ADVERTISEMENT

Will / Can Ohio State Punt Next Year ?

Remember, "Zahid is walking around at 178 pounds". Also, I've got some GREAT land parcels you need to see...."Glengarry Farms" and "Glen Ross Estates".

Who did they redshirt the year before they won it the last time? NaTo, Snyder and BoJo?

Tomasello and Bo Jordan were both redshirt freshman in 2014/5, when we won it all.
Kyle Snyder was a true freshman (note, he spent his senior year at OTC, rather than compete in Maryland... kinda like Joe (edit: Nick) Lee did in the RTC)
We really didnt mass redshirt upperclassmen or anything.. just worked out that Bo and Nate were coming off redshirt, and Kyle was coming to campus ... all at the same time that Logan Steiber was a rs-senior and Hunter Steiber was a rs-junior. ....... and it correlated with the one year that Cael mass redshirted.

If Hunter was healthy.. and you guys didnt mass redshirt... I would love to know how that would have turned out. Would have been fun.
We had ~ 102 points without Hunter. Thus would have had around 122 with him healthy.

Last edited:
Ohio State will NOT punt now that they are getting an All-American transfer at 125........Expect Zeke Moisey to be their 125.

Tomasello and Bo Jordan were both redshirt freshman in 2014/5, when we won it all.
Kyle Snyder was a true freshman (note, he spent his senior year at OTC, rather than compete in Maryland... kinda like Joe Lee did in the RTC)
We really didnt mass redshirt upperclassmen or anything.. just worked out that Bo and Nate were coming off redshirt, and Kyle was coming to campus ... all at the same time that Logan Steiber was a rs-senior and Hunter Steiber was a rs-junior. ....... and it correlated with the one year that Cael mass redshirted.

If Hunter was healthy.. and you guys didnt mass redshirt... I would love to know how that would have turned out. Would have been fun.
We had ~ 102 points without Hunter. Thus would have had around 122 with him healthy.

Ok, pretty much what I thought. So, they didn't "punt" then the year before that title. Redshirting a true freshman and redshirting seniors is a big difference in my mind.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said in your posts and would be surprised if they just give up on next year.

Reactions: Dar.of.Emur
Ohio State will NOT punt now that they are getting an All-American transfer at 125........Expect Zeke Moisey to be their 125.
Weren’t going to punt regardless but Moisey isn’t bringing us a national championship just like I said getting Schram won’t either

Weren’t going to punt regardless but Moisey isn’t bringing us a national championship just like I said getting Schram won’t either

I stated repeatedly that they weren't punting.......too much scholarship money coming in. But filling the biggest hole in their lineup at least puts them in the conversation as having a chance.

I stated repeatedly that they weren't punting.......too much scholarship money coming in. But filling the biggest hole in their lineup at least puts them in the conversation as having a chance.
Even as a fan I don’t see it, losing NaTo, BoJo, and Snyder is huge and while McKenna, Micah, and Martin are still in the fold you have to find a way to match what Nolf, Joseph, and Nickal will bring along with Nevills. Pletcher isn’t going to bonus anyone significant and seeing Moore this year it doesn’t look like he will either same can actually be said about McKenna when you get to the later rounds of a tournament. Of course there are some unknowns but I don’t see Moisey who finished 8th this year being a factor of putting Ohio State in any type of conversation of a title. I think you guys are going to walk away with the national title next year and I’ve thought this since this years tournament finished

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
So it's all in for all. Moisey ships in, and probably one more transfer, along with DeSanto and Perry to Iowa, and all aboard for round 2 this year in the Burgh. Cael counters with no transfers at all and rolls with a true frosh at both 125 and 133, and a redshirt frosh at 149.

Gonna come down to the wire this year also, but a 3 horsey race instead of 2 horseys.

Team Tan
Moisey
Pletch
McKenna
Micah
Hayes/Sasso
Romero
Campbell
MyMar
Moore(mistake, should be heavy)
Singletary

Team Carver
Spencer
DeSanto
Perry/Turk
Lugo
Kemdawg
The Bull
Young
$
Warner
Big Sam

The Dynasty
Teasdale
RBY
Nick Lee
Verk/Berge(when Cael says he can't make it down, then I'll take him off)
Nolf
Cenzo
Marky
Nickal
Shak/Anthony
NN

Team Cowboy
Picc
Fix
Brock
Gfeller
and the rest...(Gilligan's Island reference)

FWIW... I can tell you there’s currently no plan for tOSU to punt next year. I was told there hasn’t been any mention at all within the program.
I’m sure if there was that thought, a final decision is still in the distant future. I’m just repeating what i was told today by someone I consider very reliable. Not ground breaking news... but post worthy.

Even as a fan I don’t see it, ..... but I don’t see Moisey who finished 8th this year being a factor of putting Ohio State in any type of conversation of a title. I think you guys are going to walk away with the national title next year and I’ve thought this since this years tournament finished

Honestly, Zeke Moisey could finish 2nd next year. Everyone not named Spencer is scattering away from 125, like cockroaches when the light is turned on...

Suriano and Lizak are (rumor) moving to 133. Tomasello and Cruz graduate.

Out of Picc, Rivera, Bresser, Lamont, Fauz, Millhoff, Mattin... none of those are sure-losses for Moisey. He could beat any, and he could lose to any of these.

With a good year of training, and a little luck, he could reproduce his 2015 tournament.
Or he could go 2-2 and DNP.

Penn St still probably wins by 20-30 pts, but I wouldnt downplay the 'possible' team points Moisey 'could' bring to the table.

Reactions: fronk71
Honestly, Zeke Moisey could finish 2nd next year. Everyone not named Spencer is scattering away from 125, like cockroaches when the light is turned on...

Out of Picc, Rivera, Bresser, Lamont, Fauz, Millhoff, Mattin... none of those are sure-losses for Moisey. He could beat any, and he could lose to any of these.

With a good year of training, and a little luck, he could reproduce his 2015 tournament.

Penn St still probably wins by 20-30 pts, but I wouldnt downplay the 'possible' team points Moisey 'could' bring to the table.
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but Mousey is not finishing second. If he somehow finishes in the bottom of the top 8 I would argue he had a solid last campaign.

And Gavin Teasdale could also beat Zeke Moisey.

Reactions: diggerpup
So it's all in for all.

Team Tan
Moisey
Pletch
McKenna
Micah
Hayes/Sasso
Romero
Campbell
MyMar
Singletary

If Micah does, in fact, drop to 149, I foresee Jaden Mattox wrestling as a freshman at 157.
KeyShawn Hayes' best weight is 141. He was small for 149. Didnt show except when he wrestled top 4 guys. He would be tiny for 157.
Sasso is a 141 or 149 next year. Unless he hits a late teen growth spurt. He looked tiny when he wrestled up at Beast to face Carr.

tOSU also just got a late commit from Kevon Freeman of Mentor Lake Catholic. He is a 57-65. Not a high-ranked guy (around 11-14 in his weight), but may be over-looked since he never did the freestyle circuit. In the D2 state finals, he beat the Ironman winner (Ryan Thomas of SPG), in a match up of returning state champs.
tOSU's 57 next year may be the room winner between Mattox and Freeman.

This is my personal opinions....
In 2016-7 Kollin, as a rs-freshman, really didnt cut much weight, at all. And wrestled like his hair was on fire.
In the summer of 2017, he made the junior world team at 96 kg, so bulked himself up for the weight. I recall, in an interview, saying he hit 220 (but my memory could be wrong).
This past year, 2017-8, he had to cut weight to make 197... and IMHO, it really showed. He was not the same at duals, with wrestling 1 hour after weigh ins.. and in the early rounds at tourneys. In Vegas, he was mediocre in the early rounds, then was himself by the later evening matches, even pinning Haught in the finals.
I told my other Buckeye fans that my biggest worry for Kollin was the quarter finals on Friday AM. If he could get by quarters, then semis and finals would be 6-8 hours after weigh ins, and he would be fully recovered. Unfortunately, I was correct and he lost in the quarters.
He was able to beat Darmstadt on Saturday morning... but IMHO, he will always beat him, as that goes back to high school. Then lost to Connel again, Saturday AM, few hours after weigh in.

I have no idea if I am right. But if so, I hope Tom makes him slim back down and be around 200-205. I heard recently he was around 210, in an interview.
Moore recently said in an interview that he was around 207 the past season and the cut was not the issue. I believe he also said he was dealing with neck stingers all season and did not handle the pressure well of being the favorite.

Reactions: fronk71
Moore recently said in an interview that he was around 207 the past season and the cut was not the issue. I believe he also said he was dealing with neck stingers all season and did not handle the pressure well of being the favorite.
If you're talking about the Inside Trip Podcast, it's a great-listen. Candid, honest, truthful, and from the heart. I don't care what team they're on, when these young men lay it out there like he did, and fans get to humanize the wrestlers, it's a good thing.

I've had neck stingers. Can't imagine wrestling at a high level with them.

I see you already have Moisey penciled in. I guess you're okay with Ryan tampering with other teams.

He has holes at 141/149 and 165 last year; magically Campbell (165) and McKenna (141/149) appear of his doorstep shortly after nationals.

So now he needs a 125 pounder .. poof!! ... along comes a 2 time AA at 125.

Proof? No

Circumstantial evidence? I think so.

So it's all in for all. Moisey ships in, and probably one more transfer, along with DeSanto and Perry to Iowa, and all aboard for round 2 this year in the Burgh. Cael counters with no transfers at all and rolls with a true frosh at both 125 and 133, and a redshirt frosh at 149.

Gonna come down to the wire this year also, but a 3 horsey race instead of 2 horseys.

Team Tan
Moisey
Pletch
McKenna
Micah
Hayes/Sasso
Romero
Campbell
MyMar
Singletary

Team Carver
Spencer
DeSanto
Perry/Turk
Lugo
Kemdawg
The Bull
Young
$
Warner
Big Sam

The Dynasty
Teasdale
RBY
Nick Lee
Verk/Berge(when Cael says he can't make it down, then I'll take him off)
Nolf
Cenzo
Marky
Nickal
Shak/Anthony
NN

Team Cowboy
Picc
Fix
Brock
Gfeller
and the rest...(Gilligan's Island reference)
If all athletes maintain good health there is not going to be a 2018 team race repeat. A strong competition for 2, 3 and 4 places is likely though.

If all athletes maintain good health there is not going to be a 2018 team race repeat. A strong competition for 2, 3 and 4 places is likely though.

That's exactly what we thought just 12 months ago. Things change. It's the only given.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
That's exactly what we thought just 12 months ago. Things change. It's the only given.
Well I am assuming Rutgers nor anybody else for that matter is actively recruiting the PSU wrestling room.
Last year we all knew Ohio State was going to be exceptionally strong this year, universally assuming a very dominant second place team.
The loss of Suriano and addition of McKenna, essentially a 30 to 40 point swing, did make everything interesting.

I will stick with assuming good health across the board, the race this coming year will be for 2nd, 3rd and 4th places.

Well I am assuming Rutgers nor anybody else for that matter is actively recruiting the PSU wrestling room.
Last year we all knew Ohio State was going to be exceptionally strong this year, universally assuming a very dominant second place team.
The loss of Suriano and addition of McKenna, essentially a 30 to 40 point swing, did make everything interesting.

I will stick with assuming good health across the board, the race this coming year will be for 2nd, 3rd and 4th places.

I'm in agreement.

Aside from health, the other big variable is the 3 Fr taking over at 125, 133 and 149 ... I presume. If they combine to recover Zain's 25 points, 140+ will be out of reach for anyone not named PSU.

However, if they struggle, and our team score comes in around 125, it could get interesting. With a 4 or 5 team race even 125 will probably be safe.

the other big variable is the 3 Fr taking over at 125, 133 and 149 ... I presume. If they combine to recover Zain's 25 points...
That's a big IF. 25 points is the equivalent of three 8th place AA's or two mid AA's. That's a lot to ask of three freshmen, two of which would be true freshmen. Let's remember that both Zain and Nick Lee took 5th place with 12 and 11.5 points respectively. My expectations are that we see something like 15 points from those three weights, but would be happy if we got more. The good news is that Lee, Rasheed/Cassar, and Nevills all have great opportunities to climb the podium and recover the remainder of what we lose from Zain.

It's always been my hope and wishes for all the wrestlers, that they are healthy come tournament time, regardless of team. Put the best guys out there, and let the fun begin.

That said, injuries are a huge part of this sport. Looking at the sports medicine handbook, and wrestling and football are neck-and-neck, well above other sports in overall injury rate (I'll have to look again to see the separation).

We are only a few months removed from a frightening sight, for PSU Wrestling fans, at the Rutgers dual...which ended ok, but would have affected the outcome in Cleveland. It should not be forgotten, if for nothing else than a reminder as to how unforgiving this sport can be.

I still hope and wish for all to be injury-free, and noticed others above did as well. At least it's being recognized as a factor...or the great equalizer.

Returning NCAA Points is an imperfect stat but the best starting point we have.

Returning in 2019: PSU 117.0, anOSU 77.5

Ryan's gonna need an excavator to dig out of a 40 pt hole.

Reactions: diggerpup
Returning NCAA Points is an imperfect stat but the best starting point we have.

Returning in 2019: PSU 117.0, anOSU 77.5

Ryan's gonna need an excavator to dig out of a 40 pt hole.
Tan Tom will petition the NCAA for Kyle Snyder to get a 6th year. Basis of the appeal is that Snyder was only available for about half the matches the last 3 years.

That's a big IF. 25 points is the equivalent of three 8th place AA's or two mid AA's. That's a lot to ask of three freshmen, two of which would be true freshmen. Let's remember that both Zain and Nick Lee took 5th place with 12 and 11.5 points respectively. My expectations are that we see something like 15 points from those three weights, but would be happy if we got more. The good news is that Lee, Rasheed/Cassar, and Nevills all have great opportunities to climb the podium and recover the remainder of what we lose from Zain.

I see your point. I guess I'm spoiled with all the success our Fr have enjoyed over the past several years.

I do see a path for a couple AAs though. As things stand only 3 AAs return at 149, and if rumors prove true, only 3 AAs at 125. 133 could be loaded though.

I know it's early, but there might be a lot of room on the podium at 125 and 149 for a talented Fr.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I see your point. I guess I'm spoiled with all the success our Fr have enjoyed over the past several years.

I do see a path for a couple AAs though. As things stand only 3 AAs return at 149, and if rumors prove true, only 3 AAs at 125. 133 could be loaded though.

I know it's early, but there might be a lot of room on the podium at 125 and 149 for a talented Fr.
I'm certainly hopeful about all of our freshmen, and am looking forward to the next wave of talent to hit the mat. It's been several years since we we've seen a large turnover for the team. The next two years will see almost a complete overhaul.

Tan Tom will petition the NCAA for Kyle Snyder to get a 6th year. Basis of the appeal is that Snyder was only available for about half the matches the last 3 years.

Snyder doesn't need a 6th year as he has only wrestled 4 (and only part of 3 of those) so far in college. :D

Expectations not met, in this case. What now? Last week we were told Schram was not going to get that final year, but as of today, we are now being told that the offer to Zeke was "non committable", as Schram was locked in. I suppose we will find out, but Tan Tom is back to square one now.

Expectations not met, in this case. What now? Last week we were told Schram was not going to get that final year, but as of today, we are now being told that the offer to Zeke was "non committable", as Schram was locked in. I suppose we will find out, but Tan Tom is back to square one now.

Nailed this one dead center.....didn't I? Next thing you know....someone will tell me the Flyers aren't winning the Stanley Cup this year. :)

Nailed this one dead center.....didn't I? Next thing you know....someone will tell me the Flyers aren't winning the Stanley Cup this year. :)

I found the storyline offered up by team tan to be a bit confusing though. Just two days ago Schram was not getting his final year, and now he is a dead solid lock and that's why Moisey went to Lincoln.

I found the storyline offered up by team tan to be a bit confusing though. Just two days ago Schram was not getting his final year, and now he is a dead solid lock and that's why Moisey went to Lincoln.
What "storyline" did "team tan offer up"?

Not what PSU fans said -- what team tan said.

Link it if you got it.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
ADVERTISEMENT