ADVERTISEMENT

Will / Can Ohio State Punt Next Year ?

It doesn’t sound like any of those guys are redshirting. To be honest Pletcher redshirting never made any sense anyway. He was going to be there in 2020 regardless and you don’t need him overlapping Decatur more that he already will be. As far as I know Te’shan is going 174 next year and Romero will go 165. There is a transfer in the works at 125 but it’s certainly not a lock.

It doesn’t sound like any of those guys are redshirting. To be honest Pletcher redshirting never made any sense anyway. He was going to be there in 2020 regardless and you don’t need him overlapping Decatur more that he already will be. As far as I know Te’shan is going 174 next year and Romero will go 165. There is a transfer in the works at 125 but it’s certainly not a lock.
makes sense from cost analysis i guess. keeping those studs around could handicap your schollies. Screwing that up could then domino for years after. So you take a run at it and move on I guess.

looks like we are battling destiny next year

then iowa gets their chance in 2020 and

tO$U is back in the debate in 2021.

Romero to 165 and they are moving Campbell up to 174. From their insider, and I can't recall the name but sure that many others know of him. Looks like Tan Tom is all in again?.
How does Romero at 165 and Campbell to 174 indicate that tOSU is all in? The question is whether McKenna and Martin redshirt. If those two redshirt, it means punting for 2018-19 for a run in 2019-20. And in that case, Ryan might as well redshirt Pletcher in 2018-19 as well.

Also, Campbell moving to 174 makes sense. He was a huge 165 pounder and tended to gas, sometimes badly. A move up at 174 may help.

makes sense from cost analysis i guess. keeping those studs around could handicap your schollies. Screwing that up could then domino for years after. So you take a run at it and move on I guess.

looks like we are battling destiny next year

then iowa gets their chance in 2020 and

tO$U is back in the debate in 2021.
Iowa could realistically finish 2nd next year. I think Murin is gonna be real good for them at 141 could walk away with 7 AA’s and a champ

I created the post because I was having a hard time believing what FLO and others were saying about Ohio State having to punt next year. My biggest concern was that it would really mess up their scholarships going forward. Plus there is no guarantee they win it in 2020. Iowa and Okie State are going to be even better in 2020 than next year. PSU is also going to be tough as well. Add in Michigan, Arizona State, Minnesota and N.C. State.....going to be a very interesting and enjoyable year. I also wondered how McKenna and Martin would feel about another full year of practice while sitting the bench. I laughed when the thought crossed my mind that McKenna and Martin could finish their degree and say.....screw this......I am going to graduate school somewhere else and wrestle there my final year :) Heads would explode in Columbus

Reactions: Lyons212
Iowa could realistically finish 2nd next year. I think Murin is gonna be real good for them at 141 could walk away with 7 AA’s and a champ
very true.

Im not high on murin or young and they may not even start, but as PA kids no problem being wrong.

I dont see how wilke at 184 is better than wilke at 197.

then there is the abyss at 133

Does Lugo get a room bump

There is also the SR curse at iowa, that I hope doesnt bite stoll considering he was already robbed of 2 Ncaas.

but they are certainly in the discussion for .....2nd :eek::D

very true.

Im not high on murin or young and they may not even start, but as PA kids no problem being wrong.

I dont see how wilke at 184 is better than wilke at 197.

then there is the abyss at 133

Does Lugo get a room bump

There is also the SR curse at iowa, that I hope doesnt bite stoll considering he was already robbed of 2 Ncaas.

but they are certainly in the discussion for .....2nd :eek::D
I don’t know about Young but I think Murin is their best option at 141 based on his results compared to the other 2 though I guess Dugan may try to wrestle 141 for them next year. Think Lugo should slide in at 149. I think Dhesi is back with a 6th year and Minny could wrestle Steveson out the gate plus Stoll and Nevills split this year. He’s an AA imo but championship would be above my expectations

I don’t know about Young but I think Murin is their best option at 141 based on his results compared to the other 2 though I guess Dugan may try to wrestle 141 for them next year. Think Lugo should slide in at 149. I think Dhesi is back with a 6th year and Minny could wrestle Steveson out the gate plus Stoll and Nevills split this year. He’s an AA imo but championship would be above my expectations

Nick beat stoll twice 3-2 and 5-2 before losing at ncaas in OT. not that sam wont be ranked higher but, those Ws for Nick get lost in the discussions I have heard.

Turk i thought turned a corner later in the year. but again I would root for the PA kid to be the starter.

Dhesi has the 6th year, but I don't know if he's actually going to take it. Don't see why he wouldn't, but I've heard both sides, so we'll see.

Bruce: You do realize you sort of made my point AND your point, right? You asked how the swap means Ryan is all in, then you go on to make the case for why Campbell should move up? I don't know, I'm guessing. Off season is fun to speculate and guess on things, then you find out. My own project is Ryan and whether he is all in. Others are mulling over the Iowa lineup. There is the coaching carousel, and then weight changes, plus who is transferring and where to. Lots of stuff. Today alone was comical with Ghost K trolling about Casey to Michigan, only to be shut down, literally less than 30 minutes after the troll job, with the new Michigan Hire. LOL.

I'm saying Tan Tom all in, you're saying not so fast, part of the fun. I say Campbell at 174=Campbell at 165, gas, no gas, half a tank, full tank, whatever. Tan Tom is at Tanning HQ and once again playing "Battleship" trying to match his guys to our guys.

I don't know if Murin starts but his results confirm what those who watched him in HS said a year ago: good wrestler, should qualify for nationals if he starts, but a guy who might not score a lot in college. Had 2 bonus wins vs. D1 competition on the opens circuit, most matches in the 5-2 range. Guys like that are more susceptible to postseason upsets.

Turk seems to have more offense. His biggest issue is beating the wrong McKenna (NW Alec, not Tan Joey).

The wildcard in the shirt/no shirt discussion is what commitments the coach has made to the wrestlers and family. This isn't 1987 anymore where a wrestler was getting a full scholarship and the coach dictated when a wrestler took a year off. There are financial considerations, promises made during recruiting, post-graduate plans that all must be considered and coaches who want to keep their recruiting engine going need to make sure they live up to the commitments they've made to their wrestlers. None of us know what those commitments are.

Reactions: RandyL
The assumption that you can redshirt a guy late in his career and he comes back stronger just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I think you might see a drop off in many cases due to cutting weight for years, the grind of college or the wrestler just ready to move on. IMO it’s an entirely different dynamic than the kid needing it early in his career to adjust to college life.

Nick beat stoll twice 3-2 and 5-2 before losing at ncaas in OT. not that sam wont be ranked higher but, those Ws for Nick get lost in the discussions I have heard.

Turk i thought turned a corner later in the year. but again I would root for the PA kid to be the starter.

Plus his meet after he had a heavily wrapped shoulder, so injury probably contibuted to the one loss versus his healthy two wins. Yet HR has annointed him #1 going into the season.

The assumption that you can redshirt a guy late in his career and he comes back stronger just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I think you might see a drop off in many cases due to cutting weight for years, the grind of college or the wrestler just ready to move on. IMO it’s an entirely different dynamic than the kid needing it early in his career to adjust to college life.
Worked out really well for Nico.

With you on this, but that's not the point. Others are saying a redshirt year for the McKenna's and Martin's of the Buckeye team make for a stronger Brutus in 2019-20...so the redshirt year isn't about them coming back stronger, it's about a known commodity coming back and fighting for a team championship when PSU loses 3 of its guns.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I guess I'd ask for some data. What guys shirted after their SO or JR years and came back worse?

Theoretically someone could return worse.

But theoretically everyone should develop further with each year, so Year 5 > Year 4 > Year 3, etc. Barring injury. (Though this did not happen for Tsirtsis.)

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
With you on this, but that's not the point. Others are saying a redshirt year for the McKenna's and Martin's of the Buckeye team make for a stronger Brutus in 2019-20...so the redshirt year isn't about them coming back stronger, it's about a known commodity coming back and fighting for a team championship when PSU loses 3 of its guns.
I agree. My point which could have been clearer was that you may not get the same McKenna or Martin two years from now.

I agree. My point which could have been clearer was that you may not get the same McKenna or Martin two years from now.
...and others have said there should be improvement, which honestly is more likely, right? Not getting in the middle of that discussion, except to say that regression would be the least likely scenario.

Having a two-time finalist/5th Place finisher, and a 2-time 3rd Placer in the line-up after a RS year has a benefit in 2019-20, and a detriment for 2018-19, though it's a pay-me-now, pay-me-later argument. Ryan knows the big picture better than anyone here, and I'm hearing he's all in for 2018-19. Time will tell.

.... Heard a birdie chirp that Connor Schram is working on a transfer to tOSU.

Is he going for a 6th year ?

Schram isn't getting Nato's points. He'll get more than Heinselman though, which is what Ryan is looking for. Still, it's not getting him over the hump. Odd decision but as I said, "all in" instead of punting and even going transfer route yet again.

.... Heard a birdie chirp that Connor Schram is working on a transfer to tOSU.

Is he going for a 6th year ?

I don't see how Schram would be eligible for a 6th year. He only missed one season (this one) to injury.

Another Cruisliner from Stanford to tOSU? Borrelli cannot be thrilled TaTo is recruiting his room. Or would this be considered a graduate transfer?

Schram’s profile on Stanford states he already graduated.

But as someone else mentioned; I’m not sure how get granted a 6th year.

Maybe the guy who told me this is outta whack. Lol. But we know Ryan would sign off any anything.

I guess I'd ask for some data. What guys shirted after their SO or JR years and came back worse?

Theoretically someone could return worse.

But theoretically everyone should develop further with each year, so Year 5 > Year 4 > Year 3, etc. Barring injury. (Though this did not happen for Tsirtsis.)

Bo Jordan's worst finish was his last year......Dean Heil had a major drop off his Sr. Year......there are exceptions.

I’m not feeling McKenna as a viable Olympic candidate, but I’m just a fan.
I’m with you.
Bo Jordan's worst finish was his last year......Dean Heil had a major drop off his Sr. Year......there are exceptions.
Dont know about Heil, he played with fire his whole career can say I was suprized. Bo has been battling injuries for last two years. I believe his foot issued took its toll.

Reactions: lionlover
Schram isn't getting Nato's points. He'll get more than Heinselman though, which is what Ryan is looking for. Still, it's not getting him over the hump. Odd decision but as I said, "all in" instead of punting and even going transfer route yet again.
I really thought it’d be a secret till the last hour but what ever o_O No Schram isn’t going to put Ohio State in contention for a title but it gives a chance to stay high in the trophy hunt and redshirt Heinselman. Not much of an odd decision either he was teammates with Joey McKenna for 2 years at Stanford

Reactions: diggerpup
I also said when there was a transfer in the works at 125 it certainly wasn’t a lock to happen. Eligibility would probably be the reason

I also said when there was a transfer in the works at 125 it certainly wasn’t a lock to happen. Eligibility would probably be the reason

Academically? Can't imagine any problems there course load wise. NCAA giving 6th years away like candy though, which is why I hope Cassar gets one also. Looks like the Suriano case has blown the "sit out a year" thing into the past also. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing but that's the way it is in 2018 now, so the age of the transfer is upon us! Wild Wild West....Dhesi got a 6th year and at this point it's up in the air if he even takes it.

Academically? Can't imagine any problems there course load wise. NCAA giving 6th years away like candy though, which is why I hope Cassar gets one also. Looks like the Suriano case has blown the "sit out a year" thing into the past also. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing but that's the way it is in 2018 now, so the age of the transfer is upon us! Wild Wild West....

Suriano had a BIG rule waived so it has nothing to do with NCAA transfer rules or getting a 6th year from NCAA.

They might as well bag next season because Donny Pritzlaff has guaranteed that Rutgers is bringing home a team trophy from Pittsburgh. Apparently he has contracted Rex Ryan disease from Goodale.:rolleyes:

Academically? Can't imagine any problems there course load wise. NCAA giving 6th years away like candy though, which is why I hope Cassar gets one also. Looks like the Suriano case has blown the "sit out a year" thing into the past also. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing but that's the way it is in 2018 now, so the age of the transfer is upon us! Wild Wild West....Dhesi got a 6th year and at this point it's up in the air if he even takes it.
No not academically, it was early in his senior season when he tore his ACL. I somewhat agree with the way the NCAA has been giving 6th years but still it’s not a lock to happen which is probably what he and coach Ryan are waiting on.

The age of the transfer is upon us! Wild Wild West....Dhesi got a 6th year and at this point it's up in the air if he even takes it.

Dhesi is transferring to Ohio State as well. I know this is a rumor because I just started it :) But don't think it hasn't crossed someone's mind in Aruba.

New transfer rumors in:

125: Lee to Ohio State
133: Gross to Ohio State
141: Yianni to Ohio State
149: Kolodzik to Ohio State
157: Kem to Ohio State
165: Chance to Ohio State
174: Valencia to Ohio State
184: No transfers this year
197: No transfers this year
Hwt: Dhesi to Ohio State

He's finally done it: Just enough points to finish 2nd to PSU, by .5 points, lol.

I really thought it’d be a secret till the last hour but what ever o_O No Schram isn’t going to put Ohio State in contention for a title but it gives a chance to stay high in the trophy hunt and redshirt Heinselman. Not much of an odd decision either he was teammates with Joey McKenna for 2 years at Stanford
But will Schram's PSU Alum sister disown him for transferring to Ohio State?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT