ADVERTISEMENT

Who's debut are you most excited to see next year?

Who are you most excited to see unleashed for the first time as a starter?

• SVN

Votes: 60 42.9%
  • Levi

Votes: 53 37.9%
  • Facundo

Votes: 27 19.3%

• Total voters

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
Placing our interest in Howard, and Beau at the correct weight aside, I am finding it hard to curb my enthusiasm or interest for any of our three new studs.

Sky’s the limit for SVN if he stays healthy.
How high do we think this kid can finish at nats realistically. Just wondering. Part of me thinks pretty high but we haven't seen much of him last year. Don't want to place unrealistic expectations on the young man but I'm hoping he comes out with a bang

How high do we think this kid can finish at nats realistically. Just wondering. Part of me thinks pretty high but we haven't seen much of him last year. Don't want to place unrealistic expectations on the young man but I'm hoping he comes out with a bang
Ceiling? I think 2nd (nobody is beating Yianni) if he cleaned his defense up in the room this year, obviously injuries is key also with him. I know he broke one of his legs and then was braced up this year also. Hopefully they were just freak things rather than reoccuring. His attack rate is ridiculous but he can get sloppy at times (maybe because he feels he can get the points back easily)

But we're operating on just a lot of hype since he only wrestled 2 matches last year.

I will say, I just rewatched Van Ness' 2nd match at Clarion. Gave up a sloppy takedown right away but went right into a knee pick to pin. He was moving around well and was jumping up and down in the center looking energized and ready to go after the match but he would MFF after that and not wrestle again this season so who knows.

SVN has Nolf like potential with his attack rate and gas tank. Also gives up a few early tds like Nolf did on occasion because they know they can get them back. Might not be as creative as Nolf but otherwise I think it’s a decent comparison. I’m talking style. Hopefully results as well but we will see on that front

Reactions: danoftw and El-Jefe
SVN for me, like I said in the WTT thread I hope Haines takes a redshirt.

SVN has Nolf like potential with his attack rate and gas tank. Also gives up a few early tds like Nolf did on occasion because they know they can get them back. Might not be as creative as Nolf but otherwise I think it’s a decent comparison. I’m talking style. Hopefully results as well but we will see on that front
The insanity of having new "once in a generation" wrestlers every other year is never going to get old.

Clearly my vote goes to SVN. Why? He was considered near the very top of the recruiting class as an early Jr. Then he suffered a few losses and ended up with some injuries. He finished his Jr. year ranked 5th at his weight class. His Sr. year he climbed a bit but again....nagging injuries....but still ranked 4th or 5th on the Big Board. His freshman red shirt year. Looked great for 2 matches and the nagging injuries again ended his redshirt year. He has a gas tank to envy and an aggressive style to enjoy. Will he stay heathy? How much has he progressed through the time off for injuries? I think he has the highest ceiling of the three but the most questions as well. Really looking forward to how he fares this year

In the minority here it looks like, but I’m going Facundo. His early results have everyone down on him it seems, but I thinks he’s going to exceed the consensus expectations.

Reactions: TexasLion1979
@smalls103 Who are you most excited to see at the college level?
Penn State or elsewhere?? Often times we have our blue and whites on and don't see elsewhere clearly.

Debute?

State College is full of De-beauts.

Haines,then SVN for me but feel Cujo may surprise us.

Yeah.

This got me to thinking, another thread could be who's new big three do you like better and why? SVN + Haynes + Facundo vs tOSUs Feldman + Bouzakus + Mendez. Let's just assume all 6 we're in the same class for the sake of the exercise.

If I am being honest, without my white and blue glasses on, I would have to say tOSUs three. That is a fair assessment as recruits walking in the door as true freshmen.

The beauty of our program is Cael, and his system. I am 100% confident he will develop our group more 'optimally'.

It will be interesting to see who end up with more individual national champions when all is said and done. A tough one for our kids as I see Feldman in particular as an out of the gate finalist no matter what school he attends. Let's hope injury plays no part in this contest.

Yeah.

This got me to thinking, another thread could be who's new big three do you like better and why? SVN + Haynes + Facundo vs tOSUs Feldman + Bouzakus + Mendez. Let's just assume all 6 we're in the same class for the sake of the exercise.

If I am being honest, without my white and blue glasses on, I would have to say tOSUs three. That is a fair assessment as recruits walking in the door as true freshmen.

The beauty of our program is Cael, and his system. I am 100% confident he will develop our group more 'optimally'.

It will be interesting to see who end up with more individual national champions when all is said and done. A tough one for our kids as I see Feldman in particular as an out of the gate finalist no matter what school he attends. Let's hope injury plays no part in this contest.
If Feldman wrestles this year making the finals will be a task.

Yeah.

The problem that tOSU has is that Bouzakis and Mendez are the same weight. Mendez is a little taller and MIGHT have the frame to go 141, eventually. I don't think Bouzakis will ever wrestle above 61kg.

One of them will go 133 this year, the other will RS. Or, both will RS, but that seems unlikely. If one of them goes this year, that means they only get three years with all three of them in the lineup together, unless someone takes an Oly RS later on.

That's a big if. Orndorff has this year left and it's not like Feldman's points will do them any good.

If they were going to wrestle all 3 it makes sense. But since they aren't. They should redshirt them all. Feldman is no better than 5th next year (Schultz, Kerk, Parris, Cass) - and yeah. everyone better pray that Gable doesn't come back.

It's crazy, because in any other era Feldman is winning 3/4 titles. Now, he be lucky to win 2.

If they were going to wrestle all 3 it makes sense. But since they aren't. They should redshirt them all. Feldman is no better than 5th next year (Schultz, Kerk, Parris, Cass) - and yeah. everyone better pray that Gable doesn't come back.

It's crazy, because in any other era Feldman is winning 3/4 titles. Now, he be lucky to win 2.
No slight to Feldman, fanastic prospect, not so sure about that "any other era" part.

Not when looking at lists of HWT champs.

For starters: Kerry McCoy didn’t get 3. Neither did Angle, Mocco, Neal, Banach, Gwiz ...

And then there's the entre UNL era.

The problem that tOSU has is that Bouzakis and Mendez are the same weight. Mendez is a little taller and MIGHT have the frame to go 141, eventually. I don't think Bouzakis will ever wrestle above 61kg.

One of them will go 133 this year, the other will RS. Or, both will RS, but that seems unlikely. If one of them goes this year, that means they only get three years with all three of them in the lineup together, unless someone takes an Oly RS later on.

Was thinking Mendez wrestled at 138 this year, would he be the more likely one to go 141 after RS year?

No slight to Feldman, fanastic prospect, not so sure about that "any other era" part.

Not when looking at lists of HWT champs.

For starters: Kerry McCoy didn’t get 3. Neither did Angle, Mocco, Neal, Banach, Gwiz ...

And then there's the entre UNL era.

And I think he's a better prospect than all of them. He's a Snyder-lite in his ability to finish leg attacks. and he actually has a bigger arsenal. Same gas tank as well.

Was thinking Mendez wrestled at 138 this year, would he be the more likely one to go 141 after RS year?
I believe that’s been the thinking but he seems to have not grown like people thought. He just competed at 61kg this past weekend so it definitely looks like he will be at 133 this year. I’m sure tOSU is hoping he grows into 141 otherwise either him or Bouzakis is going to have to wrestle up a weight like Bartlett did this year. Will be interesting to follow.
I chose Facundo. He is definitely at the toughest weight so the others may outplace him but I still think most here are selling him short. People look at his redshirt year and are really down on him but I think his ceiling his extremely high. I think he will win multiple titles before he’s done. I think he’s going to have a great worlds which has translated really well into having a great folkstyle season as well. He is going to surprise a lot of people and shut down this silly notion that he doesn’t have high level offense. Kid is going to be great

Last edited:
And I think he's a better prospect than all of them. He's a Snyder-lite in his ability to finish leg attacks. and he actually has a bigger arsenal. Same gas tank as well.
Better prospect than Mocco?! Come on now. He might prove to be better but other than Gable, Mocco is the best heavyweight recruit ever. I don’t know what level recruit Neal was but that guy somehow gets forgot about when talking about all time greats. He was so damn good. Feldman is a beast no doubt but I don’t think he is that much better than Christian Carroll. If tOSU is smart they redshirt him because next year is not the year to come in as a true freshman. There are 4 legit killers at heavy that I don’t see him touching.

That's a big if. Orndorff has this year left and it's not like Feldman's points will do them any good.
Pretty sure their plan is to redshirt Feldman, at least for now. Obviously injuries and how the season is going could impact things. 22/23 isn't the Buckeyes year, but after that they should be in the mix.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE

Yeah. I don't think they are going to throw Feldman out there to pick up 10-12pts and take them from 13th to 7th. That's a waste of a year of eligibility, particularly if there is even a miniscule chance that Gable comes back.

Also, I wonder how long Kharchla is going to be able to make 165. That kid looks HUGE for the weight. If he goes up to 174, they likely have a net loss of points with Ethan Smith likely being out of the lineup.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Yeah. I don't think they are going to throw Feldman out there to pick up 10-12pts and take them from 13th to 7th. That's a waste of a year of eligibility, particularly if there is even a miniscule chance that Gable comes back.

Also, I wonder how long Kharchla is going to be able to make 165. That kid looks HUGE for the weight. If he goes up to 174, they likely have a net loss of points with Ethan Smith likely being out of the lineup.
So, if they tan-shirt the big 3, whats their lineup looklike?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT