ADVERTISEMENT

What does DeSanto to Iowa do

Wow, hundreds you say? For a team that isn't expected to win? With unbridled support like that, the arena in Pittsburgh this year should be about 1/3 full. As I have read here the support is unmatched and there is only one team that even has a chance to win(PSU) this year the other schools would be lucky to bring a hundred fans. So it could be damn near empty. o_O
The guy he was replying to was jokingo_O... both of you should read the original post!

Wow, hundreds you say? For a team that isn't expected to win? With unbridled support like that, the arena in Pittsburgh this year should be about 1/3 full. As I have read here the support is unmatched and there is only one team that even has a chance to win(PSU) this year the other schools would be lucky to bring a hundred fans. So it could be damn near empty. o_O
and you were doing so good lately....

You're really starved for attention this morning, huh?

Sorry to let you down, but touting 'hundreds of fans' can't be ignored.
100s could be as few as 200 as many as 900. I see many more Penn State fans at NCAAs now than what used to be common, but that hardly means PSU was unrepresented prior to the Cael tenure. I wonder how many Hawkeye fans attended NCAAs prior to the run of excellence that started with Kerdelmeier and Gable?

and you were doing so good lately....

Par for the course for CIDHawk. Everyone gets that you are here to poke and prod, but if you once in a while actually joined in a discussion as a wrestling fan without the Shtick, you could maybe teach us barbarians here the "right" way with less pushback.

For example, Turk likes to do the same thing, but he actually joins in discussions as a fan and (gasp!) treats people here like equals, even though he is one of the privileged few. ;)

Point is, relax a bit and don't be so adversarial all the time and who knows, we all may even learn to like one another. Okay, that may be a bit much since there are likely some Giant and Cowgirl fans here...or God forbid, someone who actually likes Bill Bellicheat and the Patsies. :eek:

Knowing there's a bit of sarcasm in the post that NoVa was responding to, his post was serious...and your response uneducated. Guessing you're in your 20's, only way your comments are explainable.

NoVa is a bit older than me, as I keep reminding everyone ;), and I'm heading rapidly towards 62. So to him, "before Cael" goes way back...40+ years, in fact.

History lesson...Even in the 2000's (year 2000 through 2009), Penn State traveled well, and the numbers did amount to "hundreds of fans", I'm guessing 200 to 700, depending on location. Iowa was the last school to have NCAA's "on a college campus", in 2001, so I suspect we travelled in the low hundreds, for example, and closer-to-home venues, provided more fans an opportunity to attend. In the 1990's, all the NCAA Tournaments were on college campuses, and average attendance (all schools) was a bit over 10,000 for each session, and about 13,000 for the finals, though it varied widely. In the 1980's, average attendance for NCAA's was about 8,000 per session.

From my vantage point, PSU fans have always travelled well. Not as well as Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma St., and a few others that were always in the championship hunt, but yes, well enough. Then after inventing wrestling, in 2011 :), the Penn State following increased dramatically, which makes perfect sense to me...not sure why it doesn't to you.

Knowing there's a bit of sarcasm in the post that NoVa was responding to, his post was serious...and your response uneducated. Guessing you're in your 20's, only way your comments are explainable.

NoVa is a bit older than me, as I keep reminding everyone ;), and I'm heading rapidly towards 62. So to him, "before Cael" goes way back...40+ years, in fact.

History lesson...Even in the 2000's (year 2000 through 2009), Penn State traveled well, and the numbers did amount to "hundreds of fans", I'm guessing 200 to 700, depending on location. Iowa was the last school to have NCAA's "on a college campus", in 2001, so I suspect we travelled in the low hundreds, for example, and closer-to-home venues, provided more fans an opportunity to attend. In the 1990's, all the NCAA Tournaments were on college campuses, and average attendance (all schools) was a bit over 10,000 for each session, and about 13,000 for the finals, though it varied widely. In the 1980's, average attendance for NCAA's was about 8,000 per session.

From my vantage point, PSU fans have always travelled well. Not as well as Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma St., and a few others that were always in the championship hunt, but yes, well enough. Then after inventing wrestling, in 2011 :), the Penn State following increased dramatically, which makes perfect sense to me...not sure why it doesn't to you.
I am telling you, for all that overly polite personality of yours when you do the head slap it is very noticeable.
I like it.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I am telling you, for all that overly polite personality of yours when you do the head slap it is very noticeable.
I like it.

There needs to be a font that tells the reader to do so in a British accent.......the brits I know can break you down to your bones but it sounds so much better because of their accent.

might just be me....

#walksofltycarryabigkeyboard

Nicest attempt at chastising me probably ever. Might be a touch out of my 20's. If I missed the sarcasm then I apologize. I may be aware of wrestling attendance BC and the invention of the sport. If 'low hundreds' is proof of the support BC than I guess my our perspectives are different. That being said if the remaining schools with no chance to win 'supported' like that after the invention of wrestling than we wouldn't have the demand that was in Cleveland.

Nicest attempt at chastising me probably ever. Might be a touch out of my 20's. If I missed the sarcasm then I apologize. I may be aware of wrestling attendance BC and the invention of the sport. If 'low hundreds' is proof of the support BC than I guess my our perspectives are different. That being said if the remaining schools with no chance to win 'supported' like that after the invention of wrestling than we wouldn't have the demand that was in Cleveland.

How many NCAA's have you been to?

How did you see the breakdown for schools in Cleveland? How many schools had more than "hundreds" of fans in Cleveland?

There is a reason Cleveland (and Pittsburgh now) was a tough ticket. I'm not sure the main reason was that a lot of schools were bringing a lot of fans. Have you seen where Cleveland is located on a map?

(St. Louis would have been a way better example to support your case but you already used Cleveland)

How many NCAA's have you been to?

How did you see the breakdown for schools in Cleveland? How many schools had more than "hundreds" of fans in Cleveland?

There is a reason Cleveland (and Pittsburgh now) was a tough ticket. I'm not sure the main reason was that a lot of schools were bringing a lot of fans. Have you seen where Cleveland is located on a map?

(St. Louis would have been a way better example to support your case but you already used Cleveland)
i know many psers who got tix through other schools(lehigh,drexel,penn,etc) as the ncaa only had 750 for ps. would be interesting to know what other schools were allotted.

i know many psers who got tix through other schools(lehigh,drexel,penn,etc) as the ncaa only had 750 for ps. would be interesting to know what other schools were allotted.
That is an issue to me. When will the NCAA reevaluate allotments to nationals? It seems Iowa and others are still benefiting allocation-wise from what happened 10 to 20 years ago.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
The NCAA allotted more than the 720 to PSU. After PSU kept what was needed for administrative use which includes for guests of PSU administration there were 720 allotted to PSU by PSU.

I am uncertain the analogy is spot on. Gibbs and DiNozzo are both likeable characters.;)

Sniff, sniff, that hurts my feelings. I was told there was no evil in Pleasantv......sorry Happy Valley. I used Cleveland because tickets were more difficult this year. Fairly certain I understand the geography. Maybe I should just go with.....omg the support from PSU fans has been legendary all the way back to the beginning of time, they were bringing hundreds of fans for eons, once they invented f** wrestling their support took off to legendary levels. Other schools can only hope to sniff the greatness of the hundred+ of fans that have been there.

Sniff, sniff, that hurts my feelings. I was told there was no evil in Pleasantv......sorry Happy Valley. I used Cleveland because tickets were more difficult this year. Fairly certain I understand the geography. Maybe I should just go with.....omg the support from PSU fans has been legendary all the way back to the beginning of time, they were bringing hundreds of fans for eons, once they invented f** wrestling their support took off to legendary levels. Other schools can only hope to sniff the greatness of the hundred+ of fans that have been there.

71%2Br1gAwsZL._SL1500_.jpg

That is an issue to me. When will the NCAA reevaluate allotments to nationals? It seems Iowa and others are still benefiting allocation-wise from what happened 10 to 20 years ago.

My understanding is the allocation of tickets is based on team placements in previous years. The problem is that last season the NCAA cut our (and I believe all other schools) allocation so they could retain more tickets so they could sell them at a greater profit (that part is my speculation but it makes sense to me). Things have changed greatly over the last 20 years. Used to be the demand for tickets was not close to what it is today. NCAAs at PSU in 1999 our tickets were in the top row center mat but except for the finals we sat 40 rows lower because of all the empty seats. Not true any more.

Vodka in disguise. Hello ignore button.

Personally I hope that Iowa is always awarded the largest ticket allotment for Nationals and continue to travel in huge numbers.That way their fans get to enjoy the excitement of watching Penn State win yet another National Championship in person.

Reactions: Ski and D3wrestler
Lee - About as close to a lock as there is
Lugo -Rather optimistic, but 149 does clear out quite a bit
Kemerer - Pretty reasonable
Marinelli - Possible, but odds are against it in what should still be a tough weight
Warner - Very talented, but then so is Ben Darmstadt
Stoll - Not likely, but could happen

So you've got one near lock, one very feasible, and four "could happen" guys. So, yeah, your final number seems about right - two is reasonable and three would be doing real well.

I thought Iowa was going to change their name to Pennsylvania-West next year... LMAO.

BruceK-PSU83 said:
Lee - About as close to a lock as there is
Lugo -Rather optimistic, but 149 does clear out quite a bit
Kemerer - Pretty reasonable
Marinelli - Possible, but odds are against it in what should still be a tough weight
Warner - Very talented, but then so is Ben Darmstadt
Stoll - Not likely, but could happen

So you've got one near lock, one very feasible, and four "could happen" guys. So, yeah, your final number seems about right - two is reasonable and three would be doing real well.

Lugo will be interesting at 149. Not really sure how well he will do, but he could be a factor.
Kemerer-"Pretty reasonable" I suppose, but at 174 it might be a bit more of a risky thing. Strange how one loss in two years to a guy who weighed about 200 pounds, and now Mark Hall is "so beatable". LOL.
Marinelli, I believe, is the one guy that improves, and has a shot to move up a bit on the podium. Still, though, probably a notch or two away from the top rung.
Warner is very talented. But so is BO NICKAL, and if BO NICKAL is at 197, the battle is for 2nd place.
Stoll, yes, that could happen. Let's see about Steveson, and some of the other guys, including Dhesi, who has another year if he wants it. Nick Nevills is really, really good, when he has the use of both of his arms, which he didn't last season.

I presume you are aware of the NCAA allocates tickets for the wrestling championships. That's a huge limitation on the number of fans from any school attending. Except Iowa, of course, which is allocated way more tickets than any other school.

I presume you are aware of the NCAA allocates tickets for the wrestling championships. That's a huge limitation on the number of fans from any school attending. Except Iowa, of course, which is allocated way more tickets than any other school.

How dare you attempt to derail CIDs narrative with facts. :eek:;)

The conversation has changed from PSU fans travel numbers to NCAA Ticket allocation. Here's a bit more about fan travel.

I already mentioned some of the decade averages for overall fan attendance, and that location, mostly, drove PSU attendance. The NCAA model has always been to maximize attendance, and from 1974 through 2001 (all but year 2000 on campuses), or 28 years, it was held 10 times in the state of Iowa, or more than a third. Another 5 were held in the state of Oklahoma. That's more than half held in those two states. Great for attendance at the time, as those were the teams winning, and their fans were showing up.

The model is unchanged...the NCAA still wants max attendance, though now there's more eastern venues, and the results since and including Philly, have been sold out arenas.

The model now appears to be;
1) Only large arenas, holding approx. 20,000 or so
2) With eastern success, more eastern venues

With Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, St. Louis, and Detroit in the current 40-year rotation, PSU attendance will remain high.

I'm not ignoring PSU's success as a reason more fans are attending, just that location was a significant key, historically.

How dare you attempt to derail CIDs narrative with facts. :eek:;)

You may want to tell notsofast about the 'allocation' facts, he claims 10,000 will be PSU fans in Pitt. Can't possibly happen according to the 'facts'. Just an FYI the 'hundreds of fans' comment came from the PSU fans. I wasn't paying much attention to their attendance as wrestling really hadn't been invented yet.

The conversation has changed from PSU fans travel numbers to NCAA Ticket allocation. Here's a bit more about fan travel.

I already mentioned some of the decade averages for overall fan attendance, and that location, mostly, drove PSU attendance. The NCAA model has always been to maximize attendance, and from 1974 through 2001 (all but year 2000 on campuses), or 28 years, it was held 10 times in the state of Iowa, or more than a third. Another 5 were held in the state of Oklahoma. That's more than half held in those two states. Great for attendance at the time, as those were the teams winning, and their fans were showing up.

The model is unchanged...the NCAA still wants max attendance, though now there's more eastern venues, and the results since and including Philly, have been sold out arenas.

The model now appears to be;
1) Only large arenas, holding approx. 20,000 or so
2) With eastern success, more eastern venues

With Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, St. Louis, and Detroit in the current 40-year rotation, PSU attendance will remain high.

I'm not ignoring PSU's success as a reason more fans are attending, just that location was a significant key, historically.
Do you happen to know what the other sites are in the 40 year rotation? I'd like to schedule my hotels for the next 20. :cool:

Do you happen to know what the other sites are in the 40 year rotation? I'd like to schedule my hotels for the next 20. :cool:
Haha...Up till the NCAA announced the next 4-year cycle (Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit), I would have been comfortable saying "St. Louis" for every year...and expected to be right about 50% of the time!! They (St. Louis) had nationals 7 of 15 years prior to Cleveland, and took a run at a permanent bid for the event several years ago. Doesn't matter, not many venues are close to SC, so you'll be travelling, regardless. :)

Haha...Up till the NCAA announced the next 4-year cycle (Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit), I would have been comfortable saying "St. Louis" for every year...and expected to be right about 50% of the time!! They (St. Louis) had nationals 7 of 15 years prior to Cleveland, and took a run at a permanent bid for the event several years ago. Doesn't matter, not many venues are close to SC, so you'll be travelling, regardless. :)
I'll be on the Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro or Nashville trains for the foreseeable future. Maybe Greenville, SC will build a large arena under the, "if we build it large enough, nationals will come" thought process.

It's not the travel that I mind. I just wonder why all nationals are held in cold weather locations in mid March when the south is much warmer. I planted my garden in February.

Reactions: RoarLions1
The thing I find most interesting is the fanbase that travels so well (Iowa) is filled with people who argue no parent would be willing to fork out some cash to help a child attend a dream college with a higher bill than the full ride offer elsewhere. I'm not a financial planner, but shouldn't these people be putting college funds ahead of pleasure trips? Priorities people.

I'll be on the Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro or Nashville trains for the foreseeable future. Maybe Greenville, SC will build a large arena under the, "if we build it large enough, nationals will come" thought process.

It's not the travel that I mind. I just wonder why all nationals are held in cold weather locations in mid March when the south is much warmer. I planted my garden in February.

All of those cities would be awesome. Your task, if you choose to accept it, is to contact the leaders of all these cities and convince them to submit bids to host the D1 NCAA Wrestling Championships.

Meanwhile, I would love to see the tourney moved to mid April.

All of those cities would be awesome. Your task, if you choose to accept it, is to contact the leaders of all these cities and convince them to submit bids to host the D1 NCAA Wrestling Championships.

Meanwhile, I would love to see the tourney moved to mid April.
Nova,
I need to ask, is the mid April wish facetious or sincere?

Have been to about 20 Nationals and have always wondered why at everyone of them always lots of people selling tickets. Does the NCAA allow some people to buy as many as they wish? Have seen some with hands full of all session passes for sale...Have even gone to a few with no ticket in hand and bought them at face value and in the lower section when could not get any from the school.

Absolutely sincere. Better weather and with March Madness over maybe more arenas available.
In exchange for moving away from mid March and the beginning of March Madness we also move from a situation where ESPN loves wrestling to a situation where ESPN feels burdened by wrestling.

Unlike popular opinions wishing for a move to a calendar location allowing wrestling to be the biggest and brightest star, I sincerely believe the NCAA tournament is currently located in the calendar location that allows it to shine its brightest. In mid April the NBA and NHL playoffs are kicking off and baseball is starting. A week earlier than mid April the Masters is being contested.

No matter the calendar selection the NCAA Wrestling Championships are not going to be the star television attraction. Move from the current calendar location and the massive coverage currently given the tournament by ESPN likely becomes something less.

A few southern locations with plenty of golf courses for a stay that may be a few days longer would be good though.

Absolutely sincere. Better weather and with March Madness over maybe more arenas available.
NBA playoffs started April 14, so that would tend to put any city that has an NBA team off the table. First weekend in April might alleviate that and March Madness. But, that doesn't do much for the weather.

Or push it to late July, when the NBA post-season seems to end. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT