hand of money helping to tip the scales as well.

I've been in business long enough to know that personal matters ALWAYS play a part in business decisions whether we wish to acknowledge them or not. Not saying that is the case here because none of us could know the truth of it, but to 'seriously doubt' the possibility would be naive. I believe most of the decision is based on business principles, but we cannot deny the invisible hand of money helping to tip the scales as well.
Point taken, but I'd happily take a bet that Ryan would trade in whatever 2nd place bonus he got this year for the trophy. This is wrestling we're talking about--money is not quite the motivator meriting devotion and general butt-busting the way say football is....

Last edited:
Ryan isn't the only one making this decision. The wrestlers have a bigger say than most know. I believe that the Kollin Moore "Inside Trip Podcast" interview contained some honest responses from Kollin about this very subject, explaining the situation far better than a fan could..

Point taken, but I'd happily take a bet that Ryan would trade in whatever 2nd place bonus he got this year for the trophy. This is wrestling we're talking about--money is not quite the motivator meriting devotion and general butt-busting the way say football is....
No doubt that there are competing factors at play.

Ryan isn't the only one making this decision. The wrestlers have a bigger say than most know. I believe that the Kollin Moore "Inside Trip Podcast" interview contained some honest responses from Kollin about this very subject, explaining the situation far better than a fan could..
I see Moore is wrestling 213 in an upcoming tournament. I wonder how much weight played into his performance at nationals and all season quite frankly.

I see Moore is wrestling 213 in an upcoming tournament. I wonder how much weight played into his performance at nationals and all season quite frankly.
I wonder too, but not really knowing better, backed off a bit after listening to his interview. These wrestlers deal with so much, it's easy to see how some may be wiped out by the end of a wrestling season, be it mentally, emotionally, physically, whatever. Gotta believe weight-cutting was a factor, but not the only one.

Seriously.

Moore beat Wilcke, Rasheed, and Darmstadt consecutively. Weight didn't stop him there.
That may be, but Moore in my eyes degraded somewhat the last two months of the season. Yeah, they were all quality opponents, but he seemed a bit off at times, and people commented on it during the season. I sensed weight was the issue, but it could have been something else or nothing at all. We may never know.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Moore move up to Heavy this season. Snyder wrestled the weight at 225 during his first season there if I'm not mistaken? It wouldn't be a problem for Moore to head into the season at around 230 and go Heavy. TaTo used up a lot of chips asking his guys to suck weight for the past two years chasing a blue and white shadow with a big white stripe in the middle that he can't seem to catch.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Moore move up to Heavy this season. Snyder wrestled the weight at 225 during his first season there if I'm not mistaken? It wouldn't be a problem for Moore to head into the season at around 230 and go Heavy. TaTo used up a lot of chips asking his guys to suck weight for the past two years chasing a blue and white shadow with a big white stripe in the middle that he can't seem to catch.
That would require 1 of 2 possible roster moves:
1. Hoffman goes 197 as a true FR (and probably never shirts).
2. Martin goes 197 and Ethan Smith goes 184.

Both of those moves assume:
1. Moore > Singletary
2. Moore HWT > Moore 197
3. The resulting changes at 184/197 > Singletary.

The Snyder analogy is imperfect at best. He was 11-0 that year including the postseason. Moore would face the big boys 30+ matches.

That may be, but Moore in my eyes degraded somewhat the last two months of the season. Yeah, they were all quality opponents, but he seemed a bit off at times, and people commented on it during the season. I sensed weight was the issue, but it could have been something else or nothing at all. We may never know.

Yeah, Moore definitely had a bad stretch late in the season starting with the dual against us. Seemed to recover nicely until he met up with Conel.

I don't see Ryan punting. He went all in 3 years ago with MyMar and Snyder only to finish a distant 3rd.

I don't see Ryan punting. He went all in 3 years ago with MyMar and Snyder only to finish a distant 3rd.

At the time of the decision to pull Myles rs, and pull Kyle's Olympic rs, it looked like Hunter Steiber was going to return to form. This didnt end up as planned, as Hunter's elbows were not recovered and he was a shell of himself.
But, adding 15-20 points at nationals with a health Hunter Steiber would have put us in 2nd.
2016 PSU 123, OSU 97.5, tOSU 86

For what its worth.

At the time of the decision to pull Myles rs, and pull Kyle's Olympic rs, it looked like Hunter Steiber was going to return to form. This didnt end up as planned, as Hunter's elbows were not recovered and he was a shell of himself.
But, adding 15-20 points at nationals with a health Hunter Steiber would have put us in 2nd.
2016 PSU 123, OSU 97.5, tOSU 86

For what its worth.

I don't get it: The only time he punted, he won his National Championship and things look very similar this year to the last time he punted. Foolhardy to me. Punt this year and he is set up to win it all in 2020.

Yeah, Moore definitely had a bad stretch late in the season starting with the dual against us. Seemed to recover nicely until he met up with Conel.

This is my personal opinions....
In 2016-7 Kollin, as a rs-freshman, really didnt cut much weight, at all. And wrestled like his hair was on fire.
In the summer of 2017, he made the junior world team at 96 kg, so bulked himself up for the weight. I recall, in an interview, saying he hit 220 (but my memory could be wrong).
This past year, 2017-8, he had to cut weight to make 197... and IMHO, it really showed. He was not the same at duals, with wrestling 1 hour after weigh ins.. and in the early rounds at tourneys. In Vegas, he was mediocre in the early rounds, then was himself by the later evening matches, even pinning Haught in the finals.
I told my other Buckeye fans that my biggest worry for Kollin was the quarter finals on Friday AM. If he could get by quarters, then semis and finals would be 6-8 hours after weigh ins, and he would be fully recovered. Unfortunately, I was correct and he lost in the quarters.
He was able to beat Darmstadt on Saturday morning... but IMHO, he will always beat him, as that goes back to high school. Then lost to Connel again, Saturday AM, few hours after weigh in.

I have no idea if I am right. But if so, I hope Tom makes him slim back down and be around 200-205. I heard recently he was around 210, in an interview.

This is my personal opinions....
In 2016-7 Kollin, as a rs-freshman, really didnt cut much weight, at all. And wrestled like his hair was on fire.
In the summer of 2017, he made the junior world team at 96 kg, so bulked himself up for the weight. I recall, in an interview, saying he hit 220 (but my memory could be wrong).
This past year, 2017-8, he had to cut weight to make 197... and IMHO, it really showed. He was not the same at duals, with wrestling 1 hour after weigh ins.. and in the early rounds at tourneys. In Vegas, he was mediocre in the early rounds, then was himself by the later evening matches, even pinning Haught in the finals.
I told my other Buckeye fans that my biggest worry for Kollin was the quarter finals on Friday AM. If he could get by quarters, then semis and finals would be 6-8 hours after weigh ins, and he would be fully recovered. Unfortunately, I was correct and he lost in the quarters.
He was able to beat Darmstadt on Saturday morning... but IMHO, he will always beat him, as that goes back to high school. Then lost to Connel again, Saturday AM, few hours after weigh in.

I have no idea if I am right. But if so, I hope Tom makes him slim back down and be around 200-205. I heard recently he was around 210, in an interview.

See, that's your problem. Your philosophy. Cut Cut Cut Cut Cut. How's that working out for ya? Let the kid eat, and you might be pleasantly surprised with a higher finish than you ever thought.
Pocket Hercules at 125 with the cut cut cut, and Spencer decks him. Riddle me this: Who couldn't Pocket Hercules beat at 133 this year? Yes, more net points, but what if you just let your guys eat pasta and steak, I mean all of them, and then see how things go.

I always love it when everybody goes "Cael's guys all look smaller..." LOL.

I don't get it: The only time he punted, he won his National Championship and things look very similar this year to the last time he punted. Foolhardy to me. Punt this year and he is set up to win it all in 2020.

Myles could redshirt and avoid Bo.. but for all we know Zahid could go 184 in 2020. Myles has not been able to beat either. Yes, 2nd place points would be huge, but who knows the landscape in 2020.. maybe our guy can get 4th place points. Maybe Gavin Hoffman is 184 in 2020 (doubt) during Kollin Moore's senior year... If so, Hoffman could be on the podium for significant points.

Also, if McKenna and Myles redshirt.... that really really messes up the year by year flow that is set up very nice.
Quinn Kinner will be coming off redshirt in 2019/20 and if McKenna is still around that creates an issue.
Also, 184 is set up for either Ethan Smith or other to take over in 2019/20. IMHO- Rocky Jordan is a 184. He looks huge and cant see him holding 174.
Not sure how the 9.9 works, but it could create scholarship money issues with the blue chip recruits if those two are still around.

Pletcher will be a senior in 2020.. he does not have to redshirt.

See, that's your problem. Your philosophy. Cut Cut Cut Cut Cut. How's that working out for ya? Let the kid eat, and you might be pleasantly surprised with a higher finish than you ever thought.
Pocket Hercules at 125 with the cut cut cut, and Spencer decks him. Riddle me this: Who couldn't Pocket Hercules beat at 133 this year? Yes, more net points, but what if you just let your guys eat pasta and steak, I mean all of them, and then see how things go.

I always love it when everybody goes "Cael's guys all look smaller..." LOL.

Not sure I agree. Kollin purposely bulked up.. for the world team weight class. If he allows himself to debulk a bit.. and go back to his natural weight around 200, then he wont have a cut for next year.... and he wrestles much better.

Tomasello needed to debulk anyway, as he planned on competing at 57 kg after ncaa's. He wasnt going to make weight if he stayed as muscular.

Not too many tOSU guys do significant cuts.
Micah did his rs-fresh year. This year he was 3 pounds under at nationals.
Campbell did this year, out of necessity. He was not beating out BoJo at 174.
Pletcher cuts, but 100% of wrestling minds would agree 133 is his best weight.

Not sure I agree. Kollin purposely bulked up.. for the world team weight class. If he allows himself to debulk a bit.. and go back to his natural weight around 200, then he wont have a cut for next year.... and he wrestles much better.

Tomasello needed to debulk anyway, as he planned on competing at 57 kg after ncaa's. He wasnt going to make weight if he stayed as muscular.

Hey, solid points. You got me. I won't come down from my thoughts on Moore though, he should be a heavyweight in my mind and it just might not cost you any points at all if he just is allowed to wrestle and not have the scale on his mind.

All of Cael's kids don't look small. Zain never looks small, Nolf isn't built like a Greek God but he is a healthy sized 157 pounder. Cenzo cedes nothing to anybody, except height. Bo wasn't as muscular as Gabe Dean, but he certainly did not look small or little in comparison .

Isn't Moore doing that again this year, bulking up to wrestle freestyle at 213lbs. Sounds like he needs a good dietitian later this summer.

Who did they redshirt the year before they won it the last time? NaTo, Snyder and BoJo?

Isn't Moore doing that again this year, bulking up to wrestle freestyle at 213lbs. Sounds like he needs a good dietitian later this summer.
That's an assumption, that weighing 213 = bulking up to something bigger and then cutting to 213.

He could be choosing to wrestle closer to his walk around weight, focus on wrestling instead of the scales.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT