ADVERTISEMENT

Who's debut are you most excited to see next year?

Who are you most excited to see unleashed for the first time as a starter?

• SVN

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • Levi

Votes: 53 37.9%
  • Facundo

Votes: 27 19.3%

• Total voters
Better prospect than Mocco?! Come on now. He might prove to be better but other than Gable, Mocco is the best heavyweight recruit ever. I don’t know what level recruit Neal was but that guy somehow gets forgot about when talking about all time greats. He was so damn good. Feldman is a beast no doubt but I don’t think he is that much better than Christian Carroll. If tOSU is smart they redshirt him because next year is not the year to come in as a true freshman. There are 4 legit killers at heavy that I don’t see him touching.
Actually PD3 was the best HWT prospect ever, also the best 184 and 197 prospect ever.

Seriously, this brings up another point: being a 3x champ in any era means beating Mocco multiple times. And Neal multiple times. And McCoy + Neal multiple times. Etc.

Not "or" -- "any" means "and."

So, if they tan-shirt the big 3, whats their lineup looklike?
Looks like Bambi to our Godzilla.

bambi-godzilla.gif

So, if they tan-shirt the big 3, whats their lineup looklike?

I imagine that depends on whether Sasso can still make 149 and if Kharchla can still go 165. I can't remember where I heard it, but there was a rumor of Sasso going up to 157.

125: Heinselman
133: Someone
141: Decatur or D'Emilio
149: Sasso or D'Emilio
157: Someone, or Sasso if he goes up
165: Kharchla, if he can make the weight
174: Smith, or Kharchla if he can't make 165
184: Romero
197: Hoffman
285: Orndorff

I imagine that depends on whether Sasso can still make 149 and if Kharchla can still go 165. I can't remember where I heard it, but there was a rumor of Sasso going up to 157.

125: Heinselman
133: Someone
141: Decatur or D'Emilio
149: Sasso or D'Emilio
157: Someone, or Sasso if he goes up
165: Kharchla, if he can make the weight
174: Smith, or Kharchla if he can't make 165
184: Romero
197: Hoffman
285: Orndorff
Paddy?

Better prospect than Mocco?! Come on now. He might prove to be better but other than Gable, Mocco is the best heavyweight recruit ever. I don’t know what level recruit Neal was but that guy somehow gets forgot about when talking about all time greats. He was so damn good. Feldman is a beast no doubt but I don’t think he is that much better than Christian Carroll. If tOSU is smart they redshirt him because next year is not the year to come in as a true freshman. There are 4 legit killers at heavy that I don’t see him touching.

he's a better prospect that Mocco. Obviously Mocco was more feared. But skillsets aren't even the same. Mocco would have a hard time competing with these guys. A guy like Gwiz would have beaten Mocco.

Feldman is a lot better than Carroll. I know that they had a close match at Who's #1 - but feldman has gotten better and really separated himself. Both wrestled college tournaments this year. One guy placed and the other didn't. But, you're right. He's not beating any of the top 4 next year.

Steveson was a 4x NCAA champ out of HS. We'll see.

I was NOT including Steveson. Steveson is likely the greatest prospect of all time.

Reactions: zzs006
Actually PD3 was the best HWT prospect ever, also the best 184 and 197 prospect ever.

Seriously, this brings up another point: being a 3x champ in any era means beating Mocco multiple times. And Neal multiple times. And McCoy + Neal multiple times. Etc.

Not "or" -- "any" means "and."
well pd3 won titles as every weight 4 times just ask him he will tell you!

My guess only, Ohio State will have the same lineup as this year. Tom probably wants to line up the three studs he got together, even if there is a fit for both of them in the lineup right now or at least one of them.

Same lineup as this year but Paddy at 157.

he's a better prospect that Mocco. Obviously Mocco was more feared. But skillsets aren't even the same. Mocco would have a hard time competing with these guys. A guy like Gwiz would have beaten Mocco.

Feldman is a lot better than Carroll. I know that they had a close match at Who's #1 - but feldman has gotten better and really separated himself. Both wrestled college tournaments this year. One guy placed and the other didn't. But, you're right. He's not beating any of the top 4 next year.

I was NOT including Steveson. Steveson is likely the greatest prospect of all time.
I’m not sure you are remembering how big a recruit Mocco was. Biggest heavyweight recruit ever until Gable came along. He actually didn’t meet expectations in college which speaks to what people thought of him coming in. He was touted as a possible 4 timer with many believing he would do it. I’m not trying to minimize Feldman as a recruit because he is incredible and deserves to be in the conversation with these guys.

Can Ohio redshirt anyone that wrestled this year. Would be smart to do a so called punt year and come on strong next year. Any gray shirts possible?

Can Ohio redshirt anyone that wrestled this year. Would be smart to do a so called punt year and come on strong next year. Any gray shirts possible?
Heinselman is the only returning starter who appears to have a shirt remaining. If he doesn't (or can't) shirt, this is his last year.

Reactions: JOESTROSSER
I’m not sure you are remembering how big a recruit Mocco was. Biggest heavyweight recruit ever until Gable came along. He actually didn’t meet expectations in college which speaks to what people thought of him coming in. He was touted as a possible 4 timer with many believing he would do it. I’m not trying to minimize Feldman as a recruit because he is incredible and deserves to be in the conversation with these guys.

I graduated in 01. So I remember exactly how big a recruit Mocco was. He was the first (and I believe only ever) true freshman to be ranked in the preseason WIN magazine rankings. We definitely all thought he was going to 4 NCAA ships and all the World and Olympic titles he wanted.

But what I'm saying is - I think Feldman is a better prospect. His athleticism is off the charts. And his diversity of offense is second only to Gable. But he's jumping into the greatest era of heavyweights ever, even getting into the top 4/5 I just don't see happening. Any other era other than running into Snyder, I really do believe he'd win 3 or 4 titles. That includes Kerry/Neal, Mocco/Konrad eras.

I answered SVN simply because I have no clue how he's doing. We've seen Haines, we've seen Facundo. I think they'll both do well and could both AA (provided Haines goes this year).

I have absolutely no clue what SVN will do this year. We haven't seen him in competition since what, November? If he can get out from bottom, and hasn't been infected with the same offensive paralysis that sometimes gets BB, he's an offensive force that a lot of people will have a hard time dealing with. He may get caught under someone on a bad shot and give up 2 on a go behind, but he'll score more than he gives up and that's fine with him.

I'm anxious for "the beginning of the year" meltdown and then the progression till the end of the year.

This plus: if Cael were pushing for Hopke, then why did Neves (same class as Hopke) do the soft verbal?
Hopke is going to be better than Mullen, and Neves ..... and dare I say Feldman? Just maybe.

FIFU myself

Last edited:
It's pretty amazing to think we have 4 returning champs and an AA and rightly so are the odds on favorite to repeat. However; in reality 1/2 of the team are either brand new or somewhat unknown qualities.

What other program in history could make such a claim (besides some of our previous squads of course)

125 - Unknown recovering from injury, should be very good
133 - NC
141 - Unknown, new to this weight, should be very good
149 - new, should be great
157 - new, should be great (assuming we go with Levi)
165 - new, should be great
174 - NC
185 - NC
197 - NC
Hwy - AA

I remain quite concerned with Robbie's health, granted it is good news of you can call it that, that this latest injury was an elbow an not that shoulder.

141-165 is going to be so fun to watch, start popping the popcorn now. It's early yet but a good follow on poll question is who in this 4 man group do you see finishing highest at nationals? A couple have relatively weak weight classes to face, which may be the most important factor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT