ADVERTISEMENT

What recruit are you most excited for?

Who are you most excited about?

• Total voters
Since some of our stodgy stick in the mud, Ivy league ahoy palloys don't like psycho, I have suggestions for the new nickname that are more fitting of their era ..

"Whitey"
"Bud"
"Fonz"
"Bunny"
"Tiger"
"Boy Scout"
"Gipper"

Technically a HS senior but moved to SC to train at NLWC/M2.

Was hoping maybe L3 and Sealey might as well.
I'm thinking rider is going to be the most impressive of the upper weight guys he has that IT factor and shows a lot of heart and commitment to be the best. Can't wait for this kid to wrestle our line up in a couple years is going to be ****ing sick. Not that it isn't now but damn we have some big names coming in.

Cael has turned kids away.
And has done so for at least a decade. Possibly from his first year here.

Some pretty big names too. Thomas Haines and Brooks Black we all know about. I know of another (am sworn to secrecy, I grew up with his dad) who was #1 in the country at his weight for 2 years, trained with NLWC more than occasionally, and was told no room at the inn.

There have been others where it's not clear if Cael turned them away. Maybe he did, or maybe they saw the writing on the wall. They wanted to come to PSU pretty badly, then suddenly changed direction when Cael landed someone else at their weights. Kindig comes to mind here.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
Training with David Taylor like Haines & Kasak did the last 2 years.
Certainly other elite clubs have forged tight bonds with various D-1 programs, but, the M2-PSU connection seems extraordinary close. I’d guess that the NLWC is also woven into the process. Anyone with inside connections care to offer commentary on how M2 coordinates development?

Certainly other elite clubs have forged tight bonds with various D-1 programs, but, the M2-PSU connection seems extraordinary close. I’d guess that the NLWC is also woven into the process. Anyone with inside connections care to offer commentary on how M2 coordinates development?
PSU and NLWC athletes can coach there.

PSU coaches can make "guest coach" appearances but cannot be regulars, since at any given time most M2 trainees are younger than NCAA allowable first contact in recruiting.

Likewise I doubt the PSU coaches give Taylor any kind of development plan for his trainees. That would be college coaching by proxy. But they will answer whatever questions he asks.

If 184, he'll (Ryder) compete with Barr. At 174, we might have Facundo and him going at it. I'm afraid someone's going to be sitting.
Well, next year Ryder (& Healey, too) will probably RS if both Facundo and Barr are healthy unless he is clearly better than them. After that, Duke, Henckel, and Asher are thrown into the mix as well, so, yeah, there's aren't enough spots for everyone and multiple guys are going to have to sit or portal eventually.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12

Some pretty big names too. Thomas Haines and Brooks Black we all know about. I know of another (am sworn to secrecy, I grew up with his dad) who was #1 in the country at his weight for 2 years, trained with NLWC more than occasionally, and was told no room at the inn.

There have been others where it's not clear if Cael turned them away. Maybe he did, or maybe they saw the writing on the wall. They wanted to come to PSU pretty badly, then suddenly changed direction when Cael landed someone else at their weights. Kindig comes to mind here.
Travis Wittlake also.

Reactions: danoftw and El-Jefe
Well, next year Ryder (& Healey, too) will probably RS if both Facundo and Barr are healthy unless he is clearly better than them. After that, Duke, Henckel, and Asher are thrown into the mix as well, so, yeah, there's aren't enough spots for everyone and multiple guys are going to have to sit or portal eventually.
Hopefully we can go back to a more dense schedule. With the 5 available dates for redshirts, our current starters are hardly provided enough matches to get over the minimum, especially if they give up 5 dual dates to an underling.

PS - what ever happened to the concept of extra matches? I really enjoyed them granted the competition was a bit lacking.

We definitely have to keep the bench happy so to speak and the more opportunities in front of a crowd the better. I hope we see more open tourneys next year. Cael mentioned there are two tourneys upcoming where we might send some guys. Even so I predict over the next 3 years we will see several really good wrestlers portal out. I could name names but that is a bit rude and just my worthless opinion.

Hopefully we can go back to a more dense schedule. With the 5 available dates for redshirts, our current starters are hardly provided enough matches to get over the minimum, especially if they give up 5 dual dates to an underling.

PS - what ever happened to the concept of extra matches? I really enjoyed them granted the competition was a bit lacking.

We definitely have to keep the bench happy so to speak and the more opportunities in front of a crowd the better. I hope we see more open tourneys next year. Cael mentioned there are two tourneys upcoming where we might send some guys. Even so I predict over the next 3 years we will see several really good wrestlers portal out. I could name names but that is a bit rude and just my worthless opinion.
Extra matches disappeared along with all our other freedoms, Covid,and cheap gas.

Reactions: hlstone and bmw199

And I don’t believe he regrets saying no to any of them…

Maybe, but he did transfer in. Guessing he was told he'd have to walk on, got a ride from Sparky, then later thought walking on at PSU was ok.
Transfered in? Forgot that I guess, I just know he was all in for PSU from a very young age. See Dalton Perry.

NIL has made the 9.9 scholarship restriction irrelevant. NIL, the coaching, the training partners (both in the room and at NLWC) makes the siren call of the Penn State wrestling program the most attractive program ever. NIL has changed everything. Kids who would normally look elsewhere because of financing don't have that problem now.

NIL has made the 9.9 scholarship restriction irrelevant. NIL, the coaching, the training partners (both in the room and at NLWC) makes the siren call of the Penn State wrestling program the most attractive program ever. NIL has changed everything. Kids who would normally look elsewhere because of financing don't have that problem now.
I get your point, but call me naive.

I remain quite skeptical that 'real' money is out there for most of the really big blue chipper wrestlers out there.

Summer camp stipends, and some $5-$10k endorsement deals from local establishments, maybe a car lease, .... sure, I can be convinced.

$50-$100k plus cash for non Top 10 national football program 5 stars? I am not so sure. Even the rumors of offers from Iowa and Michigan have not convinced me these wrestler deals are real or frequent.

Money makes the world go around these days, but I just don't see it for wrestling, yet. Not the first time I have been called naive.

Even without NIL, I think Cael's results speak for themselves, and with this program, demonstrated long term excellence, the NLWC and the Portal combined, money just might be inconsequential to the kids who want to be the best above all else.

Reactions: hlstone
Yeah, with 9.9, it’s impossible to go two deep with hammers like Cael is building here.
I get your point, but call me naive.

I remain quite skeptical that 'real' money is out there for most of the really big blue chipper wrestlers out there.

Summer camp stipends, and some $5-$10k endorsement deals from local establishments, maybe a car lease, .... sure, I can be convinced.

$50-$100k plus cash for non Top 10 national football program 5 stars? I am not so sure. Even the rumors of offers from Iowa and Michigan have not convinced me these wrestler deals are real or frequent.

Money makes the world go around these days, but I just don't see it for wrestling, yet. Not the first time I have been called naive.

Even without NIL, I think Carla results speak for themselves, and with this program, deviated long term excellence, the NLWC and the Portal, money just might be inconsequential to the kids who want to be the best above all else.
If the NIL money is for the actual added value of the athlete’s endorsement, then there isn’t going to be a lot for wrestlers. It’s not a money sport. So you have to believe these guys are just throwing money at the athletes for their amusement. Which is possible, but I’m not convinced that’s happening at the scale some claim it is.

Is Sealey going to compete above 65? It would be ideal if MM and Levi switch spots. That way, if Sealey takes a RS and a greyshirt, he'll fit right in when Levi graduates.

Is Sealey going to compete above 65? It would be ideal if MM and Levi switch spots. That way, if Sealey takes a RS and a greyshirt, he'll fit right in when Levi graduates.
I don't know what the plan is for Healey, but the logjam is all weights 157-184.

I think the portal is also a big factor. A wrestler can say, "yes I see that logjam PSU has in the middle weights, but I think I'm a world champion and I can win a spot. If I don't, it's ok, I can go elsewhere." I think this is how we're getting two and three deep at some weights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT